Forums59
Topics1,040,840
Posts13,988,452
Members144,244
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: Brandon82] #3639144 06/30/09 03:47 AM
U
UFgatorHarv Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
U
Originally Posted By: Brandon82
I check my lines every twelve hours, and they are alive and well.

+1

www.TheCatfishConsultants.com

Guided catfishing trips on Lake Conroe &
Gibbons Creek Reservoir
(979)219-1099
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: chuckwagon] #3639226 06/30/09 04:17 AM
B
Brandon82 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: chuckwagon
Originally Posted By: albertking
i think the title of this thread is a little misleading ... there is a way to use set lines in any kind of weather without losing fish as tiny pointed out ... the fish are surviving just fine somewhere ... it's all about hook placement

Good point albert!

But then there is another alternative. We could trade in all those nasty chum buckets, trot lines, jug lines, limb lines, throw lines, set hooks, punch bait, dip bait, range cubes, soured grain and especially that nasty Old Mil!! grin

And then.....and then....and then.....we could take up being a ....a.....a.....(I can't hardly say it..)

.....a.....a.....HRUUUmph! Hrruuumph! ...(throat clogging up, excuse me.).....a ......a.....

..........BASS FISHERMAN!

There! I said it!

grin breakdance
No thanks! I dont like penny loafers and khaki shorts. laugh

Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: Brandon82] #3639260 06/30/09 04:26 AM
R
ripp-n-lipps Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
whats the best stuff to put on a trot line?

tag'm-n-bag'm
Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: ripp-n-lipps] #3639538 06/30/09 06:53 AM
D
divingcat Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
If you jugline on Lake Conroe during the summer and only check your lines every twelve hours and have no dead fish, I take my hat off to you. I have jugline for years on Lake Conroe and even removing hooks below the thermocline, I have dead fish on oftentimes after one hour. The DOC ideally should be around 8.3 for catfish. When it drops to 7 or below, catfish will die. That is common knowledge. The trick, I suppose, is to make sure that where ever you have a hook place, the DOC is as close to 8.3 as possible. I am unable to do this all the time, so therefore I gave up juglining when the temperature rises and the DOC drops.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster." Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: Brandon82] #3639680 06/30/09 11:29 AM
C
chuckwagon Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
[/quote
No thanks! I dont like penny loafers and khaki shorts. laugh

But BRANDON....just THINK about it for a moment!

When there is a chill in the air you could "drape" a sweater across your shoulders, giving you that "spiffy" look!! grin breakdance

****Sun sinking low....lines baited.....gentle south breeze blowing...you realize.........I AM! .
Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: chuckwagon] #3639873 06/30/09 12:57 PM
O
opus Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
O
If what tiny says is right and I DO believe him seems like now would be the time to jug just not deeper than 5ft. A whole lot less water for them to hide in.

Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: chuckwagon] #3639932 06/30/09 01:15 PM
B
Brandon82 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: chuckwagon
No thanks! I dont like penny loafers and khaki shorts. laugh [/quote

But BRANDON....just THINK about it for a moment!

When there is a chill in the air you could "drape" a sweater across your shoulders, giving you that "spiffy" look!! grin breakdance

clap

Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: divingcat] #3640878 06/30/09 05:43 PM
N
nethingthatbites Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N
soap

MAGA
Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: nethingthatbites] #3642465 06/30/09 11:20 PM
C
City Slicker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
OK guys, I'm kinda new to catfishing... I moved to east texas
in Oct 2007 started catfishing the Trinity River below Lake
Livingston in April '08. Since the river is always flowing ,
does thermocline effect the river?

The Fish Czar
Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: City Slicker] #3644083 07/01/09 01:14 PM
D
divingcat Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
City, I would think no since the water in a moving river is constantly mixing and layering would not be possible.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster." Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Time to stop jug fishing and trotlining [Re: divingcat] #3644184 07/01/09 01:39 PM
D
divingcat Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
This is what I found on the internet;
Its Time to Think about the Thermocline
During summer the thermocline often becomes a factor that can influence bass habitat use and movements. A thermocline is a section of lake water where the water temperature drops drastically across a small change in water depth. This occurs because warm, surface layers of water are much less dense than the cooler, deeper waters. Warm and cool waters separate due to their difference in density, so that the warm layer (called the epilimnion) is essentially perched on top of the cool water layer (the hypolimnion), with little mixing between the two.
The thermocline is the relatively thin layer of water lying in between the warm epilimnion and cool hypolimnion, and in this region the water temperature drops rapidly with every foot of increasing depth. You may have actually seen the thermocline on your depthfinder, because the density change in the water here is strong enough to deflect sonar from todays sensitive electronics.
During a hot summer day you might expect that fish would prefer the cool hypolimnion, but dissolved oxygen levels become an important part of this discussion. Most dissolved oxygen enters water through production by phytoplankton (microscopic plants) or rooted aquatic plants. The warm epilimnion supports nearly all of a lakes phytoplankton and/or aquatic plants, meaning that it is in this zone where most of the oxygen is produced. Below the thermocline, light becomes limiting and aquatic plants cannot continue to grow, so oxygen is not produced. Because the cooler hypolimnion does not support plant growth and is isolated from the warm surface layers, it usually becomes devoid of oxygen by mid summer. The hypolimnion is therefore frequently not suitable habitat for fish.
The water depth where the thermocline occurs is important for fish movements during summer, and this depth can vary substantially among water bodies depending on lake productivity. In highly productive water bodies with high nutrient levels (nitrogen and phosphorus), phytoplankton becomes very abundant. Dense phytoplankton will shade light levels at relatively shallow depths, causing oxygen to decline. In extreme cases, Ive seen highly productive farm ponds with phytoplankton blooms that cause little light below depths of about 4-6 feet, meaning that below this depth in the summer there will be very little oxygen. Lakes where this occur would look very green, and you would probably be unable to see a white object at depths more than about a foot below the surface.
Alternately, in lakes with very low nutrient levels, the water is clearer and light can penetrate much deeper, causing adequate oxygen to occur at much deeper depths. Very clear lakes can contain well oxygenated water at depths of 40 feet or more during summer. Thus, the depth where the thermocline exists will differ widely among lakes depending on their productivity, even for lakes that are only a few miles apart but differ widely in nutrient content. It depends on the lake!
Not all lakes will stratify. In Florida, the shallow nature of many of the lakes means that wind energy effectively mixes the entire water column, and finding low dissolved oxygen
at deeper depths is rare during summer. In rivers or river-type impoundments, water flow through the system can mix the entire water column and prevent a thermocline from developing.
However, many large lakes or impoundments will stratify during summer. Most of the reservoirs Ive seen will tend to develop a thermocline at somewhere between about 15 and 30 feet deep in early summer. The thermocline will disband in the fall when surface waters cool, creating lake turnover where the warm and cool layers will mix.
Back to summer. Not all bass will be found around the thermocline, because bass will go where the habitat and food is adequate, and many lakes support quality habitat and abundant food in shallow water even during the heat of the summer. While sampling fish with electrofishing, we often find bass in very shallow water during summer in some lakes but not in others depending on the habitat characteristics of a particular water body.
However, many prey species and predators will aggregate around the thermocline particularly during the daytime. This zone represents the coolest water in the lake that contains adequate dissolved oxygen for use by fish. It also harbors more zooplankton (micro-crustaceans) during daylight hours and thus provides high food abundance for prey fish. Knowing where the thermocline occurs is a tool you should consider when learning the habits of bass. You can usually find the thermocline with your depthfinder, and identifying this zone can be important for understanding fish movements and habitat use this time of year.

Last edited by divingcat; 07/01/09 01:42 PM. Reason: bad link

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide