Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Demon Dragons breaking Record after Record! #14618877 02/03/23 07:37 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Like a lot of y’all, we run Demon Dragon line rattles. I started running them 7 yrs ago when Scott Manning was making them in his kitchen and signing the bottoms. Before that we used a variety of rattles from WS to the ones from Europe for Wells Catfish. Rewind even farther and we would rig popping corks as well as get Zara Spooks at garage sales and cut the hooks off, heck anything to make a little sound Back then guys laughed at the rigs and would argue that catfish aren’t attracted to sound! Well here we are in 2023, and just about every catfish angler in the country is using some form of rattle on their rigs. Now that Tackle Bandits owns Demon Dragons they have invited me onto their Pro-Staff to rep the brand since I’ve been with them from the beginning. My personal favorites are the Demon Dragon Brute Monty’s Madness for my biggest baddest stinger rigged baits and the Hi-Fin Blue Demon Dragon 3,0 for all my other sized baits. My 7 yr old son has broken 8 records with these Demon Dragons in the last 5 months, they work! What makes Demon Dragons different? Dual chambers, multiple sized BBs inside. These things rattle with the slightest movement, you don’t need to shake them, and the Brutes are large enough to float a huge bait!

If y’all haven’t tried them then you are missing out on some big fish. Just ask Catfish Tim how well they perform against the rattle balls style inline rattles. I gave Tim a package last time we fished and he was amazed at how much the big fish preferred them over his usual rattles. Ask Skeetmaster what he thinks, I bet Geno loves em too.

Now you can use discount code ElGato20 at Demon Dragon and get 20% off your order! Come see what all the noise is about.
https://www.demondragons.com/

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀; 02/03/23 02:56 PM.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Demon Dragons breaking Record after Record! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14618958 02/03/23 12:57 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Yup, they are the business for cat'n.

Geno gave me a couple as a gift when we went out on my old boat last year, and I couldn't believe how much they rattle even when you're hooking the bait on your hook in your hand. Now I am 'hooked' on them too, the ONLY downside with them is the price - they aint cheap, but every one of my rigs has them on now.

They are also great floats, easily keeping a good size gizzard off the riff raff on the bottom, and I now no longer have to replace the polystyrene floats every 5 minutes when they fall to bits on your leader. These things are tough!

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Demon Dragons breaking Record after Record! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14619211 02/03/23 03:54 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Well El Gato, thanks for the 20 bucks you just saved me on the order I just now placed. Read this earlier this morning and things here get really weird at times with the wife getting ready for work. But I did finally get my order in on these.

Heck I have a host of Zara Spooks I have had for years, old enough to almost qualify as antique lol, I have as you mentioned cut the hooks off of them, hoping they would help float my baits. That and a inline float. Until recently following you guys here real closely have I been picking up info on how to rig this and start this drifting.

Heck always would try to go up the lake where the rain washes in, after a rain that was big enough for any run off. I would setup there with two anchors and fished like that... No where the results as you guys by any means. Since following you guys here, I have been slowly getting info and things rigged up to better do this drifting...

My next thing I have no idea as to what to expect, this 6' drift sock I got. Never have I ever seen something this size used, I have all sorts of ideas how it gets all wrapped up in the prop too YIKES. So another big learning curve with that, hopefully one that doesn't involve it in my prop too lol.

Anyway, thanks for the 20 bucks you saved me, heck I even got free shipping on the order.

Edit here: BCB, I don't think if I was to buy the Zara Spooks to cut the hooks off, these DD's are anymore expensive are they? Heck I have an army of these from way long ago, so have not bought any in years, nor have I used them in years lol. For a long time now, when the conditions are good for the top water action, I spool out one of my flyrods and pester the fish with it lol...

Last edited by Rowdy; 02/03/23 04:03 PM.
Re: Demon Dragons breaking Record after Record! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14619278 02/03/23 04:47 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Heck, I failed to ask this and not read it anywhere that I can remember anyway, Where to you guys rig these between the mainline and your hook on your leader? I have been messing around with my mutated Z Spooks and inline floats a little but it's been a very little.

I have had to add the inline float as the mutated zs want float the bait well enough, least that I could tell. I have rigged the Spooks about a foot from the hook, then come back toward the mainline another 6" for the float, then usually 4' leader to a heavy swivel on the mainline.

Let's then get down and dirty, with 2-3' of like some of all the 10-12lb test mono or fluorocarbon I have that I never intend to use for anything but like a sacrifice on the sinker line. I have wondered if my sinker line is to short, but have always thought if I have 5' leader floating with bait at the end, it should be in the right area.

So you guys help me out here, let's get down and dirty. I know for sure when I have had my live bait buried in the mud and muck on the bottom, from the bait not floating...

Re: Demon Dragons breaking Record after Record! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14619342 02/03/23 05:38 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Glad to help Rowdy, and you are correct on your pricing a spook. Lures have gone way up just like everything else. As far as anchoring up, most of us old school Catfish guys all started out anchoring and still do it. There are times where anchoring is required like fishing standing timber or creek mouths in the spring. I’m on anchor from March until sometime in May but I have started dragging shallow the last 3 or 4 years when the right situation presents itself. My sons first Jr Lake Record was caught in 3.5 ft dragging. I would have never been in that area on anchor. As far as the price points for all this Catfishing gear? It’s all relative to each anglers views. You can get by with a cheap rod and reel combo from Wal-Mart or you can buy a high dollar Abu Pro- Rocket or Shimano Tekota. You can fish out of a Kayak or you can buy a 26 ft Pro-Cat. Same goes for pick up trucks. One cost 10k and the other truck cost 100k. They both will pull your boat. After spending so much money to make sure I have the right boat, the right truck, the right electronics, the right cast nets, and the right gear, the last thing I’m going to skimp on is my rig. No you don’t need all this expensive stuff to catch fish but it sure is nice to have it.

As far as the way I rig mine I run 80 lb leader material. I do not tie a knot to my Demon Dragons when running 80. If you run 50 lb or less I would recommend tying the knot because looping 50 lb line or less weekend it and you will break off more frequently. I run 80 though so I just loop the back eye of the demon dragon and feed the leader through the front eye. 80 is strong enough to hoist fish but I wound never do that when I used 50. The length from my swivel is approximately 2 ft and the length from my hook to the demon dragon is approx 5-6 “. When you loop the back eye of the demon dragon instead of tying knots you can adjust the leader so that your bait is closer to the bottom on days the fish are laying in the mud. You can’t do that if you tie knots to the DD. This is the whole reason I moved up to 80 along with you just don’t have to worry about 80 lb leaders breaking on fish like you do 50 lb test.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Demon Dragons breaking Record after Record! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14619690 02/04/23 01:17 AM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Cool deal man thanks, just got in and reading this, sounds good giving yourself a slide for the DD. Slick, I like it. You guys over there in all those fishy lakes that are full, where it does rain sometimes, I hope you guys catch lots of fish this full moon weekend, and be sure to save some for seed.

Incidentally a full moon was always a great time to anchor up at night to fish for whiskers for me, but then I am so easy, I have fun whether I catch anything or not. I just enjoy going.

Re: Demon Dragons breaking Record after Record! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14619881 02/04/23 11:32 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Chris, I gotta say I was quite content using a peg float and a versa rattle until you gifted me a couple of those real deal Demon Dragons last time we fished together. I always thought they were just a more expensive version of the same thing I was already using. I was wrong. Waaay wrong. The volume of the noise those things produce is exponentially higher than a versa rattle. They also simplify the rig in my opinion. I bought a bunch of the regulars and the jumbos. I love 'em and now I have a bunch of peg floats and versa rattles collecting dust in my tackle tray! lol.

Thank you for turning me onto them.

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Demon Dragons breaking Record after Record! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14619911 02/04/23 12:59 PM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Yes, Chris, thank you for turning me onto these babies and they are worth every penny! I recently added the brutes to my arsenal and so glad I did! Like you, I love to run really big baits this time of year. Big fish production sky rockets this time of year and the Brute series will keep these baits right where they need to be.

Rowdy, in the winter I like to keep my Demon Dragon about 6 inches from the bait with about a two foot leader. In the fall, I run about a 3 to 4 foot leader and keep my Demon Dragon about 3 inches from the bait. Like Chris said, I want my bait to run closer to the bottom when the fish are hunkered down in the mud. In October and November, the fish are much more aggressive and will stay 3 or 4 feet off the bottom.

texas

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide