Page 1 of 2 1 2
New in Town #2907307 12/11/08 01:23 PM
S
Scouser Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Hi all - just moved to Austin (Round Rock) from Central Coast California (booo, hiss!) and have a couple of questions. Anyone care to help the noob?

Checking the Texas fishing licenses, it says I have to be here 6 months before I can get the $28 resident freshwater fishing licnese. Can I get round this if I get my TX Driving license first or do they still check how long you've lived in the state?

A little about me:
I'm a Brit. Yeah, I know, the last thing Texas needs is another Brit, and especially a Scouser, but I've been in the States 13 years now so I'm almost a native! flag

Anyway, I stopped fishing when I moved to the US and only started up again about 18 months ago and I'm looking forward to fishing Town Lake (Sorry, Ladybird), Emma Long etc, and can't wait to catch my first US Mirror (anyone know any mirror lakes locally?) and Buff.

I'm strictly a Catch and Release carp angler (I never really fish for anything else) and was a CAG member for a while until the California infighting made me re-think my membership. Why can't we all just go out and fish and have fun, eh?

So, for my next question:
Anyone ever fished Meadow Lake (Settlement Lake Park)? It's right in my neighborhood and I'm itching to get out and fish it! grin Any tips?

And lastly, does anyone know where I can get Range Cubes, Maize (Deer Corn), and soymeal local to me? There's a Tractor Supply about 7 miles up the road, but if anyone knows a feed store in Round Rock...

I know, what's with all these questions eh?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know you folks and hopefully meeting up with you on the bankside some day soon.

Cheers and Tight Lines,
Tony

Re: New in Town [Re: Scouser] #2907352 12/11/08 01:38 PM
A
agfisher02 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Howdy - I live in RR as well. Tractor supply will carry your range cubes, maize, etc. There is a john deer shop on 29 in GT by wolf ranch shoping center that carries the stuff as well. As far as feed stores...there are a couple out in GT (Georgetown) and one I know of in Cedar Park.

I have never fished Meadow Lake but would be happy to give it a shot. Most of the local ponds around here have a few small to low teens in them. If your looking for something larger there are a few parks that hold some nice fish not too far from you. I have a list of ponds in the area that I hope to hit in the next couple of months as my fishing time as of late has been next to zero.

There are a couple of mirror lakes with-in 30 min - 1 hr drive, not to mention Town and Lake Austin have a few.

If your ever up for a session let me know. Send me a PM and I will also help you in the area as much as I can.

Fightin' Texas Aggies
Class of '02

Re: New in Town [Re: agfisher02] #2907398 12/11/08 01:59 PM
S
Scouser Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Thanks so much for the info. I didn't know John Deere stores sold maize and stuff!

Anyway, I'm definitely going to be up for a session, but am letting Christmas come and go while my wife and I get settled in here before I start deserting her for the call of the carp! My fishing time has been zero lately too and I'm just itching to get out and fish. And yeah, while I'm looking forward to fishing Town Lake, Lake Austin, Emma etc, if there are local lakes that hold bigger fish than the norm, I'm definitely up for it. I'll IM you when I'm up and running and ready for a session.

Now I'm off to get some maize and method mix ingredients, and will be doing a batch of boilies this weekend!

Thanks again,
Tony

Re: New in Town [Re: Scouser] #2907577 12/11/08 03:18 PM
R
Rich Somerville Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Tony, If you have a drivers license you should be able to get a license.

Unfortunately for you Town lake does not appear to be the lake that it once was,but still one of the best lakes in the state and has produced mirrors to mid 30's

Have you made contact with, Al Stsyr, Leonard Geddes and Keith Melrose.

The whole CAG Cally thing was plain stupid. I don't agree with CAG on lots of things, but in all reality its all we have.

I'm also a Brit, from the Lincs, Nottingham, Leicestershire area.

If you need any more help shoot me a pm.

Richard

Re: New in Town [Re: Rich Somerville] #2907916 12/11/08 05:23 PM
B
badchade Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Tony, Welcome to Texas!

You are really close to some places that I hold close to my heart. Get down to Emma and LadyBird and let us know how you do.

As far as CAG Cali goes...Well, you're in Texas now. Our focus here is really just to get out and get on some fish wth your buddies. In Texas, CAG has worked with TPWD to get LadyBird listed and managed as a Trophy Carp Lake, and we host the Austin Team Championship down there in March. If you have any CAG questions, just PM me.

Good Luck down there!

Chad

Lone Star Carp Brigade Boilie Rolling Team

PB Common Carp: 39# 6oz
PB Smallmouth Buffalo: 45# 0oz
PB White Amur(Grass Carp): 41# 1oz
Re: New in Town [Re: badchade] #2908035 12/11/08 05:47 PM
S
Scouser Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Thanks for all the offers of help, guys. I haven't made contact with anyone yet but plan to (hopefully) get more involved locally and meet up with everyone as I go.

Richard, I'll just get my drivers license and see what they say when I get my fishing license.

Chad, thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be in a state with a functional CAG faction. I promised I'd re-join as soon as I got out of Cali.

Thanks again everyone.

Tony

Re: New in Town [Re: Scouser] #2908087 12/11/08 06:08 PM
R
Rich Somerville Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Scouser
Thanks for all the offers of help, guys. I haven't made contact with anyone yet but plan to (hopefully) get more involved locally and meet up with everyone as I go.

Richard, I'll just get my drivers license and see what they say when I get my fishing license.

Chad, thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be in a state with a functional CAG faction. I promised I'd re-join as soon as I got out of Cali.

Thanks again everyone.

Tony

Leonard, is a Canadian out of Cali.

You have lots of options in the area.

Good luck

Last edited by cubfan; 12/11/08 06:10 PM.
Re: New in Town [Re: Rich Somerville] #2908432 12/11/08 07:48 PM
S
ScottEvil Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
welcome mate

Bowfishing sucks
Re: New in Town [Re: ScottEvil] #2908631 12/11/08 09:10 PM
B
Big Ted Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
welcome

PB Common Carp....... 38 lbs
PB Mirror Carp........12 lbs 8 oz
PB SM Buffalo........ 53 lbs
PB Grasser........... 48 lbs 4 oz
PB Blue cat.......... 17 lbs (caught on maize)

Phil 4:13
Re: New in Town [Re: Big Ted] #2909356 12/12/08 01:38 AM
S
Scouser Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Re: New in Town [Re: Scouser] #2909609 12/12/08 07:02 AM
T
Texasenglishman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Welcome mate

My PB Lilly Louise Robinson 8lb 7oz
My New PB Daisy Grace Robinson 10lb 3oz

"I like dem stands ya got for ya fancy rods."
"Where you get dem stands?"
Re: New in Town [Re: Texasenglishman] #2910256 12/12/08 12:31 PM
E
El Guahpo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Welcome!

Buffalo Opal Bar By
Theodore Kelm
Re: New in Town [Re: Scouser] #2911523 12/12/08 09:25 PM
Starless Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Welcome to Texas, glad to have you!

It seems like most of your questions have already been answered. Basically, any feed store, or place like Tractor Supply Co should have you covered on range cubes, maize, etc etc.

As already said, quite a few mirrors in both Town, and Emma.

I've personally had two different fully scaled mirrors caught from Emma, one of which has since been re-captured. And a more traditional and beautiful mirror carp was recently captured for the second time as well.

A lot of us are down there fairly often, you should try and hook up with us on the bank one of these days!

The Harder the Fight, the Better the Fish.

www.TXfishes.com - Texas Multi-Species Angling ( Multi-Species Tournament: Sign up now! )

www.atdot.com Now featuring fantastic photography.

www.dfwhops.com ( All your DFW Beer news and info in one spot! )
Re: New in Town [Re: Starless] #2912298 12/13/08 10:09 AM
P
phatpipes Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Scoucer.....I spent a few afternoons on Town back in September on hols from the UK. I hooked up with Krista (fishlady) and Jason they put me on the bait and the fish. I had over 20 carp to about 25+lb, try the Dam end of Town lake, it was a take a cast almost, wonderful hard fighting commons You lucky guy!!

Keep Catching, Keep Riding, Keep Trying
Re: New in Town [Re: Scouser] #2922541 12/16/08 08:56 PM
W
welshphill Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
Hi Tony
Can't help at all as I just arrived in October. I got an Arkansas residents licence straight away for $23, all I needed was my SS number and a AR address.

It's good to know that there are other expats over here... a Scouser eh.. all right there la!..well, we must have been practically neighbours at some point. I used to spend many happy hours on the Leeds Livvy when it was full of tench.. it certainly is not now. I also lost a few pole sections to the scallys having poked them through hedges.

I'm from Wrexham but spent a lot of time over on Merseyside, I was a member of The BICC club, we got to fish Halsnead quite a bit in the 80's.. happy days.

My real love is rivers, having been brought up on The Dee. Until I came here I would spend my summers Barbel fishing on the Middle Severn and all my winters at Shrewsbury.. this is making me cry.. that river is solid..

Anytime to you want a chat etc..

Phill

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide