Forums59
Topics1,039,368
Posts13,963,445
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14601715 01/19/23 04:00 AM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I am still trying to wrap my pointed head around you guys dragging that many lines in the water at once and not hooking up every tree limb in the lake, let alone what happens after you catch one and it wrap every line out up into one not so neet braided mess lol.

I got to get me a couple of planer boards yet, I know how the numbers and bigger foot print would increase your chances. Heck I will even admit I like to mess with knots and different lines, untangling one of those fubars wouldn't be any different I guess.

Some of those bigger tangles or fubars I bet would merit a pic and be tacked on a thread here too lol.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Rowdy] #14601818 01/19/23 01:15 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
It's all relative regarding the rods, Rowdy.

I have found my comfortable place is four rods, two planer boards out wide on each side, one long line way out the back of the boat (no board), and one suspended bait straight down just a crank or two off the bottom. I don't have to worry about the suspended rod because it's easy to avoid, and usually if the fish comes in on one side its either the long line or single planer board that I have to keep away from - no too bad.

Now that said that 54 pound fish I caught the other day went CRAZY when he came to the boat. He took off taking drag and went around the back of the boat (and underneath) but luckily I managed to reel the other lines up on his way in.

I know guys like Catfish Tim that have SIX lines out, with two sets of planer boards each side and frankly that is just too much complication and risk of tangles for me. CFT has just fitted two more rod rests so he can now deploy no less that EIGHT RODS, four each side which I believe El Gato also has. That blows my mind!

All these rods increase your chances of catching of course but it comes at a price.

I like simple and I like my peace on the water, so three or four rods do me just fine.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14601904 01/19/23 02:38 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I run 6 boards and 4 long lines (10 rods) rods when dragging. It’s a technical way to fish especially when you start running 6 boards and multiple long lines. Add to that a trolling motor with ipilot link and it becomes like trying to conduct the orchestra. When things go wrong it gets ugly but when everything is working as intended it’s art. Hooking into 2-3 big fish simultaneously I call Chaos Catfishing and it’s what I live for when I’m on the water. We’ve had up to 6 fish over 20lbs hooked up and talk about a Chinese fire drill. It seems like running all that equipment would be impossible but you start with a minimal approach and then you add layers. I have 8 yrs of dragging planer boards with my trolling motor under my belt and adding those wrinkles to my game were probably the biggest game changers for me in my 30+ yrs of chasing catfish.

As far as getting hung up it’s just part of the game but since I’ve switched to Carolina Lake Weights 8 months ago I have lost 8 rigs total. I used to lose 8 rigs in a single trip using other brands. Best drift weights in the game and I’ve used em all. Stump fields and rocky shorelines are no match. I love em so much they put me on Pro-Staff and asked me to run their team. There is no other product in my boat that saves me more money from lost rigs or time from re-rigging period. Catfish rigs have gotten expensive and lord knows mine are high dollar. I run a 2oz 95% of the time I’m dragging. Use code ElGato10 Carolina Lake Weights website

Last edited by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀; 01/19/23 02:40 PM.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14601966 01/19/23 03:26 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
^ TEN RODS!!!

eek2

That just blows my mind….

Carolina Lake Weights you say? I just clicked that link and hey they even do them in orange and they are reasonably priced….. *click*

Damn you El Gato!!

roflmao

So glad to see you back posting Chris.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14602140 01/19/23 06:15 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
That is hard to fathom in my pointed head. That many rods at once. That is definitely really serious lol. I got to order me a couple of planer boards and we had a good discussion on here about those already and I am still wondering what to order.

So what to order that has the good release clip? I do remember there are some that the release clip was not so keen.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14602472 01/20/23 12:41 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Carolina Lake Weights will actually save you money Bob even if you’re making your own dragging weights. Your lake is very stumpy so nothing is 100% snag proof but you will lose a considerable amount fewer rigs I guarantee it. The front end is hollow which crushes and comes through snags most other dragging weight get hung on.

Order some Parks Planers in the regular size Rowdy. They are very reasonably priced compared to a lot of others and they work really good and are top quality. I’d get 2 sets to start. Get them in 2 colored and separate the left side of the boat with one color and the right side of the boat with the other color. As far as clips go those are personal preference. Kevin will send you whatever style clips you want. I prefer the green Scotty clips like most Lake guys. They pop loose and let you fight the fish and you can bring them through your spread much easier then the lever clips that stay locked. When the are locking clips you must fight tge fish and the board but the worst part is when your reeling in boards with locking clips they get pulled into your other lines when bringing in fish creating a huge tangled mess. Sone guys love a locking clip but I prefer the Scotty. The first time you use boards just run one set and after you get a few trips under your belt run 2 sets. They will change the way you fish no doubt. You can order them directly from the owner. His name is Kevin Parks and he is a really good dude and a huge supporter of the catfish community. I’m on their Pro-Staff so tell him El Gato Azul sent you and he will hook you up with a deal you won’t find anywhere else.
Kevin’s cell # (620) 364-6447

Last edited by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀; 01/20/23 03:25 AM.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14602493 01/20/23 01:10 AM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Oh cool that's man for the info and your time. I use alot of the guys here and their time, thanks again

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14609818 01/26/23 10:57 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Hunt was on again today on Lake Lavon. Temp was hovering around freezing 32F, but my Texoma fishing buddy Donny and I wrapped up and headed off hunting those cats.

Water was @ 49F and air temp 34F, and the fish were deep.

[Linked Image]

A fat blue @ 44 pounds, caught drifting on a sliced mackerel cut bait.

[Linked Image]

Here is hoping the winter pattern has finally arrived...

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 01/26/23 10:57 PM.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14609822 01/26/23 11:00 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
^ PS That fish was skin hooked. As soon as we got him on deck that big size 10/0 hook and bait fell right out.

breakdance

Sometimes you need a little luck...

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14610575 01/27/23 05:59 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Nice work Bob!

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14610620 01/27/23 06:51 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
BCB,

That is a really nice fish man, great pix too. Those air Temps I am not so keen on my old 2-stroke out there running, since it's one that is oil injected. Before all this injected oil 2-stroke motors, we mixed the fuel and oil in the fuel cell and all was good. These cold Temps, that 2-stroke oil is really much thicker and hard for the oil pump to suck it through that hose to the motor to inject it. I have gone out with Temps like this, I just add the right amount of oil to my fuel, and basically run double oil, just to be on the safe side. Then if trying to pull that oil from the tank kills the pump I am still good and I only have to replace the oil pump...

You guys with these 4-stroke motors are way ahead of the game with them. I hope you guys have a great weekend too.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14612054 01/29/23 02:36 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Came and fished your lake today Bob. We smoked em on our live fishing show. Action Jaxon is the the new Jr Angler lake record holder at 55 lbs. he broke it 3 times with a 49, 52, 55. I had the lake record hooked up and lost it. Our big fish went 52, 55, 49, 48, 47, 46, 44, 40, 40, 40, 40, 39, 37 , 32, 30, 30, 25, 22, 20, 20, 19, 18 …. 800 lbs of big Texas Blues in the boat💪

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14612094 01/29/23 03:35 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀
Came and fished your lake today Bob. We smoked em on our live fishing show. Action Jaxon is the the new Jr Angler lake record holder at 55 lbs. he broke it 3 times with a 49, 52, 55. I had the lake record hooked up and lost it. Our big fish went 52, 55, 49, 48, 47, 46, 44, 40, 40, 40, 40, 39, 37 , 32, 30, 30, 25, 22, 20, 20, 19, 18 …. 800 lbs of big Texas Blues in the boat💪

Wowza!!!

CFT told me you were out on Lavon reeling them in, so I watched your Live-stream towards the end, and holy smokes that is simply spectacular!

flehan

Well done!

clap

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 01/29/23 12:30 PM.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14612213 01/29/23 01:08 PM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Bob, you have graduated to the next level of blue catter! Well done man. Judging by the first year of your posts on here, you've made amazing improvements in your game!

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14612508 01/29/23 05:09 PM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
You know I have seen those T-shirts and decals that say "fish fear me". Well they really should fear most of you guys on here lol. You guys are really dialed in. Then there is this young man Action Jaxon, guys as he gets to be my age, I have no doubt the fish will fear him lol.

You guys are at another level that I will have to confirm it for myself, if you don't hoover over the ground, while I am not going into the part whether you can walk on water, but hey if you can hoover over ground, why wouldn't you do the same and hoover over water too lol.

Bottom line here you guys catch more fish than other fish that eat them. Unbelievable, my hat's off to you guys...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide