Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What size braided line? [Re: Ibock] #15003562 02/29/24 03:27 PM
TBassYates Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I almost always have a Wacky Senko rig tied on. I don't throw it that much but during certain times of the year on certain lakes it is a consistant technique that catches a lot of fish. Over the years I have tried about every combination there is and I ended up with this simple rig. I use 20lb Sunline XPlasma braid period. No leader. Tried about every combination with different lines and when I was still experimenting ended up using 12lb Mean Green CoPolymer. But I got tired of trying different knots so one day I just tied the braid directly to my hook and caught a ton of fish that day and have eliminated the leader all together and have never looked back. Am I just crazy to think I catch as many fish now without the leader than when I used one or do you think if I am catching fish with my rig now I could actually catch more fish using a leader and just don't know it. I don't think I will change but just curious what you think. I got this tip to not use the leader from a pro years ago that his opinion was he didn't see the advantage of the leader.

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What size braided line? [Re: Ibock] #15003767 02/29/24 06:10 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
The leader has no effect on bite frequency, unless in ultra clear water......but does give you some forgiveness with bigger bass close to the boat if the hook went through the side lip.....less chances of headshakes tearing the hole significantly bigger and loosening the hook.....with braid, there is no stretch, and it's nice to have a little stretch when fighting the fish in close proximity.

[Linked Image]
Re: What size braided line? [Re: CCTX] #15003810 02/29/24 06:45 PM
bassnman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by CCTX
The leader has no effect on bite frequency, unless in ultra clear water......but does give you some forgiveness with bigger bass close to the boat if the hook went through the side lip.....less chances of headshakes tearing the hole significantly bigger and loosening the hook.....with braid, there is no stretch, and it's nice to have a little stretch when fighting the fish in close proximity.

I agree with the first part of this. On most of the Texas lakes a leader is not needed but might help slightly in the summer or fall when water clarity may be an issue. I don't believe the minute amount of stretch in a leader has a significant effect on head shakers getting off. Comparing braid to mono or co overall (with no leader) it would. MY 2cents

Re: What size braided line? [Re: TBassYates] #15004052 02/29/24 11:10 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by TBassYates
I almost always have a Wacky Senko rig tied on. I don't throw it that much but during certain times of the year on certain lakes it is a consistant technique that catches a lot of fish. Over the years I have tried about every combination there is and I ended up with this simple rig. I use 20lb Sunline XPlasma braid period. No leader. Tried about every combination with different lines and when I was still experimenting ended up using 12lb Mean Green CoPolymer. But I got tired of trying different knots so one day I just tied the braid directly to my hook and caught a ton of fish that day and have eliminated the leader all together and have never looked back. Am I just crazy to think I catch as many fish now without the leader than when I used one or do you think if I am catching fish with my rig now I could actually catch more fish using a leader and just don't know it. I don't think I will change but just curious what you think. I got this tip to not use the leader from a pro years ago that his opinion was he didn't see the advantage of the leader.

Agree with no leader necessary. I like this braid because it sinks

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/YGK_XBRAID_OHDRAGON_X4_Sinking_Braided_Line/descpage-OHDRAG.html

Re: What size braided line? [Re: Ken A.] #15004063 02/29/24 11:24 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Ken A.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/YGK_XBRAID_OHDRAGON_X4_Sinking_Braided_Line/descpage-OHDRAG.html

I believe Daiwa has a sinking braid coming out this spring as well.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: What size braided line? [Re: Ibock] #15004097 03/01/24 12:11 AM
B
Big Swimbait Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I have gone exclusively to the 832 in Camo. If I need a Senko to fall a little faster, I insert a 1/64 oz nail weight in the center. The Camo has just enough break-up that I can still line watch the floating portion.

Less gritchin', more fishin'
Re: What size braided line? [Re: Ibock] #15004221 03/01/24 02:21 AM
B
Bill Durham Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by Ibock
For a wacky rig on a medium spinning what pound test are you using. 20 Pound? What brand?

Hey.. I really like the Diawa 5 strand braid, it really casts better for me than Suffix 832. I vary between 10lb and 12lb Invisix floro for leader, depending on what kind of structure Im fishing.

BD

Re: What size braided line? [Re: Ibock] #15004317 03/01/24 04:24 AM
D
dk2429 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
30# for everything. Fins Windtamer

Last edited by dk2429; 03/01/24 04:24 AM.

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: What size braided line? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #15004509 03/01/24 02:17 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Ken A.

I believe Daiwa has a sinking braid coming out this spring as well.

I'll be watching for it.

Re: What size braided line? [Re: Ibock] #15004558 03/01/24 02:54 PM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Question for those answering braid to floro leader... Why??? If you're use 30lb braid to 15lb floro leader you just really throwing 15lb because it's the weakest link... And doesn't adding the knot at the main line to leader add another weak link, the knot???.. I'm a mono, floro guy... Tried braid a couple of time and I don't like it... I've fished Rayburn, Fork, Seminole, the Big O and just got back from 2 weeks fishing Lake Tohopekaliga and have never lost a fish because I couldn't get it out of the heavy stuff and broke off... Just wondering... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: What size braided line? [Re: Ibock] #15004611 03/01/24 03:39 PM
A
avid_basser Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
There's several factors:

1) Visibility
2) Sink rate
3) Abrasion resistance

Flouro has some traits that braid doesn't, so you get the best of both worlds. I do agree that your weakest link is usually at the knots or the lowest pound test.

Re: What size braided line? [Re: Dan21XRS] #15004654 03/01/24 04:19 PM
J
Jeeper92 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
Question for those answering braid to floro leader... Why??? If you're use 30lb braid to 15lb floro leader you just really throwing 15lb because it's the weakest link... And doesn't adding the knot at the main line to leader add another weak link, the knot???.. I'm a mono, floro guy... Tried braid a couple of time and I don't like it... I've fished Rayburn, Fork, Seminole, the Big O and just got back from 2 weeks fishing Lake Tohopekaliga and have never lost a fish because I couldn't get it out of the heavy stuff and broke off... Just wondering... Dan

I throw braid to leader (usually floro). I use an FG Knot. My reasons:
1) More sensitive. I am relatively new to bass fishing. Like most, I learn from youtube and earlier on I learned from tactical bassin guys that you can essentially make a cheaper rod more sensitive by using braid.
2) Backlashes. I have no confidence if I backlash fluro. The couple times I have, it melts a weak spot in the middle of the spool. Your next cast and your lure and 20 years of line are now in the lake. I skip a lot of docks so that gets expensive and I don't like leaving too much line in the lake.
3) Cost, floro is expensive. I put on braid and it generally lasts a year or more. Sure I put lots of new leaders on in that time but you are only using 5 yards of leader at a time. Plus I can put different weight leaders on depending on application. Or cut leader off if throwing a frog or arig.
4) Confidence. I use an FG knot and I don't think I have had it fail on a fish. Maybe once or twice snagged on the bottom. I had a 30lb braid to 20lb abrazix on a reel and snagged a jack hammer underneath a dock. Thought to myself there goes my $18 chatterbait. I pulled and pulled and pulled. Bent the hook out and got the bait back. Braid held. FG knot held. Abrazix held and trilene knot held.

To me the downside is reluctance to retie, but I fish for fun so it's usually not a big issue to sit down and tie up a new leader. Plus I have gotten pretty good at tying an FG.

Re: What size braided line? [Re: Jeeper92] #15004667 03/01/24 04:29 PM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Jeeper92

1) More sensitive. I am relatively new to bass fishing. Like most, I learn from youtube and earlier on I learned from tactical bassin guys that you can essentially make a cheaper rod more sensitive by using braid...

If you're using braid to lure yes I can see that... But if you're attaching a leader of floro to braid then it'll kill the sensitivity... Again weakest link... Dan confused 3

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: What size braided line? [Re: Dan21XRS] #15004717 03/01/24 05:07 PM
J
Jeeper92 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
Originally Posted by Jeeper92

1) More sensitive. I am relatively new to bass fishing. Like most, I learn from youtube and earlier on I learned from tactical bassin guys that you can essentially make a cheaper rod more sensitive by using braid...

If you're using braid to lure yes I can see that... But if you're attaching a leader of floro to brain then it'll kill the sensitivity... Again weakest link... Dan confused 3

You are reducing some but not all. The stretch of a 10 ft length of flouro (using braid to leader) is still a lot less than 50 yards (all flouro).

Re: What size braided line? [Re: avid_basser] #15004804 03/01/24 07:41 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by avid_basser
There's several factors:

1) Visibility
2) Sink rate
3) Abrasion resistance

Flouro has some traits that braid doesn't, so you get the best of both worlds. I do agree that your weakest link is usually at the knots or the lowest pound test.

The main reason to use braid in a spinning reel? Manageability. The stuff doesn’t get memory, no line twisting, doesn’t jump off the spool. The leader is what you are presenting to the fish, the braid is just to deliver the leader and be easy to use.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide