Forums59
Topics1,039,325
Posts13,962,855
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: Jpurdue] #15007257 03/04/24 07:26 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I think a lot of people don't realize how difficult FFS is to use. I have fished with multiple FFS gurus including JJ. I know exactly what they are doing and how they do it. I have FFS on my boat and most days if I use it, I do WORSE than if I don't. Certainly, in terms of numbers.

1. You have to move to find fish. If you aren't ultra proficient with your trolling motor and boat control you wind up going so slow you never find fish or so fast you over run them when you do find them. Otherwise, you try and stop the boat by reversing the trolling motor and then can't relocate the fish you stopped for.

2. You have to be able to tell what you are looking at. For most people what they see on the screen, especially at first, it looks like the code from the matrix. Distinguishing a carp, a catfish, gar, or a tilapia from a bass is not easy. Even harder is determining size of the fish you are casting at. JJ could tell the size of a bass to within 1 lb when I was with him. Some lakes, including my home lake, are so full of trash fish everywhere you point the transducer there is a wall of fish. How do you tell the difference between a 5lb tilapia and a 5lb bass? It's not easy. I once asked JJ what he thought the biggest mistake people were making using FFS was and he said wasting time casting at 12lb carp. Another hot west texas lake that is putting out tons of DDs right now is so full of crappie, millions of them, that unless you have an ultra-trained eye its near impossible to distinguish a bass from all the static.

3. Once you find a fish you then have to be able to make the perfect cast at a fish that is likely moving from a boat that is likely being blown around in the wind.

4. Once you make that perfect cast you have to keep the fish and the lure in the small cone of the transducer to be able to see what's going on.

5. Once you've done all that you have to present the right lure (one you can actually see with FFS) to the fish.

6. Once you've selected the right lure you have to present it to the fish in the right way. Sometimes that's a steady retrieve 6 feet above them. Sometimes you've got to drop it right on their nose. The variations are limitless.

7. After all that, you've still got to get the fish to bite.

About the only time it's "easy" is when there are no trash fish, no wind, and they'll hit an A-rig. I do quite well in those situations which is about 2% of the time.

It's 10X harder than most people think.

2cents

100%

Only thing is if you put in enough TOW and do master this technique, you can use it and win 12 months out of the year with 1 pattern/technique, where that would be nearly impossible with almost any other technique.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15007262 03/04/24 07:33 PM
G
grandbassslayer Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
It’s a different pattern technique if you have to use a different lure

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15007306 03/04/24 08:14 PM
B
BrandoA Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I have only been on boats with FFS while fishing for hybrids/stripers. I have zero experience while fishing for bass. using one ( hopefully soon though) My take is FFS will make good fisherman better and bad fisherman confused. I will say that for me fishing for stripers/hybrids it was almost to easy once I figured out what I was looking at but I wouldn't say it was easy. One thing that striper fisherman have always done is be able to fish open what and distinguish different species of fish. I can't wait to learn how to use it fishing for largemouth.

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: Jpurdue] #15008299 03/05/24 07:23 PM
J
Jeeper92 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I think a lot of people don't realize how difficult FFS is to use. I have fished with multiple FFS gurus including JJ. I know exactly what they are doing and how they do it. I have FFS on my boat and most days if I use it, I do WORSE than if I don't. Certainly, in terms of numbers.

1. You have to move to find fish. If you aren't ultra proficient with your trolling motor and boat control you wind up going so slow you never find fish or so fast you over run them when you do find them. Otherwise, you try and stop the boat by reversing the trolling motor and then can't relocate the fish you stopped for.

2. You have to be able to tell what you are looking at. For most people what they see on the screen, especially at first, it looks like the code from the matrix. Distinguishing a carp, a catfish, gar, or a tilapia from a bass is not easy. Even harder is determining size of the fish you are casting at. JJ could tell the size of a bass to within 1 lb when I was with him. Some lakes, including my home lake, are so full of trash fish everywhere you point the transducer there is a wall of fish. How do you tell the difference between a 5lb tilapia and a 5lb bass? It's not easy. I once asked JJ what he thought the biggest mistake people were making using FFS was and he said wasting time casting at 12lb carp. Another hot west texas lake that is putting out tons of DDs right now is so full of crappie, millions of them, that unless you have an ultra-trained eye its near impossible to distinguish a bass from all the static.

3. Once you find a fish you then have to be able to make the perfect cast at a fish that is likely moving from a boat that is likely being blown around in the wind.

4. Once you make that perfect cast you have to keep the fish and the lure in the small cone of the transducer to be able to see what's going on.

5. Once you've done all that you have to present the right lure (one you can actually see with FFS) to the fish.

6. Once you've selected the right lure you have to present it to the fish in the right way. Sometimes that's a steady retrieve 6 feet above them. Sometimes you've got to drop it right on their nose. The variations are limitless.

About the only time it's "easy" is when there are no trash fish, no wind, and they'll hit an A-rig. I do quite well in those situations which is about 2% of the time.

2cents

Excellent post. I have been trying to catch with FFS similar to what I see on Bassmasters/MLF and having a tough time. These are excellent points and speak the difficulty of it.

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: Jpurdue] #15008319 03/05/24 07:40 PM
H
Houston Basscat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H

2cents

But once you can do all that, you're better than the Greg Hackney.

Your list, although difficult, is certainly doable. The problem is once you are able to do all those things you are far more efficient and better at capturing 5 big bass than even the most experienced and talented of bass pros.

It's far easier to learn the steps you describe and utilize them rather than spend an entire lifetime learning the art of bass fishing through trial and error.

This tool totally levels the playing field.

Last edited by Houston Basscat; 03/05/24 07:47 PM.
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15008325 03/05/24 07:46 PM
G
grandbassslayer Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
What’s the problem with being better than Greg hackney? These guys aren’t gods..

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: grandbassslayer] #15008335 03/05/24 07:55 PM
H
Houston Basscat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
What’s the problem with being better than Greg hackney? These guys aren’t gods..

I have no problem. I love FFS. You sound happy.

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: Jpurdue] #15008345 03/05/24 08:04 PM
D
Dale Gribble Offline
Angler
Angler
D

2cents

This is a well written version of what I have been trying to say as well. I have spent at least a hundred hours trying to not suck at FFS for Bass The naysayers just don't have a clue how hard it is.

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: Houston Basscat] #15008352 03/05/24 08:09 PM
H
Harleydude Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
H
Originally Posted by Houston Basscat

2cents

Your list, although difficult, is certainly doable. The problem is once you are able to do all those things you are far more efficient and better at capturing 5 big bass than even the most experienced and talented of bass pros.

It's far easier to learn the steps you describe and utilize them rather than spend an entire lifetime learning the art of bass fishing through trial and error.

There is that term again. The “ART” of bass fishing. If someone figures out how to kick your butt working smarter instead of harder then maybe the art wasn’t as good as originally thought. Why do folks assume these newer guys don’t know the “ART” of bass fishing as well? I’d be willing to bet that 19 year old could whip the majority of the folks in here without FFS. Not to mention the time he and others have put in to hone their skills with FFS through the same trial and error you claim the artists only use.

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15008353 03/05/24 08:14 PM
G
grandbassslayer Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
McKinney is in the latest issue of bassmaster where they drop a guy on a random lake with no practice and do an article. He ran all over the lake and caught fish using a variety of techniques.

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15008358 03/05/24 08:21 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
The olds haven’t realized that the secret to fishing, is to fish where the fish are. They like to throw at nothing.

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: grout-scout] #15008365 03/05/24 08:28 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by grout-scout
The olds haven’t realized that the secret to fishing, is to fish where the fish are. They like to throw at nothing.

That’s me. cheers

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15008570 03/05/24 11:02 PM
EastTexasBassin Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
[Linked Image]

Won't be long before we have full 360 degrees livescope with drone tracking. Put your goggles on and see every fish within a hundred yards. 😁

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: Houston Basscat] #15008573 03/05/24 11:07 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Houston Basscat

2cents

Your old guy is showing

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15009250 03/06/24 03:31 PM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
I feel fundamentally restrained that electro-fishing isn't allowed for recreational anglers.

Spot it n' shock it.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide