Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Women in tournaments [Re: Allison1] #14912235 11/29/23 02:11 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Allison1
It is probably the lack of lady fisherman fishing day in and out.
How many do you see on the lake captaining a boat.

Its like asking a small high school to compete with a large high school in sports. Shear numbers.
If they want more competitive lady fishermen you have more of them interested in bass fishing.

Exactly! I wouldn't put it past Boyd to find a way to get a few women in the BPT. That sounds like something he would do in a second if he thought they could make money off of it. As to a woman running the gauntlet that is the Bassmaster Opens and coming out top 9, I don't see any woman accomplishing that any time soon. I think a woman can do it both physically and mentally, but statistically its a major major long shot based on the simple numbers of women trying to fish professionally. I will say this though, if a woman ever does qualify, the sponsorship money will likely be abundant.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Women in tournaments [Re: LunkerXpress] #14912244 11/29/23 02:19 PM
L
LunkerXpress Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
That is my thought or concern. The best guys in the world are out there fighting tooth and nail for the few sponsorship dollars that are available. Guys that paid their dues long ago. But as soon as a female even remotely "makes it" she will have the whole industry throwing money at her. Because equality or whatever. If I had to guess, Trait was making more off of those cheap Walmart rods than Chris was making combined.

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: grandbassslayer] #14912256 11/29/23 02:31 PM
J
joebass2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by Outlaw Outdoors
The physical part of it tough. It's hard for a woman to handle all responsibilities of what a full day entails. I mean everything from hooking up the boat to launching alone to standing up all day running the trolling motor to getting fish out of the live well by yourself to overcoming any repairs that happen along the way. It's hard. I'm not saying there aren't women that can do it...I'm just saying they are few and far in between. As someone said above, woman are also driven by different things. I mean, really, how many woman will actually go sit in a boat all day in the rain in 40° weather? or on a blue bird day in 105°?

I probably fish with the best female on Rayburn, and there is no way she could get up at 5:00am and do all the necessary things required to end the day back home at 5:00pm day in and day out. Can she catch fish? Absolutely, but that's a long ways from handling days by herself. Stephanie Hemphill Pellerin is about as rare as they come - travels by herself, fishes multiple days by herself, etc. She doesn't get the respect she deserves. Will she ever fish The Classic? I'd have to say no. I know lots of guys that fish good, but they'll never make The Classic. That's a whole different level.

I don't think we will ever see a naturally born woman win The Classic. This could open a whole new can of worms....

lol the physical part? Look at most anglers- professional bowlers are in better shape, half the field wouldn’t qualify for life insurance unless they bought it from Big Lou.

LOL, agree. However, it would require a strong neck and back to look down at FFS all day........
bolt

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: LunkerXpress] #14912297 11/29/23 03:20 PM
C_Fisher Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
look out, there's girls coming up through the sport!

[Linked Image]

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: LunkerXpress] #14912310 11/29/23 03:27 PM
G
grandbassslayer Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by LunkerXpress
That is my thought or concern. The best guys in the world are out there fighting tooth and nail for the few sponsorship dollars that are available. Guys that paid their dues long ago. But as soon as a female even remotely "makes it" she will have the whole industry throwing money at her. Because equality or whatever. If I had to guess, Trait was making more off of those cheap Walmart rods than Chris was making combined.

I don’t understand the rationale of “paying your dues”- companies decide who to pay based on ROI, as it should be.

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: grandbassslayer] #14912319 11/29/23 03:32 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak

I don’t understand the rationale of “paying your dues”- companies decide who to pay based on ROI, as it should be.

Yep. Like I said earlier the days of getting paid just to go fishing are about over in the industry.

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: grandbassslayer] #14912342 11/29/23 03:51 PM
L
LunkerXpress Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L

People who have been fishing big tournaments for years and are well known names in the industry. There are a lot of them, some of whom get product but don't get cash. I don't think a female will make the Elites, at least in the foreseeable future, but watch how much money gets thrown at them if/when it happens just because it's a woman. And it will be the same sponsors who are now telling their pro's that they just dont have money...

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: LunkerXpress] #14912438 11/29/23 05:42 PM
S
shanetx Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S

People who have been fishing big tournaments for years and are well known names in the industry. There are a lot of them, some of whom get product but don't get cash. I don't think a female will make the Elites, at least in the foreseeable future, but watch how much money gets thrown at them if/when it happens just because it's a woman. And it will be the same sponsors who are now telling their pro's that they just dont have money...

So say you own a cheese burger stand. Your customers are 90% male. If i have a new TV ad with a guy lead - may get 1 new customer because you have that market on lock already. Now have an ad with a female - can grow my customer base demographic.

So yes of course they will. Not because it is a girl but because it offers return on investment, grow demographics.

Correct sponsors dont have money to spend on the same old thing cause they see it not providing results. In business you try something new, the next thing, evolve.

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: C_Fisher] #14912463 11/29/23 06:08 PM
Der Vorsteher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by C_Fisher

[Linked Image]

Pecos Tally, now that's a name!

Team Wolfs
Re: Women in tournaments [Re: C_Fisher] #14912478 11/29/23 06:26 PM
L
LunkerXpress Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L

[Linked Image]

This is high school. Which pretty much tells me the girls have a good boat Captain...

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: LunkerXpress] #14912499 11/29/23 06:56 PM
Walls Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

[Linked Image]

This is high school. Which pretty much tells me the girls have a good boat Captain...

You ever captained a high school team? I can't tell you how many times I put my teams on fish and they could NOT catch them. Two times in particular in SETX I picked up a rod, made a couple casts with exactly what they were throwing and caught a fish. One of the first things you learn as a HS captain is that you can put them on fish (location and pattern), but that does not mean they have the skill/experience to catch them.

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: Walls] #14912501 11/29/23 06:59 PM
C_Fisher Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Walls

[Linked Image]

You ever captained a high school team? I can't tell you how many times I put my teams on fish and they could NOT catch them. Two times in particular in SETX I picked up a rod, made a couple casts with exactly what they were throwing and caught a fish. One of the first things you learn as a HS captain is that you can put them on fish (location and pattern), but that does not mean they have the skill/experience to catch them.

exactly! i know those 2 girls sitting at the top and can tell you they can catch them. it isn't always about having a "good" captain.

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: LunkerXpress] #14912502 11/29/23 06:59 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
forward facing sonar,mapping and side imaging may allow women and young high school/college kids to compete with experienced fishermen........all those years of fishing experience learning where fish SHOULD BE was one big advantage that men had over women and young fishermen...probably over simplified comparison but give a woman/young guys the right electronics and all they have to do is scan the lake bottom or follow a contour line until they see fish then use a jerkbait or drop shot to catch them...
again electronics especially FFS is a huge game changer in that it allows you to NOT waste time fishing where there aren't any fish... there's the argument that just because you see fish doesn't mean they are going to bite....but...most of us will agree your odds of catching a fish are a lot better than fishing where there ain't any fish.......

incidentally when ESPN owned BASS they let a women's tour champion fish in the classic just to hype the ratings and they caught a few fish but were never in contention for even the top 10....

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: beartrap] #14912507 11/29/23 07:08 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by beartrap
forward facing sonar,mapping and side imaging may allow women and young high school/college kids to compete with experienced fishermen........all those years of fishing experience learning where fish SHOULD BE was one big advantage that men had over women and young fishermen...probably over simplified comparison but give a woman/young guys the right electronics and all they have to do is scan the lake bottom or follow a contour line until they see fish then use a jerkbait or drop shot to catch them...
again electronics especially FFS is a huge game changer in that it allows you to NOT waste time fishing where there aren't any fish... there's the argument that just because you see fish doesn't mean they are going to bite....but...most of us will agree your odds of catching a fish are a lot better than fishing where there ain't any fish.......

incidentally when ESPN owned BASS they let a women's tour champion fish in the classic just to hype the ratings and they caught a few fish but were never in contention for even the top 10....

Believe she finished last or second to last. They spent some time trying to hype her up during the event and the finish was dismal.

Re: Women in tournaments [Re: LunkerXpress] #14912515 11/29/23 07:14 PM
A
avid_basser Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
I know several ladies, including a few that post on here who could out fish several of you on here talking trash. Women have been in fishing for years and they aren't taking a backseat anytime soon.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide