Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Unconventional fishing methods... #23831 04/17/05 05:25 PM
redfin Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
OK, I painted myself into a corner on a thread in the Bass Fishing section so now I have to explain myself. In short, I made a comment about how fishermen lock themselves into a fishing mode during tournaments because thats how we were taught (and read about) to catch bass. I noted that it was the fishermen who use unconventional methods that are able to put fish in the boat at tournament time, especially when its on a lake that gets a lot of bass fishing pressure.

Some of you bassers may well not visit the other threads here. Youre missing out on a lot of simple clues for changing techniques when the fish call for it. Crappie fishermen are forever catching good tournament type bass out from under docks while fishing for crappie with small crappie jigs. Its a simple task to keep one rod/reel in the boat with you that will allow you to go to this technique when its demanded. Well, here goes:

Scaling down your tackle means exactly that. Big baits dont necessarily mean big fish. Pictured are two jigs.

Both are 1/8 oz. The one on the right is the conventional crappie jig with a #4 hook. The one on the left is a striper jig, made to be used under a float in the river below Texoma Dam for example. Note the hook size AND type on it. It is the same weight as the crappie jig but it is a much bigger target. A bigger target for the bass while the head weight still allows it to be shot under a dock. This would require using spinning gear, preferably a rod with some backbone but which can still be flexed when it is loaded and line made for bringing bass out from under docks. Im thinking the braided type of lines with 12-15 lb. test and 4-6 lb. diameter. The line should be very visible (yellow/chartreuse) so you can detect a hit before the jig hits bottom.

Grip the jig head with the thumb and index finger as the picture shows.

Open the bail and use the index finger of your other hand to pinch the line. Point the rod tip toward the area under the dock where you want the jig to land, load (flex) the rod tip by pulling the jig back towards you, then releasing the jig and then the line.

Practice this in your back yard. Get proficient at being able to get a jig 12-18 feet back under a dock with as little as 12 of clearance between the dock and the water.

I'm also talking about having the audacity to put your boat over a deep brush pile and dropping that same jig down on top of it and vertical jigging as you would for crappie (for example, the current state record bass caught from Fork - 18.18 - on a vertically fished minnow). It's all about adapting when other more preferred methods aren't working. This is just one example of adaptation. It's OK to color outside the lines, folks. laugh

Just a simple method that allows you to adapt when the fish may want something different. If I'm completely off base here, then tell me so and we'll continue on our separate ways. But from looking at all the pictures of crappie fishers catching some good bass while catching crappie, just maybe there's something to unconventionalism.

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23832 04/17/05 05:38 PM
J
JSL Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
redfin thanks for the info.it looks easier than trying to skip a bait that far in.Will try it out after a little practice.THANKS AGAIN I color all over the page

Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23833 04/17/05 05:47 PM
CB327 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Hey redfin,

I heard that you hunt yard rats with this same intensity. Does your better half know you are sneaking around shooting things in the yard. laugh laugh laugh laugh

Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff.
Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23834 04/17/05 10:14 PM
redfin Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
CB327

Yep, she knows....she knows if she says anything, anything at all, she'll be cleaning them up and fixing them for supper for me... laugh laugh

And if I catch that neighbor kitty kat p*ssing in my boat again, the only stink it'll be able to raise after I get done with it is from it's shot, rotting carcass...

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23835 04/17/05 10:28 PM
THE_COACH Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Interesting point of view. As my pard and I have gotten a boat and fished more, we sure have started to use different techniques to get fish on.

Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23836 04/18/05 03:38 AM
H
hookset Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
hey redfin,

i always like learning new techniques.

great photos too...

they really helped...

hookset

Hooksets are free, use as many as you like.
Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23837 04/18/05 05:50 AM
L
Lovfldx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Whoa redfin! I LOVE YOUR STYLE!!

I am one of those that bass fishermen tell to fish a plastic worm slower(as i unhook another bucketmouth, while they are scrambling to catch up).

Crappie fishermen tell to use painted jig heads, and to let the bobber sit still instead of twitch;insist i use hi viz line shooting docks, and for Goodness sake's, let that jig sit awhile instead of that infernal "electric slide" technique of mine,(as i am starting on stringer #2 because stringer #1 is at capacity); and all fishermen tell me that there is another more versatile lure for fish than a roostertail(while i am cleaning their proverbial clock with only one lure-the roostertail!)

Why not "fish outside the box"?

Oh, and my favorite, as they are staring at my stringer or looking at pictures, "I KNOW

GO FIND YA SOME!

Rudy

Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23838 04/18/05 05:55 AM
L
Lovfldx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
As I started to say, "I KNOW you DID NOT catch all those crappie in the middle of that current!(as they are standing with me next to a raging torrent of a creek, river or spillway,or looking at the picture of said raging torrent, where there is no calm water in sight!)

Gotta Luv It!

Rudy

Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23839 04/18/05 12:36 PM
R
Ranger393V Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Nice report and pitures of that techniques. I will give it a try after I get it down. Thanks

Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23840 04/20/05 10:41 PM
G
gregorkhan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Where is the closest emergency room to Lake Fork. I see a deeply embedded hook in my future.
rolleyes

G Hupf
McKinney, TX
Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23841 04/21/05 02:12 AM
slabnshad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Always called that the bow and arrow cast, but I
guess you may be right you are shooting.
And for you guys using two jigs at the same time
pinch the bottom one not the top. laugh laugh laugh

Dennis
Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23842 04/21/05 04:40 AM
Bazztex Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
_Hey Redfin: Good One! Exactly what Size Hook and Color is best for Wood Rats? wink

_Slab'n Shad : Now that's Good Advice! eek

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bazztex<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23843 04/21/05 06:16 AM
ksutton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have one thing to add to Redfin. He's right on the mark but this is in response to gregorkhan.

When you first start practicing the dock flipping technique use either a practice plug or a jig with the hook cut off. Once you start getting good at it then go back to the hook. I learned this from experience, the hard way. mad

Kevin

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23844 04/21/05 01:23 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Redfin,
I thought about the very same thing last week when I was fishing Livingston. I was wishing I had brought my ultralight and a few crappie jigs with me for that very reason. I never thought about the striper jig, but again, that's a great idea. From now on I'm just going to leave the ultralight in the boat and I'm going to pick up a few of those stiper jigs.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: Unconventional fishing methods... #23845 04/21/05 02:49 PM
M
mofish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
It works many bass have fallen to this trick. Thanks redfin for the instructions. Many a nice keeper fell for it on Tues when I was out "crappie fishing" I read your post a week or so ago saying you were going to put this up so I just went out and did it. Getting pretty good at it now. Wish I would of had the camera with me to show how well it worked. Not only did I catch a bunch of bass but also a 9.92 catfish on the same "crappie jig" lol.

mofish

Conley Staley
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide