Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Success today with a different BoBlade #14836324 09/12/23 09:47 PM
Dennis Christian Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Friend Graham and I fished CC today from 7 AM until 2:15 PM. We bumped into Fastguy out on the water (BTW happy birthday George!), and he handed me a shipment of assorted BoBlades from Mark Bovee. I tied on one like Fastguy and Gene used on Tawakoni last week. I had a Panther Martin #4 silver inline spinner on a 2nd rod and a #1 Mepps on another. For most of the day, I did best on the Panther Martin and caught a few on the Mepps, but I had not gotten a bite of the BoBlade even though I could see fish on the side-scan as I reeled it through them. By noon we had about 20 white bass, 3 legal hybrids and 4 short ones.

Then we went to Saint Annes East and saw the most fish we had seen all day and started catching fish on 1/4 to 3/4 of our casts. I was having good success with the Panther Martin, but put it down to see if I could catch them with the BoBlade. Not a bite. So, I looked at the variety of BoBlades I got from George earlier and tied on a smaller version that had a yellow body and a silver trailing blade. Boom, I started catching fish on every cast and at first most were hybrids. I suggested Graham get one like it and put on his line. He did but did not get bit. Turns out he put a chartreuse one on, same size and same silver spinner blade. I tried to catch one on it but couldn't either. So, Graham tied a yellow body BoBlade on identical to the one I was using and he started catching them too. We fished the last two hours with those baits and as long as we were on fish caught one almost every cast. We ended up with 131:100 whites, 8 legal hybrids, 9 shorts, 6 cats, 6 yellow bass, and 2 drum. We decided to stop when we got to 100 whites but were still catching on every cast.

Here is a picture of the assortment of BoBlades George handed me. The BoBlade I started with was the 3rd one from the bottom. The BoBlade I used when we started catching on every cast is the bottom one. The 2nd picture compares those two BoBlades. The 3rd picture compares these two BoBlades with the Panther Martin and a #4 Mepps Aglia spinner to give you a perspective of the relative sizes of the baits.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't know what Mark calls the one we caught fish on. Maybe he can comment on how it is identified for any who want to order some. On that lure we caught a variety of fish: white bass, hybrids, catfish, yellow bass, and drum. I have included some pics of some of the legal hybrids we caught and Graham's 24-inch blue all caught on the Boblade.

We found the best concentration of fish on Saint Annes Point East and Flagpole Point.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dennis Christian; 09/12/23 10:21 PM.
Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14836371 09/12/23 10:48 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
So very helpful data and love this. Mucho thanks, DC and what a great catching day especially with the finicky pattern we are in right now where most resort to trolling clap

Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14836565 09/13/23 03:20 AM
A
ATM97 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Awesome report and incredible catching Dennis!

Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14836690 09/13/23 12:11 PM
Dognot Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
We found the best concentration of fish on Saint Annes Point East and Flagpole Point.

Don't be surprised if there is a boat show there later this week.

Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14836917 09/13/23 03:31 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Doggo-not: As a matter of practice to help fellow fishermen, especially weekenders who don't get to fish all the time like I do, I always share where and how I catch fish. There are so many good fishing structures on Cedar Creek and other lakes I fish, if I go to a spot I have mentioned and someone is already there, I just go to other structures. I figure 99% of the time I am either not fishing or not fishing at that spot. There is little lost in sharing and much help provided to others who need all the tips they can get. For me, this is an obvious behavior for one who is a follower of Jesus and His teaching of the Golden Rule. For this same reason, if anyone sees me catching fish, they are welcome to come fish alongside me.

Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14836994 09/13/23 04:58 PM
W
Windbreaker Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Thanks for the great info Dennis! I’m already trying to find ways to make my own Bo-blade look-alike and use it like you have noted above.

Dennis, if you don’t mind me asking, What was the best retrieval pattern?

[Linked Image]
Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14837003 09/13/23 05:09 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Once on the bottom, take up the slack and reel medium fast with rod either to the side, held down, or pointing at the line for 5 to 8 turns of the reel handle. Then hit the release button and when it gets back to the bottom repeat. I use my 8.3 to 1 reel with full spool to make it easier to reel fast. Keeping it close to the bottom is better, so set up to make longer casts and drag the lure low along the bottom. Maybe George or Gene can add something. They have it down pretty well.

Last edited by Dennis Christian; 09/13/23 05:14 PM.
Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14837288 09/13/23 10:30 PM
M
ML56 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
You're a good man Dennis C thumb thumb

See Me for a SPLASHER PROP Mike @ 979 two ,five, one, 62, thirty five or web page https://my-site-103001.square.site
Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14837539 09/14/23 02:55 AM
CHAMPION FISH Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
The Boblade was working pretty good for us today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What I have found out is you have to figure out the speed of retrieval the fish want it and how close to the bottom of the lake they want it. Sometimes it’s a slow retrieve with just 1-3 cranks of the handle or if they want it higher at the same slow speed, it’s 7-8 slow cranks which gets it off of the bottom more.
Sometimes it’s a really fast retrieve but still close to the bottom or a real fast retrieve with 7-8 cranks that gets the lure higher in the water column. A lot of times you can look at the shadow the hard return of the fish is displaying on your graph screen and pretty closely tell how high in the water column the fish are.
I agree with Dennis, sometimes the color will make a difference. Today it was chartreuse color with a chrome blade, that was the best color combination to get bites today.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14837593 09/14/23 10:23 AM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Thanks, Gene, good tips. I tested the next two sizes up from the smallest (.8 oz) BoBlade yesterday - yellow body and silver spinner.. The next size up caught fewer but more hybrids and the biggest got no bites.

Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14852488 10/01/23 07:21 AM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Yesterday I went out and found some fish and tested the various BoBlades to see if I could catch them on various colors and sizes. In the past couple of weeks, I had been catching fish on the smallest yellow one with silver spinner, so I started with that one and did well. Then I tried the largest yellow one with silver spinner and caught a few. I switched to the largest chartreuse with silver spinner and did as well as the small yellow one. Next I tried the largest chartreuse with yellow spinner and it didn't catch much. I managed one working it very fast with short bursts of retrieves, and it was a short hybrid. I would switch back to the large chartreuse with silver spinner occasionally to make sure I was on catchable fish. Next I tried the chartreuse mid-size with silver spinner and on the first cast caught the only legal sized hybrid - a 22 1/2 inch one. This one worked as well as the large chartreuse one with silver spinner. Bottom line, on this day chartreuse with silver spinner of both large and mid size worked best in addition to the yelllow smallest BoBlade with silver spinner. In 3 hours of testing I caught 50 whites, 3 cats , and the two hybrids. All but 4 were on the BoBlades. I caught two of the four testing a large Panther Martin spinner and two testing a large GayBlade. I did all the testing on a hump with the high spot in 18 fow.

Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14853888 10/02/23 07:42 PM
4x4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Hey Dennis, great post , I took my grandson to Tawakoni last Friday and caught over 100 fish using the small yellow BOBlade , while everyone else was trolling . I also believe keeping the rod down and pointed at the line made a big difference . My grandson had a great day

Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14854074 10/02/23 11:55 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Nice thread. Also nice fish. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Success today with a different BoBlade [Re: Dennis Christian] #14855135 10/03/23 11:31 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
4X4: Great to hear your grandson caught lots of fish. Nothing better than fishing with grandkids! Thanks for sharing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide