Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: Jezreel] #14997953 02/23/24 06:28 PM
RCarter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Jezreel
Originally Posted by RCarter
I understand what you are saying Barrett...if this sport is going to grow there needs to be a very serious approach taken for the education and safety of the kids.....

And who says the sport needs to grow? ? ? So often I read, on the forum, about how the lakes are too crowded, and we need more lakes. This is generally what this thread is about. What is growing the sport gonna get ya, other than already crowded lakes and complaining about too many folks on the lake. And on, and on, and on.

Just askin’. . .

What I meant and should have said was the sport needs to develop "new" anglers to replace us old farts.....sorry for not clarifying fish

WORK HARD.....FISH HARDER!

GOD is Great...BEER is Good...and PEOPLE are CrAZy
billy currington
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: Jezreel] #14997954 02/23/24 06:30 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
I understand what you are saying Barrett...if this sport is going to grow there needs to be a very serious approach taken for the education and safety of the kids.....

And who says the sport needs to grow? ? ? So often I read, on the forum, about how the lakes are too crowded, and we need more lakes. This is generally what this thread is about. What is growing the sport gonna get ya, other than already crowded lakes and complaining about too many folks on the lake. And on, and on, and on.

Just askin’. . .

People who sell tackle and boats lol

Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: RCarter] #14997979 02/23/24 06:57 PM
J
Jezreel Offline
Angler
Angler
J

Just askin’. . .

What I meant and should have said was the sport needs to develop "new" anglers to replace us old farts.....sorry for not clarifying fish

Yessiree! ! ! Now we’re talkin’😁😁😁👍👍👍

Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: WAWI] #14998013 02/23/24 07:56 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by WAWI
In a regular tournament stuff like that gets dealt with different.

I do agree with you on that!

Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: Jezreel] #14998241 02/24/24 12:21 AM
N
nfhbass Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
N

Just askin’. . .

“Grow the sport” three words anyone looking to secure a sponsorship uses as a way to convince potential partners that product is going to move.

This idea that we are letting the kids get fresh air and enjoy the outdoors is stupid. You can easily do that without a jersey and “captain” to take you around fishing a tournament.

These kids needs to be riding their bikes to ponds and fishing from the bank, grow the bank fishing sport

High school is a time for sports. Football mainly.

Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: RKT] #14998251 02/24/24 12:29 AM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RKT
Originally Posted by Barrett
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by Barrett
They are BANKING off high school fishing. Hope nobody gets hurt. A lot of children being captained by inexperienced boaters. Its probably going to take someone getting hurt before it gets checked.

Why do you have a problem with HS fishing?

Well most have a problem with it from what they have personally witnessed on the water from participants not necessarily from a clueless zero etiquette perspective because thats been atrocious since it started. I have a problem with it mainly due to safety and MAJORLY the fact complete strangers ask me every year to captain their high school kids... "I got your number from so and so and was wondering if you could....." A 250 horsepower boat is not a toy yet I have parents call me every year wanting me to captain their children who ive never even met. I have been asked to captain prob 20 times and refuse.

I have experienced just as many boaters with zero etiquette and just as many if not more safety issues in the adult tournaments I have fished as I have the High School tournaments I have captained in. There are many new boaters in the adult tournaments also. What I hear from you is that you are griping about safety about things that have never happened for the simple fact something could happen in the future. I have been in adult tournaments where boats have collided and death has occurred. That has never happened in any high school tournament that I have been in.

You stated earlier that people are "BANKING" off of high school fishing. Can you provide any examples of this or are you just talking out of your a$$ with zero knowledge of how any of it works? I am pretty sure that you are like about 95% of the other people that make that statement and you actually have zero knowledge of how high school fishing operates.

Let me get this straight. You think the largest tournament organization on this planet as far as participants go with 9 divisions and all these big name cash paying sponsors, given academy gift cards, charging a 60 dollar membership fee, paying out scholarship money that may or may not be used by said angler isn’t BANKING then that’s the craziest chit I’ve read on Tff since I joined in 2009. It’s ok to make money… I don’t work for free and I bet you don’t either. But to claim they are not is incredible. I’m not talking out my [censored] and unless you are actually involved with the business outside of being a boat captain whoever you are, I would bet money I know actual numbers that you don’t even know. It’s ok to make money.

Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: nfhbass] #14998256 02/24/24 12:31 AM
N
nfhbass Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
roflmao get em Barrett!

Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: Barrett] #14998428 02/24/24 03:00 AM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R

Let me get this straight. You think the largest tournament organization on this planet as far as participants go with 9 divisions and all these big name cash paying sponsors, given academy gift cards, charging a 60 dollar membership fee, paying out scholarship money that may or may not be used by said angler isn’t BANKING then that’s the craziest chit I’ve read on Tff since I joined in 2009. It’s ok to make money… I don’t work for free and I bet you don’t either. But to claim they are not is incredible. I’m not talking out my [censored] and unless you are actually involved with the business outside of being a boat captain whoever you are, I would bet money I know actual numbers that you don’t even know. It’s ok to make money.
[/quote]

I can assure you 100% I know exactly what I am talking about and you don’t know [censored] about it. I am a THSBA board member. Not a single board member makes a single dollar for their position. Being a board member has cost me a lot of money over the years. I spend my own gas money and pay for my own hotels (other than the state tournament) with zero reimbursement. The people that are the tournament directors do make a small amount of money and there are two employees that handle the business side that do not make anywhere near enough money to live and one of those is a full time position. I know it’s probably hard for a person like you to believe it, but not all people are greedy and many of us will actually sacrifice to do things for others.

It’s amazing that people like you make these accusations when the financials for the organization are made public and proves that you are 100% wrong.

Last edited by RKT; 02/24/24 03:18 AM.
Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: Bass Buster1] #14998440 02/24/24 03:13 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
HS fishing is not a UIL sport. It is the same model for HS shotgun shooting teams. A 501C3 company is started and they use something really fun like shooting and fishing to draw a crowd, they go and introduce the club to the schools and they take off. They write bylaws and such usually requiring a school to "sponsor" the team. School sponsorship usually means a teacher volunteers to get involved, the school provides a place to meet, and the kids wear the name of the school other than that it is not a school sport. People do profit, the owner of the 501C3 can pay themselves and other employees a salary. I do not know how the Texas high school fishing one is run but the shotgun one was run this way and there were several who worked hard but were paid very nice salaries. The money to pay those salaries comes through grants from corporations like Midway USA and dues paid by individual shooters. Coaches were all trained volunteers, mostly parents, just like the boat captains, the only ones paid were hired employees of the 501C3. Prizes are usually donated product or cash from cooperate donations. Donating corporations are on board because they get to write off their donations to a 501C3 and then they are getting future customers interested in the sport.

The great is it is fun for kids that may not be good at other sports and a good way for kids and parents or other mentors to spend time outside together.

The bad is it is very popular, often unorganized because of the volunteer nature of the organizations, and ripe for safety and cheating/ethics issues.

After captaining a couple of times as a favor to a friend, I will fish elsewhere if I know there is a HS tournament scheduled on the lake, it is a zoo...

A few of the "volunteers" will be along to drag you soon.

The truth is sometimes a hard pill to swallow.

#MFGA
Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: nfhbass] #14998446 02/24/24 03:22 AM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by nfhbass
roflmao get em Barrett!

He might could “get ‘em” if he knew anything about what he is talking about. He is a lot like you in this subject matter. Complete ignorance.

Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: RKT] #14998467 02/24/24 03:54 AM
B
Board Pro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted by RKT
roflmao get em Barrett!

He might could “get ‘em” if he knew anything about what he is talking about. He is a lot like you in this subject matter. Complete ignorance.

Mr RKT what does that stand for?

Barrett is correct, do the the numbers on the entry fees and number of participants as well as the donations that are given to the organizations and then say that nobody is making anything off the deal. It is a common grift, appeal to the kids and spoiled kids will get their mommies and daddies to pay whatever it takes to make sure their kids "feel good".

Just because you are one of the people who has fallen for the trap and you donate your time and/or money to contribute to help "grow the grift" ooops, sport organization, doesn't mean you understand and are an expert on the whole thing. It's obvious you have probably bought ever made for TV product you have seen since you were old enough to call a 1-800 #.

#clueless

"Often imitated, never duplicated"

[Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: RKT] #14998477 02/24/24 04:06 AM
RCarter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by RKT
roflmao get em Barrett!

Don't expect a reply....the OP is bolt

Last edited by RCarter; 02/24/24 04:07 AM.

WORK HARD.....FISH HARDER!

GOD is Great...BEER is Good...and PEOPLE are CrAZy
billy currington
Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: Board Pro] #14998483 02/24/24 04:20 AM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Board- if you read my post I did not say that no one is making any money. I did say a few people are making a little money, but not much. Instead of calling someone who knows where pretty much every dollar is spent clueless why don’t you just look at the public postings from THSBA that account for every dollar brought in and every dollar spent. It is all available to y’all. However, some of y’all would rather assume things instead of looking it up and seeing the facts. I guess based on your statement you have no idea what the operations costs are. Do you have any idea what insurance costs are to run the operation? Do you have any idea what weigh in trailers or live release tanks costs? There are many many more large expenses that many on the outside are not aware of. The accounting is all available and if a person cared to educate themselves by looking up and reading the facts they would not then make false accusations.

Surely your smart enough to figure out what it means when a person used three capital letters to identify themselves.

Last edited by RKT; 02/24/24 04:36 AM.
Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: nfhbass] #14998490 02/24/24 04:30 AM
M
McLovin’ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Fishingminnesota.com

Go get on your own forum….

Re: HS kids on Toledo [Re: RKT] #14998616 02/24/24 01:40 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RKT
Board- if you read my post I did not say that no one is making any money. I did say a few people are making a little money, but not much. Instead of calling someone who knows where pretty much every dollar is spent clueless why don’t you just look at the public postings from THSBA that account for every dollar brought in and every dollar spent. It is all available to y’all. However, some of y’all would rather assume things instead of looking it up and seeing the facts. I guess based on your statement you have no idea what the operations costs are. Do you have any idea what insurance costs are to run the operation? Do you have any idea what weigh in trailers or live release tanks costs? There are many many more large expenses that many on the outside are not aware of. The accounting is all available and if a person cared to educate themselves by looking up and reading the facts they would not then make false accusations.

Surely your smart enough to figure out what it means when a person used three capital letters to identify themselves.

At least you admitted “a few” people are making money. Goodness that made my head hurt.

We will see how many calls Dannie Golden gets this week at Roberts during the no info period. I’m putting the over under at 4….. TFF place your bets!!

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide