Forums59
Topics1,039,325
Posts13,962,855
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: Wool E. Booger] #14558917 12/08/22 05:00 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Wool E. Booger
Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
Originally Posted by Wool E. Booger
Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
Somebody asks you to leave private property, you just leave. End of story. Last guy that refused me got his car impounded and was arrested.

I gathered from his story that there was nothing there to indicate it was private property.

Doesn't matter. Once the owner asks you to leave, you better do it. Watched the guy argue that point with police before they dragged him out of the window of his car and pinned him to the ground. They don't mess around.

I fully understand when the owner asks you to leave, you leave….no questions. My question is, how do you know he is the owner of the property. It is not marked, no fence, no signs and nothing to indicate it is private property? I’m not one to argue, but I’m also not one to be told what to do on public property. If someone approaches you in this manner with guns on property that is not marked as private property, do you have any rights. Can you defend yourself. I understand if it’s the police telling you to leave, but he didn’t indicate the police were involved in this matter? Just asking a question, not arguing a point.

Here is a good idea, I don't go shoot on property that is not mine or I don't have permission to be on in advance. Just cause a place doesn't have a sign doesn't mean it's OK to set up targets and start shooting, or for that matter even be there for any real reason.

Last edited by WAWI; 12/08/22 05:00 PM.
Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14558922 12/08/22 05:02 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
there are very specific trespass laws in Texas, I have had to read up on them so I know what I can and can not do here at the ranch (private hunting property so poaching and illegal shooting are a thing).

Trespassing
How can I properly post my property?
Section 30.05, Texas Penal Code, provides that a person commits an offense if the person enters or remains on property of another without effective consent, and the person:

had notice that the entry was forbidden, or
received notice to depart, but failed to do so.
"Notice" means: an oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner; or fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock; or a sign or signs posted on the property reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden; or the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property. If purple paint is used, then the purple paint must be vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width; placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground; and placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than: 100 feet apart on forest land or 1,000 feet apart on land other than forest land.

Additionally, the visible presence on the property of a crop grown for human consumption that is under cultivation, in the process of being harvested, or marketable if harvested at the time of entry is considered "notice" that entry is forbidden.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/habitats/faq/law_enforcement/trespass1.phtml#:~:text=Section%2030.05%2C%20Texas%20Penal%20Code,but%20failed%20to%20do%20so.

your best bet is to call the game warden and get them out, the people you ran into may have been poaching or trespassing themselves. you can find the owner easy enough with a trip to the county seat and look up the plat if you want to go that far.

if the property was not marked and the people who showed up could not prove ownership then you had a right to be there, the guns changed that. no posting leaves it open to access imo.

Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14558927 12/08/22 05:13 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
I will add this, any time I go out on the property I am armed and the 3 incidents I have had were with others who were armed.

gw got the first ones, poaching in the middle of the night with a polaris on our property and entered through another posted property. they were caught red handed and the gws hauled them off.

the other 2, one was a simple mistake by a hunter that was allowed on neighboring property, phone call and directions to where he was supposed to be and it was over.
the other one was someone sneaking in to deer hunt, owned about 1.5 acres that joined our property (we now own it), had come in and built a tree stand and got caught in the act while sitting in it. took his gun and walked him out with words to the effect that next time I will just shoot you since you are armed on private property.

people who try to stop trespassers have to watch out for detaining them, you could possibly be brought up on kidnap charges for not allowing them to leave. per mcgee one of our gws. there are other instances that could cause problems if you don't just let them leave.

point being, you did right and they were wrong for pointing weapons at you or your kids. you might try contacting the owner and asking permission to target shoot if done in a safe area.

Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14558931 12/08/22 05:16 PM
Y
YEE_YEE Online Confused
TFF Celebrity
Online Confused
TFF Celebrity
Y
I wouldn't be going up to Gay Hill anymore...

Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: YEE_YEE] #14558944 12/08/22 05:28 PM
C
COFF Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by YEE_YEE
I wouldn't be going up to Gay Hill anymore...

Nothing good happens up on gay hill.

Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14558945 12/08/22 05:29 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by encKe
I forgot to mention this an old abandoned school way out in the middle of nowhere so yea..... i didn't see the harm in it. Were spread out here in West Texas. I see people target shooting on country dirt roads from time to time

Guys this was on my mind because my daughter was reminiscing about it last night & explained again how scared she was.

@Samsonsworld .... We did "just leave" & I'm guessing if u have kids youve nvr had someone point a gun at them or maybe your just the type that don't care.

Just wanted to get this off my chest. I don't really give a [censored] if anyone believes it or not.

Anyway, thanks for reading but geez you guys are brutal. Yall wont have to worry about me sharing on here non-fish-wise any longer.

So I posted & we now see that its not a popular post. Feel free to let me know if I need to delete it.

hope you continue to post here.. don't take it personally, its just a different time and folks on all sides are upset with life..
roflmao

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14558972 12/08/22 05:44 PM
C
COFF Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Confronting an armed person is certainly the one of the greatest tests of diplomacy one can ever experience. I've only had to do it once, and I hope I never have to do it again.

I don't believe charging in pointing a shotgun at a father and kids plinking with a 22 is appropriate, but I can allow just a little grace for the landowners who were likely scared and didn't know the right way to handle the situation.

Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14559000 12/08/22 06:02 PM
T
Tsunami_1 Online Happy
Extreme Angler
Online Happy
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by encKe
I forgot to mention this an old abandoned school way out in the middle of nowhere so yea..... i didn't see the harm in it. Were spread out here in West Texas. I see people target shooting on country dirt roads from time to time

Guys this was on my mind because my daughter was reminiscing about it last night & explained again how scared she was.

@Samsonsworld .... We did "just leave" & I'm guessing if u have kids youve nvr had someone point a gun at them or maybe your just the type that don't care.

Just wanted to get this off my chest. I don't really give a [censored] if anyone believes it or not.

Anyway, thanks for reading but geez you guys are brutal. Yall wont have to worry about me sharing on here non-fish-wise any longer.

So I posted & we now see that its not a popular post. Feel free to let me know if I need to delete it.

No No No, Don't give in. It can only get better from here. You can't throw in the towel at this point!

Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: COFF] #14707085 05/01/23 05:41 PM
A
AlexF1 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Originally Posted by COFF
Confronting an armed person is certainly the one of the greatest tests of diplomacy one can ever experience. I've only had to do it once, and I hope I never have to do it again.

I don't believe charging in pointing a shotgun at a father and kids plinking with a 22 is appropriate, but I can allow just a little grace for the landowners who were likely scared and didn't know the right way to handle the situation. In the end, the owners of the land might be afraid that firearms were being used on their land. Or take you for poachers. Moreover, the plot of land is located next to the school grounds. For example, if you re-read some essays on gun violence https://edubirdie.com/examples/gun-violence/ you will realize that some cases of gun violence in schools started this way. People through the plots of land that are next to the school brought weapons and then committed violence. It is not known what the owners of the land plot were guided by, but I think their reaction can be understood when they saw strangers with weapons.

If you arrange such games on the territory near the school, then such a reaction may be justified.

Last edited by AlexF1; 05/02/23 09:45 AM.
Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14707212 05/01/23 07:32 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
If the property owners pointed weapons at the trespassers they were out of line. However, the simplest way to stay straight is to keep in mind that if you don't own it someone else does, and you need their permission. The absence of signage or a fence is not a free pass to enter the property; there is no statutory requirement to post property or fence property to prevent trespass. If, however, the property is not posted, a much more diplomatic approach to trespassers would be appropriate. Sadly, a whole lot of people don't respect fences or signs, and many property owners who have to deal with blatant trespassers on a frequent basis have lost patience.

Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14707222 05/01/23 07:39 PM
C
Crowbar Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Things are different up there around Lubbock, it seems. When you can go miles in any direction and not see anything but ag land, pump jacks and power poles, it kinda feels like you can just pull over and plink anywhere you want, but that's just not the case. I go up there every year to dove hunt on the folks' cotton farms and more often than not we run into other hunters on them that had no permission being there. One year it was a GUIDE with 6 paying hunters set up on one of the corners. Another year, some Tech students were set up with GoPros, dogs and Mojo doves all over the place trying to make some YouTube videos. Granted, I have never pointed firearms at any of them but they dang sure knew I was armed. LOL We always told these folks if they want to hunt the farm the following season to reach out a couple months ahead of time and we could probably work something out but they never did. Too many "free" leases up there, I guess?

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading
Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14707247 05/01/23 08:13 PM
C
CKINCAID Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
Dial up slow that way?

FJB
If life isn't going right...Go left
Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14707273 05/01/23 08:55 PM
Mudshark Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
When I trespass, I try not to make a lot of noise like shooting a gun when I’m doing it. Maybe that makes me better at being a trespasser than others, I just don’t know. Possibly I have been doing it wrong all these years.

[Linked Image]

Re: Gay Hill School, Luther Texas [Re: encKe] #14707404 05/01/23 10:59 PM
O
outfishdya Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
O
I am glad you posted this, I have learned....
If you gonna go to gay hill and shoot gourds, you better watch out for the men hiding in the bushes

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide