Texas Fishing Forum

TPWD increasing fees

Posted By: TXSportFisherman

TPWD increasing fees - 04/03/03 04:19 PM

Read in the paper today the cost of fishing is going up again(suprise ,huh?). TPWD will hear discussion until May then enact the charges. Example increase proposed is 49 to 59$ for super combo. They claim its a good deal ???

[This message has been edited by TXSportFisherman (edited 04-06-2003).]
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/03/03 04:53 PM

When will they ever claim that it isn't a good deal? I guess that's like saying It'll only hurt for a little while.
Posted By: Fisherman Ed

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/03/03 05:58 PM

I don't have any problem with the increased fees. I believe we benefit from the increases and I believe most of the fee increase goes for improved fish stocking, hatchery remodelling, park/ramp upkeep and maintenance, biological studies, etc. Texas is among the states with the lowest fishing and hunting license costs. We have been spoiled. Just my .02

------------------
Ed Utley
Posted By: BMCD

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/03/03 06:08 PM

$59 for 365 days of fishing. It is still a good deal.
Posted By: Turk

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/03/03 06:48 PM

I DONT AGREE WITH THE INCREASE BUT THEIR GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY.WITH THE ECONOMY THE WAY IT IS NOW ALOT OF BUSINESES ARE MAKING CUTBACKS AND DOWN SIZING,NOT TO MENTION LAY OFFS.TPW HAS GREAT TIMING TO TALK ABOUT INCREASES,THEY WANT GET MORE PEOPLE INTRESTED IN HUNTING AND FISHING BUT WITH INCREASES I WOULD THINK THEY WOULD LOSE A FEW.LAST TIME I LOOKED YOU COULDNT EVEN APPLY FOR A JOB WITH TPW BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL FROZEN BUT WHEN THEY WANT MORE MONEY THEY JUST SAY ....HECK LET THE HUNTERS AND FISHERMEN BAIL US OUT.......DONT GET ME WRONG I LIKE AND APPRECIATE THE JOB THEY DO BUT WHY AN INCREASE NOW.
Posted By: Keithscatch

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/03/03 07:28 PM

Is the price of the regular fishing license going up? I am not a hunter so I don't care what the price of a hunting license is. The regular fishing license fee is $29 right now. What are they proposing that will go to?
Posted By: bascat

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/03/03 07:37 PM

Where did you get your facts that Texas has one of the lowest fees in the country.
Posted By: DTCOOPER

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/03/03 09:02 PM

Keith,
I think the fishing license is 19.00 right now.

Bass,
And per surface acre of publically fishable water, the license fees for Texas, are 40% lower than ANY OTHER STATE

Guys, please understand that the increasd fees, will go strictly towards fishing and hunting related things. Now, those will include state parks and such, but all to be affiliated with parks and outdoor related stuff.
I do not have a problem with them raising the fees a little bit. The did after all cut expenses last year, and tighten the purse strings some what.
That should get the proverbial hive a buzzin !!

------------------
Daniel Cooper
Texas Fishing Forum
Tournament Director
tournaments@texasfishingforum.com
Posted By: redfinŽ

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/03/03 09:58 PM

Here's a good comparison. The state of New Hampshire...what, maybe 1/20th the size of Texas? I wonder how many places they have to fish and I wonder how many months of the year they have open water? What do you think their miles of coastal water is compared to Texas?

A resident fishing license there in 2001 was $24.25, in 2002 it increased to $31.00, and in 2003 it increased to $35...just their annual fishing license only!

Good deal in Texas? You betcha. Better fishing programs in Texas? Damn straight. Show me another state besides Texas where you can hit a power plant cooling lake and find redfish. Or a better bass rearing program (Florida and California excluded).

California resident fishing license is $30.70. Florida resident freshwater only fishing license is $13.50 and their combination freshwater/saltwater resident fishing license is $25.50.

TP&W gets no complaint from me. Now city controlled ramp fees...that's a different story. There is where the battle needs to be fought.

------------------

[This message has been edited by redfin (edited 04-03-2003).]
Posted By: TX Champ

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/03/03 11:24 PM

Well, I'll pitch my 2˘ in here. $59.00 for the Super Combo is still a good deal considering all the stamps you get with it (less than $4.92/mo). I wonder how many here actually buy it over a fishing license. Bet it's less than 50%. So, since all these other state sramps are included how about including the proposed Freshwater Fishing Stamp with the Super Combo? After all it does include the $10 Salt Water Stamp that those guys have to buy.

The proposed boat fees are the same thing. $25.00 a year is cheap! What does it cost you a year to register the trailer? Your truck?

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the Federal Excise Tax we pay when we buy any fishing or hunting gear goes to the general fund or does it go to the TPWD? Considering the number of licenses bought each year by Texans that the amount of equipment and paraphernalia bought is probably astronomical. I know I do my part!!

I think, though with these increases ought to come a little more accountability. Wasn't the TPWD denied some increases a couple of years ago because they couldn't account for a big chunk of money?

------------------

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 12:38 AM

Daniel,

I must have got a non resident license. I moved back to Texas in Late 2001 So I guess when I bought the 2002 license they had me as a non resident. But that is wrong because I was here for more than 6 months.

I will make sure that they don't overcharge me this time around. By the way, Georgia's fishing license is only $9 for residents.

If you want to talk about expensive. Colorado is the place. Their fishing license is only $20.25 for a resident however their lakes charge $5 to launch your boat. Plus you have to buy a pass for some areas on top of the license. They have one state park that charges $5 entry fee per person plus $6 to launch a boat. That is $11 to fish their little lake.

At least here we can launch a boat on many of our lakes without paying a launch fee. Some lakes you do but at least you have an option.

[This message has been edited by Keithscatch (edited 04-03-2003).]
Posted By: Bassinfool

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 12:47 AM

O.K., may as well put in 2 cents about this situation. I am sure all of us will STILL fish and hunt here in Texas when licenses increase. What I do not like about the situation is, what will go up next, our boat registration fees, license plate fees for trailers, have to buy catfish stamp, carp stamp, crappie stamp, perch stamp, see where I am going with this? I will buy them but not like it. Ron

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 01:24 AM

The article in the Austin American Statesman 4/3 said boat registration is going up too. It also mentioned that when fees go up, they lose approx. 3% in revenue due to fisherpeople just quitting the sport. See the trend here, raise the fee, lose people, charge more to those that participate.
I have to comment that I don't hunt , just fish , so $ towards hunting programs should be funded by those in the sport. Texas Fish and Game reported a few months ago of an additional freshwater stamp with the funds going to remodel a fish hatchery. I find fault with TPWD for not budgeting $ for this program. Did they (TPWD) think that the hatchery would last forever? I believe this is a good example of poor planning on thier part. Compared to other states, we in Texas may have it good now but, in light of fees that are increaseing yearly, this won't last long. My baised $.02 worth.

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 02:06 AM

California resident fishing license is $30.70.

Redfin, Regarding the California fee you forgot to add an extra $3.70 for Striper Stamp, and IF YOU WANT TO FISH WITH TWO RODS YOU HAVE TO PAY AN EXTRA $9.70!!

TP&W gets no complaint from me. Now city controlled ramp fees...that's a different story. There is where the battle needs to be fought.

I also agree with you concerning the ramp fees. Decker Lake (Austin owned) charges $8.00 to launch on weekends and $5.00 weekdays. I think $8.00 is ridiculous.

------------------
Ed Utley

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 04:27 AM

Think about this....if we make it easy for them to raise the fees.They are going to think WOW that was easy....just like taking candy from a baby....and then they might just feel that they need more $$$ next year or the year after...catch my drift.

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 11:15 AM

Maybe we all need to move to Georgia....home of the world record bass (22-4), striped bass state record is 63-lbs., sand bass is 5-1, shoot, they even have muskie (state record is 38-lbs.) and northern pike (18-2), walleye, and brown and rainbow trout. They even have a little bit of coastal water.

Whatta ya say, let's get a bunch up and move to Georgia.....our bass and striped bass fishing pales compared to theirs....plus they got some o' dem Yankee fish...
Posted By: bobaldert

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 01:15 PM

I don't understand you people. You can spend 35000 for a boat, 40000 for a truck, own half of Bass Pro Shop tackle and gripe about an increase from 19 to 23 dollars for a fishing license. Give me a break guys. If this money is really going to hurt, then maybe you need to give up fishing.

Bob Aldert
Posted By: fagin007

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 01:20 PM

I really dont care if it goes up, the bottom line is that I am going to go fishing so I have to buy them. When I was in California you had to have a stamp for every extra rod you had and a stamp for this and a stamp for that plus you had to wear your liscense fully displayed above your waist. Who cares, buy them and lets get to fishing!!!!

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 02:35 PM

I don't understand your comment Bob. I believe there are very few of us that spend the amount of money you are talking about on this sport. For them, the increase is nothing, however , the point is; increased fees equals decreased participation therefore causing increased fees...a vicious circle. Take a look at the declining #s in the new people getting involved in the sport.
Ok, I'm done preaching to the choir, I'll direct my comments to TPWD, hope ya'll do too.

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TXSportFisherman:

Ok, I'm done preaching to the choir, I'll direct my comments to TPWD, hope ya'll do too.

Good idea! I'm going to send them an email in support of the raised fees.

------------------
Ed Utley
Posted By: bobaldert

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 04:29 PM

At least half of the people that talk here half probably bought a new boat in the last couple of years. Many of the people use 100-150 dollar rod and reels and spend money on crankbaits( avg 5.00), senkos(6.00 per 10),and numerous other baits. Granted that the price of fishing seems to keep going up, with Gas prices and ramp fees, but that is minimal if you consider the price of all of the equipment we use(trucks, boats, rods, reels, tackle, tournaments). I much more see a problem with the hire rate to use ramps and the increasing fees to use ramps and fish on certain lakes. I know people in the winter will drive from DFW to Monticello and fish on Saturday, drive back to DFW, and make a return trip on Sunday, and then complain that it cost xxx to get into the park. If you consider that 23.00 is too much for a fishing license, than I don't see how you can afford to fish at all. This is not a poor mans sport, unless you do a lot of bank fishing.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 04:53 PM

How many days a year do you guys fish? I figure if someone fished only Saturdays all year, that's 52 days. At $19 for a license that comes to $.365 a day spent on a license to fish. If it goes to $23, that's $.44 per day.

I think what Bob is trying to point out is, with one $150 rod and reel and a tackle box with say, $100 worth of lures in it, you've just spent $4.81 per day on tackle for those 52 days.

Then you burn, say, 5 gallons of gas going to and coming from your bank fishing hole each trip. 5 gals x $1.50/gal is $7.50 per fishing day.

We're talking a $.075 per fishing day (for 52 days) increase in license. Heck, I think nothing of buying a $.50 candy bar a day from a machine.

Guys, we're talking about leaving the tailgate down on your pick-up truck cause it may save a gallon a year.

Crunch some numbers on your own about the things you wouldn't think twice about buying that amounts to considerably more than $.075 increase over 52 fishing days (it's even less the more days you fish, okay?).
Posted By: HighTech Redneck

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/04/03 04:54 PM

My 2cents. I am from the old book and believe in paying for what I use. A small increase in the fishing liscence does not bother me as long as they use the money to benefit my sport and the future sport for mine and your descendants. Even the increase in the guide liscense from 75. to 250. ok fine I will swallow that but more importantly use this money and do something about Golden Algea, LBV, Red Tide etc etc or we are not going to have any water in this Great State to fish,and come up with a test for a fresh water Captains liscense to go along with the Guide rates and weed out some wanna be Guides that spoil the reputation of Guide services in general. Ok Ok I will get off my soap box now.
Posted By: rebass

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/05/03 02:02 AM

as long as the grubby little politians keep their hands off of it and it all goes towards fishing, hunting, and the great outdoors, i don't mind a reasonable increase. but if they start using some of the money for useless government programs that only benefit a few people besides the outdoorsman, i think the outdoorsmen of Texas should ban together and resist.

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/06/03 03:30 PM

After reading everyones opinions and doing some research on TPWD, I've realized that the increased rates are nessesary and reasonable. Like the saying goes; contempt prior to investigation will forever keep a man in ignorance. I hope I've not offended anyone.

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/07/03 04:21 AM

I dont think you offended anyone texsport.You were just voicing your .02 But you guys might want to check out JPs thread on News and Announcements.They now want to charge an extra $5 for a fresh water stamp.For those of you who oppose this...TreeBass is going to sent E-mails to the appropiate people on the matter.
Posted By: jigmeister

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/07/03 04:58 AM

The Dallas Morning News reported that fishing license fees have not gone up in 8 years. So, that figures out to a $.50 per year increase. I would bet that most of us got pay raises over the last 8 years that easily offset the $4 increase in the fishing license. If not, I suggest packing a lunch one time a year and using the $4 you save to pay the increase on the fishing license.

There is no proof that increased license fees causes people to quit fishing.

Consider all the other ways to spend your spare time and see what it ends up costing you for a year. ONE hotdog at a professional sports venue costs more than the $4 increase. My .02 worth, now lets go fishing!
Posted By: Jig & Pig

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/07/03 07:56 PM

Here's the scoop....

Media Contacts:
Business Hours (512) 389-8046
E-mail news@tpwd.state.tx.us
Public Information: (800) 792-1112

April 7, 2003

TPWD Proposes Increasing Hunting, Fishing, Boat Fees
AUSTIN, Texas -- Faced with increasing demand for services and increasing costs, the Finance Committee of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission has authorized publishing in the Texas Register a proposal to increase selected hunting and fishing licenses and boat registration and titling fees by approximately 20 percent.

TPWD will schedule a series of public meetings for April and May and take public comments by phone, mail and e-mail before the Commission considers a final vote about the fee proposal at its May 29 meeting. If approved, new hunting and fishing fees would take effect when new season licenses go on sale this fall. Boat fees could change sooner, depending on Commission action.

"We haven't raised license and boat fees since 1996," said Katharine Armstrong, TPWD Commission chairman. "In the past two years, we've worked hard to set our financial house in order and looked for all the cost-savings we can find. I think we've done a good job on that front and believe this fee proposal is warranted and reasonable.

In recent years we've added game wardens in the field and upgraded facilities statewide, among other improvements. Our customers get an excellent value for the licenses and fees they pay. We need the support of our conservation constituents, the hunters, anglers and boaters of Texas, and we'll be working to explain to them the reasons for this proposal."

The Commission considered a fee increase in 2001, but decided to focus first on reducing costs and honing financial practices instead. For several years, TPWD has been able to avoid increasing fees by spending down fund balances left over at the end of each fiscal year. Those fund balances are now gone.

"In legislative committee meetings this year, we briefed state leaders on the possibility of a fee increase," said Robert L. Cook, TPWD executive director. "It's no secret that state budgets are tight this year, and I don't see it getting better next year. Earlier this year, we initiated a hiring freeze, eliminated out-of-state travel and drastically reduced capital expenditures like vehicles and boats. If we're going to provide the core services people expect, additional revenue is needed."

According to the Texas Comptroller's revenue estimates, by the end of the 2004-05 fiscal biennium, TPWD will be facing a $10 million shortfall unless the agency generates additional revenue.

Meanwhile, although fees have not increased since 1996, agency costs have risen sharply in some areas. Electricity rates have gone up about 30 percent in some parts of the state. Chronic Wasting Disease testing and response has generated unanticipated costs. Additional employees in the field mean higher costs, including items with escalating costs, like boat and vehicle fuel.

The fee proposal says the popular Super Combo license, which includes all licenses and stamps needed to hunt or fish in Texas, would increase from $49 to $59. The Super Combo generated almost $17 million last year-that's about one-fourth of the 2002 gross license revenue of $69 million. Resident fishing and resident hunting licenses would each increase from $19 to $23. All told, TPWD has 162 license types.

Hunting and fishing stamps and senior and youth license types would not increase. Commercial licenses and state park fees would likewise not be affected if the current proposal goes through.

A staff analysis showed that with the proposed increases, TPWD fees would be in line with cost of living increases since 1996. For example, although the Super Combo license now costs $49, its seven-year inflation value is $58.25, about the same as the proposed increase to $59.

Boat registration and titling fees would also increase for the first time since 1996. Boat registration for vessels less than 16 feet would increase from $25 to $30. Boats from 16 to 25 feet would go from $40 to $50. Boats 26 feet to 40 feet would go from $55 to $70. Boats more than 40 feet long would go from $70 to $90. Livery (rental) boat fees would go from $15 to $30. Titles for all boats would increase from $15 to $25.

Boat fee revenue is currently dedicated for use only in Fund 9, which pays for fisheries and wildlife management and law enforcement. But TPWD's greatest need is in Fund 64 for state parks, where close to 90 employee positions have been held vacant for more than a year to save money. Proposed legislation would allow TPWD to use up to 15 percent of boat revenue in Fund 64. This would help cover costs at 26 lake-based state parks with boat ramps and other facilities.

If the fee increase proposal passes, it would bring in an additional $13.8 million in revenue for fiscal year 2004.

The proposal will be submitted to the Texas Register the week of April 8 and is expected to be published in the register April 25.

Anyone can see proposed fee and regulation changes and make comments via the Internet (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/involved/pubhear/local_meetings.htm).

Dates and locations for public meetings about fee increase proposals will also be published here. Or, the public can send comments in writing to: Executive Office, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744 or phone toll free (800) 792-1112, enter zero for the operator and ask for the executive office.

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/07/03 08:41 PM

Let's see...

"...by the end of the 2004-2005 fiscal biennium, TPWD will be facing a $10 million shortfall unless the agency generates additional revenue."

and

"If the fee increase proposal passes, it would bring in $13.8 million in revenue for fiscal year 2004."

I wonder if that extra $3.8 million is for awshucks or cost of living (economic index) increases between now and then?

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/07/03 11:05 PM

Sounds more like a sales pitch then anything to me. We are not just talking about a $4 license fee increase but for most of us a $10 boat registration increase as well.

Something to consider.
Posted By: fishin'addiction

Re: TPWD increasing fees - 04/08/03 11:56 AM

Enough is enough! 30% of what I earn goes to some form of government. I'm taxed on what I earn, gas, fishing, hunting, anything I buy and again when I sell it. How the whole tax issue was started is another story in and of itself (do some research or ask one of the older people you know about it sometime) but this is ridiculous. Show me where the money goes...all of it, and I'll show you some politician lining his pockets or one his supporters pockets. If it goes to improving fishing ONLY, I might be inclined to support it, but the money is already out there, just being drained by some Snake posing as a "Peoples Representative." I'm going to get a lifetime license TODAY! I love my country but under the circumstances I don't trust my government worth a damn!!! I'll write, like I ALWAYS do and get some mamby pamby response, but at least I'm trying. On the other hand, if I were a multi-millionaire, I'd just buy the legislature off, like the rich folks do and be done with it, or it would just be another trivial matter.Nothing like getting rich off the poor folks backs, it's been done that way for years.
I'm not sure about the rest of you , but I work hard for every penny I make. I don't drive a $30,000 boat or a Hummer, I save as much as I can so I can actually retire someday and fish all day, every day.
My 2 cents.

------------------
When in doubt, Set the hook!! SUA SPONTE
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum