Re: Getting old fishing trips [Re: Fishspanker] #14938029 12/26/23 02:08 PM
B
Big Hopper Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Fishspanker
Olds….

On our last trip to Delacroix in late October I noticed the conversation had changed over the years. We have been going on a couple of week long trips to Louisiana twice a year for about 15 years or so. Venice in later May, another location in the fall. Fished the company tournament in Rockport most years. Also took a number of wade fishing trips each year. Fished here and there.

I asked the group. Do you realize?……….The conversation used to be about women, drinking, partying, crazy stuff someone did, etc. Last couple of trips conversation is about Lipitor, Metamucil, magnifying glasses, how much the knee hurts, plantar fasciitis, how much you hate those stairs and the woman is the wife…….lol.

On the Venice trip it used to be we would go after them all day. Out at day break, in about 4am, clean fish and boat, get ready for the next day, dinner about 8pm, stay up to 11 pm back at it everyday. Now the fishing ends at 1pm or so and everyone is pretty much crashed at 9pm. Might even take a weather day off. Not near as made at them anymore. We strictly wade fish there. Can’t do that forever. Can’t help but think the years are getting numbered on that trip. Turned 61 this month. 4 more years until I retire which will be after 47 years. I will go until I can’t. Might have to wade with a Walker….lol.

In the same boat, so to say.

This year we decided to do something about it. Myself and three high school buddies went together on a trip to the White River , Ark. We are all in our mid-late sixties, and we decided that we were tired of seeing each other mostly at funerals. So we decided the every year, we would try to get together somewhere, with the idea of hunting or fishing, but mostly remembering. Yeah we each had complaints of aches and pains, and scars from surgeries, but we are alive, while some other of our buddies have passed. We had a great time on the White River, and I will be trying to go back with the wife. Two weeks after the trip, one of us texted the others that he had just been diagnosed with a growth in his brain. They did surgery to remove it, but it turned out to be cancer. Same type that he had on a kidney a few years ago. He said, "Well, they took it out. It was cancer, but not the kind that's gonna take me tomorrow. I have some time for a few more fishing trips. So, we are looking for our next adventure, be it red fishing on the coast, or back to Arkansas, or a hunting trip. Count your blessings, and share with old friends, while you still can.

I'm glad there are wine drinkers in this world ..... it saves more beer for the rest of us.
Hopper
Re: Getting old fishing trips [Re: Fishspanker] #14938091 12/26/23 03:41 PM
K
ko bass attack 27 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Our bunch has gone to Toledo Bend every year for about 30 yrs. When we started I was one of the younger ones, this year I was next to the oldest. We have added a few over the years but have lost many others that have passed on. The food, fun and fellowship mean more to me now than the fishing. We usually go the third week in October.

Re: Getting old fishing trips [Re: Fishspanker] #14938255 12/26/23 06:36 PM
O
outdoor-addict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Age shouldn't factor into trips. Conversational topics will inevitably shift as one matures.

I think what changes is the intensity of the trip, may not take as much as it once did to "quench a thirst".

Re: Getting old fishing trips [Re: Fishspanker] #14938553 12/27/23 02:19 AM
L
LOOKN4REDS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Getting old is not easy. It’s not for youngsters. As we get older, we sometimes overestimate our abilities. SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is now my limiting factor. In other words pay attention in the event something should happen what is the best outcome scenario, what is the most likely scenario and what is the worst case scenario. If I can’t handle the worst case scenario, i shouldn’t be there. The BTB (Beyond The Breaker) old cronies are now all but extinct on the upper coast. Still have kayak trailer and gear but I don’t think I could handle a worst case scenario anymore. Now we just talk about past trips and fishing pards. Yep, old age should not be factor on fishing trips but it sure as heck can get you dead if you are foolish. As someone above may have said, alter your trips. Guide service is great.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide