Page 1 of 2 1 2
Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? #15048179 04/16/24 10:47 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I come from freshwater fishing so, not totally green but saltwater is new to me.

I want to get some basic saltwater gear for in-shore, surf, or bay fishing. I am signed up for the TPWD intro's in Galveston next week and hope to use some loaner gear there though, I will bring along some basic freshwater gear.

I don't want to buy something that is too specialized for a single fishing discipline since I am so new. Will I be fishing off a dock, or in the surf, or something else once I get the basics down? With that thought in mind, what is good today? I want "VALUE" not cheap. I want gear that is solid and won't frustrate me with difficult mechanics or maintenance needs.

And, what sort of budget do I need to get good value-oriented gear? Is there a good store in Dallas or Houston to buy this gear at a fair "street price"?

TIA,
Sid

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15048194 04/16/24 11:02 PM
P
Pat Goff Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Unless you want to sling hunks of meat for a bite, your bass gear works fine for your bay trifecta, reds, trout and flounder.

You don’t need your stiff rods medium or light action works best.
1/8 oz jig heads for plastics, topwater and maybe a spoon is your arsenal. 15# mono or 20# braid will handle whatever you hook.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15048242 04/16/24 11:48 PM
F
FishDFly Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Listen to the above.

Anything you need can be found at Cut Rate in Houston..

FDF
Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15048373 04/17/24 01:44 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
I use a 6500 Abu Garcia reel on a 6.6 ft med/hvy ugly stik rod. I have a bunch of them and use them in freshwater and the bay. They are fine for 99% of the fish in the bay. You may need something bigger if you fish the jetty. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15048391 04/17/24 02:02 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Fish the beach front in the summer on the green water days. Keep it simple. Throw tails on a 1/8oz to 1/4 oz jig head. 20# Braid with 15# mono leader is a good start. Spinning rod or bait casting rod. 6’6” med light action. Probably about 3 colors of tails. Chicken on the Chain is usually a good color. One darker than that and another lighter.

Get a wading belt and net. Small over the shoulder tackle box. Neoprene Wading boots

Get there at first light. Start in the first cut and work out.

You can catch some nice trout in the surf. Some reds. Some other stuff.

If you are in the Katy Area stop at Anglers Anonymous. They have everything you need and a bunch you don’t. They fish so they are good to ask what you need.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15048772 04/17/24 01:34 PM
P
Pat Goff Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Your equipment is just tools in a toolbox. The real question is how are you planning on fishing? Which might be a hard question if you're just starting.
Boat, wade, bank?
Bay, surf, jetties?
Target fish? Trout, redfish, flounder or something bigger?
Artificial or meat slinging?

Wading is your cheapest entry. Like told, a wading belt for your net and stringer, wading boots and a shirt pocket will get you started.

If you're wanting to use artificial, you do not need a ton of choices, fish are not that picky. I use three plastics, hoagie super minnow in pumpkin/chartreuse when it's dark or clouded water, red flake/white tail when it's bright, and norton sand eel in tequila/chartreuse in clearer water. A spook type topwater, and weedless spoon when the redfish are in the gunk. That's all I carry. You'll figure out what works best for you.

I only use Oldham 1/8 oz screwlock jig heads, 20# braid on spinning rods, 15# ande back country on casting reels.

You might want a heavier head if you hit the surf,

The biggest thing people moving from bass to bay have figuring out, the fish are going to be way shallower than you can imagine.

You'll learn what water holds trout, what redfish like, and the particular spots that attract flounder.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15048864 04/17/24 02:25 PM
S
skeeter22 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Rinse the reels off with fresh water after every use.

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: skeeter22] #15050647 04/19/24 12:50 AM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by skeeter22
Rinse the reels off with fresh water after every use.

Also any hooks that got saltwater on them. I take my over the shoulder tackle box and throw the contents in the sink. Soak in soap and water for 30 minutes or so.Then rinse and a very lite spray with WD40.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15050861 04/19/24 04:18 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Star Rods, Stellar Lite 7 foot, 12/20 test line, medium heavy... hard to beat it for around $100.. prefer spinning rod for all types of salt water fishing... from the piers, jetties, from my kayak, and even on party boats... with a 3000 size reel... I use it with a Shimano Stratic. Any longer and it makes them harder to transport inside a car and hard to use one on a party boat if it has an awning.. light enough to cast all day, enough spool capacity to not get spooled right away if you hang something big.

[Linked Image]

Dicks, Bass Pro, Cabellas, and several online stores will normally carry them... they dont seem to be as popular in Texas as they are in Florida.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...3sroustllrltsp7frod/23sroustllrltsp7frod

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15052511 04/20/24 11:10 PM
butch sanders Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
nice

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: skeeter22] #15053136 04/21/24 06:02 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I appreciate all the help so far!

The first day had me at an inlet where I caught Pincushions and Croaker being hunted by bigger fish. Lots of fun. Monday I hope to hit the surf.

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Sid Post] #15053286 04/21/24 08:58 PM
P
Pat Goff Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
I wouldn't have much expectations on surf for a while. Wind is screaming from the west here, which is the worst direction, turns the surf into mud.

Surf gets good when the wind lays and you have green water

Lots of surf cams to help make that decision If you see this it's game on

[Linked Image]

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Pat Goff] #15054779 04/23/24 02:14 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Pat Goff
I wouldn't have much expectations on surf for a while. Wind is screaming from the west here, which is the worst direction, turns the surf into mud.

Surf gets good when the wind lays and you have green water

Lots of surf cams to help make that decision If you see this it's game on

Yep! Sunday was heavy wind and heavy overcast skies with loose sand blowing everywhere until late afternoon. Had me a little worried for Surf conditions but, woke up early and walked the beach a little with basically no wind and a beautiful sunrise while I finished my breakfast.

Around 10AM conditions were ugly with heavy wind, muddy waters, and heavy flows in the 'troughs' I could reach. Overall, a great learning and education experience but, a total bust in terms of fishing. I got some really good casts with a 10' pole but, the wind just carried it almost parallel to the beach mostly. Casting 'upwind' worked a little better but, the water flow just beached it quickly.

Overall, it really helped me figure out what to start looking for in terms of gear. The 'open' spinning reel with an 8oz weight and ~8oz of bait I threw for a while was not much fun for ME. Perhaps more practice and better technique would help but, the conventional (closed) reel I used in the bay, while loaded with less weight and bait, was much easier for me to use and control. I didn't really have any major mishaps with the spinning reel but, with this novice and some wind, I had a couple of minor backlashes with the line in the reel that I fixed relatively easily.

In terms of going out in bad conditions, I was already in Galveston so, going to Academy and Walart to look at gear versus going out to the beach again before I went home was an easy choice!

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: Pat Goff] #15054784 04/23/24 02:18 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Pat Goff
Unless you want to sling hunks of meat for a bite, your bass gear works fine for your bay trifecta, reds, trout and flounder.

You don’t need your stiff rods medium or light action works best.
1/8 oz jig heads for plastics, topwater and maybe a spoon is your arsenal. 15# mono or 20# braid will handle whatever you hook.

Thanks! A great post after my few hours bay side fishing!

Those Pincushions and Croaker that day were smaller than most Bluegill I catch so, my Freshwater gear would have worked well there. What I have though isn't really setup for the heavier line I need so, the question becomes whether I want to 'restring' my reel between bay fishing and lake fishing.

Re: Saltwater fishing gear for a total newbie? [Re: FishDFly] #15054787 04/23/24 02:22 PM
S
Sid Post Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by FishDFly
Listen to the above.

Anything you need can be found at Cut Rate in Houston..

Cut Rate Sports in Houston came up as permanently closed so, I didn't catch it on my way out of town.

Did they move and I had a simple Google failure on my cellphone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide