Print Thread
Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. #3709497 07/19/09 01:47 AM
M
My96z Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I will be coming home for leave here in a few days. My wife and I are planning to take a trip down to Port Aransas and spend a few days there on the beach and I would like to do a bit of fishing. Trying for the week of the 27th if the planes out of Iraq here are without delay.

I did a search and it seems Deep Sea Hq is the way to go. I have never saltwater fished in my life so its going to be pretty new to me. I have fished plenty of freshwater.

I was just wondering if you that have experience down there could point me in the right direction. I dont plan on eating the fish so catch and release is fine with me. I just want a good time on the water and catch some fish.

I dont know what type of fish to try to catch or if the charter does all that for you. What is a party boat? My wife doesnt want to fish so she plans on being a spectator.
What do you think is best for me? Any help, insight or tips would be great. Is it customary to tip? I have never been on a charter or saltwater fishing so its really new to me. Thinking of staying at the Hawthorn suites down there.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Last edited by My96z; 07/19/09 01:53 AM.

Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: My96z] #3709760 07/19/09 03:37 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Try to make some hotel/motel reservations as soon as possible because most of them fill up on the weekends.

A party boat is a large fishing boat that will take a large number of people fishing (usually offshore) for a fee. DSH is probably the best one operating right now.

Your wife can go as a spectator but she will have to pay a small fee as well.

I assume you don't know if you'll get sea sick or not and your wife probably doesn't either. For your first trip you might want to consider an 8 hour trip. If you're sea sick that's still a long time. But it's not as bad as the 12 hour trip.

With that said the 12 hour trip is probably the most productive.

If you don't want to risk the whole sea sickness thing then book a 1/2 day trip with one of the bay guides for trout and reds. It will probably cost you a little more but should be productive.

Also, the deck hands will rig you up and tell you what to do to catch the fish. You just show up and fish. Keep your catch and you can take it to some of the local eateries and they will prepare it for you.

Have a great time and thanks for your service.

Last edited by LandPirate; 07/19/09 03:41 AM.

Mike
Buda/Port Aransas, TX
Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: LandPirate] #3709931 07/19/09 05:29 AM
G
Gone Shank'n Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
G
I hope you make it out of Iraq without any problems!

I live here in Port Aransas and when we have friends come down to fish with us, they usually stay at the Captains Quarters on Cotter Street. They are nice and the rooms are good.

Once you decide on whether you would like to stay inshore or go offshore, we can narrow things down a little bit better.

If you plan on going offshore, i would go out of Deep Sea Headquarters. You can go out on the party boats. Ditto on what Mike said. But with S. TX, the winds can be unpredictable. It could be flat one day and 6-8ft the next. There are private charter boats out of Deep Sea that will catch some fish, but they cost a lot more. But i would go on either the Caliente with Capt John Brennan, or the Iced Down with Capt Nate. Both good guys that really can fish.

Inshore fishing has been good and my buddy Capt Kyle Burges has been hammering the reds and trout. I know there have been a couple fellow TFF'ers that have gone out with him and left very good feedback on him. If you do a search on Kyle Burges, it is posted by the name Fishing with Kids. I cannot get the link to work...
Capt Kyle Burges's website is www.kyleburges.com Check it out, some good pics anyways!

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

Thank you for all that you have done for us flehan and i hope that you get on one hell of a bite!!! flag

Cody C
Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: Gone Shank'n] #3710095 07/19/09 08:33 AM
M
My96z Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Excellent, thanks for the help!!

I plan on going off shore. I would like a hotel/motel near the beach, a block or two away is fine.

I think I can load up on the dramamine for the seasickness. I will look into the 8 hour trips that sounds pretty good.

Are the party boats really crowded or do you have enough space? Do they serve beer?

What do you all typically catch? How big are they? How early out do I have to book? Its kinda hard for me cause I cannot say for sure when I will be home as I am at the whim of the flights here.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: My96z] #3710734 07/19/09 04:52 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
On the 8 hour trips you'll probably catch Kingfish, snapper maybe a shark or two. On the 12 hour trips you're more likely to catch amberjack, big snapper, grouper, dorado and kings. The 12 hour goes out farther into deeper waters.

The party boats will be less crowded mid-week and full to the brim on weekends. Check the NOAA and National Data Buoy Center websites for wind and wave predictions as you get closer to your trip. Shoot for a day with seas under 3 feet and winds from the SE at or below 10 knots for the smoothest ride. 4-5 feet is doable on those big boats but if your prone to sea sickness then lighter seas are better.

Lay off the beer early in the trip and drink lots of water and gatorade prior to and on the ride out to avoid dehydration. Dehydration can lead to sea sickness as well. If you're gonna drink beer, save it for the ride home. They sell beer on the boats.

If you want to take your own ice chest then check on the Adventurer out of Crabman Marina between Aransas Pass and Port A, on the causeway.

Mike
Buda/Port Aransas, TX
Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: My96z] #3710743 07/19/09 04:59 PM
TOO Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
96, just a suggestion, as a lot of good advice has been given to you so far.
Call Greg at DSH on Monday or ASAP if you have decided to go with them, at 800 705-3474
Explain the situation to them about travel from Iraq. If you can't make the call, have the wife call or email us at too@outdoorstexas.com with the days you figure you'll be around and we'll try to set you up with DSH.
They'll try to do the best they can to get both of you on board. Usually DSH offers a half price ticket where you pay 1/2 the price for a second person to fish off of one persons bag limit of whatever is caught.
I'm confident if you are 100% going one day that week, they'll pencil you in over a few days as long as you call as soon as you know for sure which day it is, and cancel the other days. All you have to do is ask them, either you, your wife, or let us try. All they can do is say "yes" or "no".
As for DSH and emails, that has never been their best way of communicating, phone is the absolute best way to talk to them if not in Port Aransas. That's the way they operate, and it's understood once you get familiar with their operation. Hard if you're not able to call easily, but there are ways to get it done.
Open charters will be crowded, Tuesday-Thursday is best for space on open trips.
Wednesday overall the least crowded.
They'll sell beer and prepackaged sandwiches, and stuff.
8 hour trips will mostly catch kings, shark, and snapper, most snapper will be keeper(16") to 20" or so, most sharks will be Atlantic Sharpnose from 5-10 lb, and the Kings 8-15 lb. Just the averages, you might hook a smoker king, a 10-15+ lb snapper, or a big blacktip shark. Fairly good chance at Ling, maybe Dorado, and other fish as well.
You'll get your rod bent, just remember the snapper limit will be 2 if in federal waters, and one Atlantic Sharpnose shark. It won't take long if the fish are biting.
Had a buddy fish DSH on an 8 hour July 3rd, three drops, thee fish. 2 snapper, one shark. 30 lb's of fish before cleaning.
If you're open to it, I'd suggest a 12 hour if they offer it on an open boat. Chance to catch more fish, and maybe the tuna will be there.

Suggest you look at Bonine, instead of Dramamine. Most folks seem to handle Bonine better. I don't take anything, so this is from what I've heard.
You'll need a saltwater endorsement or SW license. Being military, your license is free with proof, but TPWD is not clear if military people who get the free licenses can upgrade free to fish SW or freshwater as needed. It should be free, IMO, but I don't set the regulations for licenses. Let us know if you have a license or not, and we'll try to find out what you'll need to do be in compliance.

Here is a link to lodging in Port Aransas, if you're staying during the week, lodging should be fairly easy to find, weekends better get it done ASAP.
http://www.portaransas.org/motel.html

Thank you for your service from us at T.O.O. as others have said, we hope both of you have a great time. You and your wife have earned it.
If you need any assistance, contact us at the above email, or call us at (210)215-3877, you or your wife.
Willie

Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: TOO] #3712319 07/20/09 05:06 AM
M
My96z Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
WOW tons of good info! Thanks.

My wife went and booked the Wedsday, 12 hour trip. Dont know what boat though. lol Either way I am sure I will have a good time.

I am going to the local Wal-mart and getting my license straightened out when I get back. I am pretty sure I already have everything on it but I want to be sure. She has probably booked the lodging since I have talked to her last.

Well it sounds like a great time. I look forward to it. Anyone else going to be out there?

Thanks a million guys!

Jeff

Last edited by My96z; 07/20/09 05:08 AM.

Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: My96z] #3712521 07/20/09 12:12 PM
S
salty jayhawk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Jeff I look forward to meeting you. A buddy and I will also be fishing on that trip. I believe the boat will be the Kingfisher.
Should be a great time.
Henry

I make it through the day by dreaming of my next trip to Port A.
Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: salty jayhawk] #3712726 07/20/09 01:53 PM
R
randolfscott Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I havnt decided on the 8 or 12 hr trip yet but me and my 8 yr old daughter are going on Wed. also, we might see you guys at the docks or on the boat. Good Luck

If it breaks it needed replacing anyway...
Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: randolfscott] #3714139 07/20/09 07:02 PM
M
My96z Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
When my wife called she said the only boat going out was the 12 hour trip.

I look forward to meeting you guys there. I should'nt be hard to spot, short hair, crossed saber tattoo on the rt. forearm, probably wearing some sort of Michigan sports team hat (most likley Red Wings) :-)

Be sure to show me the ropes, I am a newbie to this saltwater stuff! You guys normally wear shorts or pants? There any sort of dress code or anything I should know?

Thanks!
Jeff

Last edited by My96z; 07/20/09 07:04 PM.

Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: My96z] #3714197 07/20/09 07:15 PM
S
salty jayhawk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
My buddy's wife is going with us now also. We always wear shorts.
No dress code, but bring plenty of sunscreen and sunglasses. You also definitely want to bring a hat as a military cut can leave your scalp unprotected. I don't have an excuse other than my hair doesn't like me as much as it used to.
We will have some form of Jayhawk attire on I'm sure as we are all from SE Kansas.
At least the first 4-5 rounds are on us as a thank you for your service. After we are through fishing of course (or at least until the first one of us catches a fish!)

I make it through the day by dreaming of my next trip to Port A.
Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: salty jayhawk] #3745404 07/28/09 11:45 AM
M
My96z Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Well I am here, will see you on the boat tomorrow.

Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: My96z] #3745634 07/28/09 01:16 PM
D
Dorf Goes Fishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Sounds like it'll be a fun trip...wish I was able to join you.

Good luck to each of you and I hope the coolers are empty of beer and full of fish!

Thank you for your service My96z!

Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: Dorf Goes Fishin] #3745675 07/28/09 01:25 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
We're expecting a full report when y'all get back on terra firma.

Mike
Buda/Port Aransas, TX
Re: Help plan a charter trip out of Port Aransas. [Re: LandPirate] #3746398 07/28/09 04:13 PM
M
My96z Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Yep, expect a full report.

We will be on the New Pelican.

Last edited by My96z; 07/28/09 07:11 PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide