Print Thread
Going to give it a try. #5323656 09/20/10 03:54 PM
W
Worm Drowner Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
I am going to give salt water flyfishing a try. I taught myself to flyfish a bit during my time in NE Ohio, fishing for steelheads. I used to fish bait off the Texas City dike and over at Rollover back in my younger days. Now that I am back home and trying a new method, I feel completely lost. I'm thinking bead-head woolly buggers, shrimp patterns, clousers, zonkers and maybe even a muddler might work. Let me know if I am way off base on this.

I'm not entirely certain of good spots to wade. As I said earlier, I used to fish the dike back in the day, but I'm not certain that that would be a good place for flies. I'm thinking of hitting the west end of Galveston, near San Luis this Saturday, but as I live in west Houston, would eventually like to find some place not quite so far. If anyone could suggest some general starting areas of the bay, I would be most grateful. i certainly would not want to know anyone's "honey hole", just a few general areas to explore on my own. I have an nasty arthritic hip, so I can only hike for a little bit.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer and wish me luck this Saturday. Tight lines!

Mike

Re: Going to give it a try. [Re: Worm Drowner] #5325282 09/20/10 10:17 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
The Texas City Dike just recently reopened after being down for hurricane repairs. I've heard that they have done a very good job adding amenities and cleaning the place up, but haven't been there myself since it reopened.

San Luis pass area is a great place to wade...but you need to be careful, as you are probably aware, and always wear a life vest there. When the surf turns green, as it often does in September, that can be a very good time to fly fish with normally lots of specs, lady fish, sometimes spanish macs, and enough jacks thrown in to keep you on your toes.

Good luck and tight lines.

p.s. If you can fish during the week when few people are out, the Freeport jetties can be a good place to fly fish this time of year. Easy to walk and plenty of room if the crowds are dwon which they usually are during the week and after Labor day.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide