Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Some guides need to give us a break! #2118944 03/29/08 08:16 PM
J
JackMason Online Happy OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
J
First, let me say that there are some great guides on this Forum that offer a ton of helpful information and sometimes beyond that. I've enjoyed very successful trips due to their reports and tips and I appreciate them very much. My rant is for the guides that don't give a "flip" about other fisherman on the water. My most recent encounter was on Texoma. After a tough season so far I finally was able to get on to some solid fish while fishing with my two sons. My kids are just geting into fishing and we were wearing them out working birds and aggressive chunky stripers for about 20min. It didn't take long before other boats saw the action and within 2 minutes I had two guide boats on the action. What's got me so upset is these guides didn't show any consideration to where we were and our fishing experience. They just motored up right into the middle of the action, dropped their lines and picked up a few fish while deminishing our catch. All bird activity ceased and all suface and feeding signs disappeared. The guides took off as fast as the fish stopped feeding. We worked the area for about 15 mins and picked up 1 more. 30 mins prior...before the guides dropped in on us we were having triples almost every other cast.
My kids were having a blast and falling love with the sport just as I did with my dad years ago. Ok, this is just one experience, but I've had this happen many times on Texoma and it's really getting me ticked off. Yes, I know that the fish are still there even if the birds are gone...they are spooked and the bite definitely slows. I've seen happen too many times for anyone to tell me different. I do know that the next time it happens they will know exactly how I feel about it. As I stated in the beginning, I love the good guides and this rant has nothing to do with them. I will always sing them praises. This is only for the "arse wipes" that think they own the lakes.

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: JackMason] #2118954 03/29/08 08:23 PM
B
bernie249 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
It's ALWAYS Texoma. Trust me, pal....I feel your pain.

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: bernie249] #2119013 03/29/08 09:01 PM
B
Bluwave Mike Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: bernie249
It's ALWAYS Texoma. Trust me, pal....I feel your pain.

Hear that!

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: bernie249] #2119016 03/29/08 09:02 PM
91cajun Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Rule of thumb. Once on the fish, keep the poles low and minimize the show. You can extend the life of your catch. It is frustrating when people use the big motor and drive the fish down. I've had pretty good success with my kids and teaching them how to bring the fish in. popcorn

91 Cajun, Johnson 115
Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: 91cajun] #2119086 03/29/08 09:36 PM
fastguy� Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Smack those kids around and make them keep quiet, boltthe sounds of kids having a good time is a dead give away to those who can't find fish on their own. laugh
It isn't always Texoma.

It ain't easy making it look easy.

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: fastguy�] #2119167 03/29/08 10:16 PM
D
deckhand* Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: fastguy
Smack those kids around and make them keep quiet, boltthe sounds of kids having a good time is a dead give away to those who can't find fish on their own. laugh
It isn't always Texoma.
It happens on every lake bang . I know what you are talking about. I have saw a guide get upset when we motored into the general area (not even on top of him) he was in, and then watched him motor in on another spot to other fisherman.

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: deckhand*] #2119496 03/30/08 12:13 AM
C
chrisc/striper express guide service Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
birds working...it's a love/hate thing lol. why i love structure fishing and not school fishing. also why i love dec-april winter jig fishing.i try most of the year or better yet anytime i can i fish that way...points,drops,ledges,humps and on and on...also people we take out for the most part are serious about fishing. i would tell you to look thru the paid to produce guides eyes but it still sucks when they kill the bite. also i have been run up on every lake i've fished. texoma is just huge with lots of traffic at times. more boats=more probs! i just wish it was pilgrims and not guides that got you guys.

Last edited by chrisc; 03/30/08 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Lake Texoma Striper Guide Chris Carey

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: JackMason] #2119504 03/30/08 12:17 AM
C
Cast Net Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: jackmason
This is only for the "arse wipes" that think they own the lakes.

Next time, put some buoys out so everyone knows that is your little part of the lake so they can stay out of it. Your attitude and their actions are mirror images. 'I found these fish, go somewhere else and find your own' It happens on every lake, every day, to everyone.

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: chrisc/striper express guide service] #2119505 03/30/08 12:17 AM
C
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
also can you imagine the gazillion times it has happened to me in 14 plus years? us guides know how it feels trust me. how do i get those icons in my text? not to change your thread...someone pm me?

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: chrisc/striper express guide service] #2119838 03/30/08 02:02 AM
J
JackMason Online Happy OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
J
Cast Net,

Never implied that I own the spot. I would gladly share.The point that I'm trying to make is that we all need to be more considerate of our fellow fisherman. An experienced fisher knows the right and wrong way to approach a school while other boats are there.
If anything, I hope this rant will increase the awareness of an obvious problem that we all experience. Let's all try to be a bit more respectful and considerate to each other. We can share and have fun doing it.

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: JackMason] #2120131 03/30/08 10:17 AM
C
Cast Net Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: jackmason
Cast Net,
If anything, I hope this rant will increase the awareness of an obvious problem that we all experience. Let's all try to be a bit more respectful and considerate to each other. We can share and have fun doing it.

Not in our lifetime or our children's children's lifetime. I can't tell you the number of times this has happened to me and the numerous times I have been waked by other boats presumably because I was fishing on or near their spot. I had a well know Falcon challenge me at Preston Point by coming at my midships at WOT only too turn at the last few moments. After the third time by the same boat the next time I see them on the lake, I show them the same consideration they have shown me.

Ignore it. Texoma is a 90,000 acre lake. Do what I do. Go somewhere else where there isn't a bunch of bozos competing for the same one fish. You will be happier.

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: JackMason] #2120134 03/30/08 10:18 AM
N
NRGNXS Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Not that I think it was funny what went down, *Pun* but that is an issue that you have to decide how to handle. It is not just guides that show lack of respect and it certainly is not confined to a single body of water. If the birds are working I like XYZ's method of retailiation for the crackers. Gets them every time and gives you something to laff harder at than their decision to put money in front of dignity and respect. A crushed zip lock of cracker crumbs on top of the water is cery irrisistable to those avian bait snatchers. We choose to make incidents big or small, don't let someones actions ruin that fun outing you shared with your kids. My fishing partner is due back from Iraq in a few weeks and he and I will not let something like that get into the way of our time together. Those times get fewer and farther between faster than you know. Best of Luck Jack.

"It's All Good!"
Kevin
Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: NRGNXS] #2120145 03/30/08 10:29 AM
C
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
small pellet dog food works better...harder for the fisherpeople to see...hides in the water better and the birds go crazy on it.

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: chrisc/striper express guide service] #2120153 03/30/08 10:36 AM
N
NRGNXS Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Quote:
small pellet dog food works better...harder for the fisherpeople to see...hides in the water better and the birds go crazy on it.

Why give kitty fishermen an advantage? eeks Just kidding. rolfmao

Re: Some guides need to give us a break! [Re: NRGNXS] #2120272 03/30/08 12:05 PM
B
bernie249 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Yea, Texoma is a 90,000 acre lake. But honestly, how much of that gets used by striper fisherman. Anyone who fishes the lake knows the "regular spots". Take those "regular spots" and divide that by the 1000 some odd guides on that lake and its gonna get crowded. Cast Net was right by saying people being respectful wont happen in any of our lifetime. All that we can do is teach our kids the RIGHT way to fish and hope they get something out of it. Nobody wants their kids to be the subject of these kinds of threads. It's gonna happen on every lake, but what I meant by "It's always Texoma" is that it just seems to happen more there just because of the sheer number of guides on that lake. There ya go. No charge.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide