Print Thread
solix gen 1 or helix gen 4 ? #14589232 01/07/23 09:31 PM
C
captain-kilroy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
My boat has solix gen 1 and i have constant issues with them. I have the opportunity to go to helix gen 4 units. My biggest question is how much difference in downscan and side scan images is there. I have used a helix gen 4 for my mega 360 and like it. But was wondering how much clearer the side scan and down scan images would be. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: solix gen 1 or helix gen 4 ? [Re: captain-kilroy] #14589259 01/07/23 09:52 PM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
If your looking at the same size screen, don't think you are going to get much IMO. They will both do the Live, and Mega 360 (solix will need an update). Solix uses about 2x the current as it's a dual core processor. Solix touch screen, helix is not. My buddy has the gen 1 solix and picked up a helix 15, and he wants to sell the Helix to get another solix. I personally have the helix and really like it, but the touch screen might be deciding factor for some people. i would recommend connecting with someone, and put some time with a helix before making the decision.

As for the problems, please explain. You might get some help on the problems with some of the guru's on the forum. Definitely need some battery for them, dedicated battery for the graphs is a must. But let me know what your dealing with.

Re: solix gen 1 or helix gen 4 ? [Re: captain-kilroy] #14589262 01/07/23 09:58 PM
M
mossyback75 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Garmin

Re: solix gen 1 or helix gen 4 ? [Re: captain-kilroy] #14589266 01/07/23 10:03 PM
C
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
The problem as i was told was that the gen 1 solix processor speed and software speed doesn't coincide well and you have all these strange occurances. I bought the boat new and it was the first new skeeter after they went humminbird. Now every boat i have seen since has had helix units on it. I have so far not found anyone that has gen 1 solix. they have been sent in to humminbird twice. Every time you go out there is some strange problem. One day the side scan will be so dark you cant see it and you have to readjust your settings to see it. Then the next time it will be so bright it will blind you. Skeeter tied all the power supplies together and humminbird had me rewire the boat to issolate both units and wire direct. Then i bought a mega 360 and found out it won't work with gen 1 so i bought a helix to run dedicated to the 360. I was told i could network them together and at least share waypoints by humminbird. But with the helix on the network the front solix will not show the map, depth or anything. The map is just a basemap on the front solix with the helix on the network. I am probably going to trade the boat next year anyway. So I am scared to get the new apex graphes until they are at least out of the gen 1 stage.

Re: solix gen 1 or helix gen 4 ? [Re: captain-kilroy] #14589299 01/07/23 10:36 PM
W
Wayne P. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by prosise
If your looking at the same size screen, don't think you are going to get much IMO. They will both do the Live, and Mega 360 (solix will need an update). Solix uses about 2x the current as it's a dual core processor. Solix touch screen, helix is not. My buddy has the gen 1 solix and picked up a helix 15, and he wants to sell the Helix to get another solix. I personally have the helix and really like it, but the touch screen might be deciding factor for some people. i would recommend connecting with someone, and put some time with a helix before making the decision.

As for the problems, please explain. You might get some help on the problems with some of the guru's on the forum. Definitely need some battery for them, dedicated battery for the graphs is a must. But let me know what your dealing with.

Originally Posted by captain-kilroy
The problem as i was told was that the gen 1 solix processor speed and software speed doesn't coincide well and you have all these strange occurances. I bought the boat new and it was the first new skeeter after they went humminbird. Now every boat i have seen since has had helix units on it. I have so far not found anyone that has gen 1 solix. they have been sent in to humminbird twice. Every time you go out there is some strange problem. One day the side scan will be so dark you cant see it and you have to readjust your settings to see it. Then the next time it will be so bright it will blind you. Skeeter tied all the power supplies together and humminbird had me rewire the boat to issolate both units and wire direct. Then i bought a mega 360 and found out it won't work with gen 1 so i bought a helix to run dedicated to the 360. I was told i could network them together and at least share waypoints by humminbird. But with the helix on the network the front solix will not show the map, depth or anything. The map is just a basemap on the front solix with the helix on the network. I am probably going to trade the boat next year anyway. So I am scared to get the new apex graphes until they are at least out of the gen 1 stage.

I currently use a first gen SOLIX SI and two SOLIX G3's as well as some third and fourth generation Helix units.
To get equal images between SOLIX and Helix, the SOLIX would have to be a G2 or G3===that + thing.
The G3 SOLIX units got the dual processor and more Imaging range than the G1 or G2.

Networking SOLIX and Helix only shares waypoints (waypoints is not mapping--its GPS) and Ethernet accessories (MEGA LIVE). No Helix units share any mapping of any kind with any connection with any other unit. SOLIX units and APEX units share mapping.

[Linked Image]

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: solix gen 1 or helix gen 4 ? [Re: Wayne P.] #14589329 01/07/23 10:49 PM
C
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
I think I will get a helix 15 and put at the console and put the solix units in storage. I have had nothing but trouble with the electronics on this boat since day one. For the price i can get a helix through a friend pretty reasonable and at least have everything connected. that way my tournament partner can see the 360 at the console. The solix gen 1 have been such a pain to deal with and most everybody i talk to is running lhelix and love them. The touch screen is nice but they are like using a windows 98 computer. Mine take about three minutes to boot up and you push a button and wait about 5 seconds for a response. I plugged the new helix 12 gen 4 in and it seemed like 20 seconds and it was booted up.

Re: solix gen 1 or helix gen 4 ? [Re: captain-kilroy] #14589649 01/08/23 07:00 AM
M
Mike2718 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
M
If you’re trying to use your Gen 1 Solix for Mega 360, the Solix is not compatible. The Solix has to be a Gen 2 or Gen 3. You can “view” Mega 360 on a Gen 1 Solix provided the Mega 360 is connected to a Gen 2 or 3 AND they are connected to the network.
Wayne P can answer any specific questions you have. There is probably no one on this earth that knows more about Humminbird units then he does.

Have a Blessed Day,
Mike
Re: solix gen 1 or helix gen 4 ? [Re: captain-kilroy] #14589736 01/08/23 01:54 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I think you'll be happy with the change to newer Helix units. I have gen 1 Solix's. They've been shipped to humminbird twice (at least they were under warranty). Almost expect some kind of glitch to occur on a day when I'm using them heavily that will require a whole network reboot to resolve. The 2D sonar on my 15 also died. Still has down, side and 360 working but the price to repair out of warranty is absolutely stupid, may as well just buy a used CHO to stick next to it. I do like the Solix but the Helix is far less cranky and from my experience more reliable. We have several Helix units on my work's boats and they never seem to have issues.

Scott Jones
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide