Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Devils River D I Y info needed [Re: 2FlyFish4] #4570590 03/06/10 04:51 AM
J
JakeFlycast Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I only had a 5 wt, the wind did blow pretty hard, but it worked.

Re: Devils River D I Y info needed [Re: JakeFlycast] #4571229 03/06/10 02:02 PM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
having spent time in combat a few different places around the globe, lived in st. louis and dfw for many years, living in el paso now for the past 18 months or so w/a good chunk of that wandering the deserts fishing and hunting, and having spent a LOT of time in the seedier parts of many of the world's biggest cities, i think i've got a pretty good grasp of the "threat level" concept. being married to a federal law enforcement officer and living in an apt complex 2 blocks from the southwest regional hq for fbi, dea, and atf (meaning a bunch of our neighbors work there); i have a bit better insight into the border war situation than what i get from the 6 o'clock news.

the big key, folks, is inside the city limits vs outside the city limits. in big towns like el paso, del rio, etc. it's safe. get out in the desert and you quickly become your own law enforcement, emt, and ambulance...if you plan on living through any sort of emergency, that is. anyone who ventures into the desert unarmed out here is a fool. i don't think i can say that any plainer. it's the wild west out here once you get off the pavement. that's the best way to think about it. are you gonna run into bad guys behind every bush? heck no. 99.9% of the time you're gonna have a great, relaxing time...if you prepared and play it smart. but if you camp out here within 15 miles or so of the border you are a target. coyotes (those who smuggle drugs and people for a living), plain old border-jumpers, mules, and such need secrecy, water, vehicles, fuel, and food. you can cost them secrecy on accident and that's a threat to them. most are unarmed, but some carry machineguns. you have food and water, and that's life or death out here! you usually have a vehicle, horse, etc. even sleeping bags and packs and such are luxury items that can really improve their situation. so you are an attractive target. if you're in a decent size group you'll have no problem unless you are completely unarmed. if you are 4 or less people, you better all be packing if any of these unsavory characters see you...day or night. during the day, they'll generally try to avoid you. but if they need something, they may track you to camp. at night, if they find your camp, they are likely to try and steal from you...or worse.

again, this is just "wild west" stuff. life on the frontier was like this. life in the third world is like this. you have to man up and fend for yourself. it's no big deal. just don't expect somebody else to protect or save your ***. predators prey upon the weak and vulnerable. so don't be that guy.

but to think that wandering around in the border deserts of the southwest these days is just like taking a stroll around white rock lake is a HUGE mistake of fact! someone fires a gun at wrl and there'll be multiple police cars there in under 5 minutes. someone fires 200 rounds from an assault rifle along devils river (for example) and nobody will ever come...ever. well, maybe a private landowner who just happened to be within earshot, and there aren't many of those.

and yes...ranchers down in these parts are pretty protective of their property nowadays. it's not they aren't the same hospitable texans they always were. but they keep a close eye, a hand on the stock, and are suspiciously guarded with strangers nowadays. they live here. follow their example.

Re: Devils River D I Y info needed [Re: kenmorrow] #4571313 03/06/10 02:41 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I think you nailed it Ken. Be prepared. I have found the "combat mindset" Cooper Color Code to be a practical policy. And still enjoy the trip.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Rational perception of risk needed [Re: kenmorrow] #4571350 03/06/10 03:02 PM
S
swellcat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Quote:
. . . a stroll around white rock lake . . .

Oh, if only rural Texas could become the clean, crime-free oasis of calm that is Dallas.

Re: Rational perception of risk needed [Re: swellcat] #4571423 03/06/10 03:34 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Bottom line is that one does need to practically assess the situation one is entering, be it wilds of West Texas or going to the grocery store.

Being paranoid is not useful but neither is glibly ignoring the current scene.

One needs to perceive and calculate and act accordingly.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Rational perception of risk needed [Re: rrhyne56] #4571841 03/06/10 06:47 PM
Bass Bug Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
and what ever you do if you see this guy, run like hell

'cause not even this guy can save yer a$$

Re: Rational perception of risk needed [Re: Bass Bug] #4571875 03/06/10 07:10 PM
M
Manchu Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
M
rolfmao

Re: Rational perception of risk needed [Re: Manchu] #4572171 03/06/10 10:02 PM
H
Horn_Identity Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
The Devils River is safe IMHO but all the talk about the danger surrounding it just add to the mystique and awesomeness of the place. It also keep the less intrepid off the river and thats good. You are isolated so prepare well for that and don't be stupid. I've talked to the folks that own land and property there and had no problem whatsoever. Respect the water, the land and the wildlife there and you'll be fine. Don't act like you're at Lake Powell spring break fling being loud, drunk and obnoxious and good karma will float with you. Be safe to those going.

Bring extra paddle, tape, hydrate yourself(hard to do sometimes with all the good water to cast), stow and secure your gear (bring an extra rod, breakage is not uncommon), listen to the raging water ahead and scout the run first and adjust to your skill level, always lean to the side of caution. A successful Devils runner is an uninjured runner. Nobody wants to nurse an injured floater, ruins the float for everyone.

Re: Rational perception of risk needed [Re: Horn_Identity] #4573813 03/07/10 01:04 PM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
that's actually a very good summary, horn...if someone has a fundamental understanding of how to prepare for a border area wilderness adventure.

we have frequent stories in the regional media here about folks who die in the desert during recreation activity just for lack of basic preparation. and that combined with the early comments about the border war between the cartels is what prompted me to post about the "downside." but my comments were meant to be general about the whole border region, not specific to devils river. some specific areas are far more dangerous than others. and those can change from week to week/month to month.

Re: Devils River D I Y info needed [Re: kenmorrow] #4586538 03/10/10 06:02 AM
J
jasonp Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: kenmorrow
and believe it or not, feds will not respond to emergency calls as 1st responders no matter how far the county sheriff's deputy is away. he has to show up 1st and then call them if they're needed.

Actually this is incorrect. I work for the aforementioned border agency in this area/sector and we respond all the time to these very types of situations. We respond anytime we are called weather it be from the person in distress, a local, county or state Agency. We work for the public, period and in these areas, we are usually the ones who get the call. We even have units specifically for this purpose called BORSTAR and even air support. My advice, have several numbers handy in case of emergency (BP Game Wardens, Sherriffs office, et al). Ive been on the Devils river trip three times and phone service is pretty much non-existent in most (99%) places. I have managed to get a faint signal standing on hilltops but its very rare. Make no mistake guys, the Devils river trip is not for the faint of heart. You are pretty much on your own once you leave Bakers Crossing so go prepared. Take lots of water (and some type of filter incase you lose your supply), a first aid kit and food for more than just the time you PLAN on being there. Its also best to go with a group of guys in case something does happen, youll have others to go for help. While the Devils River is not a commonly used route by the nefarious type, you never know. I wont give advice here but I personally packed an equalizer each time I went. I will say though that I never had any problems. I ran into ranch owners on two of the trips and had a very civil conversation with them but stay off their property. There are some loose screws out there. Lastly, this river, like everyone has said is pristine; the fishing is some of the best to be had in Texas so please leave it the way you found it.

Re: Devils River D I Y info needed [Re: jasonp] #4586610 03/10/10 07:19 AM
Bass Bug Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
hey jasonp, I know its a job & you get a check, etc...but thanks for doin it anyway, ya'll got it tough and do a good job against terrible odds. thumb

Re: Devils River D I Y info needed [Re: Bass Bug] #4586756 03/10/10 11:21 AM
J
jasonp Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: Bass Bug
hey jasonp, I know its a job & you get a check, etc...but thanks for doin it anyway, ya'll got it tough and do a good job against terrible odds. thumb

Thank you sir...While it can be a bit dangerous, it's actually a great job. I can't see doing anything else. As long as I can get off work everyonce in a while to go fishing, I'm happy smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide