Texas Fishing Forum

The Hunt for the Monster Catfish

Posted By: Bluecat Bob

The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/11/23 04:37 PM

I love catching big blues. Nothing like battling a big fish, to me I consider them freshwater sharks.

I am fairly new to the sport coming from freshwater fishing in the UK, to trout and bass fishing in the USA, and now on a steep learning curve with big cats. Huge thanks to El Gato and Catfish Tim who are masters at this, and been kind enough to coach me on techniques and tips.

I have had success, quite a few big fish lifted over the gunnels but the more I learn it seems the less I know.

[Linked Image]

So the past three of my last four trips in my boat have been skunk days, and the one day I caught fish they were small cats not needing my net.

So I have questions. We know some days are better than others. A drop in air pressure prior to a weather system coming in, warmer southerly winds.

So do Catfish eat every day? Or do they eat/gorge when they can typically when the food is plentyful? I have discovered that the typical blue eats between 2 and 5% of its own body weight each day. That’s almost 3 pounds of food every single day for a 50 pound fish. That’s a lot of shad and a gazillion threadfin. Do they eat this in single sittings or munching when they can?

Do they eat more in the spring pre spawn? What about the summer heat? Do they feed up for the winter? I know in the summer months the bite will be on at daybreak but will often stop dead after 10am.

I am looking to go out again this Friday, but a change to a northerly wind and a drop in temps. I can’t help but think this might turn them off but to quote Catfish Dave ‘you don’t know till you throw’.

I also know a bad day out fishing is better than a good day at work.

[Linked Image]

So wotcha got? Any knowledge/data on patterns?
Posted By: CaptnC

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/11/23 04:52 PM

I'm not a veteran catfisherman, just really started catching them because they taste pretty good! I started fishing for them in September of 2022!

Thats a nice fish without a doubt!

Buddy fishing with me caught a boat record for my boat yesterday. On a tail end half of a jumbo shrimp! We were spotlocked looking for Hybrids but put out a couple cat poles while we were there!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/11/23 05:19 PM

BCB, first you are correct, you can't catch 'em, if you don't go... Second; try not to overthink it. Just go fishing when you can. Third, the amount they eat is an average, just like us they will eat more some days and less others. They are apex predators. They are also opportunistic. Certain weather conditions make them uncomfortable. High pressure, low water, thermocline, etc. In those conditions, they will eat less or maybe not at all. A short trip doesn't tell the story some days. Staying on the water, you have a better chance of catching them when they turn on. Also just like us, the outside influences don't affect every fish the same way. So there will likely always be some fish eating somewhere.

Finally, they don't read, they don't have a clock and they don't know what the weatherman said. Are there outside influences that affect their feeding patterns? yes, absolutely. But maybe the best advice I can give you is stop trying to figure them out and just go catch them...
Posted By: skeetmaster

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/12/23 12:04 PM

Bob, I agree with Tim 100%. We just gotta go fish. It's kinda like golf. My high school coach always told us that any putt that comes up short had ZERO chance of going in. So, anytime you're not on the water, you have ZERO chance of catching fish!

Now, that being said, you raise some really interesting questions for my mind's sake. I'm a pretty inquisitive guy with respect to processes, procedures, ways and means, gear, etc. and this fascinates me. I'm like you, I just wanna know the real info on the how's and why's. I mean, snakes eat only so often. Most predators will gorge themselves on a kill until they can't eat any more so, for at least a while, they aren't going to eat again. It seems that birds eat all day long. You would think that catfish, as big as they get and with the environment they're in, would have to eat every chance they get. And, I know they'll overeat based on the bellies of some of the fish that I've caught. But, are there times that they don't eat at all? And, if so, how long do those periods last? Or do they eat anytime they see an opportunity? Even if they're full. Who knows!

Overall, it doesn't really matter but I still want to know. I mean, being an avid deer hunter, I save myself a lot of wasted time during the majority of the season by only hunting the first couple of hours of the day and the last couple of hours. Except during the rut, when I hunt the entire day. I would probably occasionally have a chance at a deer in the middle of the day, but I would waste a lot of time. But, when I hunt, I'm usually hunting alone. When I fish, I'm usually fishing with a friend and that time is shared in great conversation so it's not wasted time...... I seriously gotta stop thinking about it hammer

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/12/23 02:10 PM

Okay, maybe I've overstated this a little. Reading it again, I think I need to revise this a bit... It's okay to study and to think and keep logs of the conditions on good days and bad days, etc. BUT... Don't overthink it. What does that mean? It means don't say I not gonna go fishing today because the sky is clear or the barometric pressure is too high, or the something else is too this or too that. Full moon, no moon, no wind, too much wind... Fiddlesticks! Just go when you can and embrace the challenge of the conditions when you are out there. If you do this, you will be out there on good days and bad days. Enjoy them all. Life is too short to get mad about not catching fish! Just enjoy the time on the water and let the fish be a bonus...

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/12/23 02:45 PM

Thanks y'all.

I do now keep a log of every trip, and track (and save) my drifts on my navionics. It helps me to understand what is going in.

Example below:

Texoma 01-05-23
Air temperature on arrival 34F
Air temp at 9am 38F
Full moon!
Water temp 58F
Wind west 8 knots
Drift sock deployed 0.5mph
Started in 30 feet
49 feet at 9am
3 rods, 2 planer boards one long line
1 mackerel head
1 gizzard head
1 gizzard body piece

I also track where I spot fish and where I catch fish.

Every day on the water is a blessing, catching or not, and I am always thankful.

Being retired I can fish pretty much when I like, so I am trying to avoid days when the conditions tell me it's going to be challenging catching fish and or uncomfortable in my boat. I don't mind cold and I dont mind rain, but anything over 20 mph winds and it just gets uncomfortable.

Tomorrow is a good example.
Forecast is for cooler airs - 'Sunny, with a high near 56. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph' and the barometer is forecast to reach a high at 9am @ 30.5. Given the cooling temps, the northerly airflow and the high pressure it doesn't look ideal. I am going to fish anyhow and will likely target the deeper water, IF the fish are there. I will record my day as usual.

Regardless, I am 100% sure it will be another good day on the water.

fish
Posted By: TxCatfishGuide

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/17/23 02:40 AM

Fishing for big fish this time of year with the current weather conditions will humble the most experienced anglers some days. It's easy to find fish. Getting them to eat can be a different story sometimes.

It's going to get worse, not better at least for the foreseeable future.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/18/23 03:50 AM

^ yup, been spotting fish bunched up in the usual places, but catching them has been tough.

So today was forecast to reach 75F, with light winds and overcast skies...clearing. Well it turned out to be bluebird sky, clear and no wind with my local lake like glass.

[Linked Image]

The air pressure was forecast to be low today, so there was that.

Up at the lark and caught some fresh bait, and trolling with my motor on a ledge into a creek, at 30 feet depth.

Thirty minutes in with four rods and nothing, so was just about to reel them in and a bite. Not a take down but not a dink bite either. Dang!

[Linked Image]

Tipped the scales at 54 pounds, and 47 inches long.

It came in fairly easy, until it saw the boat then all hell let loose. Biggest fish I have ever caught in my boat. Being an old out of shape guy it demanded a Herculean effort to get him in the boat. Hah!

Just one other decent fish hooked, but he came unbuttoned on the way in.

He bit on my long line which was way out back.

A very good day.

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/18/23 06:18 AM

Catfish, just like anything else, bite some days and don’t on others. I have been able to *kind of* pattern fish to a point with some success where I can predict when they will bite and when they won’t. Generally, drastic temperature or immediate changes in wind direction are not good for fishing, but some of my best fishing days ever have been when a front blew through on a blue bird day. Sometimes it just comes down to they’re gonna bite or they aren’t.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/18/23 10:53 AM

BCB, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while... roflmao

Seriously great fish. New boat record! Well done!

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/18/23 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
BCB, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while... roflmao

Seriously great fish. New boat record! Well done!

Thanks, Tim!

My best fish ever, 60 pounds, was caught on your gear in your boat. You made it look so easy swinging that fish on board. Holy moly getting this brute in my boat nearly killed me!

OMG

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/18/23 01:28 PM

Yesterdays conditions fwiw.

Lavon 01-17-23
Wind S calm
Bluebird day
Air temp 53F
Water temp 53F
Drifting using trolling motor @ 0.5 mph
Barometer 29.77
Fishing 30 feet depth into a creek @ 25 feet.
4 rods deployed, 2 planer boards, one suspended and one long line
Fish caught on long line

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/18/23 01:37 PM

Bob, great job! One heck of a nice fish. I notice behind you there, dead calm water and bright blue bird sky....well, there goes the "weather's gotta be nasty" theory! The more I hunt and fish, the more my theories get disproved! Actually, now, every time I have a theory pop into my head, I just laugh a little and file it straight into the trash bin. The only thing I've learned without a doubt is, fish don't bite in my living room.....ever!

As for being retired, I am not. I have to fish whenever I get the chance. I think I learn a lot from being on the water at some of the most inopportune times. It's strange how there are times that you can just feel it in the air. I think it's when the air feels "heavy" if you know what I mean. Maybe it's the humidity, maybe it's the pressure, who knows. I just wish I could go fishing right now!
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/18/23 11:03 PM

That is a freakin tank Bob! Man you’ve come a long way in a short time👍👍 congrats💪

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/19/23 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀
That is a freakin tank Bob! Man you’ve come a long way in a short time👍👍 congrats💪

Thank you Chris!

I remember posting up I wanted to try to catch a catfish over 7 pounds, and then fished Ray Roberts in over 100 feet of water with a stink bait on a tiny hook, and wondered why I couldn't catch one - lol!

Then YOU came to my rescue and suggested a tactic (and location) on Lake Ray Roberts and voila I caught my first blues. I will be eternally grateful to you for that, and the other tips advice and coaching both you and Catfish Tim have given me since.

flehan
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/19/23 04:00 AM

I am still trying to wrap my pointed head around you guys dragging that many lines in the water at once and not hooking up every tree limb in the lake, let alone what happens after you catch one and it wrap every line out up into one not so neet braided mess lol.

I got to get me a couple of planer boards yet, I know how the numbers and bigger foot print would increase your chances. Heck I will even admit I like to mess with knots and different lines, untangling one of those fubars wouldn't be any different I guess.

Some of those bigger tangles or fubars I bet would merit a pic and be tacked on a thread here too lol.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/19/23 01:15 PM

It's all relative regarding the rods, Rowdy.

I have found my comfortable place is four rods, two planer boards out wide on each side, one long line way out the back of the boat (no board), and one suspended bait straight down just a crank or two off the bottom. I don't have to worry about the suspended rod because it's easy to avoid, and usually if the fish comes in on one side its either the long line or single planer board that I have to keep away from - no too bad.

Now that said that 54 pound fish I caught the other day went CRAZY when he came to the boat. He took off taking drag and went around the back of the boat (and underneath) but luckily I managed to reel the other lines up on his way in.

I know guys like Catfish Tim that have SIX lines out, with two sets of planer boards each side and frankly that is just too much complication and risk of tangles for me. CFT has just fitted two more rod rests so he can now deploy no less that EIGHT RODS, four each side which I believe El Gato also has. That blows my mind!

All these rods increase your chances of catching of course but it comes at a price.

I like simple and I like my peace on the water, so three or four rods do me just fine.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/19/23 02:38 PM

I run 6 boards and 4 long lines (10 rods) rods when dragging. It’s a technical way to fish especially when you start running 6 boards and multiple long lines. Add to that a trolling motor with ipilot link and it becomes like trying to conduct the orchestra. When things go wrong it gets ugly but when everything is working as intended it’s art. Hooking into 2-3 big fish simultaneously I call Chaos Catfishing and it’s what I live for when I’m on the water. We’ve had up to 6 fish over 20lbs hooked up and talk about a Chinese fire drill. It seems like running all that equipment would be impossible but you start with a minimal approach and then you add layers. I have 8 yrs of dragging planer boards with my trolling motor under my belt and adding those wrinkles to my game were probably the biggest game changers for me in my 30+ yrs of chasing catfish.

As far as getting hung up it’s just part of the game but since I’ve switched to Carolina Lake Weights 8 months ago I have lost 8 rigs total. I used to lose 8 rigs in a single trip using other brands. Best drift weights in the game and I’ve used em all. Stump fields and rocky shorelines are no match. I love em so much they put me on Pro-Staff and asked me to run their team. There is no other product in my boat that saves me more money from lost rigs or time from re-rigging period. Catfish rigs have gotten expensive and lord knows mine are high dollar. I run a 2oz 95% of the time I’m dragging. Use code ElGato10 Carolina Lake Weights website

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/19/23 03:26 PM

^ TEN RODS!!!

eek2

That just blows my mind….

Carolina Lake Weights you say? I just clicked that link and hey they even do them in orange and they are reasonably priced….. *click*

Damn you El Gato!!

roflmao

So glad to see you back posting Chris.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/19/23 06:15 PM

That is hard to fathom in my pointed head. That many rods at once. That is definitely really serious lol. I got to order me a couple of planer boards and we had a good discussion on here about those already and I am still wondering what to order.

So what to order that has the good release clip? I do remember there are some that the release clip was not so keen.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/20/23 12:41 AM

Carolina Lake Weights will actually save you money Bob even if you’re making your own dragging weights. Your lake is very stumpy so nothing is 100% snag proof but you will lose a considerable amount fewer rigs I guarantee it. The front end is hollow which crushes and comes through snags most other dragging weight get hung on.

Order some Parks Planers in the regular size Rowdy. They are very reasonably priced compared to a lot of others and they work really good and are top quality. I’d get 2 sets to start. Get them in 2 colored and separate the left side of the boat with one color and the right side of the boat with the other color. As far as clips go those are personal preference. Kevin will send you whatever style clips you want. I prefer the green Scotty clips like most Lake guys. They pop loose and let you fight the fish and you can bring them through your spread much easier then the lever clips that stay locked. When the are locking clips you must fight tge fish and the board but the worst part is when your reeling in boards with locking clips they get pulled into your other lines when bringing in fish creating a huge tangled mess. Sone guys love a locking clip but I prefer the Scotty. The first time you use boards just run one set and after you get a few trips under your belt run 2 sets. They will change the way you fish no doubt. You can order them directly from the owner. His name is Kevin Parks and he is a really good dude and a huge supporter of the catfish community. I’m on their Pro-Staff so tell him El Gato Azul sent you and he will hook you up with a deal you won’t find anywhere else.
Kevin’s cell # (620) 364-6447

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/20/23 01:10 AM

Oh cool that's man for the info and your time. I use alot of the guys here and their time, thanks again

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/26/23 10:57 PM

Hunt was on again today on Lake Lavon. Temp was hovering around freezing 32F, but my Texoma fishing buddy Donny and I wrapped up and headed off hunting those cats.

Water was @ 49F and air temp 34F, and the fish were deep.

[Linked Image]

A fat blue @ 44 pounds, caught drifting on a sliced mackerel cut bait.

[Linked Image]

Here is hoping the winter pattern has finally arrived...

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/26/23 11:00 PM

^ PS That fish was skin hooked. As soon as we got him on deck that big size 10/0 hook and bait fell right out.

breakdance

Sometimes you need a little luck...
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/27/23 05:59 PM

Nice work Bob!

Ken

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/27/23 06:51 PM

BCB,

That is a really nice fish man, great pix too. Those air Temps I am not so keen on my old 2-stroke out there running, since it's one that is oil injected. Before all this injected oil 2-stroke motors, we mixed the fuel and oil in the fuel cell and all was good. These cold Temps, that 2-stroke oil is really much thicker and hard for the oil pump to suck it through that hose to the motor to inject it. I have gone out with Temps like this, I just add the right amount of oil to my fuel, and basically run double oil, just to be on the safe side. Then if trying to pull that oil from the tank kills the pump I am still good and I only have to replace the oil pump...

You guys with these 4-stroke motors are way ahead of the game with them. I hope you guys have a great weekend too.

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/29/23 02:36 AM

Came and fished your lake today Bob. We smoked em on our live fishing show. Action Jaxon is the the new Jr Angler lake record holder at 55 lbs. he broke it 3 times with a 49, 52, 55. I had the lake record hooked up and lost it. Our big fish went 52, 55, 49, 48, 47, 46, 44, 40, 40, 40, 40, 39, 37 , 32, 30, 30, 25, 22, 20, 20, 19, 18 …. 800 lbs of big Texas Blues in the boat💪

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/29/23 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀
Came and fished your lake today Bob. We smoked em on our live fishing show. Action Jaxon is the the new Jr Angler lake record holder at 55 lbs. he broke it 3 times with a 49, 52, 55. I had the lake record hooked up and lost it. Our big fish went 52, 55, 49, 48, 47, 46, 44, 40, 40, 40, 40, 39, 37 , 32, 30, 30, 25, 22, 20, 20, 19, 18 …. 800 lbs of big Texas Blues in the boat💪

Wowza!!!

CFT told me you were out on Lavon reeling them in, so I watched your Live-stream towards the end, and holy smokes that is simply spectacular!

flehan

Well done!

clap

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/29/23 01:08 PM

Bob, you have graduated to the next level of blue catter! Well done man. Judging by the first year of your posts on here, you've made amazing improvements in your game!

Re: The Hunt for the Monster Catfish - 01/29/23 05:09 PM

You know I have seen those T-shirts and decals that say "fish fear me". Well they really should fear most of you guys on here lol. You guys are really dialed in. Then there is this young man Action Jaxon, guys as he gets to be my age, I have no doubt the fish will fear him lol.

You guys are at another level that I will have to confirm it for myself, if you don't hoover over the ground, while I am not going into the part whether you can walk on water, but hey if you can hoover over ground, why wouldn't you do the same and hoover over water too lol.

Bottom line here you guys catch more fish than other fish that eat them. Unbelievable, my hat's off to you guys...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum