Print Thread
Dumb question, or maybe not #14909420 11/26/23 04:48 PM
Z
z289sec Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Z
Fishing a new to me lake Friday, and going off where I thought the fish would be. In submerged timber, of a windblown area where lots of baitfish were present, the general depth was15-20 foot of water, Temp was 60-62. Really wasn't seeing a lot of fish on the screen but did see some.

Using the common variety of baits, was only able to pull one Blue, a 2-3 lb eater size out. Spoke to some other guys at the ramp, that were fishing the exact same scenario, but on the other side of the lake. They hammered them, all morning.

Question is, why would one area hold way more fish, if the conditions were relatively the same? Denser Timber maybe? Thicker concentration of bait? I was fishing a more Northern side, they were fishing a more Southern side, Lake is V shaped. Wind was out of the East, had been out of the East Southeast the day before, and the Southeast the day prior to that.

Next time out, I'll try the other side.

Forgot to add, we were spot locked over and around trees, and dropped soured wheat in a couple spots as well.

Last edited by z289sec; 11/26/23 04:52 PM.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Dumb question, or maybe not [Re: z289sec] #14909453 11/26/23 05:11 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Gotta fish the fish and not the area. Just because fish are relating to a certain type of structure doesn’t mean they will be at every spot with that type of structure. 90% of the fish will be in 10% of the water. If you’re seeing the bait relating to a certain depth or type of structure then move around the lake checking those types of areas with your electronics until you start marking good fish.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Dumb question, or maybe not [Re: z289sec] #14909548 11/26/23 07:02 PM
David Welcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
When going to a new lake, chum at least 3 areas, in 3 spots that are a little different, Go back to the 1st area, give it 20 minutes, if no action chum and move to spot 2, when those fish stop bitting, chum and go to spot 3, once they stop bitting there, chum and repeat, the longer that chum is in the water the farther they will come. You will get a good idea on where they are.

Re: Dumb question, or maybe not [Re: David Welcher] #14910106 11/27/23 04:13 AM
Z
z289sec Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by David Welcher
When going to a new lake, chum at least 3 areas, in 3 spots that are a little different, Go back to the 1st area, give it 20 minutes, if no action chum and move to spot 2, when those fish stop bitting, chum and go to spot 3, once they stop bitting there, chum and repeat, the longer that chum is in the water the farther they will come. You will get a good idea on where they are.

That's what we did.

Re: Dumb question, or maybe not [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14910109 11/27/23 04:16 AM
Z
z289sec Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀
Gotta fish the fish and not the area. Just because fish are relating to a certain type of structure doesn’t mean they will be at every spot with that type of structure. 90% of the fish will be in 10% of the water. If you’re seeing the bait relating to a certain depth or type of structure then move around the lake checking those types of areas with your electronics until you start marking good fish.

We looked for fish before we started fishing. Marked some catfish hugging the bottom in areas where we fished. Bait was there, but heavier pockets were in the main lake, but for some reason the ones in the main lake had no fish around them at all. Had to go up in the timber to start marking fish.

Re: Dumb question, or maybe not [Re: z289sec] #14912080 11/29/23 11:50 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
As Azul stated fish the fish not just the structure/location.

One thing I have learned is they move around, A LOT! I have seen a ton of fish and caught them in one spot one day, came back the next day and they have all done a Houdini disappearing act.

The other challenge is just because they are in one spot doesn't mean they are chowing down.

I went out on Monday, it was real cold, and I thought they would be down in the deeper water. They were, stacked up, but I could I get bit?

Nope. They weren't interested at all in my fresh and bloody cut baits. I spent no less than six hours bobbing around like a fool with nothing but 3 tiny box fish to show for it.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Dumb question, or maybe not [Re: z289sec] #14912779 11/30/23 12:52 AM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Wondering what the water temperature was where they were? Any current difference, etc. Something turned the fish on at one spot and not the other... that is the learning game.

Or, maybe you luck is about as bad as mine!

Keep up the good fight, it will get better.

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: Dumb question, or maybe not [Re: z289sec] #14913143 11/30/23 01:23 PM
S
skeetmaster Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
S
One thing I've learned in the last couple of years is that blue cats seem to roam in "pods". There will be any number of these pods in different areas of the lake at different times. I believe these pods will be different in overall size based on the time of year as well. During the winter, I think they get fairly large in size. I believe these pods will have similar sized fish in them. I may be way off here, but this is just a theory and usually, as soon as I come up with a theory, I get proved wrong pretty quickly.

There are days that I will catch quite a few fish in the 5-12 pound range and then there are days that I will catch quite a few in the 20-40 pound range. Now, I'll catch a few smaller fish in these areas but generally, they seem to be similar in size. I think this changes in the spring and maybe early fall. If you learn what to look for on your graph, you can usually find fishable areas. I think that once you get pretty good at identifying fish with your graph, you can really increase your catch rate. Now, that being said, I've found plenty of good looking areas on my graph and not done well at all. I just think that you can cut down on your skunk rate.

Another thing is, you need to have a plan before you go. If I'm fishing a new lake, I'll look at my Navionics map of the lake and try to determine a number of places to look once I get there based on the time of year and the weather. If it's fall or winter and it's been cold for quite a few days, I'm probably going to be looking in at least 20-30 feet of water. If it's been pretty warm for quite a few days, I'll look for main lake flats that are pretty shallow in relation to the surrounding water. Shad like to get really shallow during warm sunny days but I believe they'll stay fairly close to deeper water. Radiant heating on the bottom will give them an area that's a few degrees warmer. For example, this is a lake I've never fished before.....

[Linked Image]

After a few days of really warm weather, this is one area I would look. The following pic is the same area, just zoomed in. The red circle is where I would look if it was really warm weather. That area is around 5-8 feet deep with 20 feet depth pretty close by. If it was cold, I would look in the yellow area which is around 20 feet deep.....

[Linked Image]

Now, there may be a number of guys on here that totally disagree with me but my catch rate has sky-rocketed in the last year. Give yourself a number of options and stick to a plan. Set time limits on what you are doing and where you are doing it. Don't expect to be able to go to a new lake and get on fish right away. Experience on a specific lake is invaluable but general knowledge is tremendously helpful in putting your plan together.

Re: Dumb question, or maybe not [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14916481 12/03/23 04:27 PM
Z
z289sec Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by Bluecat Bob
As Azul stated fish the fish not just the structure/location.

One thing I have learned is they move around, A LOT! I have seen a ton of fish and caught them in one spot one day, came back the next day and they have all done a Houdini disappearing act.

The other challenge is just because they are in one spot doesn't mean they are chowing down.

I went out on Monday, it was real cold, and I thought they would be down in the deeper water. They were, stacked up, but I could I get bit?

Nope. They weren't interested at all in my fresh and bloody cut baits. I spent no less than six hours bobbing around like a fool with nothing but 3 tiny box fish to show for it.

Water temps were inside a half a degree from the side we were on to the other. But, I believe I may have found the answer. For some reason, the Cormorants roost over on that side, in the timber, but not the other. I'm assuming to stay out of the North Wind. And as well all know, the blues will stay stuck under Cormorants all winter pretty much, if the water temps are good for it.

Re: Dumb question, or maybe not [Re: skeetmaster] #14916484 12/03/23 04:28 PM
Z
z289sec Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by skeetmaster
One thing I've learned in the last couple of years is that blue cats seem to roam in "pods". There will be any number of these pods in different areas of the lake at different times. I believe these pods will be different in overall size based on the time of year as well. During the winter, I think they get fairly large in size. I believe these pods will have similar sized fish in them. I may be way off here, but this is just a theory and usually, as soon as I come up with a theory, I get proved wrong pretty quickly.

There are days that I will catch quite a few fish in the 5-12 pound range and then there are days that I will catch quite a few in the 20-40 pound range. Now, I'll catch a few smaller fish in these areas but generally, they seem to be similar in size. I think this changes in the spring and maybe early fall. If you learn what to look for on your graph, you can usually find fishable areas. I think that once you get pretty good at identifying fish with your graph, you can really increase your catch rate. Now, that being said, I've found plenty of good looking areas on my graph and not done well at all. I just think that you can cut down on your skunk rate.

Another thing is, you need to have a plan before you go. If I'm fishing a new lake, I'll look at my Navionics map of the lake and try to determine a number of places to look once I get there based on the time of year and the weather. If it's fall or winter and it's been cold for quite a few days, I'm probably going to be looking in at least 20-30 feet of water. If it's been pretty warm for quite a few days, I'll look for main lake flats that are pretty shallow in relation to the surrounding water. Shad like to get really shallow during warm sunny days but I believe they'll stay fairly close to deeper water. Radiant heating on the bottom will give them an area that's a few degrees warmer. For example, this is a lake I've never fished before.....

[Linked Image]

After a few days of really warm weather, this is one area I would look. The following pic is the same area, just zoomed in. The red circle is where I would look if it was really warm weather. That area is around 5-8 feet deep with 20 feet depth pretty close by. If it was cold, I would look in the yellow area which is around 20 feet deep.....

[Linked Image]

Now, there may be a number of guys on here that totally disagree with me but my catch rate has sky-rocketed in the last year. Give yourself a number of options and stick to a plan. Set time limits on what you are doing and where you are doing it. Don't expect to be able to go to a new lake and get on fish right away. Experience on a specific lake is invaluable but general knowledge is tremendously helpful in putting your plan together.

I agree with the pod theory, mainly because I have found that they also have travel corridors that they use every day too. In Eagle Mountain from dawn till around 9:30 or so, all seasons of the year, there is one spot, you can watch them move through, and sit there and catch them, all morning long. AT full pool, this spot is around 20-25 foot, which puts it at or just above the summer thermocline in Eagle Mountain, it's also on a ledge, at the turn radius of a point. And similarly, you will catch them in group sizes. You'll have a run of 2-3 lb fish, a run of 5-7 lb fish, and a run of 10-12 lb fish. Occasionally there will be a teener or a close to twenty in there, but generally I think the larger fish are either a lot more of a loner, or travel in smaller groups, separated from the main groups.

Last edited by z289sec; 12/03/23 04:35 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide