Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Why catch and release. [Re: sac-a-lait me] #2289534 05/21/08 10:18 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Originally Posted By: sac-a-lait me
This is a fairly odd thread especially from most of the guides harping on catch and release then taking seasons full of customers out on the lake harvesting thousands of fish annually.

Sure you guides should practice catch and release if you didn't you're spots would suck for your customers and you would have a garage full of fish. This thread would almost make an occasional fisherman think he was doing something wrong by keeping a bag limit.

naa, I don't think that was the intent... cheers

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Why catch and release. [Re: TreeBass] #2289626 05/21/08 10:48 PM
T
Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
More thoughts:

Go read the news paper reports/clippings from the fishing results/reports at the old Tarpon Inn in Port Aransas from back in the 30's and the 40's. It was staggering what they caught (and what is so bad, what they kept).

It is not like that today (not even close) due to the fishing pressure and what people will keep.

In just less than 70 years we (man) has taken most of the oil reserves from out of this earth, what has taken millions and millions of years to create, (and Gas going in my life time from 17 cents a gallon to now almost $4 per gallon).

We do not have unlimited resources, even with our fish.

If you can adapt, Catch and Release is good for the Sport of Fishing.

Last edited by Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker; 05/22/08 07:23 PM.
Re: Why catch and release. [Re: MUD-DABBER] #2289653 05/21/08 10:59 PM
E
El_Tortuga Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I strongly urge every one of you to "catch and release". leaves more keepers for me. smile

Re: Why catch and release. [Re: TreeBass] #2289658 05/21/08 11:00 PM
Guide Chuck Rollins Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
treebass - your right, that wasnt the intent.
Of course I recommend catch & release, every sportsman should. I want my kids & grand kids to experience the best fishing and hunting as possible. History tells us that setting limits and guidelines on fishing & hunting is a necessity. There are too many people that will take advantage of a good situation. Although most big Texas lakes have millions of fish in it, that doesnt mean there population cant be hurt.
What Ernest & many others are referring to are the folks that fish often and keep fish despite there want for the meat. If you love to catch fish why would you not advocate catch and release?

www.BigCrappie.com
www.DallasFishingCharters.com
Fishing Guide & Instruction Service
Cedar Creek Lake
903-288-5798
24ft Skeeter Bay
24ft Skeeter Bay
24ft Skeeter Bay
24ft Sea Pro
18ft Lund Deep V
18ft Grizzly creek boat
Re: Why catch and release. [Re: Guide Chuck Rollins] #2289695 05/21/08 11:11 PM
J
JayDon Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I'm one of the really lucky fellers that gets to fish alot and have a good lake in my backyard, so I keep a few if I want fish for dinner that night---and the rest go back. I'll fillet and bag up some sandies for some buddies now and then, but that's it. If I'm not eating fish that night, they go back.

My opinion on what other folks should do with their fish? Anything the law allows, just don't be wasteful.

NATIONAL OVARIAN CANCER COALITION
Team Reeve is fishing to bring awareness to ovarian cancer. This is a silent killer and everyone needs to know that a woman's yearly exam does not diagnose this cancer. If you feel like helping this cause contact me or give to the NOCC/Team Reeve. Also contact me with questions on symptoms!
Re: Why catch and release. [Re: Ratmo ] #2289738 05/21/08 11:23 PM
B
Big_CatEM Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Think some of you fellas are taking this thread the wrong way. I don't think it was a harp on folks keeping fish, having crappie filet gatherings, or any of that stuff.

All Ernest was saying is that if you got the filets you need for you sustanance (and the occasional get-together fish fry w/friends), then why not throw some back from time to time, even if they're keepers?

We all know the TP&W have things (fisheries) well under control and what each person does with their legal harvest is their own biz, but if you're just keeping them for the sake of fileting them and having them sit in your freezer for months and get old, then what the heck is the point?

Noone is saying anyone should "do this" or "do that" or be looked upon negatively.

Eric
--------------------------------------------------
"Fishing is to work, what aspirin is to headaches"
'Fighting Texas Aggies Class of 93'
Wanna-be senior meteorologist for the NWS in Fort Worth
Re: Why catch and release. [Re: JayDon] #2289791 05/21/08 11:31 PM
C
CrappieMaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
It's hard to tell customers to throw fish back. I keep a lot of fish myself like some have said they're the best tasting fish on the planet. On some lakes I think over fishing may be a problem but TPWD knows what they're doing plus there are other factors involved such as fertility. I believe that there is a more serious problem with some people keeping EVERYTHING THAT THEY CATCH. I've seen it first hand and have heard many stories of other people seeing it take place. I believe this hurts the lake more than keeping the fish that the law allows. Last but not least if you don't keep them the next guy will and with all the new sonors out there don't think for a minute that your spots are a secret anymore!
GoodLuck
CrappieMaster

On The Spot Guide Service
"Catchin' Crappie Year Round"
682-225-7676
www.onthespotwithscott.com
www.TheFishTaco.com

Re: Why catch and release. [Re: Guide Chuck Rollins] #2289794 05/21/08 11:32 PM
S
sac-a-lait me Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I agree that fishing is not what it could be if unpressured, but isn't your profession at the forefront of the reason why fisheries may be suffering?

Am I not a "sportsman" if I don't practice catch and release with legal fish? Since when is following bag and size limits not conducting myself as a sportsman? I too want to take my boy out for a good day of hunting/fishing when I have time.

I know you probably didn't mean it like that but dang man you guys need to realize that you make your living harvesting more fish than 20 normal posters on this forum then you want everyone to practice catch and release to maintain a healthy fish population? I need to get my waders out for this thread.

sorry if I'm a little cranky it's been a long week thank God it's a 3 day weekend so everyone remember to be safe out on the water.....

Last edited by sac-a-lait me; 05/21/08 11:36 PM.

fishing without beer is like,.umm...hunting without beer!
Re: Why catch and release. [Re: sac-a-lait me] #2289833 05/21/08 11:40 PM
B
Big_CatEM Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Sac,

You're a good guy and I know that. Heck, I'm going to my buddy (Cajun as I call him, since he's from Mettarrie (sp?)) in July to be a godfather to his 6th child (a son).

You worked hard to almost get us on some slips on EM last year, and I did the same this year and totally get the feel of what your thoughts are toward those who are more fortunate to get out and fish than some of the rest of us.

You ever want to come out as a guest to our EM slips, just holler at me, you're always welcome. That's goes for the rest of my friends on here (not all the time, but can from time to time, especially during the week when it's real slow out there). Scott, CV, whomever.

Eric
--------------------------------------------------
"Fishing is to work, what aspirin is to headaches"
'Fighting Texas Aggies Class of 93'
Wanna-be senior meteorologist for the NWS in Fort Worth
Re: Why catch and release. [Re: Big_CatEM] #2289908 05/21/08 11:56 PM
C
cajundave Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
popcorn2

That's why they call it fishing and not catching!

Re: Why catch and release. [Re: cajundave] #2290220 05/22/08 01:22 AM
ERNEST PATY Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
I'm not a guide and I'm not telling anyone what to do with their fish. I just thought the figures were interesting.

As long as it's legal I don't care what you do with your fish, I was just pointing out what throwing one back now and then would do.

Next time I find something interesting I'll just tell my wife, at least her hoe is firmly attached to the handle.

de

Ernest Paty 214-202-7866
catchcrappie@aol.com

Re: Why catch and release. [Re: ERNEST PATY] #2290248 05/22/08 01:38 AM
SLABXPRESS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
"Next time I find something interesting I'll just tell my wife, at least her hoe is firmly attached to the handle."

rolfmao rolfmao rolfmao

That's funny right there!

Ernest, don't stop putting these post up. Some us simply read what you post, get it, and enjoy it. Others obviously read "into it" what they want.

Re: Why catch and release. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #2290289 05/22/08 01:58 AM
S
sac-a-lait me Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Ernest, all my gardening equipment is broken not just my hoes. Wasn't trying to bash your post up or any of the guides I just got a little irritated it was turning into a "holier than thou art" thread so next time I'm in the gardening section at Ace Hardware I'll remember to buy some extra screws in case my head flies off the handle again.

fishing without beer is like,.umm...hunting without beer!
Re: Why catch and release. [Re: Bottom_Bouncer] #2290303 05/22/08 02:07 AM
G
Guide: Cliff_S Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Bouncer
Originally Posted By: hook-line&sinker
IMHO it is almost impossible to legally fish out crappie populations in large lakes where they are firmly established.

I agree...I have seen my father-in-law clean every crappie caught out of a large watershed over a six year period to the point I was feeling guilty about it. When I asked him about it he said "more crappie die from old age than are caught." I thought surely we would see a demise in the population but the population has not been hurt a bit. Based on this, I don't think you could hurt a lake population. At least by legal means.

Also, the catch and release mentality has has hurt some bass fisheries and biologist are starting to encourage the harvest of bass to help improve the fishery.

I think a lot depends on the body of water and bait fish available. There is nothing wrong with catch and release but as long as state laws are followed the fishery should be able to sustain the harvest.

The spring might be the best time to release some fish to get a good spawn but don't just release the females let some males go too because they protect the nest.

Remember hunters and fisherman were the first conservationist. If fish populations were on the verge of a downturn we would be the first to come to the rescue.

Myself sometimes I clean them all and sometimes I release them all. Especially when I go fish after work and don't won't to mess with cleaning them.

Well put Wes. Catch and release is good to a point but a large amount of crappie do need to be harvested to help the quility and population of the fish. Wes is right according to TP&W biologest catch and release was needed for bass at the time it was started but now it is hurting the fisheries because not enough bass are being harvested. The crappie population is very strong on most of our Texas lakes and has been for as long as I can remember. Don't get me wrong I release a lot of keepers myself. And think it is good thing to do to a point. TP&W run many test on our waters to check how the fisheries are doing and I do feel that if a lack of crappie were being noticed they would take the proper steps to change it. To me it is a personal choice and you are doing the right thing which ever way you choose.

Email:cliffspindle@yahoo.com or call 940-727-3493
http://www.spindleguideservice.com Web Site
www.thumpitjigs.com Pro Staff
www.BeeReadys.com Pro Staff
LUND BOATS, MR. CRAPPIE, LEWS, FISH & SKI MARINE

Re: Why catch and release. [Re: Guide: Cliff_S] #2290695 05/22/08 09:09 AM
J
Jeff Schiller Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
J
I don't think anyone is saying that there is a right way or wrong way to do what you want to do with your fish. I know that is definitely not what I'm saying.

The numbers though, are interesting.

I figure it this way too. I know that on every trip, I hook at least one fish that gets almost to the boat and then ejects the jig. That fish goes back down to home and I probably don't hook him again.

That's my 1 fish left for the day.

Yep. That's me. Always helping continue the crappie population. grin

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide