Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: School me on Galveston [Re: CCTX] #14789109 07/25/23 03:34 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by CCTX
If you must go, cancel all reservations in Galveston and book something nice at Surfside just south of there.

Yes. Jamaica Beach has many very nice Air BnB options. Its not too far from Galveston proper but has a much cooler vibe.

Regardless of where you stay make sure to eat here https://nopalera-grill-galveston.business.site/

One of the best Mexican places I have been to. Complete with mis-matched silver ware, plastic chairs, table clothes that were once some sort of roofing tarp... its excellent.

Re: School me on Galveston [Re: junbengreat] #14789122 07/25/23 03:53 PM
R
Rescue Fire Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I just recently had a drink at The Steakhouse at San Luis w/ Tillman Fertitta there in Galveston.

I can tell you every single thing you wanna know about Galveston.

Re: School me on Galveston [Re: CCTX] #14789124 07/25/23 03:56 PM
S
Space Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
If you must go, cancel all reservations in Galveston and book something nice at Surfside just south of there.
Lots to do in Galveston take the ferry across the bay and back nothing great but a nice trip. Downtown has a lot of places to shop and a couple of very good places to eat. Go to the Space Center just north of there about an hour's drive. I don't remember the name but there is a nice Seafood place on the bay with windows to the bay you can watch the fishing boats go in and out. There is plenty to do in Galveston around downtown, an offshore drilling rig, and the tall sailing ship if it is in port. Lots of things to do in Galveston just asked around.

Stay in Galveston it is better than Surfside could ever hope to be.

Re: School me on Galveston [Re: Space] #14789133 07/25/23 04:03 PM
S
Space Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Space

Lots to do in Galveston take the ferry (walk on don't drive on)across the bay and back nothing great but a nice trip. Downtown has a lot of places to shop and a couple of very good places to eat. Go to the Space Center just north of there about an hour's drive. I don't remember the name but there is a nice Seafood place on the bay with windows to the bay you can watch the fishing boats go in and out. There is plenty to do in Galveston around downtown, an offshore drilling rig, and the tall sailing ship if it is in port just asked around.

Stay in Galveston it is better than Surfside could ever hope to be.

Last edited by Space; 07/25/23 11:33 PM.
Re: School me on Galveston [Re: junbengreat] #14789134 07/25/23 04:05 PM
butch sanders Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
NASA is incredible

Re: School me on Galveston [Re: CCTX] #14789139 07/25/23 04:07 PM
F
fishmagnet Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F

If you have more than three teeth, steer clear of Surfside! cyclop

[Linked Image]

Re: School me on Galveston [Re: junbengreat] #14789141 07/25/23 04:09 PM
T
Trx21 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Used to not be a fan of the place. It has honestly come a long ways in the last few years. I believe between Tilman buying up half the island and covid making vacations closer to home for a few years, they have really revamped a ton of the island. If you time it right the water can be surprisingly clear too.

It's a loaded question because it all depends on where you are staying. We prefer the less crowded stuff towards the south end as well. We were down in June and never had a long wait for a table unlike the other end. San Luis pass is an awesome and a must see IMO, but better take the right vehicle down under the bridge. If you want clear water even for just a day the color changes drastically the closer you ger to Freeport. It was a shocking difference within just a 30 min drive.

Cajun Greek is great.

Gaido's for nice dinner and an old fav of the island. (they redid the hotel next to it as well and it is pretty neat now)

Waterman's by Galveston Country Club for a retreat from the madness and beautiful bayside upscale dinning. (we usually stay in this area) you wouldn't know you weren't in Florida.

Katie's Seafood House in the harbor by the Strand.. Fresh fish from that day, owned by Katie's Seafood Market. Touristy but good. Right on the water with a view of their fleet of fishing boats. You will eat fish caught that day by the boats you are looking at. Pretty cool, looks really neat at night.

Let me know if you need more info. Wife has been in NP school at UTMB for a couple of years so we get to go a few times a year.

Just so the haters know that we get to go used to be we have to go, once we figured the place out it's something we look forward to and its much closer than Destin/30A which is best beach area in the Mainland to most people .

Re: School me on Galveston [Re: junbengreat] #14789145 07/25/23 04:11 PM
T
tx_basser Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
hawt and muggy......

Nothing really luxurious, but there are some decent eats and things to see around there locally. We tend to go to Surfside more in the offseason to relax.

Re: School me on Galveston [Re: junbengreat] #14789146 07/25/23 04:12 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If I have to drive through Houston to get there, its a deal breaker. Lots of places on Texas coast I'd rather be than Galveston.

GOD is good!
Re: School me on Galveston [Re: Floon Swenson] #14789154 07/25/23 04:21 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Floon Swenson
Drive down to San Luis Pass on the south end of the island and you can catch the pants off some sharks down there. Super sharky water right there in the pass. Wild currents, too, in case you get in the water there.

Yep. Be careful wade fishing. I have a house on the pass(treasure island…gulf side) , I get to see someone getting searched for almost every time I’m there. Some very good fishing though. For beach fun, go south towards Surfside. For food, go into lake Jackson

The strand is for the girls to go shopping. Don’t get caught up having to go with them. As for other attractions, I never go to those….I am always heading to Home Depot for stuff to fix the house that’s rusted away since the last trip there. Lol.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: School me on Galveston [Re: Patriot Guard Rider] #14789160 07/25/23 04:24 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider
Ride the ferry over to the Bolivar Peninsula. It's free, just drive on and drive off. There will be a wait. On Bolivar look for signs for Crystal Beach. It will be on your right. Park right on the sand and enjoy. Much better beach area than any of them in Galveston.

Moody Gardens is nice. Aquarium, rainforest, Fun for kids. Look for the big pyramids.

Pleasure Pier sux and is highly overrated. it's also expensive.

Walk along The Strand downtown at night and be sure to stop at La King's Confectionery. Fantastic ice cream and candy shop.

Tia Juanita's in Crystal Beach is. Lights out good. Really good fish tacos but I usually get the seafood enchiladas. Also The Stingaree might be reopened too which is at Crystal but over on the Bay side right on the Intracoastal waterway. Be aware that crossing over on the ferries can involve substantial wait times especially on weekends. Also the topless Jeep weekend has already happened.

Go see the Battleship Texas in drydock also Seawolf Park (in the morning before the sun heats up surfaces) see the only submarine to sink an aircraft carrier in WW2.

I like the harbor side restaurants pretty good too and they are right by The Strand .

Guidos for more upscale dining . . . try the oyster sampler.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: School me on Galveston [Re: junbengreat] #14789166 07/25/23 04:26 PM
rj74955 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
There used to be a couple of anything goes gentlemen’s clubs on the way there, it’s been too long since I’ve been but they were good family fun.

Re: School me on Galveston [Re: Beer Money] #14789177 07/25/23 04:34 PM
J
JCG57 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Beer Money
Originally Posted by HasBen
We always eat at The Cajun Greek when we go to Galveston. It is more a local spot rather than a tourist trap. It’s in a strip center, but don’t let the location bug you. It is really good food. More touristy, but fun, is The Shark Shack and The Spot.

https://cajungreekseafood.com/

https://www.sharkshackbeachbarandgrill.com/

https://www.islandfamous.com/

Cajun Greek is good!
Shrimp 'N Stuff is also good. I prefer the downtown location.

I support both of these recommendations. Also - Benno's for Cajun seafood. For the beach, if you drive southwest toward San Luis Pass past Jamaica Beach there are a couple of spots where you can drive down to the beach and park at Sea Isle and the Rusty Hook Bait Stand - these will be somewhat less crowded than closer to Galveston. If you do drive over the pass to Surfside, the Red Snapper Inn serves an excellent and very reasonably priced fish po-boy, made with red snapper, but only at lunch. If you pass through Lake Jackson, the state aquarium there is free and worth a visit.

Last edited by JCG57; 07/25/23 04:34 PM.
Re: School me on Galveston [Re: junbengreat] #14789185 07/25/23 04:38 PM
R
Rescue Fire Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Going to Galveston is really all about expectations.

Re: School me on Galveston [Re: rj74955] #14789188 07/25/23 04:41 PM
B
Beer Money Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by rj74955
There used to be a couple of anything goes gentlemen’s clubs on the way there, it’s been too long since I’ve been but they were good family fun.

Demitri's or something like that. A friend and I stopped there about 30 yrs ago.
Totally nude. BYOB.
At midnight they had all the girls come out and do $1 lap dances.
I'll never go back.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide