S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by nfhbass
Originally Posted by Houston Basscat
I think it’s consensus that that per TFF this TD needs his TD card pulled.

I never argue with idiots but for you I’ll make an exception. To anonymously call for a man’s job on the internet and pretend there is a consensus of any kind is ridiculous. You have no idea what you are talking about, you weren’t there, and you probably don’t know the people involved. Maybe it was the right call, maybe it wasn’t, maybe the TD learned a valuable lesson and is better for it today. I get tired of watching you fan the flames of drama around here. Every time there is a mention of High School fishing you have something disparaging to say. I hope you have received the attention you are desperately seeking on the internet.

That’s interesting

The only other criticism of high school fishing I’ve ever made on here was about an event that was overlapped with an elite event, it was clarified, and I moved on.

I don’t see anyone stepping up to the plate as an organization to be accountable and say they were wrong. If there were participants that were scared, and left on their own, the writing is on the wall, the TD was wrong.

I don’t have a skin in hs fishing, I have an opinion about it, but who is here saying it was a good idea to have that event? You?

It’s a fishing forum, why be on here if you don’t have an opinion?

While I’m at it, what outdoor event or competition , high school or not is allowed to proceed in lightning storms? I can’t think of one.

I agree it is the tournament director’s responsibility to make the correct call. To send kids out in the weather, or not to send them. Calling for the TD’s termination isn’t the right knee jerk reaction. This needs to be learned from and actions taken place to prevent it from happening in the future is all.

Like said above, HS football games are postponed during lightning. The big “but” here is the ability to communicate to the people and students in attendance. If it’s supposed to rain, the tickets are still sold and the people still show up. Same with fishing. It’s supposed to rain…you don’t cancel the day. The problem is communication to the captains and anglers. There needs to be a way to call boats to safety during a weather related event. There needs to be a plan in effect for stuff like this. Sending out 750 text messages all at once probably isn’t even a possibility for a TD.

It needs to be looked into, not a knee jerk kinda reaction.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15053992 04/22/24 06:58 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
If I am remembering correctly, happened on Roberts a couple of years back as well and that one almost got someone hurt...

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: SteezMacQueen] #15053993 04/22/24 06:59 PM
N
nfhbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Houston Basscat
I think it’s consensus that that per TFF this TD needs his TD card pulled.

I never argue with idiots but for you I’ll make an exception. To anonymously call for a man’s job on the internet and pretend there is a consensus of any kind is ridiculous. You have no idea what you are talking about, you weren’t there, and you probably don’t know the people involved. Maybe it was the right call, maybe it wasn’t, maybe the TD learned a valuable lesson and is better for it today. I get tired of watching you fan the flames of drama around here. Every time there is a mention of High School fishing you have something disparaging to say. I hope you have received the attention you are desperately seeking on the internet.

That’s interesting

The only other criticism of high school fishing I’ve ever made on here was about an event that was overlapped with an elite event, it was clarified, and I moved on.

I don’t see anyone stepping up to the plate as an organization to be accountable and say they were wrong. If there were participants that were scared, and left on their own, the writing is on the wall, the TD was wrong.

I don’t have a skin in hs fishing, I have an opinion about it, but who is here saying it was a good idea to have that event? You?

It’s a fishing forum, why be on here if you don’t have an opinion?

While I’m at it, what outdoor event or competition , high school or not is allowed to proceed in lightning storms? I can’t think of one.

I agree it is the tournament director’s responsibility to make the correct call. To send kids out in the weather, or not to send them. Calling for the TD’s termination isn’t the right knee jerk reaction. This needs to be learned from and actions taken place to prevent it from happening in the future is all.

Like said above, HS football games are postponed during lightning. The big “but” here is the ability to communicate to the people and students in attendance. If it’s supposed to rain, the tickets are still sold and the people still show up. Same with fishing. It’s supposed to rain…you don’t cancel the day. The problem is communication to the captains and anglers. There needs to be a way to call boats to safety during a weather related event. There needs to be a plan in effect for stuff like this. Sending out 750 text messages all at once probably isn’t even a possibility for a TD.

It needs to be looked into, not a knee jerk kinda reaction.

Steez, I don’t know much about how these hs tournaments function.

I understand it may be easier to shut down a football game.

What you’re saying is there is no protocol, process, rules for putting over 200 boats full of kids out on a lake with a thunderstorm in the forecast? Is this real? A text message, if there is cell service saying the tournament is postponed seems very feasible.

Firing is mostly a joke, but someone should at least have some explaining to do.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054002 04/22/24 07:07 PM
C
Cpack06 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
They have rules in place for this situation. I was there and at times it was dangerous. There were windows of cold rain when you could fish safely and if you monitored a radar you could see the periods of thunderstorms coming. I pulled my kids off the water at 11:00 for 30 minutes and we called it a day at 1:00 when a large thunderstorm was almost on us.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Bass Buster1] #15054003 04/22/24 07:08 PM
N
nfhbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
If I am remembering correctly, happened on Roberts a couple of years back as well and that one almost got someone hurt...

Sounds like everything is on track for tragedy, If all of this is true, the ‘ol Swiss cheese model to risk mgmt still holds some validity.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054007 04/22/24 07:12 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
They don’t cancel sports because of rain. They don’t cancel sports because of lightning. They will, however, move people to safety during unsafe periods. This is what is needed during these fishing events is what I’m saying. Who that responsibility rests upon is the question. Ultimately, I’d say the TD would have final say so, so maybe it would make the TD the responsible person. I’m sure there are waivers that are signed relieving the TD and his employees from responsibility. This would put the control directly into the captains hands….

This is why I say it needs to be looked into and a plan in place for these situations. A plan that suspends fishing during this time, to prevent one team from gaining an advantage or being placed at a disadvantage.

No heads need to roll. Heads need to be used.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Cpack06] #15054008 04/22/24 07:13 PM
N
nfhbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by Cpack06
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
They have rules in place for this situation. I was there and at times it was dangerous. There were windows of cold rain when you could fish safely and if you monitored a radar you could see the periods of thunderstorms coming. I pulled my kids off the water at 11:00 for 30 minutes and we called it a day at 1:00 when a large thunderstorm was almost on us.

I’d love to hear why anyone thinks it was safe to have kids out in that, if you’re line is levitating above the water you don’t need a lightning map app to know you should be…not on water. Really glad everyone dodged the bullets. If this has happend before like was mentioned. How many more bullets are you all willing to let your kids dodge? After all they are trying to catch little green fish… hmmm

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054147 04/22/24 09:07 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I've beached the boat during storms (and know a couple of other captains that did as well) or took cover in someone's boat slip.
I've also been in a HS event that was called early due to weather. We were already in a slip taking cover when the call came and we just waited until it blew through before we loaded up. I did call and make contact with the TD to let them know we were "stuck" but safe and we would proceed when it was safe to move about. There was no lightning near us but the cells coming were showing to be really bad. It was the right call, even though we were a little pissed because we felt we needed to make a couple more culls and believed we could have done it. (still got the "W" though)

If your worried about your kids dodging bullets with someone else, you have a few options.
Buy a boat and take them yourself.
Find a captain you trust with your kids.
Buy your kids "Bassmaster" on Xbox and keep them home in your comfortable living room.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Txduckhunter] #15054162 04/22/24 09:25 PM
N
nfhbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
I've beached the boat during storms (and know a couple of other captains that did as well) or took cover in someone's boat slip.
I've also been in a HS event that was called early due to weather. We were already in a slip taking cover when the call came and we just waited until it blew through before we loaded up. I did call and make contact with the TD to let them know we were "stuck" but safe and we would proceed when it was safe to move about. There was no lightning near us but the cells coming were showing to be really bad. It was the right call, even though we were a little pissed because we felt we needed to make a couple more culls and believed we could have done it. (still got the "W" though)

If your worried about your kids dodging bullets with someone else, you have a few options.
Buy your kids "Bassmaster" on Xbox and keep them home in your comfortable living room.

Do kids like winning when most of their competition has their boats on trailers headed home because they didn’t want to be fried?

If you’re the TD, and you see people packing up and heading home in a lightning storm, what goes through your mind? “They must just not be biting”

I bet it really worked out for someone willing to brave the storm, I think everyone been on a good bite before the storm and left them biting…

I probably will keep my kids inside in a lightning storm, correct.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: nfhbass] #15054188 04/22/24 09:50 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by C_Fisher
I had 2 16 year old girls in the boat with me. we waited for the lightening to clear that morning before we launched (7:15-7:30). fished through it until around 12:00 then noticed their lines were hovering above the water about 6'-7' feet when they casted. i decided it was time to pack up. by the time we got our life jackets on and everything strapped down lightening was striking all around us. we beached the boat and ran up under someone's awning in their yard. we waited for the lightening to clear and i asked them if they wanted to finish out the day. they were both shook up and decided they were done. we loaded the boat on the trailer and weighed in their fish. i'm really glad no one got hurt out there. wind and rain are one thing, but lightening is totally unsafe to be in on the water...

Wow. Can’t believe that is happening in high school fishing, especially an event with that many participants.

I can, idiots run that league.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: nfhbass] #15054201 04/22/24 09:58 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

Do kids like winning when most of their competition has their boats on trailers headed home because they didn’t want to be fried?

If you’re the TD, and you see people packing up and heading home in a lightning storm, what goes through your mind? “They must just not be biting”

I bet it really worked out for someone willing to brave the storm, I think everyone been on a good bite before the storm and left them biting…

I think what most fail to understand is that there are all kinds of kids in the event.
Some want to have fun just being on the water/outdoors.
Some want to catch fish.
Some are just trying it out to see what it is.
Some have ZERO interest in doing it in the cold, wet, hot or nasty.
Some say they want to win but don't want to do the work.
And then there are those few who want to win, don't mind doing the work and could care less what kind of weather they are in. The drive to succeed is just that strong in them. These kids would excel at whatever they chose to take on. They are going to do well if half the field leaves or stays - doesn't matter to them.
I've carried almost all of these types of kids. I have enjoyed it with them all but I won't lie - that last category is the one that I enjoy most and will do all I can on my part to help them achieve their dreams.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: SteezMacQueen] #15054219 04/22/24 10:12 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Sending out 750 text messages all at once probably isn’t even a possibility for a TD.
There are apps that can do it, but they aren't free and they require setup. We use one at work for emergency communications, mass casualty events, etc. Ours functions as an email to text app. We have several groups already setup with both email addresses and cell numbers. When you send an email to one of the groups, both an email and a text message goes out to them. Works great.

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054265 04/22/24 10:58 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Me and my guys fish the northeast Texas division of THSBA and fished through some cold heavy rain on Sandlin this year. I told my guys when we left the boat ramp that if we saw lightning anywhere we were headed for the truck and wouldn't return to the water until I felt it was safe to go back.
I've had some run ins with lightning and feel I'm fortunate to be alive. There are probably a half a dozen incidents where it should have killed me.
I agree it would be hard for a tournament director to pull the plug without some sort of system in place that was mentioned above. Given what I saw here at the house this weekend if they launched ahead of that, I probably wouldn't have unloaded. I love tournament fishing and my guys do to, but it's not worth dying over.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Txduckhunter] #15054377 04/23/24 12:48 AM
D
Donegonefishin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D

I think what most fail to understand is that there are all kinds of kids in the event.
Some want to have fun just being on the water/outdoors.
Some want to catch fish.
Some are just trying it out to see what it is.
Some have ZERO interest in doing it in the cold, wet, hot or nasty.
Some say they want to win but don't want to do the work.
And then there are those few who want to win, don't mind doing the work and could care less what kind of weather they are in. The drive to succeed is just that strong in them. These kids would excel at whatever they chose to take on. They are going to do well if half the field leaves or stays - doesn't matter to them.
I've carried almost all of these types of kids. I have enjoyed it with them all but I won't lie - that last category is the one that I enjoy most and will do all I can on my part to help them achieve their dreams.

You are 100% right. The kids are all at different levels and motivations. But guess what, so are the boat captains. This whole thread is about an organization and TD who did not take into account that they had adults in the field who neither had the judgement nor experience to make the right call regarding the weather. I asked about the weather when the kids picked up their bracelets. The TD’s response was use your best judgement. Which essentially means you signed a waiver and if you are dumb enough to get struck by lightning then I have no liability. Is that attitude in the best interest of children?

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Texan Til I Die] #15054417 04/23/24 01:14 AM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Sending out 750 text messages all at once probably isn’t even a possibility for a TD.
There are apps that can do it, but they aren't free and they require setup. We use one at work for emergency communications, mass casualty events, etc. Ours functions as an email to text app. We have several groups already setup with both email addresses and cell numbers. When you send an email to one of the groups, both an email and a text message goes out to them. Works great.

^^^ This ^^^

It's rather simple and there are many programs to send mass texts. That is why most "larger" tournament organizations ask for a cell phone #. They build a data base containing everyone's contact info and it take seconds to text the entire data base.

#MFGA
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide