Forums59
Topics1,039,271
Posts13,962,000
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14434906 07/30/22 07:01 PM
S
Slabrador Retriever Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
As previously mentioned I do have a self imposed limit for my clients and I gladly welcome any client who'd like to do a "catch and release" trip. That being said most clients desire fish and we certainly work to provide a few fish for them. Flags I'd like to see fish around beyond 10 years . There is a such thing as too many fish in a lake in which size is impacted. There are some professionals that have equal or greater conviction than you that bountiful harvest is imperative to the health of a lake. The truth will speak for itself and we'll await to hear what it has to say. I realize there will always be a differing view regardless of the side of the street u stand on..it's all apart of living.All conversations can be had. Just be sure to do them with respect and consideration for each other. Yall take care

Retrieving slabs one thump at a time!!! - Kyron
Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14434990 07/30/22 09:10 PM
F
Flags Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
F
Actually you have not mentioned a "self imposed limit." I just looked over your posts. All I know is that you posted some pics that showed an awful lot of big slabs that will never get the chance to spawn again. In the pictures you posted in the original post there are at least 200 fish in the photos and most of those are really good sized gills. Instead of filling the cooler with 9 and 10 inch fish why not require all the big slabs be released and let your clients keep the 6 and 7 inchers for the table? That is exactly what they do with the big cats on Tawakoni. The big fish go back in the water and they will let you catch a bunch of 2 and 3 pounders for the table. This insures good populations down the road.

Value the resource, don't treat it as a way to plus up your bank account.

Retired Navy Chief Signalman
NJROTC Instructor Tascosa High School
Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14435011 07/30/22 09:28 PM
V
Vogey Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
V
Slab...Would you be willing to provide the name and number for the biologist that you have been working extensively with ? Thanks...

Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14435058 07/30/22 10:23 PM
S
Slabrador Retriever Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
You overlooked this post Flags: It clearly states "even tho there is state imposed limit on bluegills I impose one myself

"I can certainly appreciate resource concerns Tom Rom and Vogey. That being said .harvest is absolutely imperative and even tho there is no " state imposed" limit on bluegills I impose one myself. We have not impacted the resource in the slightest and do know that bluegill are not only caught off beds...They are caught free roaming, in grass, on trees etc. Thanks for the feedback

For the record. Slabs this size don't start spawing when they get this size. The notion that these fish have not already contributed to the "gene pool" for several years is unfounded. From the time of maturity the genetics of these fish are circulated through the lake.

Lastly Flags..Guiding is how I take care of my family. ..u may not personally see value in a job like that but I do as well as many others. It's a really cool job!! This has been an interestingI thread. Please understand that 'm not seeking anyone's approval AT ALL but if you guys really want people to HEAR u and consider what you have to say u might be a bit more tactful. Your energy can be perceived as flagrant if someone didn't give u the benefit of the doubt.

Retrieving slabs one thump at a time!!! - Kyron
Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14435398 07/31/22 01:54 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I have kind of adopted Chuck's (Bankers) rule of thumb. The perfect eating size 7 to 9 inches. Anything over 9" goes back unless gut hooked. I am also OK with fish being kept as long as no laws are being broken. I have fished Fairfield a couple of times over the years and have always caught plenty of top quality fish. I also feel that "Trophy Fish" sunfish 10" or over should all be released. They are the gene pool of the water body. coolio

Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14435807 07/31/22 10:39 PM
D
deucer02 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
If Slab or anyone else, is over harvesting, there would be limits and size restrictions, and there are not. If he catches a lot of big ones, they're replaced by nature. That's how it works. Just like black bass and others, if you like to eat them, eat them.

Biden famously said in the New York Observer, “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”
Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14436159 08/01/22 12:24 PM
S
Smithaven Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
All of those fish will probably not get cleaned and cooked. A smaller self imposed limit on keepers makes sense. Catch all you want, but keep only enough for a meal or two.

[Linked Image].
Seventy five years of chasing the elusive sunfish.
Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14436530 08/01/22 05:39 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
I have always kept enough fish to eat throughout the year. I made sure that nothing went to waste. Most of my trips are catch & release. However I usually make a couple of trips a year where I stock up my freezer. I always stay in the limits and release the trophy fish to spawn again. That is just me. I do not care one way or the other what a angler keeps or releases as long as it is following the law.

Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14441945 08/07/22 11:41 AM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
I see pics of 100s of sandies lined up on boards and no one flinches..flinched...

My concern with these meat hauls like those and the one here is that the meat maybe wasted. I know a lot of guys who like to go out to "stock their freezer". And then a year later are throwing out tons of fish because it's freezer burned now

That is a serious problem.

Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14459464 08/25/22 09:28 PM
D
deucer02 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
There's a good reason why we can harvest fish like that.; It simply doesn't harm the population. If it did, there would be a limit. The state biologist probably has a little firmer grip than most of the critics on here. As far as a study in Wisconsin, that's a whole different ball game and has nothing to do with Texas. I'll leave limits and possession limits to the state biologists who are experts in that field. They are so plentiful, you can use them for cut bait. It's kind of like black bass. I eat every one I catch that's legal size.

Biden famously said in the New York Observer, “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”
Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14463985 08/31/22 02:01 PM
F
fshnbassrob Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Great trips there. Looks like everyone had some fun. I fish them(just not that size) with my daughter at Fork. Every once in while we get a few over 8 inches and just have a blast. They pull so hard on 3 and 4 lb line and a UL rod. I would like to learn more about catching the larger fish more consistently. Maybe just haven't found them on Fork yet.

What is the largest you have caught?

Re: Bluegill Guided trips (a few pics added) [Re: Slabrador Retriever] #14464328 08/31/22 06:40 PM
T
TomRom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Well unfortunately whether you see nothing wrong with what some think is meat hunting, it appears Fairfield will be closed to the public at the end of this year. Maybe the guides can offer their services to the new owners.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide