Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Grapevine Today Pretty Good #1680692 10/19/07 08:39 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
I was able to take a much needed day off and fished with Rudy Cortinas in my boat on Grapevine. Beautiful day...kinda chilly this morning but very nice overall. One of those great days of the year to be on the water.

We didn't take pics of very many but here are a few...

We usually don't fish but for a few hours at a time but started but started at 6:30 and fished until about 3:30...we got our money's worth. Caught maybe about 10 or so before lunch mostly in the Scott's Marina area and then had a BBQ and Beer and back to fishing.

It was pretty slow after lunch so we went to the back of Silverlake and they were stacked in there pretty good. Tons of small to medium size LMB mixed with an occasional sandie. We didn't keep count but I would say we probably caught at least 20 each in one pretty small area.

All in all a very nice day...always good when the nothing breaks on the boat and we can catch a few fish.

We'll do it again soon Rudy!

Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: Hard Rain] #1680695 10/19/07 08:43 PM
B
bjfowle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
nice day of fishing.

"What is the most powerful word in the English language? Have you ever thought about it? List some possibilities. Love? Hope ? Vision? Sacrifice? There are many candidates. How about Dad?" Stu Webber: Tender Warrior
Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: bjfowle] #1680714 10/19/07 08:49 PM
F
fishin'aholic Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
wow nice basses lol

Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: fishin'aholic] #1680734 10/19/07 08:55 PM
Brad Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted By: Peytonator
Another reason I enjoy sunnies, they're pretty smile
Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: Brad] #1680862 10/19/07 09:58 PM
Rudy Cortinas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Great trip,Jim's guide service is a great venture for you,I especialy like the way you turned on the fish in Silverlake,now that is some talent!!You are being way to conservative with the numbers we were catching one on every cast for a good hour,I'd say that it was easily 25 each but your right ,whos counting!That brisket sandwich at Big Daddy's really hit the spot,thanks for that and the trip,stil got a smile on my face as I was re-telling the events of the day to the family!

Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: Rudy Cortinas] #1681014 10/19/07 11:39 PM
B
badkarma Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Hey! I was out there today too. Most of the ones I caught were on the small side too. Definitely lots of them out there though. Looks like Grapevine had a good spawn this year...and the higher lake level and extra cover has really helped the numbers.

All the fish I caught were really healthy looking too.

My biggest went about 2 1/2 lbs. and looked like a football.

It also looks like they are moving back into the backs of the coves, as I didn't do well at all off the main lake points.....but maybe I was just on the wrong points! rolfmao

I fished from about 6:30 to 2:30....really stayed out longer than I planned, but it was such a beautiful day that I didn't want to leave.

I don't know about the rest of you...but it seems Grapevine doesn't have a real mid-day bite. I always seem to do well early and late, but they seem to shut off about 10 am. Again...I may just not be doing it right. smile

Anyway....great day on the water and beats the heck out of working!

Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: badkarma] #1681082 10/20/07 12:11 AM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
BK...what kind of boat were you in...mine is a smaller Brown color Skeeter SD80 with a Mariner 75. We probably saw you...maybe anyway...there weren't that many boats on the lake. We launched at Katy Woods...talk about your shallow draft ramp. You have to back in pretty much forever to get the boat off the trailer...lol...

We fished Scotts, Silverlake, and Murrell...just a super nice day on the lake...

Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: Hard Rain] #1681099 10/20/07 12:23 AM
B
badkarma Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Hard Rain
BK...what kind of boat were you in...mine is a smaller Brown color Skeeter SD80 with a Mariner 75. We probably saw you...maybe anyway...there weren't that many boats on the lake. We launched at Katy Woods...talk about your shallow draft ramp. You have to back in pretty much forever to get the boat off the trailer...lol...

We fished Scotts, Silverlake, and Murrell...just a super nice day on the lake...

I didn't make it up as far as Scotts and Silver Lake.....Looks like I should have though! My bite dropped off after 10 AM and I only boated a couple of dinks after that (small dinks smile )

I put in at Meadowmere....the ramp is a little steeper there and I didn't have any trouble. I put in at Dove last week and like to have never got the boat launched....ramp too shallow. I've got a very short trailer, so steeper ramps help me keep my feet dry as well.

I've got an old beat up green Kingfisher. Thing is so narrow it's like a canoe with a motor on it. smile It's not a rough water boat, so I take advantage of low wind days like today. I can get into some really tight spaces though...and my trolling motor will almost get it up on plane. laugh

I started out there in Meadowmere early and never got a bite. Went across to Twin Coves....where I got most of my fish...

Moved out later to the main lake and fished from Twin Coves west toward Marshall creek. I marked a lot of fish...but just couldn't seem to interest them in what I had.

I ran up to Marshall Creek and saw a lot of fish breaking the water...but again...no hits.

Finished up hitting a small pocket on the south side just west of Meadowmere.

The water has muddied quite a bit from last week due to the rain...and the surface temp was down about 4 degrees from last Friday. I don't know how that's affected the bite or movement of the fish. I know that last week, most of the fish I caught were on the main lake points...or close by. Today....most of my bites came from mid-way back in the coves. The key seemed to be rocks and stickups. 4-7 feet deep.

Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: badkarma] #1681119 10/20/07 12:38 AM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
You are correct...the lake was reasonably clear before the last monsoon but really off color now. Yeah...we were definitely feeling the mid day lull and were about ready to pack it in. We were just going thru the motions flipping worms in the marina and getting excited about the bream bites...lol...and decided to fish a little further back in the Silverlake area and then really got into them...really helped made the day.

Funny thing is that is the first time I have ever fished Silverlake. I really like Scotts in the morning but we did not get any bites there after lunch.

Rudy and I have actually been fishing Murrell from the bank for the last 6 weeks or so with the park mostly closed. The bank fishing has been really good. It's been a lot of fun. I think we are lucky to have so much good fishing water available that is so close in Grapevine, Lewisville, and even Joe Pool at times...I hate to trailer very far and prefer local waters and feel fortunate to be only a few minutes from Grapevine.

Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: Hard Rain] #1681169 10/20/07 01:05 AM
B
badkarma Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Last week was the first time I'd been on the lake since June of LAST year. It was so hot last summer and the lake got down so low that I couldn't launch. Then...this spring it filled up so much NOBODY could launch. rolfmao So...like I said...last week was my first time out.

When I was fishing it over a year ago...I had a pretty good pattern going on the north side from Twin Coves going toward Marshall Creek. I caught lots of Spots along that bank...and I had a few spots in Twin Coves itself that almost always produced fish for me. Lots of good crankbait fishing along that bank.

Now it's like I have to learn the lake all over again. I'm not what I would consider a good deep water fisherman. I prefer to fish more shallow. Most of the spots I used to fish are now under about 20-25 feet of water. laugh

Silver Lake definitely has some really good spots in it. There is plenty of cover and good structure in there as well.

When the lake was way down, I was amazed at how little structure there is to the lake. I guess a lot of that is because of silting. No real definition to the bottom....looked like an empty bowl.

With the lake up to normal level now, there are plenty of rocks and with the new growth, we now have more in the way of stickups.

I've got to think that there's going to be some real good fishing there in the coming weeks. I did real well there into November the year before last.

I grew up in this area and used to fish Grapevine 30 years ago. In my opinion, the lake has improved a whole lot since back then. I fished it then because it was close. Getting skunked back then was a regular occurance....and the fish weren't in that great of condition. Now....I do better at Grapevine than I do most any place else I've gone.

Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: badkarma] #1681187 10/20/07 01:14 AM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
The area you mention from Twin Coves west can be very good...caught my biggest LMB from GV year before last on a windy rock point west of Twin on a Buzzbait...about 7 lbs...that was quite enjoyable.

That is an area I really like to fish but have been mostly on the other end lately. I will probably get back to that pattern some once they open the ramps at Murrell...which should be anytime now.

Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: Hard Rain] #1681356 10/20/07 05:08 AM
C
carpedebass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

If It Ain't Broke...Fix It 'Till It Is!
Re: Grapevine Today Pretty Good [Re: badkarma] #1681741 10/20/07 05:18 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
looks like a good trip

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide