Print Thread
Hubbard Regulars #3631924 06/28/09 04:24 AM
R
Ringer1 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
R
I have '85 Skeeter FS-80, Baby Blue in color. If you ever see me doing something that is not proper fishing mannners, please let me know. Because if I do I truly didn't know it was wrong.

I do know some rules.

You drive up on a boat show...shut the motor down and use your trolling motor at least 300 yards away.

Don't potlick. (Thanks JV) Unless you know the person or you ask permission.

Don't troll within 100 yards of a group of boats catching fish. I don't troll but people havc done this to me.

I have several more but am too tired too add.

I have two trips tomorrow. One with my son in the morning and one with an employee of mine and his son who plays college baseball and is on his way to play in one of the collegiant leagues in California and won't be back till Thanksgiving.

Let me know your other rules.

Last edited by Ringer1; 06/28/09 04:41 AM.
Re: Hubbard Regulars [Re: Ringer1] #3631962 06/28/09 04:52 AM
E
eleanor Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I guess if you don't have a trolling motor, or it's out of order, you are not allowed to fish with other folks - right?

100 yards? That's 300 feet. Isn't that a bit excessive?

Don't troll through a school of surfacing fish. That can actually be more than 100 yards -- if you are in that situation, shut the motor, and start fishing.

Does anyone really think jet skis, pleasure boaters, skiers, will stay 100 yards away on a busy weekend? Usually, if the fish are hitting, the boat traffic won't stop the bite - unless they're on the surface.

Re: Hubbard Regulars [Re: eleanor] #3631993 06/28/09 05:07 AM
Fly Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Ringer1,
By expressing your concern on etiquette you have already shown more consideration than most "fishers." You'll do just fine and good luck to you.
There is no way we can control the actions of others on the water. Each of us has our own idea of fun and how to go about it. Enjoy trolling, enjoy slabbing, enjoy them on top enjoy them wherever we find them. The overriding rule seems to be have fun, but be considerate of others.
As far as pleasure boaters and jet fleas, well it ain't MY lake. Consider them a side show, don't take it personally and Hook'em -N-Cook'em! smile

He leadeth me beside still waters.

Re: Hubbard Regulars [Re: eleanor] #3632011 06/28/09 05:24 AM
D
Darren418 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: eleanor
I guess if you don't have a trolling motor, or it's out of order, you are not allowed to fish with other folks - right?

100 yards? That's 300 feet. Isn't that a bit excessive?

Don't troll through a school of surfacing fish. That can actually be more than 100 yards -- if you are in that situation, shut the motor, and start fishing.

Does anyone really think jet skis, pleasure boaters, skiers, will stay 100 yards away on a busy weekend? Usually, if the fish are hitting, the boat traffic won't stop the bite - unless they're on the surface.

If you don't have a trolling motor, one thing you can do is go upwind of the school (or boat show) and shut off your motor a good 200 yards away and slowly drift through the school. Generally try to drift by one side of the boat show rather than right through it if you can. The boat show can see you are drifting which shouldn't upset the fish or the fishermen. If you drift a little close to another boat just politely tell them you are without a trolling motor and will just drift by in a minute or two. Not ideal, but I've done it, and others have done it by me. If the water's not too deep and you have the line, you can anchor once you've drifted into a good position. The thing that is really rude is using the big motor right close in to the school, say under 100 yards. 100-200 yards is iffy, out past 200 you should be fine.

Re: Hubbard Regulars [Re: Darren418] #3632240 06/28/09 12:51 PM
T
T-MAC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Me to guys just let me know. I always try to maintain a respectful distint. Every one have fun fishing

[Linked Image]

Take A Kid Fishing !!!
Re: Hubbard Regulars [Re: Ringer1] #3632258 06/28/09 01:04 PM
"
"Da" NITRO Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
"
None of that stuff bothers me, because when it's summer time, the boat shows are immense, the pleasure boaters/wake boats/jet skiis are in full force and the knuckleheads are at full capacity. But, if you really want to know proper etiquette, just use your head. If you think you're getting too close, shut it down. If you think you are pot licking, move on. If fish are schooling, start fishing. If you are in the middle of a boat show and want to start the big motor, get away from the pack with your trolling motor. Once again, the distance is what you feel is a good distance. When the fish are schooling on the surface, it makes people do strange things, things they wouldn't normally do, unless they are surfacing. So, when they are on a school that goes down and then see another school pop up 500 yards away, they will crank the big motor, gun it and run up on the poor soul who happens to be where the sand bass came up. The reason why it doesn't bother me is because I have come to except and expect this during the summer months. It's like the heat of summer, whether you want it to happen or not, it's going to get hot during the summer months. But, never fear, fall will be here soon and all of the posts like this and those that are angry because of those who do some of things this post is trying to prevent, will be gone smile Think of it as a, sort of, summer vacation from fishing juggle

Last edited by +NITRO+; 06/28/09 01:08 PM.

Re: Hubbard Regulars [Re: "Da" NITRO] #3632512 06/28/09 03:23 PM
Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
It is summer guys and with the reports on the forum that is going to happen. I truly think that most of the problems on any lake are not with the ones that read this forum, so there is no reason to sweat the small stuff.

elenor a 100 yards is a little over board laugh I just approach with caution laugh I will ease up to fish... it is the people that when the school is moving that crank up and DRIVE HARD to the fish that push them down.

I am a guide, I post reports to help people and I get business from it... that is no secrete... I NEVER post exact locations usually because Ray Hubbard is very crowded anyways and that makes it worse. There are alot of boats on Hubbard right now that are not regulars, when another lake gets hot they will move grin I hate it when fish are schooling, it makes it very crowded... give me fish on structure anyday laugh

Just remember it is FISHING and FUN.... life is to short to sweat it ...

Re: Hubbard Regulars [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #3632622 06/28/09 04:09 PM
R
Ringer1 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
R
I guess the purpose this post was for people who are on Hubbard, and are on this forum, let me know if I am breaking some sort of fishermans etiquette when they see me out there. I always try to be very polite to other people on the lake since the the lake wasn't named after me. grin

But I found this forum three years ago and it has helped me tremendously. Not only how to catch more fish but manners on the lake as well.

Btw, went out this morning 6:30 to 10:15. Caught around 100. LOTS AND LOTS of boats out there this morning.

Re: Hubbard Regulars [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #3632653 06/28/09 04:26 PM
E
eleanor Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Look, I know fishing is fun. That's why I fish. Rarely do I keep more than two or three (maybe four) fish. I love fresh fish, hate frozen fish.

Being retired, I can go out whenever I want to. Lately I haven't gone out much at all -- too hot, combined with some health probs.

At 70 I'm not as nimble as I was even five years ago, and I tend to fish from behind the wheel - in the cockpit. When I come up to a "Boat show", it's usually at 3mph or less. I don't think that will have much effect on fish on the bottom, or suspended fish. Even a big trolling motor can affect a school on the surface.

In any case, since the fish are following schools of bait, they will move even if you do nothing.

there are times when I think some folks want to blame others for their inability to catch fish -- or their inability to catch "hundreds".

I went through that when I was younger, fishing in salt water in Long Island, N.Y. waters (both L.I. Sound and ocean). I hate to think of how many fish I wasted, how many frozen fish ended up as cat food when I couldn't consume them in a timely manner. Now, it's just enough for today, and maybe tomorrow.

the best day I've had recently was a quiet weekday where I was fishing about 100 yards away from the only other boat in the area. There was a big boat show in the distance which I wanted nothing to do with. Bait was balled and fish seemed to be spread out over a large area. Caught and released a bunch of fish, including several Hybrids. Kept four good sized Sand Bass, and left them biting.

I fish alone. If I didn't see it as fun, I wouldn't bother to go out.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide