Print Thread
Questions to ask when searching for a boat? #3216201 03/11/09 05:57 AM
H
hargefish Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
H
Ok, like I have said Im in the process of searching and calling about my first boat. With my budget I am definitely looking at boats that are going to be 12+ years old it seems like. I have already decided that once I get serious about a particular boat I will have it inspected and all that, but before I get to that point, what are some questions that I should be asking the sellers? Is there anything you can think of that is good to ask about and make sure before I get too inlvolved in negotiating? I am not an expert by any means and just want to be knolwedgeable of what to be aware of. Im trying to do as much homework as I can so I can feel confident in pursuing this purchase. Thank you so much for your time and advice!!!

Re: Questions to ask when searching for a boat? [Re: hargefish] #3216208 03/11/09 06:02 AM
Monte Coon Offline
Coon's Bar & Grill
Coon's Bar & Grill
If your any where close to Denton I would have Michael Bristow check it out before I bought any Pre Owned boat. Beyond that I really can't advise you but that would be a must.

[Linked Image]
Monte Coon | Sales Manager | Moritz Chevrolet | 817-696-2003

www.facebook.com/MoritzFortWorth
www.moritzchevrolet.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.funnsunboats.com
Re: Questions to ask when searching for a boat? [Re: Monte Coon] #3217950 03/11/09 06:25 PM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L
Find out how many owners the boat has had. Ask for all the maintenance records...Find out how many hours are on the engine...You want to know how often the impellar/water pump was changed...Once a year is good, but every two years isn't a no go...If the engine is supposed to have an oil injector on it, you want to know if that has been disabled or if it's still working properly...You want to take off your shoes when you see the boat and climb in it...Check for soft spots in the floors...

Look for discoloration (especially circular ones) in the paint...These could be signs of a repaired impact spot...

When you go to look at the boat, get the seller to take you out on the lake with it...That will tell you a lot...

Also, check the transom for cracks pull on it a little when you look at it and make certain it doesn't 'give'...A weak transom can be VERY costly to replace/repair...

Re: Questions to ask when searching for a boat? [Re: LoneStarSon] #3218155 03/11/09 07:06 PM
B
bobberdown@live.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
hmmm, on a 12 year old boat, I doubt that you will find an hour meter, so you most likely will not get an accurate or honest answer unless it is a 1 owner boat, and even then it will be a guess without a meter.

Dont get discouraged if there are not any maintanence records. Many motors dont require or need maint performed on them. Some guys do their impeller themselves.

An impeller needs to be replaced every 2-4 years, every year is a little bit excessive, most important is when you start the motor does the "tell tail" or "pee stream" immedialy start, if it does, then the impeller is good, if it does not, then the impeller needs to be replaced.

I would ask just as Lone Star Son has indicated
- Mix the fuel yourself or does the motor do it itself?
- Is there any water in the hull after a day on the lake?
- Have there been any repairs to the hull?
- Is the hull fiberglass or aluminum
- If aluminum is it welded or rivited? Rivits will leak eventually
- When was the impeller changed last? IF done by owner, what is the date on the receipt for the impeller, if no receipt, assume it has been 2-3 years and needs to be done upon purchase or prior to purchase
- When were the bearings repacked on the trailer?
- condition of the trailer tires?
- transom saver for the outboard?
- bilge pump? does it work?
- all electronics on the boat work?
- what electronics are included (Fish Finder?)
- tachometer work?
- Live well? Aereator work?
- Anchor light, and navigation lights work?
- anything not work on the boat?
- equipment included (safety, lifejackets, anchor etc)
- If bunk trailer how old are the bunks? Dry rot? Wet Rot?
- Are there any improperly repaired holes in the transom? Old fishfinder sonars that were replaced but holes not sealed?
- How is the bow of the boat? Ruffed up from beaching?
- Condition of the upholstry?
- Does the trailer tongue have a jack?
- Does the trailer winch have cable/strap? Condition?
- Are there any "tricks or oddities about the boat or motor that will help you as the new owner?"
- spare prop included?
- Delivered with full tank of fuel?

Have fun......

Re: Questions to ask when searching for a boat? [Re: bobberdown@live.com] #3219672 03/11/09 11:53 PM
kingdad101 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
the first question I would ask is.."Do you have the title for the boat AND motor, and are they in your name"..
then the rest are good things to check/do..
I would not spend a minute on a 12 year old boat if the "owner" doesn't have the titles in hand..

Re: Questions to ask when searching for a boat? [Re: kingdad101] #3222070 03/12/09 01:49 PM
D
Dwight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D

Re: Questions to ask when searching for a boat? [Re: hargefish] #3222231 03/12/09 02:15 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: hargefish
Ok, like I have said Im in the process of searching and calling about my first boat. With my budget I am definitely looking at boats that are going to be 12+ years old it seems like. I have already decided that once I get serious about a particular boat I will have it inspected and all that, but before I get to that point, what are some questions that I should be asking the sellers? Is there anything you can think of that is good to ask about and make sure before I get too inlvolved in negotiating? I am not an expert by any means and just want to be knolwedgeable of what to be aware of. Im trying to do as much homework as I can so I can feel confident in pursuing this purchase. Thank you so much for your time and advice!!!

find out if there Wood in the hull. Some boats of that vintage were still making wood transoms. You would like to avoid that if possible....look at the paint..If it's faded, the chances are the boat has been in the sun and other elements. Be observant as to how the boat has been stored. I would suggest you take a test ride, and if you are really serious, be willing to pay a dealer to check out the motor, if NTF is not available to you. Also, it wouldn't hurt to check the inside of the tires for a date stamp to see how old the tires are, and to ask when the last time the hubs were repacked.

And oh, my 17 year old Ranger 372V is back on the market. Send me a PM with email address and I will provide you with pics, price, and additional info on the boat.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: Questions to ask when searching for a boat? [Re: KingwoodCat] #3223405 03/12/09 06:23 PM
H
hargefish Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
H
Wow, that is some awesome advice, I really appreciate it. This boat searching is hard work, and can be a little overwhelming for me who doesnt know much about the little things. But I guess I got to start somewhere, it will be a relief to be able to take to a place like North Texas Fiberglass to have it checked out, what great place this forum is!!!

Re: Questions to ask when searching for a boat? [Re: hargefish] #3224483 03/12/09 09:44 PM
B
Benz Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Take it to Bristow, if the owner will not lake test, run away hes hiding something

Re: Questions to ask when searching for a boat? [Re: Benz] #3225101 03/12/09 11:59 PM
OldFrog Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Two questions:

1. Is it a Skeeter?
2. Do you have papers on it ?
rolfmao

J/K. Take it to Bristow, whatever you buy...but do it BEFORE you buy it. Look at the trailer too.

Now, Donald...please pick John Bolton for your running mate.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide