Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: TPWD increasing fees #32903 04/04/03 11:15 AM
redfinŽ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Maybe we all need to move to Georgia....home of the world record bass (22-4), striped bass state record is 63-lbs., sand bass is 5-1, shoot, they even have muskie (state record is 38-lbs.) and northern pike (18-2), walleye, and brown and rainbow trout. They even have a little bit of coastal water.

Whatta ya say, let's get a bunch up and move to Georgia.....our bass and striped bass fishing pales compared to theirs....plus they got some o' dem Yankee fish...

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: TPWD increasing fees #32904 04/04/03 01:15 PM
B
bobaldert Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I don't understand you people. You can spend 35000 for a boat, 40000 for a truck, own half of Bass Pro Shop tackle and gripe about an increase from 19 to 23 dollars for a fishing license. Give me a break guys. If this money is really going to hurt, then maybe you need to give up fishing.

Bob Aldert

Re: TPWD increasing fees #32905 04/04/03 01:20 PM
fagin007 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I really dont care if it goes up, the bottom line is that I am going to go fishing so I have to buy them. When I was in California you had to have a stamp for every extra rod you had and a stamp for this and a stamp for that plus you had to wear your liscense fully displayed above your waist. Who cares, buy them and lets get to fishing!!!!

Re: TPWD increasing fees #32906 04/04/03 02:35 PM
T
TXSportFisherman Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
I don't understand your comment Bob. I believe there are very few of us that spend the amount of money you are talking about on this sport. For them, the increase is nothing, however , the point is; increased fees equals decreased participation therefore causing increased fees...a vicious circle. Take a look at the declining #s in the new people getting involved in the sport.
Ok, I'm done preaching to the choir, I'll direct my comments to TPWD, hope ya'll do too.

Re: TPWD increasing fees #32907 04/04/03 03:06 PM
F
Fisherman Ed Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Quote:
Originally posted by TXSportFisherman:

Ok, I'm done preaching to the choir, I'll direct my comments to TPWD, hope ya'll do too.

Good idea! I'm going to send them an email in support of the raised fees.

------------------
Ed Utley

Ed
Re: TPWD increasing fees #32908 04/04/03 04:29 PM
B
bobaldert Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
At least half of the people that talk here half probably bought a new boat in the last couple of years. Many of the people use 100-150 dollar rod and reels and spend money on crankbaits( avg 5.00), senkos(6.00 per 10),and numerous other baits. Granted that the price of fishing seems to keep going up, with Gas prices and ramp fees, but that is minimal if you consider the price of all of the equipment we use(trucks, boats, rods, reels, tackle, tournaments). I much more see a problem with the hire rate to use ramps and the increasing fees to use ramps and fish on certain lakes. I know people in the winter will drive from DFW to Monticello and fish on Saturday, drive back to DFW, and make a return trip on Sunday, and then complain that it cost xxx to get into the park. If you consider that 23.00 is too much for a fishing license, than I don't see how you can afford to fish at all. This is not a poor mans sport, unless you do a lot of bank fishing.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Re: TPWD increasing fees #32909 04/04/03 04:53 PM
redfinŽ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
How many days a year do you guys fish? I figure if someone fished only Saturdays all year, that's 52 days. At $19 for a license that comes to $.365 a day spent on a license to fish. If it goes to $23, that's $.44 per day.

I think what Bob is trying to point out is, with one $150 rod and reel and a tackle box with say, $100 worth of lures in it, you've just spent $4.81 per day on tackle for those 52 days.

Then you burn, say, 5 gallons of gas going to and coming from your bank fishing hole each trip. 5 gals x $1.50/gal is $7.50 per fishing day.

We're talking a $.075 per fishing day (for 52 days) increase in license. Heck, I think nothing of buying a $.50 candy bar a day from a machine.

Guys, we're talking about leaving the tailgate down on your pick-up truck cause it may save a gallon a year.

Crunch some numbers on your own about the things you wouldn't think twice about buying that amounts to considerably more than $.075 increase over 52 fishing days (it's even less the more days you fish, okay?).

"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: TPWD increasing fees #32910 04/04/03 04:54 PM
HighTech Redneck Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
My 2cents. I am from the old book and believe in paying for what I use. A small increase in the fishing liscence does not bother me as long as they use the money to benefit my sport and the future sport for mine and your descendants. Even the increase in the guide liscense from 75. to 250. ok fine I will swallow that but more importantly use this money and do something about Golden Algea, LBV, Red Tide etc etc or we are not going to have any water in this Great State to fish,and come up with a test for a fresh water Captains liscense to go along with the Guide rates and weed out some wanna be Guides that spoil the reputation of Guide services in general. Ok Ok I will get off my soap box now.

Re: TPWD increasing fees #32911 04/05/03 02:02 AM
R
rebass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
as long as the grubby little politians keep their hands off of it and it all goes towards fishing, hunting, and the great outdoors, i don't mind a reasonable increase. but if they start using some of the money for useless government programs that only benefit a few people besides the outdoorsman, i think the outdoorsmen of Texas should ban together and resist.

Re: TPWD increasing fees #32912 04/06/03 03:30 PM
T
TXSportFisherman Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
After reading everyones opinions and doing some research on TPWD, I've realized that the increased rates are nessesary and reasonable. Like the saying goes; contempt prior to investigation will forever keep a man in ignorance. I hope I've not offended anyone.

Re: TPWD increasing fees #32913 04/07/03 04:21 AM
T
Turk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I dont think you offended anyone texsport.You were just voicing your .02 But you guys might want to check out JPs thread on News and Announcements.They now want to charge an extra $5 for a fresh water stamp.For those of you who oppose this...TreeBass is going to sent E-mails to the appropiate people on the matter.

Re: TPWD increasing fees #32914 04/07/03 04:58 AM
J
jigmeister Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
The Dallas Morning News reported that fishing license fees have not gone up in 8 years. So, that figures out to a $.50 per year increase. I would bet that most of us got pay raises over the last 8 years that easily offset the $4 increase in the fishing license. If not, I suggest packing a lunch one time a year and using the $4 you save to pay the increase on the fishing license.

There is no proof that increased license fees causes people to quit fishing.

Consider all the other ways to spend your spare time and see what it ends up costing you for a year. ONE hotdog at a professional sports venue costs more than the $4 increase. My .02 worth, now lets go fishing!

Re: TPWD increasing fees #32915 04/07/03 07:56 PM
J
Jig & Pig Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Here's the scoop....

Media Contacts:
Business Hours (512) 389-8046
E-mail news@tpwd.state.tx.us
Public Information: (800) 792-1112

April 7, 2003

TPWD Proposes Increasing Hunting, Fishing, Boat Fees
AUSTIN, Texas -- Faced with increasing demand for services and increasing costs, the Finance Committee of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission has authorized publishing in the Texas Register a proposal to increase selected hunting and fishing licenses and boat registration and titling fees by approximately 20 percent.

TPWD will schedule a series of public meetings for April and May and take public comments by phone, mail and e-mail before the Commission considers a final vote about the fee proposal at its May 29 meeting. If approved, new hunting and fishing fees would take effect when new season licenses go on sale this fall. Boat fees could change sooner, depending on Commission action.

"We haven't raised license and boat fees since 1996," said Katharine Armstrong, TPWD Commission chairman. "In the past two years, we've worked hard to set our financial house in order and looked for all the cost-savings we can find. I think we've done a good job on that front and believe this fee proposal is warranted and reasonable.

In recent years we've added game wardens in the field and upgraded facilities statewide, among other improvements. Our customers get an excellent value for the licenses and fees they pay. We need the support of our conservation constituents, the hunters, anglers and boaters of Texas, and we'll be working to explain to them the reasons for this proposal."

The Commission considered a fee increase in 2001, but decided to focus first on reducing costs and honing financial practices instead. For several years, TPWD has been able to avoid increasing fees by spending down fund balances left over at the end of each fiscal year. Those fund balances are now gone.

"In legislative committee meetings this year, we briefed state leaders on the possibility of a fee increase," said Robert L. Cook, TPWD executive director. "It's no secret that state budgets are tight this year, and I don't see it getting better next year. Earlier this year, we initiated a hiring freeze, eliminated out-of-state travel and drastically reduced capital expenditures like vehicles and boats. If we're going to provide the core services people expect, additional revenue is needed."

According to the Texas Comptroller's revenue estimates, by the end of the 2004-05 fiscal biennium, TPWD will be facing a $10 million shortfall unless the agency generates additional revenue.

Meanwhile, although fees have not increased since 1996, agency costs have risen sharply in some areas. Electricity rates have gone up about 30 percent in some parts of the state. Chronic Wasting Disease testing and response has generated unanticipated costs. Additional employees in the field mean higher costs, including items with escalating costs, like boat and vehicle fuel.

The fee proposal says the popular Super Combo license, which includes all licenses and stamps needed to hunt or fish in Texas, would increase from $49 to $59. The Super Combo generated almost $17 million last year-that's about one-fourth of the 2002 gross license revenue of $69 million. Resident fishing and resident hunting licenses would each increase from $19 to $23. All told, TPWD has 162 license types.

Hunting and fishing stamps and senior and youth license types would not increase. Commercial licenses and state park fees would likewise not be affected if the current proposal goes through.

A staff analysis showed that with the proposed increases, TPWD fees would be in line with cost of living increases since 1996. For example, although the Super Combo license now costs $49, its seven-year inflation value is $58.25, about the same as the proposed increase to $59.

Boat registration and titling fees would also increase for the first time since 1996. Boat registration for vessels less than 16 feet would increase from $25 to $30. Boats from 16 to 25 feet would go from $40 to $50. Boats 26 feet to 40 feet would go from $55 to $70. Boats more than 40 feet long would go from $70 to $90. Livery (rental) boat fees would go from $15 to $30. Titles for all boats would increase from $15 to $25.

Boat fee revenue is currently dedicated for use only in Fund 9, which pays for fisheries and wildlife management and law enforcement. But TPWD's greatest need is in Fund 64 for state parks, where close to 90 employee positions have been held vacant for more than a year to save money. Proposed legislation would allow TPWD to use up to 15 percent of boat revenue in Fund 64. This would help cover costs at 26 lake-based state parks with boat ramps and other facilities.

If the fee increase proposal passes, it would bring in an additional $13.8 million in revenue for fiscal year 2004.

The proposal will be submitted to the Texas Register the week of April 8 and is expected to be published in the register April 25.

Anyone can see proposed fee and regulation changes and make comments via the Internet (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/involved/pubhear/local_meetings.htm).

Dates and locations for public meetings about fee increase proposals will also be published here. Or, the public can send comments in writing to: Executive Office, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744 or phone toll free (800) 792-1112, enter zero for the operator and ask for the executive office.

Good Fishing!
"Jig & Pig"
Re: TPWD increasing fees #32916 04/07/03 08:41 PM
redfinŽ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Let's see...

"...by the end of the 2004-2005 fiscal biennium, TPWD will be facing a $10 million shortfall unless the agency generates additional revenue."

and

"If the fee increase proposal passes, it would bring in $13.8 million in revenue for fiscal year 2004."

I wonder if that extra $3.8 million is for awshucks or cost of living (economic index) increases between now and then?

Re: TPWD increasing fees #32917 04/07/03 11:05 PM
K
Keithscatch Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Sounds more like a sales pitch then anything to me. We are not just talking about a $4 license fee increase but for most of us a $10 boat registration increase as well.

Something to consider.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide