Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Trolling [Re: Uncle Zeek] #3574568 06/12/09 11:15 PM
B
BrianTx01 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
If your fishing Grapevine or Lewisville this time of year the whole trolling debate is kind of pointless. A fisherman trolling nearby doesn't make one tenth the noise or the wake as the constant barrage of wake board boats. The only time I have ever got upset about someone getting to close is when they hooked my gas line with a big spoon and the proceeded to try and yank it free.

My best trolling baits are a 5/8 ounce yellow and white humdinger or a chome rattle trap.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2001
Proud UNT Alumni
Re: Trolling [Re: Patti] #3574888 06/13/09 01:25 AM
H
Hydra Sport Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
patti,

i troll a lot. i have electric down-riggers. like the hyper-striper jigs in the chartruse color. also use crankbaits Bomber 6-A size to DD-22's. the hell-pelt described from john varner will produce a ton of sandies. good luck. if you see the hydra-sport on the lake stop and say hello goodluck. clete

Re: Trolling [Re: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker] #3574921 06/13/09 01:33 AM
AllenM Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Mark, I had real high thoughts on you untill this, as a pro we are ambassadors of our sports, that said If it is a LEGAL method of take why bash someone? I have started out in many areas of my life on the frindge of things, but once I get into something I learn the ins and outs and refine myself, but by your standers of fishing I am a magot because I LOVE to troll with downriggers, and by the way clients dont care how you fish they just want to castch fish!

See ya in the field or on the water!
www.eliteoutdoorsman.com
Re: Trolling [Re: AllenM] #3574941 06/13/09 01:41 AM
"
"Da" NITRO Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
"
Originally Posted By: AllenM
Mark, I had real high thoughts on you untill this, as a pro we are ambassadors of our sports, that said If it is a LEGAL method of take why bash someone? I have started out in many areas of my life on the frindge of things, but once I get into something I learn the ins and outs and refine myself, but by your standers of fishing I am a magot because I LOVE to troll with downriggers, and by the way clients dont care how you fish they just want to castch fish!

This probably the funniest post I have ever read. You really do need to lighten up Francis welcome

Re: Trolling [Re: "Da" NITRO] #3574969 06/13/09 01:51 AM
AllenM Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
not up tight my self, just think people should not judge just because it dose not set with them, but thanks for the welcome, been around a while just quiet for the most part.

See ya in the field or on the water!
www.eliteoutdoorsman.com
Re: Trolling [Re: AllenM] #3576380 06/13/09 04:50 PM
A
AgSellers04 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I caught a nice Largemouth yesterday trolling with a crankbait at Grapevine...

PBs

LMB- 11 lbs., 7 oz. Falcon

Striper- 40 lb. Long Is. Sound
BlueCat- 30 lb. Texoma
Hybrid-8.2 lb. Lewisville
Cutthroat Trout-22" Yellowstone R, WY
Rainbow Trout- 21" Blitzen R, OR
Steelhead- 8 lb. Umpqua R, OR
Redfish-20 lb. Panama C. Bay, FL

Re: Trolling [Re: AgSellers04] #3578420 06/14/09 01:07 PM
E
eleanor Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Trolling is boring. It's also a decent way to find fish when they appear to be scattered.

That said, casting, or fishing vertically, can be far more productive (IMHO). You can vary the retrieve, keep the lure in the fishing zone longer, stop it, drop back, etc., etc., etc. Usually this results in more, and larger fish.

I think trolling is a tool to be used when needed.

Re: Trolling [Re: eleanor] #3578596 06/14/09 02:49 PM
T
Thespis Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
At the new Academy on 377 in Wautaga, I bought some fake hellbenders for 88 cents each and some fake pet spoons for $1.49 each. That's a hell-pet rig for less than $3.00. Hard to beat...

I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Re: Trolling [Re: Thespis] #3578803 06/14/09 04:24 PM
Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker
Trolling SUUUCKS flame What are you thinking?

Really that is cool - Ive had bunches of friends and even my Dad that would do it - Its good to just sit back and with a girl friend and shoot the breeze and drink a beer (or your beverage of choice).

It can be great (and very productive) but is no way to catch fish but on lazy day with your girl friend it can be great.

I would just as soon catch them on jug lines.

I'm sorry - I forgot your question - hell pets etc.. etc.. etc;- drag a bait over any under water humps - points or humps and you might get lucky;

Originally Posted By: AllenM

He never said anybody was a mogot. He thinks it sucks, he persoanlly doesnt do it... but never called anybody any names.

Hello Elenor thumb

Last edited by Ray Hubbard Guide- John Varner; 06/14/09 04:25 PM.
Re: Trolling [Re: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.] #3579062 06/14/09 06:16 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Ahh, the wonderful trolling debate! Reminds me of the Ford v Chevy debate. .270 v 30-06 debate. And the list could go on.

I do what I do on the lake. And everyone else will do what they do. I've seen times when trolling was more productive, times when casting was, and times when vertical fishing was. There's times when live bait works best, and times when lures can be a preferred method.

I do what I need to to catch fish.

If any of you think less of me for trolling, think what you want. You are merely opinions on a public forum. And we all know what opinions are like!

It does open my eyes to some people's personalities every time one of these threads pop up though. So I enjoy reading them for that very reason. And I always love the keyboard commandos that claim on their PC to take actions that I yet to see take place on the water.

And what I find really funny????? To see some of these same people who despise trollers for "getting too close", or any number of reasons. Then they are the first ones to pull up on me or someone else trolling (catching fish), kill their motor, start casting, catch nothing, and then give us dirty looks for trolling too close. It has happened more than once (in a day sometimes). People like this were the main reason I bought a GPS unit for my boat. Now I don't throw out bouys for you to sit on top of.

Eleanor wrote,

"That said, casting, or fishing vertically, can be far more productive (IMHO). You can vary the retrieve, keep the lure in the fishing zone longer, stop it, drop back, etc., etc., etc."

I can do all of the things you listed while trolling. With he possible exception of keeping the baits in the strike zone longer. Because when conditions are right for it, and you find the strike zone, you can keep the baits there indefinitely.....

Trolling is an art form, just like any other kind of fishing. Some don't like it, and that's your prerogative. But to bash anyone for doing something you dislike just shows your true colors. Sure, some people are a little over zealous in everything they do. And others just don't have a clue. And this applies to any kind of fishing.

Jay

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: Trolling [Re: psycho0819] #3579341 06/14/09 08:21 PM
M
mike720 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
when u are out on tawak and its 102 in the shade no wind/or fish and u have no shade cause u r in a bass boat, trolling feels pretty good to get some kinda breeze blowing across the sweat getting all over ur shades and into ur eyes!!!!

Re: Trolling [Re: mike720] #3579472 06/14/09 09:09 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: mike720
when u are out on tawak and its 102 in the shade no wind/or fish and u have no shade cause u r in a bass boat, trolling feels pretty good to get some kinda breeze blowing across the sweat getting all over ur shades and into ur eyes!!!!

+1

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: Trolling [Re: psycho0819] #3579496 06/14/09 09:17 PM
redfin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Once the thermocline sets up on Tawakoni, it's time for DOWNRIGGING and TROLLING!

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: Trolling [Re: psycho0819] #3579761 06/14/09 11:05 PM
J
J.B. Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Some of you guys put me in mind of my union days of long ago.
Upon joining that prestigious organization I was immediately demoted from human to whale poop.
The only thing that kept me going was knowing that at the end of my two year apprenticeship the angel of knowledge would visit me in my sleep and declare me "Mechanic.
From that moment on I would know all and could treat "Aprentices " like whale poop.
Best of all I would have no memory of my "Whale Poop" days and would firmly believe that I had been all knowing from birth.
Thanks for the memories.
J.B.

Re: Trolling [Re: J.B.] #3579811 06/14/09 11:19 PM
"
"Da" NITRO Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
"
Originally Posted By: J.B.
Some of you guys put me in mind of my union days of long ago.
Upon joining that prestigious organization I was immediately demoted from human to whale poop.
The only thing that kept me going was knowing that at the end of my two year apprenticeship the angel of knowledge would visit me in my sleep and declare me "Mechanic.
From that moment on I would know all and could treat "Aprentices " like whale poop.
Best of all I would have no memory of my "Whale Poop" days and would firmly believe that I had been all knowing from birth.
Thanks for the memories.
J.B.

rolfmao Man, you sure told them!!!! thumb You rock rock

hmmm

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide