Print Thread
It doesn't take much #29819 04/10/06 02:35 AM
T
Texas Husker Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
T
Last week some of my grandkids came over. One of the girls, age 11, is small but quite athletic and very outdoorsy. I had given she and her twin sister a short crappie pole to practice cast with in their backyard. When they got to my place, we went down on the dock and I gave her a 6'6" spinning rod with open face reel to try for the first time. Her hand was so small she could hardly open the bail. On her 3rd cast with a little rooster tail spinner she caught a 2 lb. lmb and 2 casts later she got a l lb. sandie. Today I got an e-mail from her that said, "Papa, when can I come over and cast again? I am so excited!

It doesn't take much to get these young kids excited about fishing and the great outdoors. As far as I'm concerned it's something that is a lot more healthy than having them play computer games. We all should work to give them
good memories and, oh yes, give US good memories also.

Next week the whole family shows up for Easter so I will have 6 poles to rig up with minnows for crappie. They'll wear me out but we'll all have fun.

Just another proud, chest puffing grandad. Let's hear from some of the rest of you about your kids or grandkids stories. smile fish

Re: It doesn't take much #29820 04/10/06 06:59 AM
A
Arsonal Offline
Angler
Angler
A
That's awesome. I wasn't really raised into fishing, but knowing how beneficial it is now, my son will definitely be exposed to fishing as much as possible.

My son is still a little young to get in the boat with just me and him (2 1/2), but I can't wait. I don't really have a good bank fishing spot and he probably wouldn't hold interest long.

He is, however, pretty durned good at casting. He's got a Zebco Tigger pole that I reguarly replace little plastic grubs on (no hooks yet). He can launch it nice and is pretty accurate already. If I can keep him attentive long enough to get him a fish, it will all be over then.

Re: It doesn't take much #29821 04/10/06 03:08 PM
T
Tech Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I have two teenage boys, 15 and 17, and they still will pass up hanging out with their friends to go fishing with the ol man!! I think that is very rare for teenagers. They are very good fishermen and usually out fish me. I'm a very lucky father.

Re: It doesn't take much #29822 04/11/06 02:07 AM
F
fishin-fool Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I HAVE A GRANDSON NAMED CALEB HE CAUGHT A FISH AT THE DAM AND CRANKED TO FAR UP AND THE FISH GOT OFF AND HE SAID PAPA THAT FISH WAS MINE . IT TOUCHES UR HEART

Re: It doesn't take much #29823 04/11/06 11:04 AM
HighTech Redneck Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
My Grandson Cyrus is 6 years old and has six awards for TPW, young angler awards and catch and release awards. I recently had a 2 full page photo in a magazine of me setting the hook on one in the Brazos River. Photo by Luke Clayton. Anyway I sent my Daughter (in Lubbock) a copy and she shows it to Cyrus and says " Look Cyrus, your PaPa is the best fisherman around, he has a full page photo in a mag." Cyrus says "So" What do you mean so, your PaPa is one of the best fisherman around. Cyrus says, No he's not, I am, I have 6 awards and PaPa only has 1. flehan
The boy is ruined and I did it. LOL. Not only does he catch fish but has the smack talk down too. Just gotta remind him who teaches him to fish. laugh BTW, my 2 year old Grand Daughter has 2 awards from TPW, First Fish award and Young Angler catch and release award.
Proud PaPa. laugh

Re: It doesn't take much #29824 04/11/06 01:41 PM
clove Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
My son is nine and really getting into the sport. He has already co-hosted a fishing show with Barry Stokes and reminds me that he is my good luck charm. He told me if I keep trying I might make it on TV too.

Music to my ears! I recently took him to Amistad and let him fish for any decent fish we saw. I had more fun watching him catch those fish and run the trolling motor than I would have if I had been catching them.

I guess that is the definition of love, enjoying seeing someone you love do something more than if you had done it yourself. Great times and great memories!

Re: It doesn't take much #29825 04/11/06 02:24 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
C
highteck you just made my day by puttin that for me to read...your grandson has it down pat and he's only 6..look out B.A.S.S. a future champion is on the way...i love to see that...give him a high-five for me

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: It doesn't take much #29826 04/11/06 02:54 PM
SkeeterHawk Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Well it so happens that the weekend before last I had planned on going to Ray Hubbard for half a day fishing with my 25 year old son.

My daughter calls Friday night and needs a sitter for my 8 year old grand daughter on Saturday.

Hummm to fish or babysit? I did both. laugh

The grand daugther was so excited about going fishing with pa-pa.She had her own Barbie fishing pole too.

Since there was rain in the forecast and it looked threatening that morning I stayed close to the launch area.

It was time for the first casts with the pratice plug on that Barbie pole.I could not believe how well she casted that plug.

But no she had to have a real lure on the end of the line.So I tied on a sinker and a hook.Placed a small plastic worm on the hook and making sure that the hook point was buried.

She casted the tar out of that set-up for a good half hour until she finally snapped the line.

Pa-Pa I need a new hook and worm.

Well about that time my son said get the net NOW.

I sit the grand daughter in the drivers seat and told her not to move until we got the fish in the boat.

I net the fish and get it into the boat.My son reachs into the net and pulls it out.

Of course the fish comes out of the net with gills flared and the bucket mouth wide open.
My grand daughter sees this and totally freaks out and jumps of the drivers seat onto the back deck.I thought for sure she was going to jump out of the boat to get away from the fish.

My son and I carefully weigh and measure the fish before placing it back in the water.

The grand daughter is ready for a new hook and sinker.

I ask her "Are you going to catch a big one like that?" and she says "Yes,but you have to take it off the hook".

I think pa-pa and grand daughter need a few more trips together.

Re: It doesn't take much #29827 04/11/06 03:16 PM
Jerrybign Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
For the first time ever, my oldest grandson Dagan wouldn't wake up yesterday and go fishing with us...MAN!!! was he ever upset when we got home!! He wouldn't look at our catch, help with the cleaning of fish, wouldn't even talk to us. Went into the house for some more pouting. When the grease got hot, he cooled down and came to the dining room with a smile on his face as he ate about 6 filets laugh some fries and some orange soda...yep, he will wake up the next time!!

Religion is a guy in church thinking about fishing. Relationship is a guy fishing thinking about God!

Re: It doesn't take much #29828 04/11/06 08:54 PM
T
Texas Husker Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
T
Great stories guys, keep em coming.

Forgot to mention earlier, that my other twin granddaughter is more of the cheerleader, model type young lady so one of her first questions to me was, Papa, do you have any pink lures?? Ya gotta love em!!

Re: It doesn't take much #29829 04/12/06 05:56 AM
J
jenn Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
My 5 year old has more patience for fishing than most adults. A couple of weeks ago during spring break the neighbor, a part time guide, took his kids( one 12 and one 15) my cousin ( he is 12) and my son (5) out on the bay fishing. When he got home I asked the neighbor how he did, if he drove them crazy being on a boat with the other kids. He said that not only was he the best behaved kid on that boat he caught the only keeper fish out of the kids. He told me that he would take him anytime no matter who was going. Thats my baby, he must get it from his momma! lol!!

Re: It doesn't take much #29830 04/12/06 05:57 AM
J
jenn Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Oh yea about the patience that is the only kid that I have known that will sit there for HOURS until he catches a fish. 99% of the time he outlast my hubby!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide