Print Thread
Buck Creek #404216 12/14/05 11:50 PM
D
dice123 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I will be getting home from college this weekend and I am looking forward to doing some fishing. I have never been creek fishing before, but I have looked at most of the old posts and I think I have a decent idea of what to do. However, I have a couple quick questions.

1. Looking at past posts, I have noticed that different people recommend different times of day for fishing creeks. Some people say early monring is good, while others say as the day heats up it gets better, and other people say dusk is good. So can I assume that any time of day will be fine? Also, does the depth of the fish vary with the time of day?

2. It looks like a cold front will be coming in around friday, does anyone have an idea how that will affect the fishing.

3. I will be fishing with a younger brother or two, so some of us will be using minnows, while others use jigs. If we are fishing with a jig, would it be a good idea to cast a minnow pole out and try to fish both, or is the current strong enough to where that would not work? If we are fishing with minnow poles, how many should we have out at a time. I ask because we have a small car, so I do not want to bring 8 poles when we would only use 3, or bring 3 poles, when we should have brought 8.

4. Finally, in the past I have had a tendancy to get poison ivy. I know absolutely nothing about plants, so I was wondering if poison ivy is in bloom, or whatever you call it, at this time of year.

Thanks for any help, and I will let yall know how we do.

Dice

Re: Buck Creek #404217 12/15/05 12:13 AM
J
Jon B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Dice,

In response to your questions.

1) Bring as much gear as possible. You do not want to bring just 8 poles when you could have brought onehundred and sixty three. If I know you as well as I think I do (which I am quite sure I do) I would bring ALL of your gear. Even the poles you got your mom for Christmas...

2) As far as the cold front...
I would try C-rigging Lucky Craft Rattle Traps with a 100 ft leader around the most dense cover you can find. Be sure to add extra sharp hooks (3 per bait) and fish REALLY close to the cover. This should provide you with ample opportunities to catch those monsters - Even if the weather doesn't cooperate

3) Finally, since you don't know what poison ivy looks like, wipe your face with every green plant you can find - being sure not to discriminate.

With a strategy like that you should catch some hawgs, with just the right equipment, and stay poison ivy/oak free.

Jon

P.S. Dice, I was just messing with ya! Can't wait till you get back from school and maybe we can catch up on some bass fishing when you get back.

Re: Buck Creek #404218 12/15/05 04:11 AM
F
foul hooked Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Posion ivy is dormant this time of year so it won't have leaves or be producing the sap/oil on the stem or branches like it would in the spring and summer - the bad news, I can't tell the posion ivy from the rest of the underbrush this time of year & if your sensitive - it could still be a problem.

I've been catching small ones in the shallow creeks. Reading the posts, looks like others are doing better than I am off deeper creek channels. I've been using the jig under a cork method. Good luck

Wally B
Re: Buck Creek #404219 12/15/05 04:49 AM
C
crappiewisdom Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
In response to dice123 and Jon Bradshaw,

1. one hundred and sixty three poles is clearly not enough, i would definately bring at least 350. Also bringing bright lights and putting them in water really helps

2. Jon gives good advice here, except he failed to mention this critical piece of information. Only light purple Lucky traps work with a 100 foot leader. Anything under 50 requires fluorescent periwinkle

3. I dont know anything about your family size, but be sure to re-mow your lawn before you leave

4. Finally real men play baseball with poison ivy

here all week
ya boy
tom pierce

Re: Buck Creek #404220 12/15/05 05:14 AM
D
dice123 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Thanks for the advice so far.

foul hooked: Since it is my first time, I wouldn't mind small crappie, it's nust nice to catch someting.

Tom and John,
Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure I have 163 poles and enough tackle anymore. My brothers love to cast into the trees, and let fish swim off with my poles, so I think I am running low on equipment. Maybe I can borrow some of yall's stuff.

Anyone out there think i could make it with less than 100 poles.

Re: Buck Creek #404221 12/18/05 01:27 PM
J
Jon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Poison Ivy aka the plant from hell. Yuck!! foul hooked is right, the leaves will be gone so it's not as easy to get it on you, but will also be very hard to identify. Since you're sensitive to it, the vines/stems/branches will still be a problem if you get it on you. Worse case I ever had was carrying a load of firewood in the dead of winter that had the vines growing on it. Got it all over the tender part of my wrists and had to wind up going to the doctor. Depending on weather, try and wear an outer layer including boots that can be peeled off and put in a trash bag when you get back to the car to be washed later. Of course cover as much skin as possible. Wash your hands good with soap and water when you get back to the car and take a good shower as soon as you get home. Without the leaves, that dam stuff can look like a hairy vine, a small bush, or single spindley little stems from 6" to 3 or 4' tall. Be especially careful of any vines growing on tree trunks. Just try and not wade through anything like that on the creek bank and keep your face and hands from hitting it. Be careful of handling gear that has dragged through such stuff. Gloves would help.
It is really not so bad in the winter - just pay attention and try to minimize contact with suspect vines and branches you'll probably be OK.
The vines with the thorns are OK so you don't have to worry about them. Hope you guys have a ball and catch a bunch of fish with your brothers. Remember to have patience with the younger ones. Some of my best memories are of fishing trips with my older brother. Glad to hear you're taking them with you.

Jon

Re: Buck Creek #404222 12/19/05 08:23 PM
D
dice123 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately our trip got postponed to friday cause one of my bros had work and I wasnt feeling to well. But I will make sure to let yall know how we do.

Re: Buck Creek #404223 12/20/05 12:39 AM
C
CHAVO909 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
poison ivy.if you use a boat,don't worry about the p.i..but't if you r walking around for crappie,wear thin layers of clothes,thin gloves,thin t-shirts,but how are you going to carry all tose poles.don't wipe your nose,or take a leak,or scratch you ***,then you will know for sure.yes put all dirty or exposed clothes in large plastic bags wash these separly from all other clothes,wash them first,and i understand bleach kills the p.i.so use a gallon per wash,let them soak,for real!

Re: Buck Creek #404224 12/24/05 01:12 AM
D
dice123 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Finally made it out to the creeks, and the fishing was ok. We managed about 30 crappie between me and my bro, which we were pretty happy with, given it was our first time. Unfortunately, all of the fish were on the small side. I think we might go out again on monday and try it again.

Re: Buck Creek #404225 12/26/05 03:50 AM
J
Jon B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Update us on the fishing trip you're taking tomorrow. I'm wondering how our buddy does crappie fishing, he'll probably do pretty well... we'll have to see. I hope ya'll catch a bunch. I wish I could join you. I REALLY wish I could join you, just kidding man. See ya when I get back. Back to the bass section for me....
Jon

Re: Buck Creek #404226 12/27/05 07:47 PM
R
robsco Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Walked from the bridge on Buck Creek Rd. almost to the main lake yesterday.
Tried different colors, depths and retrieves and caught 2 sandbass.
I guess the crappie are not there anymore.
Water was stained and looked great but ??? who_knows

Clean up...
Re: Buck Creek #404227 12/29/05 12:42 AM
D
dice123 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Yeah, we went back on monday and we didnt have as good of luck. We found one spot where the little ones were really thick, and you can catch one about every other cast. However, we got bored of catching 6 inch crapie so we walked back towards the lake and only managed a couple. Granted, this was only our second time fishing the banks, so I don't really know much, but I would agree that the fish don't seem too agressive. I talked to several people I ran into while wlaking the bank, and they all siad they had much better luck 2 weeks ago, before the water got real muddy. I think I am going to try again sometime next week when I can get a day off from work, like maybe next monday. Or maybe we will go try some creeks on Lewisville. I will let yall know how I do.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide