Forums59
Topics1,039,741
Posts13,969,681
Members144,217
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: fishlady] #2112583 03/27/08 01:33 PM
LoneStarCarper Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
yeah jasson is doing great

State Certified Piscatologist

Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: LoneStarCarper] #2112587 03/27/08 01:34 PM
B
Big Buffalo Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
gosh....i missed jason, it stopped playing and i didn't realize lol...

Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken. ~Psalm 55:22
Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: Big Buffalo] #2112594 03/27/08 01:37 PM
F
fwbret/txfishes Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Jason has it best so far.

He reminded them of their bottom line. Right now bass are money, but there is a lot of money in carp, just waiting for Texas to grab it.

Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: fwbret/txfishes] #2112626 03/27/08 01:49 PM
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
I think scott had the best...sorry..

pretty sure they just lost the right to shoot catfish!!??

Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: LoneStarCarper] #2112631 03/27/08 01:51 PM
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
That is true jason had the money angle....everyone has pretty muched owned

Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: LoneStarCarper] #2112749 03/27/08 02:22 PM
B
badchade Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Could y'all hear me coughin the whole time? lol

I was shaking BAD when I was speaking... I'm so bad...lol

My voice is off because I am really sick right now.

Chad

Lone Star Carp Brigade Boilie Rolling Team

PB Common Carp: 39# 6oz
PB Smallmouth Buffalo: 45# 0oz
PB White Amur(Grass Carp): 41# 1oz
Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: badchade] #2112777 03/27/08 02:32 PM
C
ChaosNoise Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Sincere congratulations to everyone involved! There was a lot of time and effort put into this by a large number of LSCB'ers and CAG people. You should all be very proud of yourselves. Great job, savor the victory! Well done.

Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: badchade] #2112794 03/27/08 02:36 PM
B
badchade Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Bowhunting for Cats proposal was not renewed.

Chad

Lone Star Carp Brigade Boilie Rolling Team

PB Common Carp: 39# 6oz
PB Smallmouth Buffalo: 45# 0oz
PB White Amur(Grass Carp): 41# 1oz
Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: ChaosNoise] #2112802 03/27/08 02:38 PM
T
TEXAS TWO GUNS Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
It'll be interesting to see how much more money is gained from overseas. In my understanding, the carp angling over there is because it is mostly the only fish legal to fish for. Also it is a known fact that most Europeans travel out of country for vacation anyway, but what percentage of that travel is to the USA.
Just curious.
I do have to commend yall as a group. The bowfishers truly dropped the ball on this, myself included. I heard 4 carp anglers speak in liue of 1 bowfisherman. Damn gas prices kept me from being there today or it would have been 2 bowfishers. Again, good job carp anglers, let us hope that this ruling will not be detrimental to Lady Bird Lake.

Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: TEXAS TWO GUNS] #2112832 03/27/08 02:48 PM
E
El Guahpo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: TEXAS TWO GUNS
In my understanding, the carp angling over there is because it is mostly the only fish legal to fish for.

Wrong. There are plenty of legal fish to go for in Europe.

England's Fishing Regulations

Buffalo Opal Bar By
Theodore Kelm
Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: TEXAS TWO GUNS] #2113273 03/27/08 04:47 PM
C
ChaosNoise Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
In my understanding, the carp angling over there is because it is mostly the only fish legal to fish for...

let us hope that this ruling will not be detrimental to Lady Bird Lake.

In point of fact, carp fishing is proabably the single most popular freshwater fishing in the world, with the only exception being here in the USA. Carp are globally held in the highest esteem, mainly because of their fight and strength. Carp fishing has accurately been referred to as the "Soccer of the Fishing World" since like soccer, it is huge everywhere but here. It is made huge by the angler's own choice, not by any form of necessity.

As far as the decision having an adverse effect on the lake, that doesn't seem very likely to me. The big carp have been in there for a long time. Lakes like Fork hold large numbers of huge carp and there doesn't seem to have been too much adverse effect from it there.

Further, carp have been in Texas waters for over a hundred years. The first fish hatchery in Texas, was in fact a CARP hatchery. Ironically, it was in Barton Springs in Austin near what is now Lady Bird Lake. If these fish were going to mess things up in any way, you would have seen the impact long before now. Instead, the vast majority of all of our lakes are doing extremely well, including their carp populations. Seeing an impact from only taking one fish over 33" a day from this lake, seems like a real stretch to me.

...Hope this is taken in the light in which it was intended; simply another opinion; no condescension involved.

By the way, your congratulatory comments were well put and spoken like a true gentlemen.

Last edited by ChaosNoise; 03/27/08 07:38 PM. Reason: corrected Town Lake to Lady Bird Lake
Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: ChaosNoise] #2113897 03/27/08 07:18 PM
T
TEXAS TWO GUNS Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Look I got no problem with your fishing, matter of fact since yall like putting rods out and then hanging around waiting for one to go off, you should really enjoy surf fishing. Especially in Aug and Sept. when the big bull reds run. Put your rods out, watch them dance with the surge and either throw horseshoes all day or sit around a big driftwood fire passing the bottle or whatever you like to pass. That's the kind of bank fishing I grew up doing (minus the bottle of course). You guys know my beef with this sanctuary and it truly is about the foreigners keeping and eating all the carp versus bowfishing (like I've been told) then you'll have no problems with me.

Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: TEXAS TWO GUNS] #2113905 03/27/08 07:20 PM
T
TEXAS TWO GUNS Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
It's true lakes like Fork and others don't seem to have any adverse effects, but if there wasn't any carp do you think the water would be a little clearer? Just a thought.

Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: TEXAS TWO GUNS] #2113969 03/27/08 07:37 PM
E
El Guahpo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
It's true lakes like Fork and others don't seem to have any adverse effects, but if there wasn't any carp do you think the water would be a little clearer? Just a thought.

Probably so... But the the record bass from Fork would not have the fat and nutrient rich baby carp to prey on...

Even Carp Busters promote the use of Carp to feed other animals (it's on their front page!!!)

Point being:
Carp = Great forage for bass

Buffalo Opal Bar By
Theodore Kelm
Re: Listen to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Meetings LIVE [Re: El Guahpo] #2114234 03/27/08 08:40 PM
C
ChaosNoise Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
TTG, surf fishing for Reds is a blast, you are right... done it several times.

As far as water clarity goes, the only real data I've seen on the subject in terms of carp impact, comes from very clear, very cold, often shallow lakes. I'm no scientist, but lakes like that would seem to be more easily impacted by turbitiy issues than naturally stained waters. Reduced sunlight penetration alone could have a serious effect on such a lake, for example.

It seems to me that waters in this state are naturally stained, with or without carp. It appears to be primarily a matter of soil content and mineral composition. They call it the Red River for a really good reason. Changing the balance of the fish population doesn't seem too likely to radically change the suspended mineral composition that it carries. A simple rain storm would certainly have a much more immediate effect.

The vast majority of Texas lakes have visibility levels of only a few feet, even at the surface. It seems a bit of a stretch to think that is caused, or even substantially contributed to by the carp population. If that was the case, then in theory the larger the carp population, the murkier the water would be. That hasn't matched my observations, at all. Some of the clearest lakes I've seen in this state are in east Texas. Guess what? They all have both healthy and large carp populations. It is therefore a little difficult for me to buy to the entire "carp causing turbidity" issue as it relates to the waters of Texas.

Well, this has been fun, Texas Two Guns, but we have probably hijacked this thread long enough. Sorry, I didn't mean to write a novel here.

A bunch of people worked really hard on something they believe in and ended up doing a great job of gettin' 'er done.

Congrats again, everyone.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide