Re: Why did this happen? [Re: GeoFisher] #14737795 06/02/23 04:34 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by GeoFisher
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I am usually on the side of the "rules", but this seems pretty steep. If he failed to pay the fine for not having a fishing license, then I get it completely. If the guy paid the fine and is still being denied a fishing license from another state that participates in this consortium of cooperating states, that is simply wrong. Seems like double jeopardy to me if he has already paid the fine originally issued for not having a license. What about the rest of the Elite tourneys in other states?

It's a state issue though. Nothing BASS can do about it.

I get that. I am all for following the rules. Someone help me out.....Does Tx have this law in place? (1 year suspension of license if caught without a license?) If so, then I digress and have no beef here. If not, then TPWD is enforcing another state's law right? Just seems a bit odd to me that my elected (appointed) governing body is enforcing a non native law from a state 1000 miles away with a population 1/30th the size of Tx.

It's the Interstate Wildlife Violators Compact. Texas is a member.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Wildlife_Violator_Compact#:~:text=The%2048%20IWVC%20member%20states,on%20the%20Governor's%20desk)%2C%20Nevada

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Why did this happen? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14737797 06/02/23 04:35 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones
https://www.wired2fish.com/news/stracner-out-at-sabine-elite-series

Fill me in on why you cannot get a fishing license in Texas. Here in Alabama, you just pay the price and you get a license. Mind you out of state on are rather high but I'm sure that is across the board as that goes.

Maybe he needs an exemption for doing something ignorant (and illegal) and then being passive aggressive to attempt to justify his DQ?

Why are you asking "why did this happen", not to be rude and no offense meant, but are you ignorant? He explains he chose to be irresponsible and broke a law in another state and the state of Texas chooses to hold people accountable.

It's all right there, do you read?

#MFGA
Re: Why did this happen? [Re: Douglas J] #14737804 06/02/23 04:39 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Douglas J

Fill me in on why you cannot get a fishing license in Texas. Here in Alabama, you just pay the price and you get a license. Mind you out of state on are rather high but I'm sure that is across the board as that goes.

Maybe he needs an exemption for doing something ignorant (and illegal) and then being passive aggressive to attempt to justify his DQ?

Why are you asking "why did this happen", not to be rude and no offense meant, but are you ignorant? He explains he chose to be irresponsible and broke a law in another state and the state of Texas chooses to hold people accountable.

Alabama is part of that Interstate Wildlife Violators Compact as well. I guess every state is different in how they handle violators in that agreement.

Re: Why did this happen? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14737830 06/02/23 05:02 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Correct me if I am wrong in this scenario........So in Texas, I can go down to the jetty w/o a license, get a ticket for no license and perhaps be the star of an episode of Lone Star Law, walk across the road to Academy and buy a license for $50, pay my $100 fine for no license at the courthouse the next day, and I am golden.

But......... if I went to one of these other states where they blacklist you for a year and got the same ticket for no license and PAID the fine, TPWD is going to deny me a fishing license to fish Texas waters? Am I missing something here? I am not asking for supporters, just looking for confirmation that this is the way things work.

Last edited by GeoFisher; 06/02/23 05:05 PM.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: Why did this happen? [Re: GeoFisher] #14737840 06/02/23 05:07 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Correct me if I am wrong in this scenario........So in Texas, I can go down to the jetty w/o a license, get a ticket for no license and perhaps be the star of an episode of Lone Star Law, walk across the road to Academy and buy a license for $50, pay my $100 fine for no license at the courthouse the next day, and I am golden.

But......... if I went to one of these other states where they blacklist you for a year and got the same ticket for no license and PAID the fine, TPWD is going to deny me a fishing license to fish Texas waters? Am I missing something here? I am not asking for supporters, just looking for confirmation that this is the way things work.

I honestly don't know. I didn't even know that pact existed until this thread was started.

Re: Why did this happen? [Re: Mark Perry] #14737847 06/02/23 05:15 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

I honestly don't know. I didn't even know that pact existed until this thread was started.

I didn't know either Mark. I have seen GW's write hundreds of Tix for no licenses (bridge fisherman). I cant imagine those people would ever be denied a license in this state for a whole year, especially if they paid the fine.

Re: Why did this happen? [Re: 2014NITROZ-7] #14737863 06/02/23 05:27 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by 2014NITROZ-7
I think because he is a "Pro" he should get a bye and not have to follow the rules a perch jerker has to abide by.

You’re funny

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Why did this happen? [Re: GeoFisher] #14737870 06/02/23 05:32 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S

I think this happens when you leave the state the ticket was issued in, without PAYING THE FINE. I think if he would have went down to the county courthouse in “whatever co”, South Dakota, paid his fine, then went in about his way, this would be a moot point.

But he left the state with business still on the table. It’s the states way of punishing dead beat sportsmen. .

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Why did this happen? [Re: Mark Perry] #14737921 06/02/23 06:08 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Douglas J

Alabama is part of that Interstate Wildlife Violators Compact as well. I guess every state is different in how they handle violators in that agreement.

DF Jones just wants to complain.

The angler posted "why did this happen"

[Linked Image]

#MFGA
Re: Why did this happen? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14737932 06/02/23 06:24 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

I think this happens when you leave the state the ticket was issued in, without PAYING THE FINE. I think if he would have went down to the county courthouse in “whatever co”, South Dakota, paid his fine, then went in about his way, this would be a moot point.

But he left the state with business still on the table. It’s the states way of punishing dead beat sportsmen. .

And I have zero problem with that if the guy failed to take care of his business in whatever state, USA. Even if Tx has to enforce it. I just never saw where it was clarified if the fine was paid or not. With him being an elite series angler, I would hope he would know that would have to catch up with him at some point.

Last edited by GeoFisher; 06/02/23 06:26 PM.

Re: Why did this happen? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14737955 06/02/23 06:43 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
here is what Stracner had to say about the situation where he lost his license in another state.....you be the judge but from his explanation it sounds as if he did not intentionally break South Dakota law nor does it sound like he failed to pay for a license or a ticket in that state..I would like to know the entire story but I find it hard to believe that anyone who fishes professionally and buys licenses in multiple states and would risk their livelihood by trying to save a few dollars by fishing without a license...also the lake he was fishing in (Oahe) covers two states which may or may not have played a part in whether he was ticketed...

“Last year while on a pre-practice trip to another state, I received a ticket for no fishing license ( which is another crazy story) and by that state’s laws that means automatic license loss for one year in that state (which I did not know would happen). So fast forward to now, I found out this week of a law called ‘compact interstate law‘ that a handful of states participate in. Which means if you lose your license in one state, then you lose it in the other states that are part of the compact. So the only choice I had was to notify BASS officials. I couldn’t have dreamed up a situation like this would happen the way it did, but it happened … lol.

Last edited by beartrap; 06/02/23 06:56 PM.
Re: Why did this happen? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14737971 06/02/23 07:04 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The way he makes it sound is that because he did not have a license, he LOSES any current license in all participating states and cant get a new one in a participating state. That is what I read. Like I said before, if he didn't take care of that then it's all on him, but he paid that ticket, that's a bit overboard imo.

Last edited by GeoFisher; 06/02/23 07:05 PM.

Re: Why did this happen? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14737978 06/02/23 07:09 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Just because he makes it sound a certain way, doesn’t mean that’s how it exactly went down.

I wouldn’t get in the internet and say I failed to take care of a ticket. Sho would want to paint that picture for everyone to see?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Why did this happen? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14737987 06/02/23 07:18 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Just because he makes it sound a certain way, doesn’t mean that’s how it exactly went down.

I wouldn’t get in the internet and say I failed to take care of a ticket. Sho would want to paint that picture for everyone to see?

True dat

Re: Why did this happen? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #14738022 06/02/23 08:18 PM
T
tsspencer2887 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
From South Dakota Legislature:
41-6-74.1. Revocation of hunting, fishing, or trapping privilege for conviction of certain offenses.
(3) Violation of any other statute or rule pertaining to fishing, hunting, or possessing game or game fish without a license or during a closed season;

From South Dakota Game, Fish, & Parks:
Nonresident Consequences and Failure to Comply
If you receive a citation for violating one or more of South Dakota's hunting, fishing, or trapping laws and if you fail to comply with the terms of the wildlife citation, the State of South Dakota will formally notify you of your failure to comply. The State of South Dakota will then notify the wildlife agency of the state in which you reside. The wildlife agency of your home state will notify you regarding your failure to comply with the terms of the wildlife citation issued in South Dakota.

After receiving the notification from your home state, if you fail to comply with the terms of the wildlife citation issued in South Dakota, your home state may then initiate suspension of your respective hunting, fishing, or trapping privileges. The suspension of privilege will remain in effect until your home state receives satisfactory evidence from South Dakota that you complied with the terms of the wildlife citation issued in South Dakota. Pending such notification, your respective privileges will be suspended indefinitely in your home state and the other states that comprise the Compact.

If you formally indicate your desire to contest the case in court, the suspension of privileges will not be implemented during the period of time the case is being contested.

I do not know exactly the terms of the citation that he would have needed to comply. Does he fall under the IWVC because he failed to comply with the terms of the citation or because South Dakota revoked his license in that state?

Never-the-less, the entire question would be moot if the "professional" fisherman had properly procured a license in the first place.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide