Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Lake Fork/Monticello/Welsch Report #4463352 02/08/10 10:47 PM
Guide Richie White Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
This has been my toughest winter on Lake Fork since it went through the virus. The conditions are so good that it's hard to locate those hotspots that hold more than one fish. There's more grass and more water than I can ever recall in the winter, so it takes a lot more effort to cover an area than it would if the water was down. I haven't had a lot of trips this winter, but my best trip on Lake Fork this winter was less than average. So, I've been spending more time at the power plant lakes.
I do believe we can look forward to an awesome spawn. There is tons of good water and the lake is so full now I don't think it can possibly muddy up as bad as it did in previous years. It does look like we will have the floating grass to deal with, so the fish won't be able to spawn in many of the locations they normally would. But I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.
I've been fishing both Monticello and Welsh and have done well on both lakes. I had some good days fishing for spawning bass last month on Monticello. Recently, I had a couple of trips on Welsch and had some of the best topwater fishing I've had in years.
It's a toss up which lake to go to. Welsh is a better tournament lake because it has the 18" limit whereas Monticello has a slot. Both lakes are about the same size and only have one ramp. Monticello charges $2/person whereas Welsch doesn't. Welsh has more hydrilla, but Monticello has more lily pads and cattails. Monticello has a bridge that divides the lake, making it have a current, which Welsh doesn't have. The bridge also divides the water temp, so one side is 10 degrees warmer than the other. Welsh is typically a little warmer than Monticello. Both lakes have been around for a long time and produced huge bass a long time ago. I believe Monticello fish are heavier, but Welsch fish fight harder. Welsh is a bit farther from the Metroplex. Both lakes have great water temperatures and you can catch fish on just about any lure you want.
Your best shot for a giant will always be Fork, but this winter the power plant lakes have been much more productive for me. If you would like to book a trip with me on Lake Fork, Lake Welsh, or Lake Monticello, you can book online at www.fishingguidenow.com/bookonline.cfm?guideID=2

See our most recent pictures at http://www.bassfishing.org/pictures/recent.htm

If you would like to receive my fishing reports by email, go to www.bassfishing.org/dbaccess/fishingreportrequests.cfm
All you need is your name and email address. If you are receiving reports by email and wish to discontinue receiving them, simply go to www.bassfishing.org/reports/unsubscribe.cfm

Good fishing and good luck. You can't catch them if you don't go.

Re: Lake Fork/Monticello/Welsch Report [Re: Guide Richie White] #4466092 02/09/10 05:49 AM
Evan O'Brien Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
That topwater comment kind of got me excited hmmm

REALTOR. Residential/Lake/Farm&Ranch/Hunting Properties
Evan O'Brien - Regal Realtors - texaslakesandland@gmail.com (214)642-6921
Re: Lake Fork/Monticello/Welsch Report [Re: Guide Richie White] #4502258 02/17/10 05:11 AM
Mxbubs Offline
Angler
Angler
Ritchie,

I have fished the spawn on Fork religiously for the past 9 years. We always see you, but we have never stopped to speak, as we are both usually facing down at the water.

This year has me wondering. Typically, we come up for a week in March after the full moon, and hit Birch and do well. Then we come back in mid April after the April full moon and hammer the Mustangs and Wolf. This year, I believe the full moon is around March 29. Do you think that the water will be in the low fifties in the Mustangs the first week after the full moon in April, and the fish will not hold well? And do you think the water will be too cold after the late Feb. full moon to push fish up in early March, up on Birch?

I trying to figure out if we should focus on Birch or Mustangs?

Im only making one trip this year, March 28 thru April 3rd.

I think it will probably be in full swing around April 5 if we see water in the high fifties.

Lsst year, we saw a 6lber in Double Branch making a bed on Feb. 13...

Whats your take this year coming on the site fishing?

Thanks, Craig

Last edited by Mxbubs; 02/17/10 05:15 AM.

Features "Bullcrap Technology" as seen on TV!
Re: Lake Fork/Monticello/Welsch Report [Re: Mxbubs] #4502906 02/17/10 02:02 PM
B
Bassin1970 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Topwater on Welsh was quite good at when the club fished at the end of January. Had a blast and looking forward to hitting Monticello in a couple weeks!

Re: Lake Fork/Monticello/Welsch Report [Re: Bassin1970] #4512820 02/19/10 04:06 PM
O
OKIESEAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
We are going down to Fork here in a couple of weeks. We are thinking if the Fishing isnt good there, we will head over to Welsch or Monticello. We have never been to the power plant lakes and weren't even aware of them until I started reading these forums. Is the strategy to stay close to the power plants where the water is warm or do you back off a little bit?

www.nellyssurplus.com
The Webs Leading Authority in used Security, Surveillance, and Loss Prevention Products

15% off for all TFF board members, contact me @ customerservice@nellyssurplus.com for details.
Re: Lake Fork/Monticello/Welsch Report [Re: Bassin1970] #4513007 02/19/10 04:47 PM
O
OKIESEAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
We are going down to Fork here in a couple of weeks. We are thinking if the Fishing isnt good there, we will head over to Welsch or Monticello. We have never been to the power plant lakes and weren't even aware of them until I started reading these forums. Is the strategy to stay close to the power plants where the water is warm or do you back off a little bit?

www.nellyssurplus.com
The Webs Leading Authority in used Security, Surveillance, and Loss Prevention Products

15% off for all TFF board members, contact me @ customerservice@nellyssurplus.com for details.
Re: Lake Fork/Monticello/Welsch Report [Re: OKIESEAN] #4521821 02/22/10 05:43 PM
O
OKIESEAN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Did anyone fish these lakes over the weekend? Do any good?

www.nellyssurplus.com

Re: Lake Fork/Monticello/Welsch Report [Re: OKIESEAN] #4522980 02/22/10 09:32 PM
R
RiverBassin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Fished Fork Saturday and it was tough. North is muddy, south is stained, and I talked to 6 boats who all got skunked including myself. Snow tuesday urgh!

Re: Lake Fork/Monticello/Welsch Report [Re: RiverBassin] #4524488 02/23/10 03:35 AM
F
FireMedic060302 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Made it out to Monticello Sunday and didn't have much luck. The rain and winds got to going and we loaded up for lunch. Drove to Welsh and was greeted by some nice black lace hanging on the aqautic hitchhiker sign. First time on both lakes but we got on some fish @ Welsh. Pumkin W/ Chart Tail zoom ribbon tail worms on laydowns seemed to get you bit. I could not believe how hard those fish fought. It was amazing and a beautiful lake. We also found some fish chasing bait in the back of a small creek. First time on a powerplant lake needless to say I was pretty impressed.

Until our lines cross...catch one for me
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide