Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,990
Posts13,973,656
Members144,227
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
WATER TEMPS 20 FT BELOW THE SURFACE Vs Surface Temperature #14609085 01/26/23 06:56 AM
A
Asleep At The Reel Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
A
Have you ever wondered what the temperature is below your boat, at the bottom of the lake? Well I have many times so today I decided to find out. This is part 1 of a multi part video comparing surface temperature to bottom temperature. Since I filmed this I have a much better way to measure and I will be using that for the other seasons. Hope you all enjoy and as always leave a comment and let me know your thoughts!

https://lonestarwarriorsoutdoors.org/

ASLEEP AT THE REEL (YouTube)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpYfRLf2MT7MkD-jsDrbMkw
Re: WATER TEMPS 20 FT BELOW THE SURFACE Vs Surface Temperature [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14609087 01/26/23 07:19 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Fish are cold-blooded. If you can find a school that will bite, fish it at different depths though the last time a friend and I did well fishing lures mid-depth in 10' ice fishing. We caught over 40 fish going from hole to hole in a large circle of holes drilled.

Another friend has been catching crappie and a few bass from shore where the water temperature is in the upper 30's due to the warm day time temperatures this winter in NY. He doesn't know the depth he fishes in each lake, but fishes like he always does - let's the lure drop to the count of 5 seconds and works it.

Re: WATER TEMPS 20 FT BELOW THE SURFACE Vs Surface Temperature [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14609141 01/26/23 12:48 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: WATER TEMPS 20 FT BELOW THE SURFACE Vs Surface Temperature [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14609455 01/26/23 05:18 PM
F
F4 Gator Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Thanks for info. thumb

[Linked Image]

Phormer Phantom Phlyer
Re: WATER TEMPS 20 FT BELOW THE SURFACE Vs Surface Temperature [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14610057 01/27/23 02:27 AM
C
Centurion Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
I always figured the water was warmer down deep in the winter. Reason I drop shot crappie on bottom this time of year.

Re: WATER TEMPS 20 FT BELOW THE SURFACE Vs Surface Temperature [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14610616 01/27/23 06:48 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
water temps only usually vary around 3 to 5 degrees in summer and winter. I know a guide that has studied this extensively and takes temps from the surface all the way down to 60 ft.
this is why I pay very little attention to water temps.
ive heard people say that crappie are under docks because the water is cooler,, the water is the same temp under the dock as in the sun.. water molecules mix constantly. the same with folks saying the crappie are high up on top of brushpiles in the morning because the water is cooler than the heat of the day.. this is another myth . they are higher up on top of the brush because there is not alot of sunlight penetration early in the morning,. crappie do not like bright light,.
Crappie can easily survive in most water temps. They dont go to the warmest water in the spring like many folks believe.. that is a long told myth.. they arent finding warm pockets of water deep near the bottom either in winter ,,
The crappie are where are day to day because of the location of oxygen rich water, and baitfish locations
if your interested in seeing the water temp measurements over the year , in summer, winter fall and spring, check out Bob Maindells holding the line guide services blog page.. you will have to search thru the posts but you can find very easy to read charts and graphs that show his findings. Bob is a very meticulous, organized, accurate guy and you can bet that the measurements are on point. he fishes very deep central texas lakes and was able to document a good sampling of water bodies.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: WATER TEMPS 20 FT BELOW THE SURFACE Vs Surface Temperature [Re: Centurion] #14610631 01/27/23 06:57 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Centurion
I always figured the water was warmer down deep in the winter. Reason I drop shot crappie on bottom this time of year.

what happens is water temp fluctuation cause plankton and a little known but very important species of life called DAPHNIA, to rise and fall in the water column and the baitfish follow them. for baitfish to survive they must constantly be near the locations of the plankton and daphnia
if youve never heard of this little creature called Daphnia, do a little reading abt them, and it will change your whole mindset abt why baitfish are found in certain areas..
The Daphnia kind of swim up and down in the water column,, they cant swim forward or backwards.,,. they kind of drift around the lake and are moved by wind and or current.
there are also different species of plankton, some tend to thrive near the surface, and some near the bottom.. its very interesting..

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: WATER TEMPS 20 FT BELOW THE SURFACE Vs Surface Temperature [Re: leanin post] #14610641 01/27/23 07:02 PM
C
Centurion Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Originally Posted by leanin post
water temps only usually vary around 3 to 5 degrees in summer and winter. I know a guide that has studied this extensively and takes temps from the surface all the way down to 60 ft.
this is why I pay very little attention to water temps.
ive heard people say that crappie are under docks because the water is cooler,, the water is the same temp under the dock as in the sun.. water molecules mix constantly. the same with folks saying the crappie are high up on top of brushpiles in the morning because the water is cooler than the heat of the day.. this is another myth . they are higher up on top of the brush because there is not alot of sunlight penetration early in the morning,. crappie do not like bright light,.
Crappie can easily survive in most water temps. They dont go to the warmest water in the spring like many folks believe.. that is a long told myth.. they arent finding warm pockets of water deep near the bottom either in winter ,,
The crappie are where are day to day because of the location of oxygen rich water, and baitfish locations
if your interested in seeing the water temp measurements over the year , in summer, winter fall and spring, check out Bob Maindells holding the line guide services blog page.. you will have to search thru the posts but you can find very easy to read charts and graphs that show his findings. Bob is a very meticulous, organized, accurate guy and you can bet that the measurements are on point. he fishes very deep central texas lakes and was able to document a good sampling of water bodies.

Thank You. Never too old to learn.

Re: WATER TEMPS 20 FT BELOW THE SURFACE Vs Surface Temperature [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14611558 01/28/23 04:45 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Chris one thing I have never understood is cold pockets in shallow water in summer..
I would think that most people who have swam on lakes in summertime have experienced this.. your swimming around on a shallow flat, and you feel a change in the water temp on your body., the pockets are small maybe 4 or 5 feet , then you swim a few feet and its warm again,., the only thing I can think of that would cause this is water trickling up from the bottom because of an underground spring,, BUT you dont see bubbles floating up on the surface. Im thinking the water trickling in may be very slow and it doesnt generate alot of bubbles, or theres something else going on,.
these "cold" pockets may be something that baitfish are attracted to. maybe this is another aspect that you can study on your experiment,

Re: WATER TEMPS 20 FT BELOW THE SURFACE Vs Surface Temperature [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14621067 02/05/23 04:37 PM
S
Spiderman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Leaning Post said it “Crappie don’t like bright light.” That is why they accumulate under docks and boathouses.

That is the key, clarity of water determines how deep the fish are going to be on ‘most’ days. Fish until you catch a crappie and determine depth then move to that depth of water and look for brush to hold fish.

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide