Forums59
Topics1,039,734
Posts13,969,539
Members144,217
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 145 of 152 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 151 152
Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: RPD] #14921166 12/08/23 02:21 AM
R
Rayzor Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Here's my deal and it just is what it is. Around Houston, they haven't built a new lake or whatever you want to call it in 42 years. That was Gibbons Creek reservoir. The last I heard, it had been sold and will probably wind up as a backdrop for million-dollar homes and a golf course. For my own reasons, I don't fish Conroe or Livingston. I will venture over to Luces Bayou to let my Wife catch white bass. Someone (major mystery) put the screws to Lake Bastrop's eel grass. Fairfield is gone. I have never had either size or quantity at Houston County Lake. They shuttered the power plant at Decker and the ramps are closed right now.

I can fish Kurth about 4 months out of the year due to the extreme amount of hydrilla. (I am not complaining.) I have only had luck on Somerville for white bass. I have been to Limestone twice and the trips weren't worth the gas I had to buy. I can't knock Fayette County. It can produce numbers, size or both.

MY TYPES OF LAKES ARE DWINDLING. Maybe I'll go back to a center console and saltwater fishing.

Disclaimer - this is my story and may not necessarily reflect your opinion. roflmao

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: Rayzor] #14921223 12/08/23 03:23 AM
Nathan Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Rayzor
Here's my deal and it just is what it is. Around Houston, they haven't built a new lake or whatever you want to call it in 42 years. That was Gibbons Creek reservoir. The last I heard, it had been sold and will probably wind up as a backdrop for million-dollar homes and a golf course. For my own reasons, I don't fish Conroe or Livingston. I will venture over to Luces Bayou to let my Wife catch white bass. Someone (major mystery) put the screws to Lake Bastrop's eel grass. Fairfield is gone. I have never had either size or quantity at Houston County Lake. They shuttered the power plant at Decker and the ramps are closed right now.

I can fish Kurth about 4 months out of the year due to the extreme amount of hydrilla. (I am not complaining.) I have only had luck on Somerville for white bass. I have been to Limestone twice and the trips weren't worth the gas I had to buy. I can't knock Fayette County. It can produce numbers, size or both.

MY TYPES OF LAKES ARE DWINDLING. Maybe I'll go back to a center console and saltwater fishing.

Disclaimer - this is my story and may not necessarily reflect your opinion. roflmao

I agree 100%....It's almost impossible to build a new lake because of all the red tape. The last thing we should do is lose public lakes, Fairfield and Gibbons included, issues like that should be priority #1 at TPWD and the State capital. The China virus basically decimated the fish population while everyone was off and on the water, heck the lure isle at Academy was ransacked like a Toys R Us on Christmas eve. Like you said, what to do??? I have a ton of money tied up in Bass fishing, basically because I could pop over to Fairfield and fish a few hours after work occasionally. I'm close to Limestone but do not like it at all. Saltwater fishing is probably worse than Bass fishing these days, I know back in my Houston days it was getting ridiculous, that's back when a GCCA sticker became a status symbol. Might be time to take up bowling....the few alleys left always look empty...lol

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: WLBDallas] #14921235 12/08/23 03:51 AM
Nathan Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
WLBDallas "I’m a die hard conservative"

Dude that's a Trump top water lure!!!! Imagine the angry woke fish you could catch with that. Maybe you could catch a talking fish that could repeat all of your "facts"... I mean fake news / deep state talking points. Trump bad !!!! Orange devil!!!
Bush good !!!! Desantis good!!! Pence good!!! Romney good!!! McCain good!!! January 6 was an insurrection!!!! JFK--RFK--MLK were all killed by lone gunmen!!!! etc....

Fortunately I have lived long enough to see and realize it's all BS. Here's my advice, be extremely suspicious anytime the media talking heads are villianizing anyone, the more they do, the more you should not believe what they're saying.

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: RPD] #14921238 12/08/23 04:09 AM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
The state is going to be on top of things the next time!

Great. We lost an outstanding lake. How exactly is the state going to make that up to us? Build another lake, fill it with grass and fish, and build a park on it? Ha ha ha. That's a good one. No one on this board will be alive to fish alleged Lake Columbia if and when it opens. Bois D'arc will be overrun by throngs of people, which isn't surprising considering it will be the first new lake to open since Moses was a boy.

Maybe we can find an area to build a lake that isn't home to a rare bird or insect, and won't take decades to pass all the environmental impact studies and lawsuits that block every project. I'd say the odds are no worse than 1 in 500.

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: Razorback] #14921246 12/08/23 04:36 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by Razorback

Great. We lost an outstanding lake. How exactly is the state going to make that up to us? Build another lake, fill it with grass and fish, and build a park on it? Ha ha ha. That's a good one. No one on this board will be alive to fish alleged Lake Columbia if and when it opens. Bois D'arc will be overrun by throngs of people, which isn't surprising considering it will be the first new lake to open since Moses was a boy.

Maybe we can find an area to build a lake that isn't home to a rare bird or insect, and won't take decades to pass all the environmental impact studies and lawsuits that block every project. I'd say the odds are no worse than 1 in 500.

then its unanimous, Lake Columbia should be the next lake built... what is the state waiting on? roflmao cheers

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: Nathan Bass] #14921470 12/08/23 03:13 PM
WLBDallas Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by Nathan Bass
WLBDallas "I’m a die hard conservative"

Dude that's a Trump top water lure!!!! Imagine the angry woke fish you could catch with that. Maybe you could catch a talking fish that could repeat all of your "facts"... I mean fake news / deep state talking points. Trump bad !!!! Orange devil!!!
Bush good !!!! Desantis good!!! Pence good!!! Romney good!!! McCain good!!! January 6 was an insurrection!!!! JFK--RFK--MLK were all killed by lone gunmen!!!! etc....

Fortunately I have lived long enough to see and realize it's all BS. Here's my advice, be extremely suspicious anytime the media talking heads are villianizing anyone, the more they do, the more you should not believe what they're saying.

I don’t care what the media says, I judge a man based on how they treat people. I’ve never respected a bully or a narcissist and never will. Hate to see Fairfield go. Great fishery.

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: Rayzor] #14921721 12/08/23 06:28 PM
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

I was wondering about Houston county and limestone these days guess it’s not worth a trip?
Well guess I’ll just start fishing for R C for hybrids and whites next year lol
J. D

Last edited by basscaster46; 12/08/23 06:34 PM.

I got all day I’m retired
Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: Nathan Bass] #14921870 12/08/23 09:15 PM
W
wabash2015 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W

I agree 100%....It's almost impossible to build a new lake because of all the red tape. The last thing we should do is lose public lakes, Fairfield and Gibbons included, issues like that should be priority #1 at TPWD and the State capital. The China virus basically decimated the fish population while everyone was off and on the water, heck the lure isle at Academy was ransacked like a Toys R Us on Christmas eve. Like you said, what to do??? I have a ton of money tied up in Bass fishing, basically because I could pop over to Fairfield and fish a few hours after work occasionally. I'm close to Limestone but do not like it at all. Saltwater fishing is probably worse than Bass fishing these days, I know back in my Houston days it was getting ridiculous, that's back when a GCCA sticker became a status symbol. Might be time to take up bowling....the few alleys left always look empty...lol

Here around DFW the lakes are beat to hell with pressure and pleasure boaters. Doesn't help that alot of the lake levels fluctuate and TPWD sprays any shred of vegetation they can find. I'm your in boat, I've started looking at other hobbies to occupy my time.

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: RPD] #14921934 12/08/23 10:12 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
fairfield didnt go anywhere the man bought all the property around it an he gets to decide who an when comes an goes like squaw creek an high fenced ranches the folks that foot the bill gets to decide. this happens when you grow the sport without growing more fishing holes .

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: wabash2015] #14922019 12/09/23 12:18 AM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by wabash2015

Here around DFW the lakes are beat to hell with pressure and pleasure boaters. Doesn't help that alot of the lake levels fluctuate and TPWD sprays any shred of vegetation they can find. I'm your in boat, I've started looking at other hobbies to occupy my time.

I like all the DFW lakes

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: RPD] #14922040 12/09/23 12:51 AM
Nathan Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I’m sure one of these TFF guys has the money to buy access to Fairfield and will be gracious enough to post the gate code for all of us to get in and drop his name with the guard….lol

In the meantime I will be studying this commercial so I blend in.

https://youtu.be/tvDazrJuSdA?si=h2YZRmisX0N1UWiH

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: RPD] #14922093 12/09/23 02:30 AM
B
BROWNING STRONG Offline
Angler
Angler
B
'Having the judge-appointed commission value the Central Texas acreage at four times what another buyer paid for it six months ago raises some serious questions, said James King, director at King Land & Water, who has decades of experience brokering land throughout Texas.
"Common sense tells you that was a ridiculous appraisal," King told CoStar News. "If this is what the land is worth, how does the seller feel? If they sold it to this developer at below-market value, it could be something the IRS would be interested in to see if there's any fraud and what the property is truly worth."
This appraisal was likely completed in a "very subjective process," and it also would be interesting to see whether the appraisal would be used for tax purposes, said King, who was not involved with the deal. The United States has been cracking down on "bogus appraisals" that have been coupled with charitable deduction benefits with various conservation easements, King said.
"The IRS has clamped down on the appraisal process, but there's some stink here that needs to be looked at," he added.'

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: BROWNING STRONG] #14922104 12/09/23 02:53 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by BROWNING STRONG
'Having the judge-appointed commission value the Central Texas acreage at four times what another buyer paid for it six months ago raises some serious questions, said James King, director at King Land & Water, who has decades of experience brokering land throughout Texas.
"Common sense tells you that was a ridiculous appraisal," King told CoStar News. "If this is what the land is worth, how does the seller feel? If they sold it to this developer at below-market value, it could be something the IRS would be interested in to see if there's any fraud and what the property is truly worth."
This appraisal was likely completed in a "very subjective process," and it also would be interesting to see whether the appraisal would be used for tax purposes, said King, who was not involved with the deal. The United States has been cracking down on "bogus appraisals" that have been coupled with charitable deduction benefits with various conservation easements, King said.
"The IRS has clamped down on the appraisal process, but there's some stink here that needs to be looked at," he added.'

I will be the first to predict nothing will EVER come of this either. That was just another blip from King trying to get his name out there along with the rest.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: Razorback] #14922525 12/09/23 04:40 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Razorback

Its really not about making it up. They should go forward and use the money allotted to make more state parks available.
They just got involved after the land was sold and the value raised. They just plain didn't think straight in my opinion. They could have had it for 125m and instead decided they could get it for less using eminent domain.

Re: FAIRFIELD, things are about to get interesting [Re: RPD] #14922568 12/09/23 05:16 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
In typical fashion, many elected and appointed government representatives and officials lose a concept of reality when they enter a world of utilizing other peoples’ money (tax payers) and governmental time frames (weekends, all holidays off, we are professional campaigners except for the few days a year when our committee meets to mostly discuss the previous meeting and coordinate the next one). Bureaucracy + entitlement + ignorant laziness + areas of suspicion.

[Linked Image]
Page 145 of 152 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 151 152
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide