Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488084 03/31/03 06:52 PM
O
o_line78 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Hey, I may feel like an idiot when you answer this, but what is a stump jumper?

Its not called Killing and Catching for a reason.
Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488085 03/31/03 07:12 PM
papa peck Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A STUMP JUMPER IS BASS PRO'S VERSION OF A ROAD RUNNER - JUST A BIT CHEAPER

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Proud Parent of 3 U. S. Army Soldiers and a U.S. Air Force Airman

PECKS PAINTLESS DENT REPAIR
Auto Hail Damage, Door Dings, Creases Etc.
Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488086 03/31/03 07:13 PM
A
aolaol Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
TEXASMAMA
<<
I'VE HAD THE MOST SUCCESS WITH WHITE ROAD RUNNERS OR STUMP JUMPERS - 1/8 OZ. WITH A WHIT GRUB TAIL - CAUGHT SOME ON OTHER COLORS BUT THE WHITE IS BEST FOR ME.
>>

Did you use a bobber? Was it very easy to snag? I heard the fish was deeper than 3 feet? Perhaps you tried 4-5 feet?

AolAOl

aolaol
Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488087 03/31/03 07:39 PM
papa peck Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I HAVEN'T TRIED A BOBBER - HAVEN'T SEEN ANY BODY ELSE TRY ONE EITHER. - I WAS DOWN AT CLORADO BEND A COUPLE WEEKS AGO AND THE BOBBER RIG WAS THE ONLY THING PEOPLE WERE USING - THAT WAS THE FIRST TIME I'D SEEN SUCH A THING.
I USE THE ROAD RUNNER AND REEL IN REAL SLOW
THERE IS PLENTY TO SNAG EM ON - LOST A LOT OF LURES AT FIRST BUT NOW I PRETTY MUCH KNOW WHERE THE BAD SNAGS ARE.
I'M NOT REALLY SURE HOW DEEP IT IS - I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT SOME OF THE HOLES IN THAT CREEK ARE 18 FEET DEEP WHEN THE WATER IS UP
I KNOW SOME OF THE PLACES I'VE FISHED ARE 10-12 FEET DEEP - MOST OF THE HITS COME A FEW FEET FROM SHORE.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488088 04/01/03 04:07 AM
papa peck Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
YOURNAMEHERE

I FOUND THAT ZANFEL FOR POISON IVEY - TRIED FIRST AT WALMART - THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT - THEN WENT TO ECKERDS - THEY HAD IT AND IT WAS AS YOU SAID , EXPENSIVE - $40 FOR A SMALL TUBE.
IF IT WORKS IT IS WORTH THE $40
SHOULD KNOW BY TOMORROW
THANKS FOR THE INFO !!!

ROBERT

Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488089 04/01/03 08:37 AM
J
jig_maker Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Papa funny you mention that you never seen anyone else use a bobber except for colorado State park. This is where I learned to fish for whites using a bobber.
This last saturday me and my nephew went out to hwy 78(wylie). We arrived around 9:30am cloudy and winds gusting up to 30miles. I say by 12noon we had already caught over 50. I say by the end of the day we total over 70 fish. Of course we did not keep more than 50, we started throwing smaller ones back. Sunday I went by my self and I threw back 20 and kept 22. I want to say that over 90% were caught with a bobber and the jig I use about 2ft away from bobber. To me this is the best way to catch any fish.
I use a very slow retrive with a bop of the rod every other retrive. When you get to see the hit it gives you such a different rush.
By the way I say I did not see anyone else the whole weekend have more than 10 fish at one time. Several people tried to do the same but if you don't have this jig I make, then you won't do as well either.
This year since late Feburary with this jig me and my nephew have caught over 400 white bass. I say half were caught using a bobber. There are days it does not work, but you will know early.

Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488090 04/01/03 12:23 PM
papa peck Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
JIG MAKER

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE BOBBER RIG.
I'M GOING TO TRY IT. DID YOU SAY YOU MAKE YOUR OWN JIGS??
I DON'T MAKE MY OWN BUT WILL TRY DIFFERENT TYPES. SURE WAS WORKING AT CLORADO BEND - OUGHT TO WORK HERE - IF I DON'T HAVE ANY LUCK WITH MY STORE BOUGHT I'LL HAVE TO RUN YOU DOWN AND GET SOME OF YOUR HOME MADE JIGS

HAD TO EDIT MY SORRY SPELLING.

[This message has been edited by papa peck (edited 04-01-2003).]

Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488091 04/03/03 03:22 PM
O
o_line78 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Man I had a terrible day yesterday. Only caught one fish down at the forks and had a terrible rest of the day. I had a gar on, thank God he got off. Then I broke a brand new pole trying to set the hook, broke my belly tackle box, and lost about 13 lures. It was terrible and to top it all off, my buddy dropped all the beverages into the water, and then about 35 min later nearly lost his cell phone to the water and 30 min after that fell half way into the water. I saw some other guys at the whole, but not sure if they were having any luck.

Later

Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488092 04/03/03 07:19 PM
papa peck Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
HEY O-LINE78

MAN YOU HAD A RUN OF BAD LUCK.
I FISHED THERE YESTERDAY AFTERNOON - NO LUCK AT ALL - SAW 4 OTHER PEOPLE - THEY HAD A FEW ON THEIR STRINGERS - FIRST TIME I'VE BEEN THERE AND BEEN SKUNKED - OH WELL - IT WILL GET BETTER.
YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL OF THE BANKS THERE - LAST SATURDAY I STEPPED ON WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A SOLID ROOT - IT BROKE IN TWO AND I CAME A HAIR OF HITTING THE WATER - THAT WAS A SIGHT SEEING AN OLD MAN HANGING ON TO A STUMP FOR DEAR LIFE -
MAKES FOR AN INTERESTING TRIP -
ALSO SAW A DEER THERE YESTERDAY UP BY THE POT HOLE.
WHAT DID YOU CATCH THAT GAR ON - I'VE BEEN TRYING TO CATCH THEM FOR FUN - THEY ARE NOT AT ALL INTERESTED !!! SOME OF THOSE THINGS ARE HUGE

BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME

Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488093 04/03/03 09:28 PM
papa peck Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
HOPE YOU ARE OUT THERE TODAY - JUST TALKED TO MY SON (I'M STILL AT WORK) - HE'S CAUGHT 15 IN 45 MINUTES - MAN THAT SHOULD BE ME -
WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE BEEN BITNG LIKE THAT YESTERDAY??

Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488094 04/04/03 04:21 AM
Y
yournamehere Offline
Angler
Angler
Y
I really got a chuckle out of o_line78's post - I had almost the exact same day on Wednesday, including going for an unexpected swim right after papa peck left! Watch those banks, they are slippery!

Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488095 04/07/03 12:23 PM
A
aolaol Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
<<THERE ARE NO SIGNS - THIS IS IN THE BOON DOCKS>>

<<boonies>>

I feel like I am an ideot, What are they? I have never heard the exprssions.

AolAol

aolaol
Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488096 04/07/03 01:00 PM
S
Sidelt67 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
You are driving down a road, and everything starts to get quiet. The air gets real crisp and there are no signs of civilization. You get out of your truck and hear the banjo from the movie Deliverance. You think you heard a pig, but maybe it was just the wind. Then and only then have you reached the boon docks.

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. Patton
Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488097 04/09/03 01:40 PM
O
o_line78 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Anyone been in a while?

Re: CLEAR CREEK IN DENTON #488098 04/09/03 02:22 PM
papa peck Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
sidelt67 you got the boon docks right - surprised there is anyone out there who has never heard it before - may be my age.

was out there sat and sun. - not much going on.
sunday we caught 2 sand bass between 5 of us - had all my boys with me.
we had fished for about and hour and a half and i was fixing to call it a day when i hooked something big - was using my samll crappie rod with a 1/8 oz. road runner - it took off and i couldn't turn it.
finally got it close to shore but it was so deep could not see it. i was hoping to at least get a look at it before it broke my line - figured it was going to either break my rod or my line. after about 5 runs i got him into shallow water and my oldest helped roll him upo on the bank. it was a gar - 4.5 feet long no telling how much he weighed - i'd guess at least 20 pounds. my son took out his sheath knife and stabbed him behind the head - bounced off like it was a piece of steel. he grabbed a metal rod that he found on the bank and smacked him in the head til he made a hole in his head and he started bleeding - thought we had him subdued - not sure what we were going to do with him. we were gathered around commenting on how huge and ugly that thing was when he started flopping around - tried to stop him but he got back in the water and off he went - cracked and bleeding and all.
not sure why god made those things - seem pretty worhtless to me - just eat the good fish - oh well - we sure had fun catching that thing.
have'nt been back since sun. - weather hasn't been too good.
good luck and watch out for those gars

papa peck - (now famous gar hunter)

[This message has been edited by papa peck (edited 04-09-2003).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide