Forums59
Topics1,039,959
Posts13,973,252
Members144,225
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: I need a Zero Turn, Which one? [Re: Bandit 200 XP] #15013843 03/11/24 01:08 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by Bandit 200 XP
If i bought one i would want serviceable hydraulic pumps , what do ya'll think ?

Yeah, one of the "must have" options I suggested to Bob. Although service intervals for the pump can almost eliminate pump failure is my experience.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: I need a Zero Turn, Which one? [Re: HasBen] #15013872 03/11/24 01:34 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline OP
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by HasBen
Besides the quality of the Kubota, the dealer network throughout Texas will convince you. Our local dealer looks like a Chevrolet lot used to look like. Great selection of equipment and parts. The local dealer also employs people that know the product. Plus, you don’t know it yet, but you will want a small tractor with attachments as you get settled into the rural life and they got you covered.

I hear you on the tractor thing. yes Already bought a Can Am UTV and I have been using it as a workhorse. My wife and I have been clearing brush and Vines for the last few weeks. Saw Briars are crazy thick here and many have climbed the trees and choking them out. I tie a rope to a bundle of them, then pull them out with the Can Am. Then we burn them on the burn pile. It has been a work in progress. My yard except for a small patch around the pool is rough sandy terrain and not flat at all. I also have some narrow areas through trees that I would like to be able to run a mower. Speed is not one of my goals, but something rugged that won't get mired in the sandy stuff and can chew up small sticks. I plan to head to the Alba Tractor place that sells Kubota stuff and look around.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: I need a Zero Turn, Which one? [Re: grandbassslayer] #15013889 03/11/24 01:47 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by ToasterWEyes
Yea, grandbassslayer. Well I’d argue that guys don’t need $80,000 bass boats to catch fish……
Or $90,000 pickups w 4x4 to drive to the office and Starbucks either, but here we all are.
hammer

Well you ain’t wrong.😆

It is just a pleasure having good equipment. I might spend 20%-25% more than what the box store is uncrating and putting out in the parking lot but I'm happier about it. And again, I mow much more than 1 acre.

When I first bought my acreage I bought a used Ford tractor that had thousands of hours on it. I worked it hard but there were some fricks and fracks with it, then I bought a POS Farmtrac 55hp. Yeah, it was relatively inexpensive. Took 3 years and I traded it in on my 52hp Kubota. My lesson on equipment, buy quality and buy once.

I also bought the standard Craftsman 42" lawn tractor and 5 years later added a Husqvarna 42". Both mowed for 10 years (15 on the Craftsman) but I was always working on them. Sold 'em both for $100 and was happy to see them go.

13 year old Hustler FasTrac 48" in 2011 and then added a 54" SDX in '15. They get used hard. I actually do light bush hog work with them sometimes. They both rock and only had issues with the SDX (front wheel bearing and later a spindle bearing. It is extremely sandy here to the point that my blades eat away the tips every 50 hours and I think that might be the root of my bearing issues. The Fastrac has 1200 hours and the SDX around 1500. They are worked hard !

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: I need a Zero Turn, Which one? [Re: grandbassslayer] #15013907 03/11/24 02:00 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by Bob Davis

Thanks, they say that the Deere's hold up well.

One thing I've learned and that is to take a lot of Z turn opinions with a grain of salt. Yiu will hear the mowers at a dealer are different than the what a big box store sells regarding same model. Our mower came from JD dealership. The same model at Lowe's is identical. Same parts list and such.

There are a lot of choices out there and I bet most brands are pretty decent. Especially for homeowner use. I would focus on getting what is right for the amount of property yiu will mow, storage availability and ease of use.

If you have less than an acre or so I can't see the need for a mower over $5000-6000

This 100%. The way some guys recommend mowers for a 1 acre lot would be the equivalent of using a 40’ center console with twin 400s for fishing at your local lake. Sure it’s bigger and beefier, but it won’t necessarily last any longer than a properly maintained unit used correctly. I’ve had two “box store” cub cadets - the same one you get at the dealer, both have been bulletproof. One is now 20 years old and it gets lake duty, other than a few belts it’s just needed oil changes and a starter.

Mark and gbl are both correct. There's no reason to spend crazy money for an acre. Most anything in the $5k range will hold up for a decade with that amount of mowing. The $8k machine I linked would hold up for twice that.

I will say - if you're retired and just want to take it slow, a Scag would be my 2nd choice on a bumpy yard. Their seats are pretty comfortable. It's definitely far worse than a Ferris, but if you drive slow it won't be too bad.

Past that, they're all made of the same basic engine/transmission components and you won't find a meaningfuly difference in that department. Suspension and seats are the areas where some companies really spend a lot of money and others don't. The super expensive units obviously have full commercial duty engines and transmissions. My ferris has the vanguard B&S engine and zT-5400 transaxles, but you have zero use for that on your property.

Out of everything I've had (scag, grasshopper, gravely, kubota, ferris, cub cadet, hustler, etc.) the Kubota was actually the worst riding machine of the bunch. It was awful. That's the only one I'd 100% recommend against based on your description of the lot.

Last edited by patriot07; 03/11/24 02:02 PM.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: I need a Zero Turn, Which one? [Re: Bob Davis] #15013943 03/11/24 02:40 PM
donothin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Gravely. Put a different seat on mine and it is much better. The mower itself has been good, bearing are easily replaced and available.

Re: I need a Zero Turn, Which one? [Re: Bob Davis] #15013952 03/11/24 02:53 PM
S
Space Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
I bought an ariens I have a couple of hundred trouble free hours on it with no problems. It has no suspension, I'm a 1" shorter know but I found a memory foam cushion that took most of the pounding away. I change the air filter, fuel filter, replace the blades and change the oil yearly. I had a limited budget at the time and I used cc points to reduce the cost it starts everytime first or second try. I am not recommending it just letting you know what I had to do I'll change at the end of this year.

Re: I need a Zero Turn, Which one? [Re: Space] #15013979 03/11/24 03:38 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline OP
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Space
I bought an ariens I have a couple of hundred trouble free hours on it with no problems. It has no suspension, I'm a 1" shorter know but I found a memory foam cushion that took most of the pounding away. I change the air filter, fuel filter, replace the blades and change the oil yearly. I had a limited budget at the time and I used cc points to reduce the cost it starts everytime first or second try. I am not recommending it just letting you know what I had to do I'll change at the end of this year.

Yeah, I have been spending cash like a mad hatter lately and since I am getting real long in the tooth, I don't know if I need a 20 year mower. I bought a Craftsman rear engine 36" cut riding mower in 2007 and I still have this and I ran it yesterday to mulch up a ton of leaves. It has a 13 hp Briggs engine that I changed the oil on 2 times in 17 years. Paid $980 for it brand new. But is way light duty for what I have now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: I need a Zero Turn, Which one? [Re: Bob Davis] #15014040 03/11/24 04:52 PM
603Country Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
The wife is mowing right now on her monster Ferris. I gassed it up for her. With that mower suspension and the soft riding suspension seat, she zooms around with a smile. I don’t use that mower, since I’m the tractor guy here.

One thing of interest regarding the Ferris. The blades last a long time. When we had the ExMark, I replaced the blades every Spring. They were worn down. Year 3 on the Ferris and the original blades are fine. Same driver and same yard, but much less blade wear.

Re: I need a Zero Turn, Which one? [Re: Bob Davis] #15014261 03/11/24 09:13 PM
M
Marion Morrison Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Bought a Toro Timecutter? with suspension. It is like mowing on a cloud. Awesome!

42" non stamped deck which is stronger.

Bought last year with no problems yet.

Don't like:

When you turn too sharp, the inside wheel locks up and smashes the grass as you turn. Work so hard on yard and then have turn marks if you turn too sharp. Tractor never did that.

Re: I need a Zero Turn, Which one? [Re: Bob Davis] #15014978 03/12/24 06:38 PM
C
Cmack Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Been running an Ariens Ikon 42 for 7 years now and have only done routine maintenance on it and replaced the deck belt and battery.Been trouble free and an excellent value for the money.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide