Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
lake falcon spawn? #4207923 12/02/09 09:09 PM
gwl2 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I am sure this has been asked a thousand times already but I was wondering when the spawn starts up good at Falcon. Trying to plan a trip this next spring and am working on some dates. Thanks for any help.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: gwl2] #4207971 12/02/09 09:24 PM
B
bassin buddy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
FEBRUARY IS ONE OF THE BEST MONTHS ON THAT LAKE IT IS A BLAST

Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: bassin buddy] #4208283 12/02/09 10:31 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
The spawn fishing on Falcon is not like the spawn on other lakes. If you are looking for bed fishing it's not like that down there. They tend to spawn deeper and the shoreline structure is not as easily bed fished as other lakes. They can start as early as Dec. with the Full moon on the 31st. (Depending on the weather.) Probably Jan. Full moon would be a good bet. Then another wave in Feb. full moon.

Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: Bigron119] #4209179 12/03/09 02:22 AM
T
Todd Castledine Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
C'mon Bigron they spawn shallow real shallow, and on the bank.
They start in Dec you gotta just go and find them up north but its not easy you really have to know where your going up there.

I am totally against the full moon thing, its probablly the one thing I never look at. Here is why you know how hard it is to find perfect weather on a full moon. I care more about the warmth of the day and the wind, and water fluctuation. We have caught lot of big bags because the conditions get right. I don't care how full the moon is if it gets cold and water rises like crazy their gonna wait. When it settles down and its 6 days later they move like crazy because it gets right. If your gonna go pick the dates because pick because of warmth and in between cold fronts with no wind if you can.

Down there they spawn like crazy if you can find clear water.

Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: Todd Castledine] #4209712 12/03/09 04:41 AM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
That's a lot of "IF's". There are no absolutes. They will key with the full moon but if the weather is not right the fish will adjust. It's a guideline. Finding clear water on Falcon is not that hard BUT finding fishable shallow water in those trees and bushes is tough. Trying to sight bed fish on Falcon is not a waste of time but it is not optimizing the best fishing available. Trying to run the banks on Falcon is not the same thing as running the bank in Coleman or Five Fingers on Rayburn. My question to you now is "Will YOU be running the bank looking for bed fish during the Stren next month?"

Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: Bigron119] #4209964 12/03/09 10:13 AM
F
FlippinTX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Fish spawn for a long time down at Falcon. At first I didnt believe him, but the owner of Falcon Tackle told me they start as early as November. I didnt believe him untill I began seeing pre-spawners and bloody tails in that month for myself. Two weeks ago, we caught several large females with bloody tails, and there were lots of small buck bass crusising the shallows, though most of our females came out of a little deeper water!

On the other hand, last year I caught fish with eggs in them as late as April! One day last April I kept several small bass for a friend, I though where all males. But when I got home a couple had eggs in them! I was shocked and thought that lake was spawned out.

South TX winters are crazy and you can have the weather hit 40 and 80 degrees in the same day! Becuase of this type of weather you always have several different stages of spawning fish. My rule of thumb is that the big fish on Falcon start around December and it gets smaller the closer into spring that you get. Like mentioned above, use the moon to catch big groups of them.

As for fish on Falcon all spawning deep, it depends on the water levels alot too. Last year when the water was way up into all the brush and ranch land, you could bull your way through and find lots of shallow fish spawning way back there. Big fish will usually just spawn in the safest place, and if the shallows are garded by thick brush, then thats just as safe as deeper water! But yes, some fish do spawn deeper down here, by deep I mean 10-20 feet!

Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: FlippinTX] #4209969 12/03/09 10:16 AM
J
Jrich Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
i have never fished falcon but i plan to this spring. cant wait

Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: Jrich] #4210042 12/03/09 12:38 PM
F
FlippinTX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Falcon is better than any other lake out there, hands down! The amount of 8 lb and better fish on that lake is incredible. Tournys can be very tricky out there because you get caught up catching 5 and 6 lbers, thinking your doing good, and then you get to the weigh-ins and everybodies got an 8 lb avg! I fished a 3 fish club tourny one time and came in with 18 lbs and didnt even make the top 10!

There are a lot of good lakes in TX; Fork, Choke, Amistad, Conroe; but Falcon is in a class all by itself. Thats no disrespect to any other lake. Sure, Fork has all of the records, and probably always will! But, I wonder how many big fish have been caught at Falcon and never recorded. My guess is that it is staggering and I wouldnt be surprised if fish over 20 lbs have already been caught! Remember, the general bass world just discovered Falcon about 3 yrs ago!

I hope that the lake fills up a little again so that the water moves back into the ranches again. For some reason this cleaned the water up real clear last season making it easy to spot spawners!

Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: Jrich] #4210044 12/03/09 12:40 PM
B
bassman1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Jrich
i have never fished falcon but i plan to this spring. cant wait

If you hit it right you are in for the shock of your life.

Enjoy.

Roll Tide!
Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: bassman1] #4210236 12/03/09 02:24 PM
Clayton Frye Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I just got back from falcon. We caught bass from 1' to 50'. Looks like the bulk of the big fish are still out deep. Real Deep, like boat sitting in 70' throwing into 30-35' and Most of your bites coming from the 35-50' Range. Deep Rock seem to be Key...No Rock No Bite!

We had a friend that spent alott of time shallow that was with the group, He caught them good also, actually caught some fish that looked as if they were getting ready to spawn this was all mid lake and South. Lot of buck bass up shallow off of main lake pockets 2-6lbs. Looks like the 6-10lbs fish are still in 20+ foot of water with an occasional BIG fish up shallow!

Last edited by CFRYE; 12/03/09 02:51 PM.
Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: Clayton Frye] #4211261 12/03/09 07:09 PM
F
FlippinTX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: CFRYE
I just got back from falcon. We caught bass from 1' to 50'. Looks like the bulk of the big fish are still out deep. Real Deep, like boat sitting in 70' throwing into 30-35' and Most of your bites coming from the 35-50' Range. Deep Rock seem to be Key...No Rock No Bite!

We had a friend that spent alott of time shallow that was with the group, He caught them good also, actually caught some fish that looked as if they were getting ready to spawn this was all mid lake and South. Lot of buck bass up shallow off of main lake pockets 2-6lbs. Looks like the 6-10lbs fish are still in 20+ foot of water with an occasional BIG fish up shallow!

Thats not a bad report for the fishing right now! I was there three weeks ago and we were just starting to see the bucks roaming the shallows and we caught several large females that had beat up tails. But, like you said, most of our big fish were caught in or around 20 ft of water on offshore ledges.

Also, Rock is always the key on Falcon. If you not fishing some sort of Rock than you might as well not be fishing. A good way to tell is to look at the shoreline, if you see Rock than you can bet that it extends out under water, or the water will be a little better color around rock areas. If you see only caleche or dirt, than keep moving no matter how fishy the area looks!

Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: FlippinTX] #4211332 12/03/09 07:31 PM
Joefishin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: FlippinTX
Falcon is better than any other lake out there, hands down! The amount of 8 lb and better fish on that lake is incredible. Tournys can be very tricky out there because you get caught up catching 5 and 6 lbers, thinking your doing good, and then you get to the weigh-ins and everybodies got an 8 lb avg! I fished a 3 fish club tourny one time and came in with 18 lbs and didnt even make the top 10!

There are a lot of good lakes in TX; Fork, Choke, Amistad, Conroe; but Falcon is in a class all by itself. Thats no disrespect to any other lake. Sure, Fork has all of the records, and probably always will! But, I wonder how many big fish have been caught at Falcon and never recorded. My guess is that it is staggering and I wouldnt be surprised if fish over 20 lbs have already been caught! Remember, the general bass world just discovered Falcon about 3 yrs ago!

I hope that the lake fills up a little again so that the water moves back into the ranches again. For some reason this cleaned the water up real clear last season making it easy to spot spawners!

It's gonna be real interesting to see where Falcon is in the next couple years. It will be a true test of just how much publicity and pressure affect a lake. It's an incredible lake, but it hasn't received this type of pressure before. It's mentioned daily on this forum, 3 years ago, no one said anything about it. I know it's been putting out solid fish for a looooong time, but with very little pressure. cheers

I sure hope it remains at the top for a long time! Cause I don't know any other place in Texas, much less North America where you can put together such large consistent sacks deep into any tournament field.

Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: Joefishin] #4211472 12/03/09 08:25 PM
Evan O'Brien Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
i really need to get down there

REALTOR. Residential/Lake/Farm&Ranch/Hunting Properties
Evan O'Brien - Regal Realtors - texaslakesandland@gmail.com (214)642-6921
Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: Evan O'Brien] #4211840 12/03/09 10:06 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Evan O'Brien

If you do then you will be dancin' like your siggy! bannana2

Re: lake falcon spawn? [Re: Evan O'Brien] #4211958 12/03/09 10:36 PM
Joefishin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Evan O'Brien

You remember your big sack on Hubbard? Yeah, every day, bud, every day wink That ain't no joke, my second year there we had learned so much from the year before. We had a day where we lost more double digits than I've ever seen in my life. It's stupid to say this but we found this little sweet spot off the back of a flooded goat trail where it was 4,5, and 6lbr on every 4th or 5th spinnerbait cast, after several hours, I'm think we need to move because it's too easy, we gotta go figure em out somewhere else. How crazy is that, catching so many fish you aren't feeling challenged, so we moved to try to figure something else out.....and we did figure them out in other areas also. But.... the last day when we were supposed to get up and drive home, we went back out on the lake to that spot till about 4 p.m., and didn't get back home till around 1 a.m. had to work at 7 the next morning. I'd do it again though cheers

It takes work to get on em in the Spring at Falcon because of all the brush and trees, but when you find em, it's just insane. I'm about to pass out I'm so excited just thinking about it, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide