Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: QuirkyCarp2000] #14580537 12/30/22 07:42 PM
G
Grasshopperglock Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
G
You can't judge a reel until you've held and used the top of the line. Which doesn't mean buying what Randy says to on his YouTube and then calling it even. The guy is a tool.

Can you tell the difference between a $700 reel and a $150? Not unless you've owned the $700.

With a big word of caution. If that Lews makes you happy. Awesome. Just don't buy the upper tier of Shimano or Daiwa and compare them to the Lews. It'll break your heart.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: Grasshopperglock] #14580623 12/30/22 09:52 PM
C
coosa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by Grasshopperglock
My last baitcaster was an Abu Garcia Ultra Mag 2. Bought in Temple when I was young. Fished on lake Buchanan. I could never cast it and used it off a dock. Bran flakes dough balls and carp. No idea whatever happened to it.

(Example Picture)

[Linked Image]

That was actually a very decent reel for it's era. I still have an original Ultra Mag that stays in the shed at the pond with the Silver Max and keep a buzz bait on it. I've also got a Plueger Supreme in the shed that has an ancient Nip i Diddie on it. That was the first baitcaster that I ever owned and my dad told me to learn to throw it and he would pass down his 1958 model ABU 5000 to me. I have used that 5000 all my life. It doesn't stay at the pond; I keep it in the boat and make a few casts with it almost every trip. I added 4 bearings to it and it works better now than it ever did.

I doubt that any of the reels the OP mentioned would still be working 50 or 60 years later the way these reels are, but they would all be more effective than the old reels at catching fish. They all have some type of thumb bar, a faster gear ratio, bearings and other upgrades over the old models. But the old models caught fish back in their era and they will still catch them now.

I think that learning to cast with one of the old Plueger reels would be great training for any beginner now. If you've never seen one, it doesn't have a free spool feature and the handles rotate when you cast. That was the technology back in the 30s and 40s. Learn to cast one of these without a backlash and you will probably feel like you don't need a computer on your reel.

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: coosa] #14580665 12/30/22 10:33 PM
KBGoneFishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by coosa
My last baitcaster was an Abu Garcia Ultra Mag 2. Bought in Temple when I was young. Fished on lake Buchanan. I could never cast it and used it off a dock. Bran flakes dough balls and carp. No idea whatever happened to it.

(Example Picture)

[Linked Image]

That was actually a very decent reel for it's era. I still have an original Ultra Mag that stays in the shed at the pond with the Silver Max and keep a buzz bait on it. I've also got a Plueger Supreme in the shed that has an ancient Nip i Diddie on it. That was the first baitcaster that I ever owned and my dad told me to learn to throw it and he would pass down his 1958 model ABU 5000 to me. I have used that 5000 all my life. It doesn't stay at the pond; I keep it in the boat and make a few casts with it almost every trip. I added 4 bearings to it and it works better now than it ever did.

I doubt that any of the reels the OP mentioned would still be working 50 or 60 years later the way these reels are, but they would all be more effective than the old reels at catching fish. They all have some type of thumb bar, a faster gear ratio, bearings and other upgrades over the old models. But the old models caught fish back in their era and they will still catch them now.

I think that learning to cast with one of the old Plueger reels would be great training for any beginner now. If you've never seen one, it doesn't have a free spool feature and the handles rotate when you cast. That was the technology back in the 30s and 40s. Learn to cast one of these without a backlash and you will probably feel like you don't need a computer on your reel.

HaHa. I just sent two of those to Steve to have him go through them, clean, repair if necessary and add boca bearings. Those were my favorite reels for many years.

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: tmd11111] #14580740 12/30/22 11:47 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by LFA17
You will catch the same amount of fish with any of those reels you mentioned as the extremely overpriced favorites referred to Fact is that Edwin Evers has made over $3 million with the BPS Pro Qualifier reels. They may have been made by Pflueger. Point is, people will tell you that their $500 Aldebaren or Steez are worth it. Only in their minds I think. I

A Kia will get you where you’re going but a BMW will make the drive more enjoyable

Thats the same analogy I use all the time Thomas!

Last edited by Ken A.; 12/30/22 11:54 PM.

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: tmd11111] #14580929 12/31/22 02:46 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
You will catch the same amount of fish with any of those reels you mentioned as the extremely overpriced favorites referred to Fact is that Edwin Evers has made over $3 million with the BPS Pro Qualifier reels. They may have been made by Pflueger. Point is, people will tell you that their $500 Aldebaren or Steez are worth it. Only in their minds I think. I

A Kia will get you where you’re going but a BMW will make the drive more enjoyable

There is a significant difference A better analogy is a Timex to a Rolex. The quality of materials used, the difference in tolerances, the expected service life…those are a few things that factor into the pricing. My Steez reels don’t have any plastic [censored] for parts, every moving part it supported by a bearing or two, and the fit and finish is in another league.

Will it outcatch a $40 reel? Nope(well maybe…it will out cast a cheap reel and the solidity and lightweight will actually improve sensitivity of the rod/reel combo) . It will outlast one for sure. It will also make the day less stressful.

Those are things that aren’t in a persons head.

But, the real hurdle is getting the hand to pull the money outta your wallet. Once you try a high end reel, the regular stuff kinda sucks.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14580932 12/31/22 02:49 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

There is a significant difference A better analogy is a Timex to a Rolex. The quality of materials used, the difference in tolerances, the expected service life…those are a few things that factor into the pricing. My Steez reels don’t have any plastic [censored] for parts, every moving part it supported by a bearing or two, and the fit and finish is in another league.

Will it outcatch a $40 reel? Nope(well maybe…it will out cast a cheap reel and the solidity and lightweight will actually improve sensitivity of the rod/reel combo) . It will outlast one for sure. It will also make the day less stressful.

Those are things that aren’t in a persons head.

But, the real hurdle is getting the hand to pull the money outta your wallet. Once you try a high end reel, the regular stuff kinda sucks.

It’s addictive too.

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: Les Ems] #14580987 12/31/22 03:29 AM
J
John Peebles Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by Les Ems
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I wouldn’t. I don’t like any of them. I wouldn’t even really be happy getting them for free. I’d probably just pay em forward.

Thats what I would say also

This^^^^
Get a comparable Shimano reel, I've still got some of the old green Curados from when they were $99 a piece. I had one that I only used for saltwater, never cleaned it and only had the bearings changed out every few years and I still use it today. They hold up better than any other reels I've used. That being said I haven't bought a new Curado in years, mostly because I haven't needed to.
The only other reels I've had that held up are the old Lews BB1-NGH

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: tmd11111] #14581349 12/31/22 04:09 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R

I enjoy driving my wife's KIA car more than I do my daughters Mercedes car. Now your gonna make me have to get a BMW to compare.

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: QuirkyCarp2000] #14581358 12/31/22 04:17 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
This thread has shown what the TFF has become. A person ask about which is best in $40 to $55 reels he is considering and then almost everyone replies stating he should get $200 to $700 reels. I sure hope no one ask about if they should buy a 17 foot Nitro that they are considering.

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: RKT] #14581391 12/31/22 04:37 PM
G
Grasshopperglock Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
G

Originally Posted by RKT
This thread has shown what the TFF has become. A person ask about which is best in $40 to $55 reels he is considering and then almost everyone replies stating he should get $200 to $700 reels. I sure hope no one ask about if they should buy a 17 foot Nitro that they are considering.

Has become?

Maybe we've bought that $40 POS before and it left such a bad flavor.... We suggested not buying it. Nothing in this world will ruin your day more then a low end, Chinese clone of an American reel.

So if you want to buy a toy. Get a Barbie combo. If you want some peace of mind. Breakdown and treat yourself.... By not buying the Barbie.

Last edited by Grasshopperglock; 12/31/22 04:38 PM.
Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: Grasshopperglock] #14581435 12/31/22 05:09 PM
C
coosa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C

Originally Posted by RKT

Has become?

Maybe we've bought that $40 POS before and it left such a bad flavor.... We suggested not buying it. Nothing in this world will ruin your day more then a low end, Chinese clone of an American reel.

So if you want to buy a toy. Get a Barbie combo. If you want some peace of mind. Breakdown and treat yourself.... By not buying the Barbie.

I know that there are Chinese clones of various reels, but I didn't know of any that are American. Are there any baitcasters made in America now? I had never heard of a couple of names mentioned in this thread, and had never heard of a $700 reel, so maybe those names are made in USA?

I've been accumulating baitcasters since the early 60s, and the only one that I have made here is the Plueger Supreme that was made in the 30s. I might be willing to splurge on a reel actually made in USA. Most of the reels I fish with were in the $100 to $200 range, I have been satisfied with them. I fish a lot with an uncle who has always wanted the best, so he bought a $400 Shimano with the computer chip in it. On every trip with him, he will try to put something extra into a cast for more distance and the computer will decide that the cast was too hard. When it does, it locks the spool and snatches the lure back at him, sometimes hitting him with it. I always get a good laugh and give him some friendly ribbing over his nice reel. I am sure that he doesn't know how to adjust it properly and it's all user error, but I don't see the need for a computer on a reel.

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: QuirkyCarp2000] #14581463 12/31/22 05:44 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
You don't have to spend crazy $$, I actually keep an eye out for the old Chronarch's from the 90's online. I typically pick up beaters for about 65$ used, and I can rebuild them for about 35$ with all new ceramic hybrid bearings, and a carbon fiber drag disk. So for a 100$ I can add one of my favorite reels to the pile. I have around 12 in service in the boat now. I cannot get away from them, I do have a few other models from Shimano and they are as good as any new reel today. But I run open bearings, and I service mine regularly. I think the type of lube you use is the key, very light thin oil only. Anything sticky, thick, or the such and your spinning your wheels. Now for salt, that's a whole different beast.. Don't be afraid of the older shimano's.. I don't do this for other people, just mine and specific people because it takes some time..

Here are some of the last batch that I serviced.. I love the old chronarchs.
[Linked Image]

Here are some reels that I serviced, they are my fishing Mentors older shimano reels which are absolutely amazing. Thing that was amazing, the older reels work better than the new aldebran... Cannot explain it, but the old MG's, scorpions, and green curados are really good and the bearings they have originally are very good. The older MG will cast the line off the spool if you don't tie it to the spool..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is an older curado which was just cleaned.. This is a 20+ year old reel.. Original bearings, which were opened.

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: coosa] #14581501 12/31/22 06:23 PM
P
Pokie1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
i do believe Ardent is still made in the USA

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: QuirkyCarp2000] #14581568 12/31/22 07:10 PM
B
Ban-D Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I can’t believe quantum or pflueger are even in business still. Shimano a need daiwa are hard to beat. New lews are junk too. Ever since they went to rather outdoors.

Re: New baitcaster reel [Re: RKT] #14581853 12/31/22 11:15 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by RKT

I enjoy driving my wife's KIA car more than I do my daughters Mercedes car. Now your gonna make me have to get a BMW to compare.

Nobody enjoys driving a Korean POS. NOBODY!

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide