Forums59
Topics1,039,337
Posts13,963,081
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need Advice on first Tracker Boat [Re: Skipper Chuck] #4375211 01/17/10 11:00 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: BassFan
I am thinking very seriously about buying a Bass Tracker boat this month. I am caught between the less expensive pro16 with the standard 25 hp or the proteam 175 with a 50 hp. I would mostly just be fishing with my son on weekends nothing over the top, so is spending the extra 7k to get the PT175 worth it. I am worried about the stability of the 16'. Since this would be my first boat, I would like your thoughts or advice. Is the equipment on the "ready to fish boat" good enough for the weekend fisherman? What are the pros-cons 2 stroke vs. 4stroke? YOUR THOUGHTS......

Thanks

My advice is to buy a used glass boat.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: Need Advice on first Tracker Boat [Re: KingwoodCat] #4379909 01/19/10 01:35 AM
D
daddystog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
bassfan if this is Your first boat and your not a experenced operator Your going to bump into things, you bump something to hard in a alum. boat you knock the dents out and kept fishing, in a glass boat You wait a month for it to get out of the shop and fork out $$$$$$$$ to the fiberglass repair guy

Re: Need Advice on first Tracker Boat [Re: daddystog] #4385549 01/20/10 02:38 PM
N
NLester Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Just some thoughts from non-boat owner. I have two friends. One with a glass boat and one with an aluminum tracker. Both built back in the late 80's and aboth are 16 foot long. The glass boat is a little more stable and sleeker but I like the fact that the tracker seems to plane at a lower speed. The lower speed keeps us dryer traveling into the wind. Also the tracker has a few less bells and whistles but because of that it seems easier to maintain. Both friends have had good luck, since they were both used boats when they got them but the glass boat will need quite a bit of maintenance this winter that will require pulling the gas tank for access, where every thing is more accessable on the Tracker when maintenance is needed. The glass boat gets us there in a hurry.but we fill up the glass boat with gas every time we go out. We fish for about 3 days on a tank with the tracker. My friend with the Tracker would like to upgrade to the 175. I have a jon boat with a trolling motor for the days they don't want to go fishing.

Re: Need Advise on first Tracker Boat [Re: MV] #4385550 01/20/10 02:38 PM
B
Bleed Husker Red Offline
Angler
Angler
B
From my perspective, a lot depends on what type of water you are fishing, how often you plan to get out, what type of fish you are after, how long you plan to keep the boat, how mechanically inclined you are. If you are planning to go out on 20,000 acre lakes and chase bass, you need the bigger boat. But know you will get wet when the wind comes up, so buy a good rain suit (lol) as well. The bigger motor will also come in handy when it isn't so windy.

If all you are wanting to do is go out with your kid and jerk up some Crappie around bridges, then the 16' would probably do you fine. Or if you are not planning on getting out but once in a while, less than 10 times a year, then go with the 16' rig or buy used.

If you are bass fishing, upgrade the T-Motor to as big a model as you can get, you can never have enough T-Motor when bass fishing. Second, upgrade the electronics, color GPS, as much as you can afford. If you are crappie fishing, the electronics might be a nice upgrade, but not as important. You will also end up anchoring more, so the T-Motor isn't as necessary.

If you are mechanically inclined, then a used glass boat is a good option. But if you are planning to keep the boat a long time, then buying new would be the option I would choose. I think you get faster service from who you bought it from, if anything goes wrong (especially that first year), they cover it. You don't have to worry about a major issue. You know the service record on it (lower unit lube changes on time, that sort of thing).

I ran a Pro Team 18 with a 40 on it for 13 years up in Nebraska/Iowa and never had any issues with it. I purchased it new, top end speed was 20. My father-in-law purchased a used 17.5 with a 60 (top end speed 30/35) on it and has put some money into it. He doesn't use it very much though, which is probably the main issue with that boat. I have had the 17' model out on Ray Roberts in a pretty good wind. While we couldn't go very fast to get to the ramp, we were never in danger either. We did get pretty wet though (lol).

Last edited by Bleed Husker Red; 01/20/10 02:43 PM.
Re: Need Advise on first Tracker Boat [Re: MV] #4386087 01/20/10 04:34 PM
B
Basstardo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Bassfan I have a 2008 Alumacraft Pro 175 witha a 90 HP 4 Stroke Honda with 5 year warranty. Very low hrs, garage kept,lowrance gps, Garmin 300 up front, 55lb trolling motor, custom trailer [Vintage] with led lights. Would make you a great rig, i love it i just want to go bigger. Call me. 903-413-0133.

Re: Need Advise on first Tracker Boat [Re: Basstardo] #4386527 01/20/10 06:25 PM
J
JDB3 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Lots of great comments here,
I own two Trackers, one by inheritance and one i bought.

The first one is a Tournament V17 50-hp, this is a good boat for crappie fishing, smal lakes etc.. usually keep it at the lake house on Calendar Lake, it belonged to my father and its built like a Brick outhouse. Runs like one too...pushing a brick. But it serves its purpose for what we use it for, and thats really what your looking for something to suit your needs.

My other boat is a PT190 (19'8")it has the 90 hp optimax and i have loaded it with the goodies needed. It holds up well in rough water and i have yet to be disappointed from it- but understand when i bought it i had no intentions of Tournament fishing and thats slowly where i have been headed over the past two years. It does well for me, but i have full intentions of selling it in one more year and going after a glass boat.

Some things to take into consideration, if your looking for the boat to have a casual time on the lake i would search for a used boat. You can find a good boat that will allow you to have fun and safe outings with your son. The aluminum boat will be pushed around if your fishing in wind but you can also go places some glass boats wont dare to venture.
Hauling an aluminum boat is easier, but most glass boats have tandem trailers and its just as smooth. My boat is simple to put in and get out, I fish the TX3Bass on Grapevine many times during the year and alot of it i fish by myself. Can have it in the water in about 2 minutes and out in the same time.

fortunately i have not had this issue but i would do a search on tracker hulls and read the issues with the all welded hulls before buying a New Tracker. The welds break along the front bow where the keel guard runs down. the older trackers that are riveted dont seem to have this issue. I've been fortunate, but i watch for it after every outing in rough water.

Ive fished my 190 heavy over the last 2 years on many lakes throughout Texas, I'm very familiar with it and if i had it to do over again i would have bought an Express or a G3. Tracker has a easy price plan and finance group and i believe that is what made it easy for me to buy mine.

I will be going the Glass route with my next boat, and this is the majority of the aluminum boat owners opinions that i have seen over the years of seeing this type of topic come up.
As i said, i have yet to be disappointed from my aluminum boats, but my needs are changing and i will be going to a Glass boat in the future, But i can still fish just as well as the others on any lake, it may take me longer to get there, but i will get there.

Whatever you choose, take the time to get it on the water and see how it does and ask lots of questions. Good luck in your hunt! If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by JDB3; 01/20/10 06:26 PM.
Re: Need Advise on first Tracker Boat [Re: Basstardo] #4386542 01/20/10 06:27 PM
B
badgrandad Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Just to pile on!! Get used unless you are absolutely sure of the boat you want! 25 hp is ok if you are fishing a small lake/pond or don't plan on going far but if you are fishing different places you will get tired of the slow speed. I fish with a friend out of a 15" ranger in all kinds of weather and never felt we wouldn't make it, just gets wet sometimes.

Some things that really improve the experience ( especially if you will be guiding for your guests) is
1) front mounted depth finder
2) front mounted tilt/trim

other things that help in the "makes it more convenient" department is a breakaway/folding tongue on the trailer and an on-board charger.

Get the boat that just makes you want to get out and fish whenever you can, if it's too big or intimidating to use or it stresses you out to haul/load/use it then you won't enjoy it as much. Better to get one that is not as fancy/big/expensive/powerful as you might eventually end up with if it gets you out and experienced. I have owned and do own boats that I use because it is all I have but woud use a smaller easier to haul/handle boat twice as much.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
Re: Need Advice on first Tracker Boat [Re: Skipper Chuck] #4387678 01/20/10 11:25 PM
C
CWCW Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I was in your situation last spring. I ended up with the PT 170 with the 50hp two stroke. I absolutly love it! 16ft is plenty on the PT 170 but the Pro16 has a smaller beam and is more tipsy side to side. Plus, you cant beat the added storage on the Pt 170. I had the two stroke vs. four stroke delima but it really came down to $$$. The four stroke was going to run me $4K more in the 50hp size so i went with the two stroke. Dont let anyone tell you that the four stroke will be better because it gets better fuel economy! That 50 hp motor wont burn enough fuel or oil for you to worry about fuel cost. It is very difficult for me to run out of gas in mine.

And like said above, max out the hp and get the added sonar up front. I had to buy my own a year later because i saw how useful a fishfinder up front would be.

Last edited by CWCW; 01/20/10 11:27 PM.

2009 Tracker PT 170 TX
Mercury 50hp
Lowrance X125
Lowrance X50
Motorguide 46 TM
Re: Need Advise on first Tracker Boat [Re: BBrown] #4402607 01/25/10 01:26 PM
J
jonesskeeter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Lot of wood in that boat and problems too. Wouldn't buy a new 1. A lot for nice clean Bass boats out there 10 to 15 years old for 7k to 4k. Get the motor tested and lake test it your self to see if you like it. Good luck

Hunt/Bass Guide service Tx hunt fish.com

Re: Need Advise on first Tracker Boat [Re: MV] #4506575 02/18/10 03:51 AM
S
Skipper Chuck Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Thanks for everything guys! I ended up with a 2010 PT175 with the 50 two-stoke. I did get the Lowrance HDS-5 added and moved the stock finder to the front. After reading everyones posts, i felt like this was the boat for me. I appreciate all your input and time.
Thanks again!

P.S. - Do I need a degree to use this HDS-5. I have been out on the water twice with it and have no clue what i am looking at. HAHAHA! Guess I should read the book!

Re: Need Advise on first Tracker Boat [Re: Skipper Chuck] #4507591 02/18/10 02:27 PM
L
limit 5 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Go with the 4 strk engine,it will have 5 years of warranty,the 50 classic carbed will only have 1 year of warranty and will be discontinued this year,to get the 5 year warranty you will have to get a 25 hp and up 4 stroke engine or a 2 stroke Optimax engine.

Re: Need Advise on first Tracker Boat [Re: Skipper Chuck] #4508130 02/18/10 04:30 PM
texcajun Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

If you are willing to wait, finding a GOOD used boat is absolutely doable. I was in your position a little over a year ago and was all set to purchase a brand new boat to the tune of 16K. But all the while I was looking for a good used boat of the same model. Came across a used one that was more than I had hoped for, and the best part is it only cost 6K, (feels like I stole it!). Paid for for it in cash and it's all mine! Considering how much value they lose as soon as you sign the papers, used make a lot of sense.

Originally Posted By: BassFan
Thanks a bunch for your comments so far, they are helpful and appreciated. Do you ever find good deals on used boats in this class, maybe more bang for the buck? I have been lookin in the common spots (craigs list, forums, ebay, etc...) for a while and it seems like Trackers hold thier value pretty well. Since I am not 100% on boats should I just stick with NEW?

2002 Scandy White, 2002 Yamaha 90
Point me towards the water!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide