Forums59
Topics1,041,141
Posts13,994,423
Members144,250
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: shanedaviesguide.com] #3566496 06/11/09 02:28 AM
S
shanedaviesguide.com Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Here is the full report with pics.

Enjoy!

Greetings to everyone from the Middle/Upper Brazos River, Tx.

Brazos River kayak fishing has been nothing short of amazing the last few weeks. Don't get me wrong. We have had to work our tail off for every fish, but the results have been worth it. Especially in the Striper/Hybrid category.

However, last weeks trip with fellow TFF Members Todd (SeaPro-Todd) and Jordan (KeepReeling) is one outing that will not be soon forgotten. In fact, by the end of our day, it would be one for the Record Books.

Funny thing is, Todd and I had been trying to get a trip going for a month or two before finally settling on a date for a guide trip. I always enjoy spending a day on the Brazos with Members from the Forum, so I was more than pleased to hear that Jordan would be coming along, as well. PMs were exchanged in the days ahead of the trip. It was east to see we were all excited about our upcoming kayak fishing adventure.

Todd and Jordan are relatively new to the sport of Kayak Fishing in a river environment, but both were eager to learn while enjoying some mind bending scenery on one of North Texas most pristine Rivers. The emphasis on this trip would be CPRing Personal Best stripers for each of my clients. No small task, as both were accomplished Anglers with respectable catches and a commendable amount of time put in on several North Texas lakes and Gulf Coast fisheries.

The day of our trip arrives and finds the three of us meeting up at a remote riverside launch where we get to shake each others hand for the first time.

We begin transferring our gear from the trucks and into the kayaks before I take a moment to share some kayak rigging techniques with my clients. I also went over basic kayak paddling, safety techniques, first aid kit location, etc.. These two were quick learners and before you know it, both were circling the launch in their kayaks, ready to take on whatever challenges the Brazos might bring their way.

As we make our way into the first run, I instruct my clients what to look for and proper lure presentation. Jordan gets a hookup on the first cast. However, it would be short lived, as the fish spat the fakeage on the first headshake. Stuff like that happens. It was encouraging, none the less.

However, with no further development in the present bite on this locale of the river, I suggest we change tactics and relocate to a different run. Along the way, I stop to gather several dozen freshly netted baits to help pack some "punch" into our river striper assault.

As we cautiously approach the next run, I instruct my clients on our angle of approach. Once settled in, I get a fresh spread set out as we begin to implement my big fish strategy, that has paid off big as of late.

Finally, one of our big liveys gets hammered solidly as a decents size striper then makes off with it, leaving Jordan scrambling to the rod and a chance to trade blows with our first fish of the day. Jordan does a fine job of coming tight to his fish and now has the satisfaction of feeling a hard charging Brazos striped bass on the other end.

Here is Jordan with a fine CPR'd striper.

We continue to get a few more runs, bumps and swipes but with no hookups. This is followed by a lull in action of any kind. However, we are a determined group and I am very committed to my gameplan for a big fish. Suddenly, we can detect nervous tention from one of the big baits as the rods tip section begins to bend and quiver. I now notice the rod take a big dip followed by about 5 feet of slack that has indicated a likely hit. My hunch is confirmed by a steady, fast paced run under light tention from the modified bait clicker on my Abu 6500. My striper reels are heavily modified by me to my specifications. Todd was about to witness first hand why I do such modifications
when chasing down big Brazos Linesiders as he grabs the rod and winds down tight to a super solid fish that goes on a non stop, powerful, drag searing run across and down the river from us before surfacing near a submerged rockpile some 60 yards away as it violently shook it's head on the surface of the water in one of several futile attempts to spit the bait. At this point there is absolutely no doubt we have a really big fish, as I continue to give Todd specific instruction on how and when to apply adequate pressure without causing the fish to panic and head for submerged rocks or other river obstruction. Todd does a fantastic job and finally gets an opportunity to gain a considerable amount of line only to have it immediately ripped back off again by the unseen river leviathan on the other end.

At this point, I feel we may have survived the best this fish has to offer as we shift into a conservative fighting style designed to let the fish take the fight out of itself. Todd hits the fish with steady rod pressure and less drag in a effort to help preserve the current unknown condition of the leaderless terminal rig for the duration of our slugfest.

Finally, the fish makes a pass close enough so we can get a quick look at her. I see certain color and convey the positive ID to my clients for certain as a giant striper. Todd now begins to play out the final moments of this classic give and take battle as I prepare for the fish to make a final pass. I soon have Todd's prize in hand as we begin to celebrate a truly momentous catch by passing out high fives all around as I now hand the fish over to Todd for the CPR session. I have a feeling we may have exceeded the current Texas Catch & Release State Record for striped bass as we begin to properly document the catch for certification with the State.

Congratulations on a truly amazing striper, Todd!

Once certified, this fish will replace the Texas Catch & Release State Record Striped Bass of 40.5" caught from the Brazos in 2007.

I really appreciate Todd's unwavering commitment to the CPR process. Futhermore, kudos are in order for the State of Texas for implementing the C&R Records program in 2006 that allows the Angler a State Record for a live release fish. Bravo!!!

Now, Todd takes a moment to work with his fish in the shallows as we take the next steps to prepare the fish for a healthy release. We proceed by gently working her back and forth in the water and making certain the big girl can upright herself to swim off.

As we watch Todd's trophy swim away, I can't help but wonder about the deep feeling of satisfaction that he must be feeling. The countless hours spent on numerous waters in search of a bonified Trophy Striper had finally paid off. I was feeling pretty good myself, having just guided my client to a potential State Record and Personal Best striped bass.

However, it was early on in our trip and we still needed to get Jordan on a big fish. At this point, I recommend that a relocation is in order as we begin our paddle to the next run.

(Continued)

River Run Guide Service 214/418-9786
Visit River Run Guide Service on the web @ www.shanedaviesguide.com
Follow us on Facebook @
http://www.facebook.com/shanedaviesguide

Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: shanedaviesguide.com] #3566543 06/11/09 02:36 AM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
(Continued)

We spend quite a bit of time attempting to drift up a few quality fish. With not much to show for our efforts.

Jordan finally manages to grind out a nice striper during a drift from the kayak.

Nice fish, Jordan!

Once again, I suggest we make a repeat appearance at the spot where Todd CPr'd his trophy earlier in the trip. I'm not hearing any complaints as we begin to head back to the previous run.

My approach to the run would be much different than earlier. We would change our angle of attack and I would also mix up our presentation a little bit to see if we could "light up" some of the more lethargic fish in the run. It takes awhile, but our persistence soon pays off as one of our rods comes to life under the pressure of a steady run as a striper picks up one of our baits and heads for the Gulf. It's Todd's turn again as he jumps into action on a fish that immediately goes on a rampage as soon as it feels the sting of the hook. I can hardly believe our luck as Todd begins to settle in for a prolonged battle with what appears to be another big fish that proceeds to dump line from the reel, seemingly at will.

Following another classic give and take battle, we now have another big Linesider subdued and coming in for a landing. I can hardly believe our good fortune as we prepare our latest guest for a CPR session. Not quite as big as Todd's last fish, but every bit as angry, this striper winds up taping out at a solid 36".

Well done, Todd!

Now, for the healthy release.

Later in the trip, Jordan would momentarily do battle with a big striper that promplty began to bulldog him around the run before pulling the hook. Here is a shot of the hookup, right before it came unbuttoned.

As our trip draws to a close, we begin our paddle back to the takeout, minds reeling as we silently recount the accomplishments of the day.

Special thanks and gratitude to SeaPro-Todd and KeepReeling for booking a trip with River Run Guide Service. I really enjoyed being a part of your kayak fishing adventure and having a role in the epic catches.

You guys rock!!!

Follow us on Facebook @

Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: shanedaviesguide.com] #3567186 06/11/09 05:49 AM
C
Catfish Billy D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Awesome fish guys.That fish would weigh close to if not over 40lb next spring!Unless bait down river in those holes becomes too scarce.But then at least they will be hungry.Sweet job on release fellers.

Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: shanedaviesguide.com] #3567396 06/11/09 11:29 AM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Wow Shane, the pics turned out stunning and the story is extremely entertaining, especially with Jordan and I as lead characters. Your writing brings me straight back to the Brazos as though Jordan and I are still hunting and fighting those epic fish!! Good stuff, great times, unforgettable trip!!! I enjoyed every bit of it. Glad to have met the great Shane Davies of the Brazos!! Thank you brother flehan!!! Thanks for joining me Jordan!

Oh, I wanna say Shane is a notch better than Indy, McG and Davy cuz those guys dont even serve icy-cold miller lite to their sidekicks at the end of an epic adventure!! cheers

Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: SeaPro-Todd] #3568064 06/11/09 03:14 PM
B
BOSTON BOB Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Todd,

giant fish!!! Nice job. Are you going to get a fiberglass repro done???? I would have that hanging on my wall.

Bob
Sand Bassin' Guide Service
www.sandbassguide.com
www.flies-by-night.com
Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: BOSTON BOB] #3570225 06/11/09 10:48 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Howdy BostonBob! Nice finally meeting ya at JV's tourney! Didnt know who you were until at the end when you were talking to Lakeguide grin Shane did asked if I want a replica so he can snap more pics and take more measurements of her. But I was truly satisfied from the long, great fight and just wanted a quick thank you and release her asap. It was a beautiful fish up close with some deep-sea blue color along the stripes that you cant see on the pics! Its kinda ironic that I get humbled on skunked days...and then after fighting this monster fish, I've gained a new level of respect she humbled me even more. Weird.... hmmm

...Or maybe that fact that my wife does all the interior decor and anything I hang on the wall eventually will end up in the garage in a matter of days. bang

Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: SeaPro-Todd] #3573187 06/12/09 05:57 PM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Todd, Brother, you are too kind.

It's hard to do a story on catches like that. So many things come to mind when I think about that day and moment. All of us were focused, emotions were running high, adrenaline pumping. Now, all I have to do is put it all into words! lol

My quaint little recount given here doesn't completely convey everything. It can't. You just had to be there.

Like you said, it's the myriad of color that you see when the sunlight hits your fish just right as you hold it. Or how about the moment when you first held your fish after that epic piscatoral tussle? Pretty sweet, eh?.

Your welcome for the cold one. It was a special occaision and after all, a toast was in order.

Thanks for the opportunity to help make it happen.

Follow us on Facebook @

Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: Stumpjumper14] #3575155 06/13/09 02:37 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Man congrats!

I am beginning to think I don't pay enough attention to striper fishing. It has always intrested me, but man that is one nice size fish.

[Linked Image]
Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: Hopedale] #3579977 06/15/09 12:19 AM
R
repofish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Congrats Todd on the record and catch. Shane-way to put one of your clients on such a quality fish. Good luck with the continuation of your guide service and thanks for sharing your reports with us. I can truly appreciate your enthusiasm when you are onto the fish.

Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: repofish] #3586133 06/16/09 02:21 PM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
The one, the only... REPOFISH!!!

Thanks, Bro.

Great to hear from you.

Follow us on Facebook @

Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: shanedaviesguide.com] #3586241 06/16/09 02:49 PM
C
craigo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
shane, would be interested to know what your PB striper is?

I don't live for the thump, but I sure do like it.
Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: repofish] #3587077 06/16/09 06:52 PM
R
RMS007 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
great catch & great story, thanks for sharing

Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: Stumpjumper14] #3587500 06/16/09 08:34 PM
L
Lga043 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
I want one!!! Congradulations on a huge fish!!!

2011 NTTC Rookies of The Year
2013 NTTC Anglers of The Year
Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper (UPDATED) [Re: shanedaviesguide.com] #3590283 06/17/09 02:15 PM
S
striper pro 21 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Nice Fish...

Re: Upper/Middle Brazos River Guide Report - Pending Texas C&R State Record Striper [Re: craigo] #3591104 06/17/09 05:45 PM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Hi, craigo.

My Personal Best striped bass from Texas waters is 41.8 pounds. It was caught from the Brazos River on Valentines Day back in 1995.

In 1994 I certified a 40.4 pound fish from the Brazos. At the time, it was the Brazos River Water Body Record and the first 40 pound striper ever documented from the Brazos Basin. It
still ranks number 13 in the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. Top 50 Striped Bass of all time.

However, historically speaking, my clients catch larger fish than I do.

For instance, Skeet Hooks 42.66 pound striper ranks as number 11 on the list.

Here is a link to the TP&W Dept. Top 50 list...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/programs/fishrecords/freshwater/top50_striped.phtml

As a guide, my focus is not so much about about my accomplishments. It's all about what I can help the customer accomplish.

Follow us on Facebook @

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide