Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14818900 08/21/23 08:14 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Fished with my fishing mentor today. We fished for the green fish until about noon. Tough bite today, saw some isolated small schools of sandbass on the North Bank just west of the big hotel/cranes. The small cove had some bait being pushed up shallow by small Sandies. We checked the hump south west of the crusher and caught maybe 20 before it stopped. We checked the humps north of the crusher and it was a ghost town. Crappie are stacked on brush, but they are hard to get on the hook.

Hotter than a bank robbers pistol out there by 1pm. If you don't have the right gear to wear, your rolling the dice. I got hung up with a crankbait while my buddy was fishing for crappie, so I swam over and got the bait unhung to get my clothes wet. Water feels so good, and will recharge your batteries very quickly.

Mr. B caught some Magnum crappie today. Saw the biggest black crappie I have seen on GV today, he caught it on. Worm. Going to go back in the morning and fish some before cleaning out a swim area..

The best thing about TFF, is that I have met so many people on grapevine. Thanks all.

Take care all.

Last edited by prosise; 08/21/23 08:25 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14819663 08/22/23 02:52 PM
S
Slacklinedime Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Bit of a delayed post. Went out Saturday night on the hunt for cats set some jugs around Rocky Point and let them chill for a bit. Went to humps and like Prosise said it was a ghost town hit a few other spots and same thing. Last spot we hit was just outside of Twin Coves and got into some good Crappie put about 15 keepers in the well. Went and checked on the jugs 7 out of 9 had good eater blues on them. We reset and did some drifting got 3 more blues in about an hour or so. Went back to check the jugs and 3 out of 9 had blues on them. So, when picking up the jugs we found 8 of the 9 in the same place we left them the last one took us about 2hr to find we set it just off Rocky Point and found it by Murrell Park it had a 4# blue on it dude was on the run!!!

Do something different, you will be surprised what happens.
2020 Xpress H20B
115 Yamaha SHO
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14820037 08/22/23 10:11 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Fished for the green fish this morning from 4-7 mid lake, then went over to Meadomere near the swim area. Caught some but it kind of sucked. Fished for an hour and then cleaned out the swimming area with the metal detector. Found allot of sunglasses today. Yesterday when me and my fishing buddy were on the hump Southwest of the crusher he got hung up on the end. I saved the waypoint on my phone, and after entering it into the depth finder I went right to it. Pulled up a cinder block that was once tied to a Christmas tree. I got his jigging spoon, and then caught a couple of sandbass. It was slow on the humps on the upper end. Not much to share on the Sandbass, the early bite is good if you look around, but the bigger fish seem to be staying in the 16-18 ft range in the Meadomere area. The easy guide for Meadomere is, head right for the swim beach and the no wake buoy is the starting point. Just adjust shallower or deeper from that buoy. Working the next 4 days, hot as Hades out there, keep your clothing wet and stay hydrated. 1.5 gallons of fluids today, and I stayed cool. But metal detecting up to my neck, is rather refreshing.

I was gifted two inline spinners (Hey bud). fishing the white behind a small silver spoon, and tinkering with the chartreuse attached to a heavier spoon to get it down fast (testing). Fishing these about 30% of the time, and they are a good tool to get a reaction bite when covering water. I am fishing a bigger shad slab that looks just like a shad (see pic of me holding a shad in my hand from Sunday) when I'm sniping as it sinks real fast, and I can snipe them from far off. Dog days of summer are in full force, and there is so much bait in Grapevine. I had a school of small bait run into my chest, as small Sandies were chasing them in 5ft of water today. Was kind of cool being the referee.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 08/22/23 10:34 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14820123 08/23/23 12:42 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Awesome thread. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14820218 08/23/23 03:32 AM
W
Windbreaker Offline
Angler
Angler
W
I'm glad to hear the Heybuds are performing well for you! Thanks for the shoutout!

That is alot of glasses and coinage!

[Linked Image]
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14821754 08/24/23 06:35 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I'm kinda shocked by the qty of 2-way radios.

Last edited by JWC Nauticstar; 08/24/23 06:36 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14821973 08/24/23 09:55 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Wow what a haul Prosie!

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14823407 08/26/23 01:57 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Have you become interested in coins of value ? Some of the " wheat " pennies are worth thousands .

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: gborg] #14823504 08/26/23 03:31 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by gborg
Have you become interested in coins of value ? Some of the " wheat " pennies are worth thousands .

I just throw all the coins in a box for the year, then exchange them for amazon gift cards at coin star. The old pennies get sorted out and are mostly holed up in a container for my son to go thru. Out in the water in sandy areas is even easier, as a metal detector works by creating a electromagnetic field. Since water is conductive, it makes it work even better. Dry ground is harder to work, vs wet soil. I use a Minelab Equinox 800 (amazing), and a Garrett AT Gold (really good) and both are 100% waterproof. I am working areas up to my neck, and some areas I am on my toes. I use a scoop since I cannot reach the item when working in deep water. I was a whites user for the first 20 years tinkering with metal detectors, as they are easy to find used. I would buy a new model every other year, and then sell it to buy another. But working in heavily mineralized soils is a challenge, and if you had a precious metal item sitting next to a small piece of iron it would report a bad signal. I stepped up a little and picked up the Garrett AT Gold, and then the Minelab to work in areas with Hot rocks. I have some areas in and around the lake which have allot of hot rocks (A hot rock is a heavily mineralized rock) which will make most metal detectors go crazy. the minelab will find a precious item sitting next to one of these with no problem. My son does love the wheat pennies, but It is a real suprise when you find the older silver coins. It definitely is tough work, and after a day of digging sand out of the water I feel it. When I am in the water, I can just brush the sand out of my way with my foot.

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14824867 08/28/23 02:18 AM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Whacked then today in meadomere. Right before the storms, and after. Amazing to see rain for a change, and the temps outside feel great. Fished for the green fish until about 10, found some rings, caught Sandies, then did well on the bass after the storms.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 08/28/23 03:02 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14826342 08/29/23 08:49 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Very rewarding day. A local here on TFF told me he lost a rod on Saturday when he was fishing with his wife. He gave me the general area, and I got lucky. I was off a little on the location, but after expanding outward I snagged the line and retrieved the rod/reel and lure. I fishing for the green fish early and caught a real nice Bass (think it might be a mean mouth), 4 smallies, and a massive drum, felt like something from the coast. Did some chores and cleaned the north bank by the dam, the low water is really cool to see. If you want to learn some things about bass fishing, get out and look at the structure along the banks. Second interesting thing was when I caught a fishing reel on a deep diving crankbait. Never have caught a fishing reel alone before. Lake was absolutely beautiful, dead calm today with only a couple wake boats. Small sandbass wolf packs all over the lake. No real info about the Sandbass, didn't fish for them much today. I already notified the suspect that I found his setup. Take care all..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 08/29/23 09:16 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14829545 09/03/23 11:36 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
I want to express a very warm thank you to RKD. I crossed paths with him and his better half today. I returned the rod/reel combo I found that he lost. Was a very rewarding exchange, and a happy ending to that story. He broke the rules when he sneaked gift cards to me in a "Thank You" card. I was metal detecting in the swim area on the south Banks. Lake was a Zoo, and I was glad I wasn't in the boat.

No fishing report..

Last edited by prosise; 09/03/23 11:48 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14830530 09/05/23 05:17 PM
rkd Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Thank you Prosise...you went above and beyond with the "lost" rod/reel. What started off as a story about my dumb mistake ended with a funny "return to sender" note on my rod. (my wife thought that was great!) I got home and the reel which spent a couple of days at the bottom of Grapevine now works better than any other reel I have! The gift cards were just a small token....I think I speak for more than myself when I say thank you for all the great reports, tips, map/GPS locations, etc you so willingly share on this forum. I've definitely had better results/experiences on Grapevine as a result. Keep up the good work and I'll pay it forward on my end.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14831368 09/06/23 10:30 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Fished today from 645am-2pm. Wasn't hitting on all cylinders today, but I talked myself into going. Long story short I was supposed to be on the lake today. I was off the beaten path up the lake, and ran across a local bass fisherman who was overheating. His big motor was dead, and he was in need of assistance. He had already called for help, but asked for help. I got him into my boat, and started dumping buckets of water on him. He cooled down, and we continued this along with some running down the lake for some air. There was no wind, and it was hot! Got him cooled down, and then got him to his contact who was going to tow his boat back to the ramp. The gear you wear needs to be the right stuff. I used to haul hay for a job, and long sleeve cotton shirts were a must. You cannot go out in dark colored clothing in this wx. I have to keep my long sleeve shirt wet, and I'm good. He is good and no issues. Bass fishing is brutal after sunrise, and if you are chasing the green fish go out about 2am and come home around 9am. Sandbass are on fire, found them stacked on the humps north west of the crusher. I was catching smaller fish on the hump, so I put on a 5xd crankbait and ran out over the top of the hump and it was non-stop overs. Really fun. Later in the day found them east of the island (by dove ramp) , did the same thing and caught them every other cast. Ran out of water and headed for the house. Only took 1 gal of Gatorade today. Picked up a garbage bag of trash, found a cheap Bass pro combo, and a Lew's rod/reel combo. I'm almost done with the reel I found from rock ledge, will rebuild the Lew's speed spool next. Seeing the lake so low, is really good info if you like to chase the green fish.
You can learn a ton of info, just looking at exposed rock piles. Take care all, and God Bless.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/06/23 11:19 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14831837 09/07/23 03:48 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Great report!
Is Meadowmere ramp still usable? Planning to take Grandson out Saturday morning and I haven't been out there in a few weeks.

Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide