Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: TxCatfishGuide] #3598595 06/19/09 04:01 AM
C
chrismoore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I have numerous pics of eater size fish. I want to see 31 over 30lbs. I have limited out in 1 hour this past january. Biggest went 12lbs. I have a hard time believing this story. NOt bashing you,just show some proof.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: chrismoore] #3599659 06/19/09 02:41 PM
S
spro Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
"I lost thousands of pictures and hundreds of videos."

That would make me sick! Man I hope you learned to back-up your files.

Ive caught 4 cats that weighted over 30 lbs. each about 6 years ago on a single trip but that was on a trot line in the bayous of Louisiana. Would love to do that on rod-n-real.

Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: TxCatfishGuide] #3601203 06/19/09 07:39 PM
B
Bigblue or Gaspergoo Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: TxCatfishGuide

Due to the methods we use and the gear, we generally don't land a lot of smaller fish. I would say low end would be 5-7 lbs, every once and a while a small one slips through though. We do get little fish bites but don't even touch the rods when they hit.

Like I said, I have no reason to tell fish tales or make things up. I have a good strong base of repeat clients that keep me busy and keep coming back year after year. It doesn't serve my interests to make things up. Don't think though that it cannot be done because as I said I have heard of better days. I have been catfishing for a LONG time and have learned a lot along the way. I don't claim to know it all but I know enough to be dangerous and pass what I know on to others.

There are several guides on this site that learned to catch catfish from North Texas Catfish Guide Service, and I myself have been fortunate to be able to learn over my lifetime from some of the best that are out there. I would never venture to say a day like that would come along again but if it does so be it.

There are a look of excellent anglers and guides on this forum that catch a heck of a lot of fish.

Here is another one of those banner days. Started fishing at 7:30, limited by like 9:00 or 9:30 and spent thirty or forty five minutes minutes throwing fish back before everyone gave up. Again, those days don't always come along but sometimes you just hit em and get in there and whack em and stack em.

I see bout 3 or 4 that might go thirty , but dont see the other 27 30lbers.. Im just saying... Noones saying you cant catch fish but I have been fishing for a long time as well, Not sure I am dangerous like you lol but I have never heard of that many trophy blues caught in a 5 hour span! If this is the case u need to fish the tourneys and clean up eh!

"The wife said shes gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time"! I'm sure gonna miss her...
Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: TxCatfishGuide] #3601905 06/19/09 10:59 PM
C
chrismoore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C

Due to the methods we use and the gear, we generally don't land a lot of smaller fish. I would say low end would be 5-7 lbs, every once and a while a small one slips through though. We do get little fish bites but don't even touch the rods when they hit.

Like I said, I have no reason to tell fish tales or make things up. I have a good strong base of repeat clients that keep me busy and keep coming back year after year. It doesn't serve my interests to make things up. Don't think though that it cannot be done because as I said I have heard of better days. I have been catfishing for a LONG time and have learned a lot along the way. I don't claim to know it all but I know enough to be dangerous and pass what I know on to others.

There are several guides on this site that learned to catch catfish from North Texas Catfish Guide Service, and I myself have been fortunate to be able to learn over my lifetime from some of the best that are out there. I would never venture to say a day like that would come along again but if it does so be it.

There are a look of excellent anglers and guides on this forum that catch a heck of a lot of fish.

Here is another one of those banner days. Started fishing at 7:30, limited by like 9:00 or 9:30 and spent thirty or forty five minutes minutes throwing fish back before everyone gave up. Again, those days don't always come along but sometimes you just hit em and get in there and whack em and stack em.

You should fish tournaments and quit guiding. With that luck,you will be rich.

Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: TxCatfishGuide] #3601911 06/19/09 11:00 PM
C
chrismoore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C

WHat are these "Methods and Gear" you use.

Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: Bigblue or Gaspergoo] #3603240 06/20/09 01:15 PM
M
Michial Thompson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I only see one in that photo that might go 30, but none of the others would top 20.

But with that said I would give the benefit of the doubt, especially with what I have been learning about most catfish guides this year.

With that said, what lake do you fish txcatfish, and how much are your charters. I might be interested in trying to top my personal best of 29# 14oz on rod and reel.... And would really love to top the 61 pounder that I have on jugline.

Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: Michial Thompson] #3603280 06/20/09 01:31 PM
J
James Tucker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I believe that it is possible to have days like that. I have never personally done it. I did have one day on Limestone where EVERY cast was an 8-12lb blue. We ended the day with 20 big blues in the cooler and a limit of whites (a school erupted right where we were fishing)
Only reason we stopped fishing was we ran out of bait and I caught my cast net on a stump and could not get most of it back.
I have had days like that on the Bosque river too. It always seems to be that the fish will be of simular size. I had one double on limestone that was a 50lb+ and a 30lb blue. Two rods got doubled on a drift and that is what we landed. I am sure that some of the NE Texas lakes have better populations of blues and when you get into that BIG school, you might be able to just wear them out.

Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: James Tucker] #3603322 06/20/09 01:45 PM
J
James Tucker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I would also like to add, I am a huge fan of the Catfish Safari Rods. They have treated me right so far. The Ugly Tiger rod is good too. The Tidewater/Stury Stick rods are good for the money. If I am using less than 2oz of lead the Tournament Choice rods mentioned above are AWSOME. They just do not like to toss a 4oz weight. I have prob 15 of the TC rods paired up with 6500's. They are easy to handle and have not had an issue with them (ten cats in the 20's and 2 in the 30lb range plus a TON of buffalo from 5lbs-35lbs)
I have not gotten to try the Team Catfish rods. They have come out in the time that I have been deployed. They are on my "wish list" of things to try once I get back in the states.

Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: James Tucker] #3603363 06/20/09 02:10 PM
T
Trebor Neil Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Dont know for sure, however, Chad dosent keep larger fish, he catches and releases, as do his clients, might just explain why you dont see the "Bigies" he speaks of.

After readibg the last few posts, explains to me why several of the good catfish guides never post here (Maybe not never, but seldom)

Oh well, life is just a matter of Choices, carry on smile

btw: will not continue this bashing.

You bettcha!
[Linked Image]
oofta!
Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: Trebor Neil] #3605810 06/21/09 06:18 AM
H
Hawkfish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Proangler rods and abu garcia 6000s. Proangler are excellent rods at a good price made by local cat guides. I don't work for or even personally know any of the guys on staff.

Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: Hawkfish] #3609045 06/22/09 03:18 PM
B
Brother Terry Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Chad has plenty of skins on the wall..
no need to lie....
he did say banner day....meaning home run .... where everything was right...the right school of big fish were hunger and he was in the right place at the right time....
with the right methods......
days we all dream about and once in a while get to have...

I use the same Rods Jered uses for big fish ......and for channels light action cheep poles that I bought at Cabelas. The whoopin sticks ...24.99 with a reel...dont have to worry about clients breaking them or throwing them over board...also works great for sandbass.

2010 C.T.C Classic Champion
Furture E.M. Blue Cat Record Holder

Creators Guide Service 940-577-1238
www.txcatfishguide.com
www.proanglertackle.com
Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: Brother Terry] #3610436 06/22/09 08:40 PM
B
Bigblue or Gaspergoo Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Brother Terry
Chad has plenty of skins on the wall..
no need to lie....
he did say banner day....meaning home run .... where everything was right...the right school of big fish were hunger and he was in the right place at the right time....
with the right methods......
days we all dream about and once in a while get to have...

I use the same Rods Jered uses for big fish ......and for channels light action cheep poles that I bought at Cabelas. The whoopin sticks ...24.99 with a reel...dont have to worry about clients breaking them or throwing them over board...also works great for sandbass.

Sorry Bro T. Im not buying it, skins or no skins! 31 fish over 30 in five hours! Gimmie visual proof of such a tale.. Seems to me if that happened and the stars were alligned and everything was perfect u would have taken tons of pics with several cameras.. Yeah I know his computer crashed and all, but thats to convenient! Ill eat crow if I have visual proof! If your gonna tell fish stories u better have proof is all Im saying...

"The wife said shes gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time"! I'm sure gonna miss her...
Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: Trebor Neil] #3610904 06/22/09 10:31 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Hooker
Dont know for sure, however, Chad dosent keep larger fish, he catches and releases, as do his clients, might just explain why you dont see the "Bigies" he speaks of.

After readibg the last few posts, explains to me why several of the good catfish guides never post here (Maybe not never, but seldom)

Oh well, life is just a matter of Choices, carry on smile

btw: will not continue this bashing.
Is it really bashing? IMO its not , just asking for proof. If you have no proof I can see why some one would cry bashing. If I had proof Id put it on the table just to shut everyone up,lol. Its very possible that its true , your on the lake everyday compared to the average joe maybe 3-4 times a month. You still have to have proof for some folks, you know the ones that dont follow along as sheep to well.

Last edited by Tin Head; 06/22/09 10:32 PM.

Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: Tin Head] #3611279 06/23/09 12:12 AM
S
Simpson Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
i believe it can be done. no reason why not. me and ed fished that twok tourney last year and we lost count of the big ones. it was an unusual day and we didn't catch a single fish under 25 pounds. every bite was a biggun. i really don't have an exact count, but I do know that we started the day with 5 fish that went an even 25 each. We actually moved because we knew we needed bigger fish to win (because of the previous years weights). We did cull every one of those fish and replace them. At one point, I threw back 2 fish over 30 and I couldn't believe that it was happening. By the end of the day, we were throwing back 32 pound fish. I would say that we caught 20 over 25 pounds with 14 of them going over 30. We went back to the weigh in and those were the only pics we got also. No real proof in pics other than the ones weighed, but we did have a few boats within sight that can backup some of it. I have had 2 days within that range and then some decent 5-6 big fish days, so those are rare, and I always measure everything against it. nothing ever adds up against that... that was a 6 or 7 hour tourney i think.

Re: where to get rods and reels [Re: Bigblue or Gaspergoo] #3611623 06/23/09 01:48 AM
C
chuckwagon Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted By: Bigblue or Gaspergoo
[
Sorry Bro T. Im not buying it, skins or no skins! 31 fish over 30 in five hours! Gimmie visual proof of such a tale.. Seems to me if that happened and the stars were alligned and everything was perfect u would have taken tons of pics with several cameras.. Yeah I know his computer crashed and all, but thats to convenient! Ill eat crow if I have visual proof! If your gonna tell fish stories u better have proof is all Im saying...

Well, one time my...uhhhhh, Uncle on my Daddy's side was welding a dam grate on one of those big uhhhhhhhhh, dams somewhere down in the southeastern part of the country.

Anyway, he seed a catfish as big as a Volkswagon Parking Lot! It ate up his welding rig and turned his hair SNOW WHITE! My uncle walked with a decided LIMP from that day forth.

Now as for Proof, well.....I still have a lock of Uncle Whitley's Snow White hair. My Aunt Inez gave it to me because she knowed how fond I was of my Uncle Whitley.

I just like to substan-chee-ate my fish stories, and I think that lock of Snow White hair should be sufficient!

grin breakdance grin

****Sun sinking low....lines baited.....gentle south breeze blowing...you realize.........I AM! .
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide