Print Thread
Boat Trailer Hub Issues #15139939 07/24/24 03:44 PM
L
LuvWater Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
I purchased a 2020 21Pro Caymas a couple of years ago. A Benchmark trailer is under it. I recently had an issue of the trailer fender well falling on top of my trailer tire and ruining the tire. I thought I must have broken a spring or something. When I took the tire off the whole hub assembly was falling off the axle. Seams the only thing holding the tire assembly is one bolt and nut tight around the axle. Is anybody else having this issue? This type of axle is new to me. Thanks

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: LuvWater] #15139950 07/24/24 03:56 PM
R
Royram Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
picture?

Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: LuvWater] #15139954 07/24/24 04:02 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Sounds like a normal trailer setup. The spindle is possibly trashed, but maybe not. Sounds like you need new races on the spindle, new bearings, and hub. Not that bad of a fix. Make sure the nut that holds everything on is slightly past hand tight( very slightly) then install a stainless cotter pin.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: LuvWater] #15139998 07/24/24 04:44 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by LuvWater
I purchased a 2020 21Pro Caymas a couple of years ago. A Benchmark trailer is under it. I recently had an issue of the trailer fender well falling on top of my trailer tire and ruining the tire. I thought I must have broken a spring or something. When I took the tire off the whole hub assembly was falling off the axle. Seams the only thing holding the tire assembly is one bolt and nut tight around the axle. Is anybody else having this issue? This type of axle is new to me. Thanks

Had the exact same thing happen to my skeeter trailer about a month back. It's a torsion axle and yes the whole spindle arm (tire, wheel, brake, etc) is held on by a splined fitting that is tightened with a bolt and nut. In my case the bolt on the splined attachment really wasn't loose. It had just developed some play over the years because of wear. In other words the bolt that holds the assembly on the axle was as tight as it could get. I had to get my son to bring a welder down and weld the spindle arm onto the axle. My plan was to replace the axle, but I have not done that yet. The way we welded it on it's not going to come off and it works fine. With that said, no trailer place will likely do that for you. The only real fix if the splines are worn is to replace the axle. Most likely you will need a new spindle arm as well.

Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #15140010 07/24/24 04:50 PM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower

Had the exact same thing happen to my skeeter trailer about a month back. It's a torsion axle and yes the whole spindle arm (tire, wheel, brake, etc) is held on by a splined fitting that is tightened with a bolt and nut. In my case the bolt on the splined attachment really wasn't loose. It had just developed some play over the years because of wear. In other words the bolt that holds the assembly on the axle was as tight as it could get. I had to get my son to bring a welder down and weld the spindle arm onto the axle. My plan was to replace the axle, but I have not done that yet. The way we welded it on it's not going to come off and it works fine. With that said, no trailer place will likely do that for you. The only real fix if the splines are worn is to replace the axle. Most likely you will need a new spindle arm as well.
If you welded a torsion axle static you have taken away your spring. I wouldn’t pull it much like that. You will tear something up.

Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: leethefishking] #15140025 07/24/24 05:05 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by leethefishking

If you welded a torsion axle static you have taken away your spring. I wouldn’t pull it much like that. You will tear something up.

No I did not. It is absolutely 100% NOT STATIC. I have a full understanding of how a torsion axle works. I welded the spindle arm onto the torsion axle (by the way many brands of axles come with the torsion arm welded on from the factory) The torsion arm is in the exact same position as before. Just held on by a weld at the end of the spindle instead of the bolt alone.

Last edited by Tx Tree Grower; 07/24/24 05:07 PM.
Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: LuvWater] #15140207 07/24/24 06:45 PM
L
LuvWater Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Thank you guys for the info. I picked up the new assembly today, $650.00, I sure hope the axle spindle is okay. I think I like the old leaf spring system better.

Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: LuvWater] #15140222 07/24/24 06:59 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Thank you guys for the info. I picked up the new assembly today, $650.00, I sure hope the axle spindle is okay. I think I like the old leaf spring system better.

I agree with you 100% on leaf springs being better. At bare minimum they are easier to work on and easier to get parts for. I would suggest that after you put that torsion arm on, get a jack and jack the trailer up from under the the spindle arm. The jack will take the flex out of the torsion axle first, then should be able to jack the trailer off the ground without slipping. If it slips the splines are worn. Better to know in the driveway. It makes for a long weekend when this happens several hours from the house.

Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: SteezMacQueen] #15140231 07/24/24 07:02 PM
S
SC-001 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Sounds like a normal trailer setup. The spindle is possibly trashed, but maybe not. Sounds like you need new races on the spindle, new bearings, and hub. Not that bad of a fix. Make sure the nut that holds everything on is slightly past hand tight( very slightly) then install a stainless cotter pin.

X2 you probably trashed your spindle, if you can't repair it with speedy sleeve time to pay for a new axel scared

Last edited by SC-001; 07/24/24 07:05 PM.
Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #15140330 07/24/24 08:35 PM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by leethefishking

No I did not. It is absolutely 100% NOT STATIC. I have a full understanding of how a torsion axle works. I welded the spindle arm onto the torsion axle (by the way many brands of axles come with the torsion arm welded on from the factory) The torsion arm is in the exact same position as before. Just held on by a weld at the end of the spindle instead of the bolt alone.
Gotcha, that makes sense.

Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: LuvWater] #15140386 07/24/24 09:33 PM
L
LuvWater Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Great info!! I appreciate your help tremendously guys.

Dale

Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: LuvWater] #15140590 07/25/24 01:45 AM
R
Rayzor Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
It would take a lot of space to list all of the axle problems I've had in the last 5 years. I have a big plastic storage box I take with me during my road trips that is full of tools and extra parts.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: Rayzor] #15140733 07/25/24 10:09 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Rayzor
It would take a lot of space to list all of the axle problems I've had in the last 5 years. I have a big plastic storage box I take with me during my road trips that is full of tools and extra parts.

Lol aren't boat trailers the best

Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: LuvWater] #15140852 07/25/24 01:22 PM
D
dk2429 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Vault hubs

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Boat Trailer Hub Issues [Re: leethefishking] #15141283 07/25/24 07:52 PM
B
BCB Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Nope, he said he welded the splined shaft to the arm. That would be fine and solve his problem. The arms are cast though, so that could develop another issue in time. It should be synched up somehow.

BCB

BCB
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide