Print Thread
Need advise with these Bass #4811495 05/03/10 05:29 PM
D
Danno71 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
So I have spent alot of my life fishing in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Going after the elusive muskie and waiting for the finiky Walley bite. The way I had heard it is these Texas Bass damn near jump into the boat. LOL....not true in my case anyway.

I am in the Fort Worth area and have tried Grapevine, Eagle Mountain and Lake Worth. Not a whole lot of luck. Any advice from all you Bass experts. I hate to say it but I need HELP!!

Dan

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Need advise with these Bass [Re: Danno71] #4811534 05/03/10 05:36 PM
B
Bassinamped Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
ya go east!!! those lakes around the fort worth area suck except for joe pool and lewiseville

Re: Need advise with these Bass [Re: Bassinamped] #4811556 05/03/10 05:40 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
like dallas lakes are any better?

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Need advise with these Bass [Re: Fish Killer] #4811715 05/03/10 06:24 PM
S
SnakeEyes Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
lol being from the midwest myself i understand your plight...

there is a couple of things you need to understand about bass down

they are finicky and love to aggrevate.

�Harassment of a law-abiding fisherman is a crime punishable by fine and/or imprisonment,� ~Boyd Kennedy TPWD legal counsel
Re: Need advise with these Bass [Re: SnakeEyes] #4812873 05/03/10 10:42 PM
D
Danno71 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
So any suggestions or tips ie Lakes, parts of the lakes, lures etc. I've thrown everything at them in these other 3 lakes. Maybe just the wrong day. I'm looking for any advise.

Re: Need advise with these Bass [Re: Danno71] #4812879 05/03/10 10:44 PM
D
Doug E. Fresh Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Quit before you get addicted, TX bass fishing is the greatest sickness ever!

Re: Need advise with these Bass [Re: Bassinamped] #4812882 05/03/10 10:44 PM
D
Doug E. Fresh Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Bassinamped
ya go east!!! those lakes around the fort worth area suck except for joe pool and lewiseville

Oh Wow , this should get some action popcorn2

Re: Need advise with these Bass [Re: Doug E. Fresh] #4812921 05/03/10 10:53 PM
T
TackleResource Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I would say get a guided trip and you will learn alot. Thats how I actually learned how to fish on a lake.

I grew up in Guthrie Texas on the Pitchfork Ranch and my dad taught me how to fish for Bass on the Witchita River. When I got into High School I wanted to fish at a lake so I started going out to Benjamin and fishing on a Private Lake that bordered the Ranch my Dad worked for. Got pretty good at catching Bass and Crappie out of there and loved it.

Even caught a 5 lber one day and really got hooked on fishing from a boat. Even though at that time it was a Jon Boat.

Decided I wanted to go fishing on a bigger Lake but didn't have a Bass Boat to fish from and at that time I was watching the BASS events on TV and thought someday I could be there, lol. I paid a guide at Lake Alan Henry in 2002 which was my Jr. Year in High School and started to learn the techniques and how to locate and target Bass.

Went back with the same Guide during the Spawn of that Summer and I was really hooked from there. Now I can actually get on a boat and go catch a few. 25 years old now and did have a boat that I used (which moved to Kansas with my sister and brother in law that we shared) and learned to read Topographical maps when I lived in Colorado from a Tournament Fisherman that frequented the Bass Pro Shops there in Denver.

In short a guided trip will teach you alot. There are alot up in that area that are great and I'm sure you could find one on the Forum here that would have an opened date coming up.

Hope that helps.

Re: Need advise with these Bass [Re: TackleResource] #4813389 05/04/10 12:35 AM
S
Slug-Go Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Are you fishing from a boat? If so follow these steps:

1 - Start following the ' Tournament Dates & Information " forum on TFF.

2 - Check for tournaments taking place near a lake you would prefer to catch bass on. Preferably recurring tournaments...

3 - Find a tournament you can attend (not participate). Note where the tournament starts from and the time.

4 - Arrive to the tournament in advance of the start time and launch your boat. If you are familiar with the lake and it's easier to launch from a different ramp than where the tournament starts even better. thumb Once launched move out towards the main lake body away from the tournament anglers. Make a note of the weather conditions, water temps, etc.

5 - When the tournament starts take mental note of where anglers are going, how many are heading towards a particular direction/area, etc. Time to head out...

6 - Follow the competing boat(s) around and make note of where they are fishing (lake points, shallows, etc). Get close and mark the locations (for reference later - plus tournament anglers love it).

7 - Since you're close you should be able to make note of the lures being presented. If you come across a grumpy angler who doesn't like you being that close to them (there are a couple) then back off a bit and get out the binoculars. Remain aware of other tournament anglers in the area, if you see them moving about make a mental note of their direction.

8 - Continue to follow your mark for about an hour, if they produce nothing it is time to move to an area where you noted other anglers went. If they do produce fish update your marked location and continue to follow (move on when they stop producing fish - don't forget to smile/wave if they yell at you or call you #1).

9 - Repeat steps 6-9 until the tournament ends, you are tired, you lost all of the anglers or you were assaulted by a tournament angler. Whichever comes first...

Once finished you should have locations that held some bass. You should have the weather conditions in which those bass were caught. You should have the presentation used to obtain said bass.

There you have it, 9 easy steps that will put you well on your way to catching bass, who knows, maybe you'll be the next angler everyone fears on the trails...

My opinion is worth what you paid for it...

The phenomenon formerly known as Weather shall now on be called Climate Change.
Re: Need advise with these Bass [Re: Slug-Go] #4813561 05/04/10 01:15 AM
its a fluke Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
if you can catch walleye, you'll figure out bass,.... you know how to find bait and deep structure on electronics. go to the lake and find deep spots on your graph that would hold walleye up north, and they will have bass down here. humps with stumps, rock piles, balls of bait fish etc.

Last edited by its a fluke; 05/04/10 01:16 AM.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Re: Need advise with these Bass [Re: Slug-Go] #4813599 05/04/10 01:22 AM
J
Jthoele Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Slug-Go
Are you fishing from a boat? If so follow these steps:

1 - Start following the ' Tournament Dates & Information " forum on TFF.

2 - Check for tournaments taking place near a lake you would prefer to catch bass on. Preferably recurring tournaments...

3 - Find a tournament you can attend (not participate). Note where the tournament starts from and the time.

4 - Arrive to the tournament in advance of the start time and launch your boat. If you are familiar with the lake and it's easier to launch from a different ramp than where the tournament starts even better. thumb Once launched move out towards the main lake body away from the tournament anglers. Make a note of the weather conditions, water temps, etc.

5 - When the tournament starts take mental note of where anglers are going, how many are heading towards a particular direction/area, etc. Time to head out...

6 - Follow the competing boat(s) around and make note of where they are fishing (lake points, shallows, etc). Get close and mark the locations (for reference later - plus tournament anglers love it).

7 - Since you're close you should be able to make note of the lures being presented. If you come across a grumpy angler who doesn't like you being that close to them (there are a couple) then back off a bit and get out the binoculars. Remain aware of other tournament anglers in the area, if you see them moving about make a mental note of their direction.

8 - Continue to follow your mark for about an hour, if they produce nothing it is time to move to an area where you noted other anglers went. If they do produce fish update your marked location and continue to follow (move on when they stop producing fish - don't forget to smile/wave if they yell at you or call you #1).

9 - Repeat steps 6-9 until the tournament ends, you are tired, you lost all of the anglers or you were assaulted by a tournament angler. Whichever comes first...

Once finished you should have locations that held some bass. You should have the weather conditions in which those bass were caught. You should have the presentation used to obtain said bass.

There you have it, 9 easy steps that will put you well on your way to catching bass, who knows, maybe you'll be the next angler everyone fears on the trails...

How long until he gets shot at with a flare gun or gets a 1oz Grass Master jig zipped at him like artillery? lol jk :P

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide