What do you think about this idea? #442036 06/09/05 02:01 AM
D
DAN-O Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Fellow TFF'ers,
I worked at a school the past two years that had many kids who lived at or were associated with Mission Arlington here in Arlington. I have personally worked with them in the classroom, and know of the circumstances with which they deal with on a daily basis. I have been having this feeling of, "Man I wish I could take them fishing sometime," for awhile now. I have come close to approaching officials associated with the kids here in Arlington who deal with kids who live in shelters about taking small groups out on an outing at the lake. If you are like me, fishing kept you out of alot of trouble growing up because it gave you something positive to do with your free time.

The kids I am talking about are good kids, they just don't have very many activites to fill their free time with. We all know that these types of situations are sad conditions under which to live. I would really like to take these kids out on a memorable fishing trip, maybe even with riding tubes around for awhile after taking them fishing. A fish fry for them after they go fishing would be cool too. We could either clean the ones they catch and cook them at Lake Arlington, or bring freezer fish we already have.

Those of you who have organized an event for kids, whether it be Boys/Girls Scouts, church events, or even little league teams know how hard it can be to do things by yourself.

Here is what I would like to do annually with this organization, and yes, the list is long.

1.) Get these kids hooked on fishing like we got hooked on fishing when we were kids. There is alot of other things they can get hooked on which could ruin their lives.

2.)Provide each participant with their very own rod and reel (new or used). These kids take great pride in possessions...for many that is all they have. Plus, it gives them their own rod and reel where maybe "The Mission", as the kids call it, can have the things they need to take the kids out fishing at the lake from the piers every so often.

3.) Provide tubing for the kids (Yes, I know...how can we take all these kids tubing? And gas is high...it will take alot of gas pulling around a bunch of kids for a little while).

4.) Have every kid catch as many fish as possible (this means perch and sandbass/hybrids more than likely). Do you remember the first fish you ever caught??? Many of these kids don't even know what fishing is about. But, if someone would show them what to do and help them catch a few...then they would have access to a lifelong activity that could help keep them off the streets.

5.) A fish fry would be great for the kids, or even a hot dog cookout, which would be cheaper and easier to do.

I am open to any suggestions and ideas. If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of in any way, then lets get the ball rolling here with some ideas and thoughts.

Like I said earlier, I know this will be a major undertaking, but I know it would be good for my own kids to be a part of an event like this, so they would appreciate what they do have, instead of complaining about what they don't have. Plus, it just makes you feel good to help people out sometimes. It's like when somebody is waving you down on the lake and they need help towing them in. Some of these kids are adrift an no guidance and very few people to care about them, much less take them fishing. They need someone to tow them in. This would be a strictly volunteer event, but I'm sure you have figured that out by now.

Is it feasible for this plan to become a reality? I would have to check with them about dates as far as when they could do it. It would be a great PR tool for the TFF, and you will never truly know the impact it could have on these kids lives.

Re: What do you think about this idea? #442037 06/09/05 02:22 AM
Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I am in for the fishing...but out for tubing. I just could not take that kind of risk pulling someone elses child on a tube. Plus my boat is not set up for tubing. Best times would be late spring and early fall, summer I think would be to hard, spring and fall kids could catch as many sandies as they wanted laugh laugh You could proberly get sponsors from ZEBCO for the rod and reels. Get with JP Greeson about using the TFF name, he has connections. Let me know what I can do to help. Not to be harsh but Also check to see who would be responsible for liability...lots of kids mean lots of hooks laugh It is a great idea DAN-O.

Re: What do you think about this idea? #442038 06/09/05 02:38 AM
P
plowboyturtle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
i think that is a great idea!!! i live in arlington as well and do some fishing at lake arlington. i do alot of fishing to stay out of trouble because it is very easy for a 20yr old to get in trouble. i would love to help when i can i live about 5 min. from the lake. shoot me an e-mail and lets see what we can do. my e-mail is plowboyturtle@yahoo.com

Re: What do you think about this idea? #442039 06/09/05 02:45 AM
D
DAN-O Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
John,
Thanks for the input. I agree about the tubing. It is a bad idea from a liability standpoint. If interest in the event continues to increase, then I'll call Mission of Arlington with a proposal and see if they can set up some type of waiver to release all participating volunteers from any liability. It is in the very early stages, and I appreciate all the ideas and thoughts on the event.

It's a shame we have to think about the liability part of it, but in today's sue happy society, it has to be considered. I'll try to call them tomorrow and see what their policy is for taking group outings and report what I find out and we'll go from there.

Re: What do you think about this idea? #442040 06/09/05 02:47 AM
D
DAN-O Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Ploybowturtle...I too live about 5 minutes from the lake. We'll have to go fishing sometime out there. Thanks for the interest an offer to help out.

Re: What do you think about this idea? #442041 06/09/05 02:52 AM
Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
DAN-O, I didnt want to ask...people sue cause they ate too many french fries from McDonalds who_knows

Re: What do you think about this idea? #442042 06/09/05 02:54 AM
D
DAN-O Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Ploybowturtle...I too live about 5 minutes from the lake. We'll have to go fishing sometime out there. Thanks for the interest and offer to help out. I'll post here on my findings when I contact hte Mission tomorrow.

I'll also ask them for more specifics, such as the total number of kids they would be bringing, and I'll ask them for any suggestions they might have to make the event go more smoothly.

My dad sponsors a kiddie tournament in Oklahoma on Fathers Day weekend, we'll be there next weekend, so I'll ask him for suggestions too. I know they don't have to use any liability insurance, but then again, the kids in this kiddie tournament are fishing from the bank with their parents right there. The kids we will be taking out won't have parents there, just whoever the Mission sends as workers.

The more I think about this happening, the more motivated I become to make it a reality for the kids.

Re: What do you think about this idea? #442043 06/09/05 03:15 AM
D
DAN-O Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
John...I'm glad you asked. It needed to be mentioned. Your ideas and information are always good stuff to read.

Re: What do you think about this idea? #442044 06/09/05 03:38 AM
P
plowboyturtle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
DAN-O give me a call sometime i usually get off work around 5 682-225-7286

Re: What do you think about this idea? #442045 06/09/05 12:27 PM
G
gregorkhan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Not everyone on this forum is a hick from the country. Perhaps we have a TFF member who is a lawyer who could donate her time to draft an indemnity arrangement for the kids' guardians and a safety standard for the boaters to follow.

G Hupf
McKinney, TX
Re: What do you think about this idea? #442046 06/09/05 10:17 PM
B
BOSTON BOB Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
If its volunteers you need, count me in as another boat. Always willing to help the children that are less fortunate than most. Usually it has nothing too do with them, they are just victims of circumstance!!!!!!

Bob

Bob
Sand Bassin' Guide Service
www.sandbassguide.com
www.flies-by-night.com
Re: What do you think about this idea? #442047 06/10/05 01:52 AM
D
DAN-O Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Thanks Bostob Bob...I've been playing phone tag with the lady in charge. The info. I have gotten so far is that the kids are not living with Mission Arlington. They are with the Life Crisis Center and the Women's Shelter. I guess Mission Arlington helps out by supplying a van for transportation.

The lady who left a return message seemed pretty excited about the idea. Still alot of details to work out. I will keep everyone posted about progress being made. Hopefully, I'll have more info. to post tomorrow.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide