Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fishing Guide question? #534586 06/26/05 06:37 PM
H
Hardline Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
I want to take my dad out with a fishing guide fishing for cats. I really want to put him on a ton of fish. Does any one have any imput on who would be a good guide to use. Also, where and what time of year would you try to go. Thanks for any info.

If you give a man a fish you feed him for the day, But if you teach him how to fish you feed him for life.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Fishing Guide question? #534587 06/26/05 07:28 PM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Theres lots of guides around that can do just what you ask. What lake do you want to fish, what time of year, do you want to catch a limit of 1.5-3 lb fish or a nice mess of bigger fish 10-30 lb?
By knowing the answers to the above questions I will be glad to make some suggestions on a guide, as I'm sure several others will also.

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Fishing Guide question? #534588 06/26/05 08:03 PM
H
Hardline Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
If i were able to do the fishing in the DFW area that would be great but we would be willing to travel a reasonable distance. If you have sugestions for each a trip with 1.5 to 3 and a trip for 10 to 30 lb fish that would be great.

If you give a man a fish you feed him for the day, But if you teach him how to fish you feed him for life.
Re: Fishing Guide question? #534589 06/26/05 10:27 PM
TxCatfishGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Hardline

Take a look at our website at www.txcatfishguide.com we have been known to catch a catfish or two here and there laugh Most lakes we fish are within a resonable drive of Mansfield.

Winter is the best time for big fish in good numbers. Spring, Summer or Fall will produce numbers of 1-3 Lb Box Fish. There is tons of information and photos on the site, again www.txcatfishguide.com

Cedar Creek is probably the "best" lake we fish and is a short drive from Mansfield down 287.

WWW.TXCATFISHGUIDE.COM

Re: Fishing Guide question? #534590 06/26/05 10:38 PM
T
Trebor Neil Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Hardline,
Just my 02. But--- You'd be very hard pressed to find better then Jackie or Chad of TexasFishingGuide.com, they really know their trade.

You bettcha!
[Linked Image]
oofta!
Re: Fishing Guide question? #534591 06/27/05 12:42 AM
David Lee Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Quote:
Originally posted by Hooker:
Hardline,
Just my 02. But--- You'd be very hard pressed to find better then Jackie or Chad of TexasFishingGuide.com, they really know their trade.
I agree with Hooker. If I was hiring a catfish guide it would be Jackie or Chad. Or Jerry on Lavon.

Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
Yes I did admit defeat. Good job back to back champion
Re: Fishing Guide question? #534592 06/27/05 02:05 PM
H
HonkyVoodooFishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Chris Watson...903-654-1765...mostly fishes Cedar Creek and Richland Chambers, best there is.

Instagram @honkyvoodoofishing
Re: Fishing Guide question? #534593 06/27/05 05:28 PM
J
Jack Spirko Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I have not yet hired those boys (I WILL SOMEDAY, proablly after the burning days of summer pass) but the rep they have online in many forums and from many folks is exceptional.

Few suggestions for anyone hiring a guide for any trip. These will make your trip better and more rewarding.

1. What do you want from your trip most. Do you want mostly fish with them doing all the work in putting you on them or do you want an education in how to find em. Do you want lots to eat or trophy fish. What exactly will make you feel your trip was a success. Tell your guide this. It will help them do their best for your needs or IF they do not have the ability to deliver on the trip you want they will tell you what they can do or recommend someone else more fitting for your needs.

2. Bring only what they say you need. Don't second guess them they already know the lake and fish better then you so don't drag a huge box of tackle or giant ice chest on their boat with out at least discussing it before you show up.

3. Understand it is FISHING not SHOPING so you may have a less then perfect day with any guide on ANY LAKE on any given day. Most will make it right for you with some sort of make up or dicount if it is really a skunked day. Don't blame the guide even a 30 year vet will have a hard time finding them once in a while.

4. If you guide says it is too windy or the weather is bad for any reason and wants to change the date of your trip DO IT because they certainly are not trying to avoid having a paying customer they are looking out for you.

5. Pay attention to what you are told to do in the presentation and technique of fishing. I have watched a very good Sand Bass Guide (Howell Dood) tell clients how to slab over and over only to have them not keep the line tight on decent and they did not catch anywere near as many fish as they could. There are subtle parts to presenting any bait, leave your ego at home and do all you can to emulate what you guide shows you.

6. Understand you guide is busting his back end every day to help people catch fish. His work begins before you show up and ends long after you are home popping open a beer. If you think about this you will be in a great shape. Why? Because it will show to your guide that you appreciate his hard work, he will work harder for you and do more for you and be willing to do so as often as you want to hire him. If you see him as just a means to get some fish your better off at the store buying them in paper. A guide is not making a killing on you he expenses are high, his living subject to the whims of the weather and noshows and rising fule cost, etc. If you understand a guide works real hard and appreciate him for it, he will know you feel that way and your trip will be great for both of you.

7. As mentioned in #6 guides work hard and do so because they love what they do and want to share what they love with others. Being a guide is not about making a ton of money but generaly making enough to provide a way to do what they love. That said, DO NOT FORGET TO TIP YOUR GUIDE. Good days should get better trips then less successful ones but you should always tip at some level (damn sure tip when they clean 30 fish or more for you). A tip helps to cover additional expenses, keeps em in business so you can have them to take you out and tells them you appreciate their hard work. You tip the waitress right, the bar tender rigth. Your guide works harder for you then they do. Always tip your guides it is the right thing to do.

Just so ya'll know I am not nor do I plan on becomming a guide. So I am not trying to pad my own business here. I have however, hired guides from British Columbia to South America and following these rules has turned my guides into friends and has made all my experience on the water better.

Indeed the education I have gained from my guides is priceless.

Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast
Re: Fishing Guide question? #534594 06/27/05 06:02 PM
A
agfisher02 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
It will be hard to beat Chad with North Texas. He will put you on a ton of fish, and give you a good fishing.

Fightin' Texas Aggies
Class of '02

Re: Fishing Guide question? #534595 06/27/05 06:55 PM
T
towerofsong Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Well written post Jack.

Re: Fishing Guide question? #534596 06/28/05 09:22 AM
B
Bob_Ivie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Yeah, I'm really glad I read that. I am planning a trip with a guide, soon.

I know it sounds terrible, but it would have never crossed my mind to tip the guide.

I would have really felt terrible had I read this post after the trip.

Re: Fishing Guide question? #534597 06/28/05 01:08 PM
R
Ranger Rick Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Shop around ask for references.
Compare prices
Ask for references,
Also ,see how cocky they act in the email responses most dont but some do.
Some get dozens and dozens of emails a day and have fulltime jobs and dont lend alot of time in there replies,but soem are outright cocky too!
Also think about there response did they seem more interested in your method of payment than than talking fish and your request or described personel skill level?

Ive not been burned by a guide yet but have only used two ever on water and a field.
Never tiped....never thoguht to as I pay the inclusive price asked, sorry I figgure thats payment enough. I work hard and the money isnt there to give it away to look good!
The fees are two and three times what I make a day, its really that simple for ME.

I know folks that have had bad times. I figgure they didnt do the homework.They cant gripe about not cathcing anything or being taken for a boat ride if they didnt do their homework.
If that make me an azz I dont care.

The first guide I ever used over 7 years ago remembers me to this day and I like that. We had assembeld a large group, 35 guys,it took 7 boats, there was his tip, and he made his money and everyone but a few whiners had a great time.

Re: Fishing Guide question? #534598 06/28/05 01:35 PM
J
Jack Spirko Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Well Rick,

Here is how I see it. When I take my family to say On The Border for dinner I know that with a margarita or three and three meals the tab will be about 50 bucks and I budget 5-10 bucks for tipping the waiter.

He does an adaquate job nothing special but OK - 5 bucks

He does a really good job - 8 bucks

He does an awesome job - 10 bucks

I just know that my 50 dollar bill with be something between 50-60 bucks.

So say I do a half day trip with a guide for 150-200 bucks well I just figure that is 175-240 for the total cost.

I figure it is customary to tip a hunting guide

It is customary to tip the guy that parks your car

It is customary to tip the ranch hand that skins your game on a guided or paid hunt

It is customary to tip the bar tender who TAKES THE CAP OFF A BEER for you.

So why not tip the fishing guide that gave you, your friends and or your family a memory that will live on for many years and worked his butt off for you.

I tip based on how hard the guide works for me and based on how good a day he helped make the day for me. I tip because I believe it is the right thing to do. I certainly do not tip to try to look good to anyone. I tip well because I am able to do so today and when I was sleeping on a floor packing boxes for 6 bucks an hour about 10 years ago I promised myself to be generous when I could. I kept that promise because I keep my promises even the ones I make in silence to myself. I know not everyone can afford to tip really well but you will spend 10-20 bucks this week on coffee, gum, beer, etc. So tossing a guide 10-15 extra bucks for cleaning your fish and being good company is not that big a streach for anyone who can afford the trip in the first place.

I am sure there are some crappy guides but I have to say I have yet to meet one. A lot of times it has a great deal to do with the clients attitude.

You seem like a great guy Rick perhaps that is part of why you have never had a bad guide either. Good people tend to attract other good people. In short with people it is not opposites that attract but in the words of Richard Bach "like attracts like".

Glad to have met you Rick, we do not have to agree on this it is just my opinion,

Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast
Re: Fishing Guide question? #534599 06/28/05 06:43 PM
R
Ranger Rick Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Jack I appreciate your views and read many I agree with.I find no offense in your statement. I apologize,I mean no offense to anyone either guides or not.
I dont want to hijack the guys thread anymore but hey,
Maybe we can meet on water some day and I can explain better.I gladly give money to my buddy with boat if he accepts it, sometimes he will and sometimes he wont.
Its not a tip, and he always hits fish, its simply paying my way as I can...makes the fish taste better.

Maybe when it comes to the issue of tiping guides itll be that im just a cheapskate. laugh
Or that it might be all I could do to swing some of these guys fees!
Get me on a trip and let me reel in a 60 lb blue and well see what I do! cool

edited cause I cant type or spell smile

Re: Fishing Guide question? #534600 06/28/05 09:39 PM
O
obiewan57 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Ranger, matters not to me whether you or anyone tips, I don't guide, but I, like Jack, do tip.

You are wrong about a fishing guide fee being three times what you make a day, cause you got to figure cost of a boat, rods, reels, bait, and gasoline getting there, then you got to divide what is left by the cold rainy days when no one fishes to get their average daily income. You see, if no one fishes the boat payment, equipment payment, etc still have to be made, so a fishing guide in my opinion does not make much if any more than your normal cafe waitress per hour. So, like a waitress, when my guides do me good, I tip.

I have a offshore trip in two weeks, already set aside the 1900 for the boat and 15% for tip if it is deserved. Just my .02, everyone has theirs.

Weldon Kirk
www.FISHTALES-GUIDESERVICE.COM LET'S GO FISHING
Davy Crockett said, Be sure you are right, then go ahead!

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide