Print Thread
WTB used Mercury 115-150 #14433562 07/29/22 10:57 AM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
I'm looking for a used Mercury 115 for a project boat. I bought a 2009 Kenner (last year they made boats under the Kenner name) a few years ago. The guys who sold it to me lied about the boat. I asked them, "This isn't a hurricane boat or a boat that has been sunk is it?" They assured me it wasn't.

When we started refurbishing the boat, it became apparent that the boat had been sunk, and was probably a hurricane boat these guys picked up cheap and had done just enough to disguise that fact and sell it.

We rewired the entire boat and it's done way better than any factory job. The boat has been to Classic Fiberglass and the hull is near perfect. It has a new Lowrance, new dual Power-Pole Blades, new Hamby's Keel Guard, new Atlas hydraulic jackplate, new Min-Kota saltwater trolling motor, new windshield, new led spotlight, and other upgrades.

What does any of this have to do with wanting to buy a motor? We've done everything we can to get the outboard on this boat in good working order. It isn't going to happen. The engine will run, but it bogs down, sputters and has issues. The boat is currently at R&R Marine and Steve Stroman and crew have done everything they can to try and get it running right.

The boat is awesome and fishes well, but my experience buying this boat and finding out the guys I bought it from are lying thieves has left me not so fond of the boat and it will probably be up for sale soon. I just want it to be in good running order and ready to fish before I sell it.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: WTB used Mercury 115 [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14434848 07/30/22 05:53 PM
B
bert r Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Back last December I purchased an old boat with a '93 year 90 HP Mercury. The previous owner said that he thought the reed valves were bad and the motor would not idle. After going through the motor and proving that the compression was good, I found several flaws that caused various problems. Some of the problems were very difficult to determine such as an inlet fuel line that had degraded and collapsed inside but appeared normal on the external surface which restricted the fuel flow. Additionally, the fuel filter was clogged with contaminates. The reeds were in fine shape as I looked inside through a mirror and proved that after removing the carbs. Had to replace several hoses, clean the carbs, rebuild the fuel pump, install a large inline filter, and now the old motor runs like a new one. I suggest that if your motor has good compression perhaps you just need to determine what is causing the issues. Those old Mercs are bulletproof if treated nicely. Good luck.

Re: WTB used Mercury 115 [Re: bert r] #14435862 08/01/22 12:01 AM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by bert r
Back last December I purchased an old boat with a '93 year 90 HP Mercury. The previous owner said that he thought the reed valves were bad and the motor would not idle. After going through the motor and proving that the compression was good, I found several flaws that caused various problems. Some of the problems were very difficult to determine such as an inlet fuel line that had degraded and collapsed inside but appeared normal on the external surface which restricted the fuel flow. Additionally, the fuel filter was clogged with contaminates. The reeds were in fine shape as I looked inside through a mirror and proved that after removing the carbs. Had to replace several hoses, clean the carbs, rebuild the fuel pump, install a large inline filter, and now the old motor runs like a new one. I suggest that if your motor has good compression perhaps you just need to determine what is causing the issues. Those old Mercs are bulletproof if treated nicely. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to pass this along to Steve Stroman at R&R Marine.

thumb

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: WTB used Mercury 115 [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14492979 10/01/22 02:40 AM
J
JILAS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Tried to PM but you are over limit. Any interest in 1980 140HP Mercury (inline 6)? Starts and run good. Currently on 1980 Ebbtide Dyna Trak 166 SS. Boat and motor for sale as listed on Craigslist. Send PM or reply on Craigslist post.

Re: WTB used Mercury 115 [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14493011 10/01/22 04:16 AM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide